I'm Feeling Productive (Dear God!) AKA Villains, Vandles & those we love to Hate

Started by Chaos, July 28, 2007, 03:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turnsky

Alma Wade, Zero Wing Pixy, The Glorious Strategist, The thing (john carpenter version), Muro, aaaand Makaan

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: TheGreyRonin on July 28, 2007, 06:30:03 PM
The Moties (The Mote In God's Eye/ Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle).

The Moties are a thinking man's nightmare, and Joachim is the only fictional character I think I'd back down from in a fight under any circumstances. Especially with firearms.

Granted Joachim. Especially with the White Mice to back him up - but then, pretty much anyone in that entire team are not to be messed with.

As for the Moties... I don't think they're villains, per se. They're doing what they do because that's what they are, nothing more, nothing less. Granted, they're a thinking man's nightmare, but that's not because they're inherently evil, and my personal call on it is that a true villain is -required- to be evil.

And, given that, Joachim -is-, if only because he goes out of his way to generate terror in his subordinates...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Distracting

Yellow 13 (Ace Combat 04)

Goblin King (Labyrinth)

Snape (Harry Potter)
(would he really count?)

Orochi (Okami)

Lord Cutler Beckett (Pirates of the Caribbean)

The Laughing Man (Ghost in the Shell)

Dracula (the book Dracula)

TheGreyRonin

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 29, 2007, 03:58:12 AM

As for the Moties... I don't think they're villains, per se. They're doing what they do because that's what they are, nothing more, nothing less. Granted, they're a thinking man's nightmare, but that's not because they're inherently evil, and my personal call on it is that a true villain is -required- to be evil.

True, but by that definition, the critters in Alien aren't villains either. Also, villains often do not see themselves as evil; we deem them so by their intents and actions, but that's just our viewpoint.

It's why I have such a short list on here. Joachim, John, and Diogenes all qualify from nearly any viewpoint. I'd have to delve into my own creations to find very many that fit the bill and hadn't already been mentioned.

(And you know Joachim. You gain even more respect in my eyes, Sir Box.)

Slavkei

Ghost in the Shell spoilers!

The Laughing Man is not a villain. He's a HERO. Everyone just ASSUMES he's a villain, horribly incorrectly. But he's always on the good side.

Also, Joachim Armister from Castlevania: Lament of Innocence.

He was just hardcore. "I'll rule the WORLD! But first, I'll kill you!" and even more bonus points because he's playable.

bill

Sunblink

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on July 28, 2007, 09:47:18 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on July 28, 2007, 08:29:11 PM
I used to really like Drip, but after a certain incident which caused him to be pretty much lynched in almost everyone's minds,

~Keaton the Black Jackal
What incident are you referring to? Drip has done innumerable things that could instigate a lynching :lynched

Well, true. But I'm referring to a particularly terrible incident that I would go into more detail about, but I'm kind of worried about spoiling any events from the webcomic and inciting some potential Jack reader's rage.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

KarlOmega1

I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: TheGreyRonin on July 29, 2007, 05:07:58 AM
True, but by that definition, the critters in Alien aren't villains either. Also, villains often do not see themselves as evil; we deem them so by their intents and actions, but that's just our viewpoint.

I wouldn't class them as villains, either. Unless as a sort of easy description, for someone who wasn't willing to spend the thought to come up with a decent summation.

They're the "bad side", but, as with many truly excellent bad sides, they're not evil in and of themselves - they just do what they do, and do it well.

Quote from: TheGreyRonin on July 29, 2007, 05:07:58 AM
It's why I have such a short list on here. Joachim, John, and Diogenes all qualify from nearly any viewpoint. I'd have to delve into my own creations to find very many that fit the bill and hadn't already been mentioned.

(And you know Joachim. You gain even more respect in my eyes, Sir Box.)

Heh. I think Lieutenant Arne Huber was my introduction to Major Steuben, as part of The Warmasters - which also introduced me to Midshipwoman Honor Harrington, as I recall.

I've been looking for more (of both), but haven't found as much as I'd like of Steuben. I -do- have rather a lot of Harrington, though...

superluser

Others:

- Howard W. Campbell Jr. (From Mother Night)
- Circe (Odyssey)
- Bill Lumbergh (Office Space)
- Mr. Hand (Dark City)

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on July 29, 2007, 12:36:07 AMTrevor Goodchild of Aeon Flux.

I should point out that I specified the one from the series, not the film.  Trevor from the series was a fascinating character.  He was evil and brutal, and knew that he was evil and brutal, but he believed that he was doing what he had to--not what the people wanted, or what was for the greater good, but what his position required him to do.  The one from the film had a very different character.

And Robo-Hitler was easy to kill.  I think it was General Fettgesicht who was a dickens to kill.

