Abels story 5/5/07 Page #86 Blank Memory

Started by Zedd, May 05, 2007, 03:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiletto

You know, as someone who studies genetic engineering, I can say don't think of furries as so laughably unrealistic.

And I just popped in here because I'm avoiding a bit of work to share this incredibly unlikely theory with everyone about how this story is going to go. I say Cid was a cubi too, and as Abel says in comic 602, lots of adventures turned cubi have gone to Saia thinking they could show them who's boss, and been killed. Abel was already conceived though, so Aniz, to care for the young cubi Abel, impersonated Cid for some 25 years.

Yea, plenty of holes with that one, but it meant for the past few minutes I got to stop doing this weird math I was working on tonight. Thanks DMFA!

superluser

Quote from: stiletto on May 06, 2007, 01:09:29 AMAnd I just popped in here because I'm avoiding a bit of work to share this incredibly unlikely theory with everyone about how this story is going to go. I say Cid was a cubi too, and as Abel says in comic 602, lots of adventures turned cubi have gone to Saia thinking they could show them who's boss, and been killed. Abel was already conceived though, so Aniz, to care for the young cubi Abel, impersonated Cid for some 25 years.

Here's an entertaining theory--

What if Cid's parents fill out an application for him, and Cid mentions that he has a son.  Fa'Lina tells Aniz that he'd better watch the kid, like how Abel is told to tutor Dan.  Impersonating Cid for 25 years isn't Aniz's idea of fun, but the alternative is a mad Fa'Lina.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

stiletto

There's something about the idea of Fa'Lina's domineering presence (saccharine voice of malice?) being a constant over hundreds of years that makes me laugh. She must be very good at the job by now.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 05, 2007, 09:23:42 PM
I looked in the Demonology, and it doesn't say anywhere when the Undead joined, or when the CBC was actually formed. And in the note for Rachel-Rebecca the Third, it says that she has been dead for 34 years, yes, and that is also the same time when she won the case for her own murder, and then went on to install the laws

Also, Amber has mentioned that most of the Undead were created at the same time, by the same spell, that Rachel-Rebecca was under the influence of. Or, at least, that's the implication of the line, as I read it.

See the "History" paragraph.

against species creation, but I believe that was handeled by the Creature Council, not the CBC. Why? Because, technically, Rachel was a Creature at the time, and her murderer was, by extrapolation, almost certainly an Undead as well, because Rachel came back to life "because of the spell". Furthermore, when Alexei was going over Destania's past, she said that Beings wern't to accepting of Creatures at the time. That was aproximately two decades ago. I highly doubt that it would even be possible for the Creature-Being Council to exist at such a time. The rise of Being technology, and the slight decline of Creature intolerance, all seem to have been happening within the last two decades. I think that the Creature-Being Council is a direct product of that, even though the CBC's *ahem* inefficiency has also resulted in the continued survival of the adventuring business. And in explanation to how the Being world at large would know about the anti-species creation laws if they were made by the shadowed Creature Council, I am positive that the Creature Council must have had some involvement, possibly even the main cause of, the Creature-Being Council's formation. I'm sure that the Creatures originally thought that only magic could create new life, but if they saw the rise of Being technology, I'm sure that they would have guessed that magic might not be the only way. Which is why I think that they made sure the anti-species laws were installed and distributed by the Creature-Being Council, to the Beings. Which is why everyone knows about these laws.

Oh gosh, that was long. Great, I know I forgot something..... I'll just have to deal with whatever it is if it comes up.

Btw, can anyone give the URL for the "Jack" comic by David Hopkins that has been mentioned? It sounds interesting.

www.pholph.com

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on May 05, 2007, 11:27:03 PM
http://suicideforhire.comicgenesis.com/

Bwahahahahahaha! Well done, there. You win the Internet, but just for a day. :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on May 06, 2007, 12:05:39 AM
Not a few decades, but I'd bet less than 1000 years.  Possibly not around during Abel's story.  When I said the Creature-Being council before, I meant it more generally, like any judicial body composed of creatures and charged with judging creatures.

That's the kind of organisation I'm interested in, and I'd like to think the CBC, or some comparable organisation with a similar name, predates the undead affair.  (Otherwise I'll have to tweak my stories  >:3)

I looked in the Demonology, and it doesn't say anywhere when the Undead joined, or when the CBC was actually formed. And in the note for Rachel-Rebecca the Third, it says that she has been dead for 34 years, yes, and that is also the same time when she won the case for her own murder, and then went on to install the laws against species creation, but I believe that was handeled by the Creature Council, not the CBC.
Urf.  Gotta edit the wiki.  Thanks for catching that.

QuoteFurthermore, when Alexei was going over Destania's past, she said that Beings wern't to accepting of Creatures at the time. That was aproximately two decades ago. I highly doubt that it would even be possible for the Creature-Being Council to exist at such a time.
I wouldn't say that... think of Zinvth.  In fact, I think most cities have some kind of Creature protector, and therefore a grudging tolerance of Creatures (if not precisely acceptance) so the idea of some kind of legal council for Beings against Creatures within that environment seems a fairly natural progression.

Akaen (622 years old) is described as the current Angel delegate, which implies that he's replaced someone else.  I'm not quite sure what this implies, since it might be a rotating system with a new delegate every year or something.

QuoteThe rise of Being technology, and the slight decline of Creature intolerance, all seem to have been happening within the last two decades.
It's reached what the Creatures might called "danger point" within the last 25 years, but #286 says "over time this gap has come more and more narrow", not "a couple of decades ago".  As for Lost Lake, I would be inclined to believe that the attitude between Creatures and Beings varies from place to place.

QuoteI think that the Creature-Being Council is a direct product of that, even though the CBC's *ahem* inefficiency has also resulted in the continued survival of the adventuring business.
Actually it seems to be saying it was a big boost to the Adventuring industry.  Difficult to say what to make of that, when you consider Glory and company 400 years ago.

QuoteAnd in explanation to how the Being world at large would know about the anti-species creation laws if they were made by the shadowed Creature Council, I am positive that the Creature Council must have had some involvement, possibly even the main cause of, the Creature-Being Council's formation.
Oh, I agree.  I'd just like to know when  >:3

Quote from: stiletto on May 06, 2007, 01:09:29 AM
Abel says in comic 602, lots of adventures turned cubi have gone to Saia thinking they could show them who's boss, and been killed.
It doesn't say what happened to them, but I highly doubt they were all killed.  Forcibly restrained and reeducated is far more likely IMHO.  After all it's something they're going to be looking out for... even non-adventuring 'Cubi are likely to freak out somewhat, and say four trained 'Cubi guards wrapping their tentacles around a single crazed individual should be enough to pin them down without too much damage for either side.  And that's ignoring the idea of stun spells.

Anyway, the whole point of SAIA is to increase survival rates for young 'Cubi.  If SAIA had a high mortality rate for newbies - for any reason - word would get out that they were being taught things they couldn't cope with, rumours would start that Fa'Lina was nuts and had them killed out of hand, and the Clans would start to think it was safer to teach their young themselves.  No more applicants for SAIA...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

rabid_fox

Aniz is a glipe, there's no other way to put it. seems quite a pleasant chap too, except for the whole killing-impersonating-nose-punching part.

Similarities between him and Abel are so very, very obvious. I'm digging this groove.

Oh dear.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 06, 2007, 07:33:41 AM
It doesn't say what happened to them, but I highly doubt they were all killed.  Forcibly restrained and reeducated is far more likely IMHO.  After all it's something they're going to be looking out for... even non-adventuring 'Cubi are likely to freak out somewhat, and say four trained 'Cubi guards wrapping their tentacles around a single crazed individual should be enough to pin them down without too much damage for either side.  And that's ignoring the idea of stun spells.

"Smacked down and laughed at" seems more in Fa'Linas' style...

.. At least, according to strip 589 or so...

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 06, 2007, 09:15:47 AM
It has to be noted that Dan was unarmed, although I do agree.  If a young student faced her down with a weapon, yelling "let me out of here or I swear I'll kill you!", she'd probably do exactly the same to him even then.
But if you had a panicking 'Cubi warrior running down the corridors with a big sword, that would probably call for something a bit more drastic, at least until they'd calmed them down.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

candide

Quote from: candide on May 05, 2007, 09:25:37 PMAnd all of this speculation makes my head all hurtey.  Though it says much more about the people doin' the speculating than what might happen in the comic.  Aniz strikes May ... for reasons still unknown ... and some people respond with, "ZOMG!  He's eeeeebil!  He's a wife-beater!"
I also don't know why all evil people happen to be wife-beaters.
:
:
I think Amber has other reasons for this, so I'm not accusing her of it.
Weeell... it does now look highly incongruous.  Almost like Aniz was trying to backhand May but hit her too hard.

And my comment was more about seeing how others were reading things into a single slap across the face, the intent and intended force of which are still quite unknown.  Tends to say a lot about the readers doin' the reacting, and where their sensitivities lie, no?  ;)

Quote from: candide on May 05, 2007, 09:25:37 PMMe?  I see no more than 5 minutes of dialog transpiring between the faked heart attack and the latest strip.