Now, what is the OP doing with all of these villains?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Turnsky

to my mind, there's a few different classes of villian..

you have your a-typical evil villian
your bumbling variety of villian (dick dasterdly springs to mind)
Self serving, type, the ones that serve their own interests, can even perform an act for the greater good... should it be in their own interest, (xanatos is a good example)
Megolomanicas, evil for the sake of garnering more power and so forth.
mis-guided villians, who believe that they're doing a service for the greater good, even if they haveta pave a road to hell with their good intentions.
Villians who aren't... generally often seen as "the good guy" from the point of view of the people who serve them, often done with wars, etc in mind.

that's all i can think of right now.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: superluser on July 29, 2007, 06:04:40 PM
I should point out that I specified the one from the series, not the film.  Trevor from the series was a fascinating character.  He was evil and brutal, and knew that he was evil and brutal, but he believed that he was doing what he had to--not what the people wanted, or what was for the greater good, but what his position required him to do.  The one from the film had a very different character.

You implied I watched the movie.

I am offended sir. I have taste, thank you very much.  :mowtongue

(Also, on the topic of the thread: Zabulon, of the Night Watch novels.)
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

RJ

A lot of the villains from Pan's Labyrinth were amazingly freakish and well-thought out.

Ryudo Lee

I'm surprised that Bill is the only one going old-school here.  Lest we forget the classics.
Cobra Commander (GI Joe)
Megatron/Galvatron (Transformers)
Skeletor (He-Man)
Mum-ra (Thundercats)

And I'm surprised that no one's mentioned Kefka (FF6).  I thought he was pretty badass myself.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

bill

And Robo-Hitler was easy to kill.  I think it was General Fettgesicht who was a dickens to kill.
It's the concept that counts. It's Hitler(!!!) in a fucking robot suit(!!!). General Whatever wasn't that much more difficult by himself, but the level he was on was insanely difficult, because of creative use of the floor-type that resulted in you being charged by every enemy in the whole level.

superluser

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on July 30, 2007, 05:08:14 AMYou implied I watched the movie.

I don't think the film's as bad as people say.  Don't get me wrong; I think it's bad, just not that bad.  But there was a specific reason why I said ``from the series'' when I first mentioned him.

Chaos

Ok... Well

This is great, I have more then I need, and less. I con't ruin the project by telling you the end result, and the really crappy thing is that I am going on vacation, so I can't work on it till saturday most likey. (Worse still my scedual means that I'll only have sat to work on it.

Keep it up if you think of more, I'll be working on this as much as I can. (I will have some time tommorow before I leave.

Zina

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on July 30, 2007, 05:08:14 AM

You implied I watched the movie.

(Also, on the topic of the thread: Zabulon, of the Night Watch novels.)

People...people watched the movie?
.....why? D:

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on July 29, 2007, 12:45:39 PM

Well, true. But I'm referring to a particularly terrible incident that I would go into more detail about, but I'm kind of worried about spoiling any events from the webcomic and inciting some potential Jack reader's rage.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

You can't be referring to me.  I may have too much free time, but not that much too much.  Let's hear what made you hate Drip.

llearch n'n'daCorna

KarlOmega1

I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 30, 2007, 09:01:24 PMWhat's a "Vandle" ?

I *knew* that I wanted to comment on something in the thread.  I was at a laundromat once where there was a sign that proclaimed that there was a ``Reward for Reporting Theft or Vandelism.''  I bought a vinyl `A' from the hardware store and corrected the sign.

A few months later, it had been changed back.  I guess that laundromat owner was a villain I loved to hate.

As to those I love to hate--I'd have to say Major Nelson (at least in Dallas) and Erich von Stroheim.

RJ

More people should read Barry Trotter... Terry Valumart, lol.

(Because seriously, that scene from The Dead Horse was awfully familiar after reading Deathly Hallows)

JackLee1978

(Moved to page 3)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Oh, yes. Spelling Errors are truly evil. ;-]

BTW, Jack Lee, that tripod image doesn't work all that well...

Turnsky

Quote from: JackLee1978 on July 31, 2007, 07:04:34 AM
Hans Gruber and The Sheriff of Nottingham

Makoto Shishio, Rurouni Kenshin
Tenzen, Basilisk
Nakago, Fushigi Yūgi

One of the biggest villians in all of manga. Also it's my favorite manga.

"image hosted by tripod"?

Sunblink

Quote from: Raist on July 30, 2007, 06:14:35 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on July 29, 2007, 12:45:39 PM

~Keaton the Black Jackal

You can't be referring to me.  I may have too much free time, but not that much too much.  Let's hear what made you hate Drip.

Nonono, I was referring to any potential new reader in general. But alright, here's the spoiler:

Spoiler:

Drip molested and/or raped Fnar, Jack's little buddy, and later laughed about it in Jack's face. Thankfully, Jack pwned him up a few pages of ridicule and Drip-assholishness later.

End Spoiler

~Keaton the Black Jackal

techmaster-glitch

Oh, THAT incident. Yes, that was one of Drip's all-time worst acts he ever commited.