I did Aniz's lines for strips 84-85 in 24 seconds--including a second take on a sentence.  I'd like to see how you could stretch that out to five minutes.
Yup.  I was just putting an upper-upper limit estimate on the transpired action from #83-#86.

Even though it takes us 3 weeks to see all of this, things inside the story are moving rather rapidly, ne?

SpottedKitty

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 06, 2007, 09:15:47 AM

.. At least, according to strip 589 or so...
I dunno, that probably depends on the stun efficiency of the average musical number...   ;)
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 06, 2007, 09:32:45 AM
It has to be noted that Dan was unarmed, although I do agree.  If a young student faced her down with a weapon, yelling "let me out of here or I swear I'll kill you!", she'd probably do exactly the same to him even then.
But if you had a panicking 'Cubi warrior running down the corridors with a big sword, that would probably call for something a bit more drastic, at least until they'd calmed them down.

... what, trip, slap, smack, "no running in the halls, boys" isn't enough to take the wind out of just about any young Cubi's sails?

Perhaps I have an excessive idea of what Fa'Lina might consider "reasonable force" for that particular situation... :-]

Quote from: SpottedKitty on May 06, 2007, 12:45:28 PM
I dunno, that probably depends on the stun efficiency of the average musical number...   ;)

Bwahahahahahaha :-) You, my friend, just won the Internet. At least for today. I think.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 06, 2007, 07:33:41 AM
Oh, I agree.  I'd just like to know when  >:3

Yeah, once again, just like in the "Who in the Lost Lake knows that Pyroduck is a Dragon?"(ONLY Abel and Fa'Lina, btw) situation, there is only one way to solve this...

*deep breath*

Oy, Amber! When was the Creature-Being Council actually formed? And was it before, or after, the Undead affair?

(wow, second request for Amber to post in about a week....... oh dear gods I hope I'm not being obnoxious.... :sweatdrop)

superluser

Quote from: candide on May 06, 2007, 12:15:36 PMAnd my comment was more about seeing how others were reading things into a single slap across the face, the intent and intended force of which are still quite unknown.

Er...uh, I don't think that ``I only intended to slap her a little bit'' holds much water.

Also, I'm not ĂĽber-powerful, and the last time I got into fisticuffs was in preschool, but I think I'd know how hard I'd have to slap someone to get her to bleed, and how hard I'd have to slap someone to have the effect of ``I just slapped you,'' and they're worlds apart.

Amber Williams

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 06, 2007, 02:04:06 PM
Yeah, once again, just like in the "Who in the Lost Lake knows that Pyroduck is a Dragon?"(ONLY Abel and Fa'Lina, btw) situation, there is only one way to solve this...

*deep breath*

Oy, Amber! When was the Creature-Being Council actually formed? And was it before, or after, the Undead affair?

I am not your magic 8 ball. Stop shaking me.

Kenji

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 06, 2007, 02:11:10 PM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 06, 2007, 02:04:06 PM

*deep breath*

Don't think of it as being an 8-ball. Think of it as a courteous shakedown.

techmaster-glitch

I know, and that's why I said I hope I'm not being obnoxious, which, apparently, I am. I apologize.  :<

llearch n'n'daCorna

How about bribery? Can we politely step up and bribe you into answering? :-]

superluser

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 06, 2007, 02:11:10 PMI am not your magic 8 ball. Stop shaking me.

Ah, the smackdown.  How I have known thee.

On a related note, Never, Never shake Amber.

(atrocious layout and typography aped from original)

(Is T-G what I looked like when I first joined?  Is...that what I still sound like?)

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Damaris on May 05, 2007, 12:10:45 PM
I'm thinking that Aniz is ebil, and this is his ebil genius speech.  Honestly, though- why would he care to be flat out evil toward this group.  It's two beings and a very immature cubi- they can't do anything to him.  I see his mood swings more as a cat playing with a mouse.  He's having his fun, getting his kicks, and will eventually decide to either let them go because they're not fun anymore, or kill them.  It's not like they're major players, so he doesn't really have to take them seriously.

Look I have to said is that Aniz failed his class in Monolog 101 in villian school...

Aniz is ebil and 25 years is not a long time to a Cubi.  He must be feeding gleefully on the fear and confusion of May and Abel... he is enjoying this feast he has been cooking and working on for 25 years...

Amber just give him the answer "ask again later or you'll see soon enough".

:mowcookie
PBH

Aleolus

Oh, god YES!  I know exactly how you feel, Aniz.  It seems the longer you spend preparing a speech, the faster you forget it when you actually go to give it.  I believe, though, that what you were thinking was something along the lines of explaining about your final, epic battle with Cid, and how you absorbed his dying mind (as is the Cubi way), but something gave you pause, and you came to take his place, and now you have come to feel the same way for May as Cid did, and you want to whisk her off to a luxurious resort you have up on top of a mountain far away, where you and she can raise dozens of cubi children together, including one by the name of Destiana!

Eibborn

Quote from: thegayhare on May 05, 2007, 01:34:03 PM

First hiding able away.
For most most of his life up until this point Abel was as vulnerable as any being, he required food and sleep.  Things an older cubi would no longer be as accustomed to as beings. he'd be forced to leave to provide food leaving the child vulnerable till he got back.  Second living a solitary life if any enemy discoverd Aniz nearby and located his lar Abel being the only other thing there would also be instantly discovered.

As for taking Abel to Saia,
I'd say He wouldn't want to risk it for 2 major reasons
1. even though Abel was bor with wins he might not have ended up fully cubi,  the fact that he had wins was enough to keep Aniz there or not trying again though so it was a good bet but there was still the off chance.

Hum. I'm fairly sure that Dan didn't eat normally even before he had his head-wings. Wasn't there a joke about him having survived on alcohol for years? It seems logical, then, to assume that he ate because it was what you do at mealtimes and the slept because that's what you do at nighttime. Not because he actually needed to.

And I'm pretty sure that Amber stepped on the 'half-cubi' idea. I may have missed some more recent statement, but didn't she say that you either are or are not, no in between?

The fact that no one else has pointed these out suggests that I'm wrong, but I'm not so sure.
/kicks the internet over

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Eibbor_N on May 06, 2007, 03:17:28 PM
And I'm pretty sure that Amber stepped on the 'half-cubi' idea. I may have missed some more recent statement, but didn't she say that you either are or are not, no in between?

The fact that no one else has pointed these out suggests that I'm wrong, but I'm not so sure.

Actually, it HAS been pointed out. Many. Times. So many times that poeple don't seem to bother with it anymore.

Janus Whitefurr

"Aniz~ How shall I go on? What shall I do?"
"...frankly my dear I don't give a damn."

*thwack*

</now it's out of my head, I'm outta here>
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

superluser

Quote from: Aleolus on May 06, 2007, 02:43:37 PMyou and she can raise dozens of cubi children together, including one by the name of Destiana!

I'm sure that will get confusing for Dan, having his tutor's sister named Destiana, and having his mother named Destania.

Moonfrost

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 05, 2007, 10:12:01 AM
Quote from: Netami on May 05, 2007, 06:38:27 AM
Quote from: Zaon on May 05, 2007, 05:22:27 AM
DON'T KILL ANIZ
KILL ANIZ
Oh God, somebody PLEASE make one of those icons where it switches from "Kill Aniz!" to "DON'T Kill Aniz." XD

~Keaton the Black Jackal

:) I'm on it.

((edit: removed some excess quote tree. Trim, trim, trim. -- llearch ))

Psychogirl

Quote from: Moonfrost on May 06, 2007, 04:28:33 PM
:) I'm on it.

Oh, this'll be interesting.

In other cases, random cat!  :januscat

((edit: quote tree needed pruning. -- llearch ))

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Psychogirl on May 06, 2007, 04:39:12 PM
Oh, this'll be interesting.

In other cases, random cat!  :januscat
Just cuz I want in on this too...
Sodomize Aniz with an electric prod like Reynaud did to Mello in DFH(Destruction Force Hyper), THEN kill him!

((edit: *prune* -- llearch ))

Moonfrost

<-- it took me... a whole 12 mins to do that XD

May's face was just too perfect. XD

15mins + Photoshop + ImageReady + Imageshack = FTW!  :)

Damn... I've modified this post like, 6 7 8 times already XD

thegayhare

Quote from: Eibbor_N on May 06, 2007, 03:17:28 PM

Yes you either are or you arn't but a cubi I'm saying that being born with wings might not mean your a cubi.  It increases the chance of being a cubi but there could still be a chance that the headwings never come in

Moonfrost

Quote from: superluser on May 06, 2007, 02:23:40 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on May 06, 2007, 02:11:10 PMI am not your magic 8 ball. Stop shaking me.

Ah, the smackdown.  How I have known thee.

On a related note, Never, Never shake Amber.

(atrocious layout and typography aped from original)

(Is T-G what I looked like when I first joined?  Is...that what I still sound like?)
:giggle Funny. I'll -try- and make a better one for you. :P