the list of movies that make better coasters

Started by GabrielsThoughts, February 01, 2007, 11:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xuzaf D

Quote from: superluser on February 03, 2007, 02:13:08 AM
Quote from: Warlike on February 03, 2007, 01:33:16 AMYeah, I've been through this before. Basically, the action isn't that great, and the story is just some bullcrap they made up for the sake of putting swordsmen in New York. Go on and name the great and enlightening things about this movie, I dare you.

Well, not every movie has to be M.  It was a fun film, and yes, a large part of it had to do with getting swordsmen in New York. 

I also thought that the police procedural concept was pretty interesting.  What do you do when you have a (reasonably peaceful) guy who can't die whose defining characteristics show up hundreds of years in the past?
M? as in MA? You think my complaint is about the lack of pointless gore? What does anybody honestly care about what generic idiot cops do?

The fact that the story takes place in different times is the setting, not the story.

QuotePosted by: Valynth  Posted on: Today at 02:18:58 AM   
QuoteQuote from: Warlike on Today at 01:32:53 AM
Yeah, I've been through this before. Basically, the action isn't that great, and the story is just some bullcrap they made up for the sake of putting swordsmen in New York.

Okay, remove a person's head with a pistol while it's constantly regenerating and then you can whine.  Until then, blades are the way to go.

There are other methods of relieving the body of it's head and, infact, there was an episode in the T.V. show, in which a train did the job I believe.
Wuht!? Your saying that I actually have to try and kill a highlander without a sword before I can complain that the only proper manner of death dealing is with one? Why bring up the one exception then?

Honestly Valynth, all you managed to do is point the god-moding nature of highlanders.

Jim Halisstrad

ZARDOZ!!!!

DUDE thats some classic B movie matterial right there!
It's got Sean Connery in a spedo type thing for crying out loud!

I loved every minute of it XD

Xuzaf D

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on February 03, 2007, 03:30:56 AM
ZARDOZ!!!!
ME=SOLD!
::does the netflix thing::

superluser

Quote from: Warlike on February 03, 2007, 03:26:50 AMM? as in MA?

No, M as in M.

Peter Lorre?  Fritz Lang?  Voted best German film ever?

Quote from: Warlike on February 03, 2007, 03:26:50 AMYou think my complaint is about the lack of pointless gore? What does anybody honestly care about what generic idiot cops do?

Well, I do, because the characters were portrayed in an interesting and engaging light.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

RJ

If I remember right, there was a movie made back in 2004 actually called 'The 50 Worst Movies Ever Made'.

But anyway, here's one I remember: The Curse of the Cat People.

It was made back in the 40s I think. The original 'Cat People' wasn't too bad for an old horror movie. It would have creeped people out back then, and there were a couple good psychological points in it.

BUT! The sequel was completely stupid. I remember watching it and thinking it could almost pass for a kid's movie. It has some psychological stuff in it, but still- the only horror you get out of it is from having to watch it.

Boog

Here's one for ya; Aeonflux. This one's iffy because, while as a movie it's not so bad in and of itself, it will make you want to watch the animated series. This is wotcha call a bad idea. It was as though they tried to take the twilight zone, then add recurring characters, MTV flair (meaning random sex and dull endings), and kill the main character in every episode past the third or fourth.

superluser

Quote from: Boogeyman on February 03, 2007, 08:23:02 PMit will make you want to watch the animated series. This is wotcha call a bad idea.

:plzdie

Æon Flux...bad?  You cannot be serious.  The film was the bad idea.

Listen carefully, because the next sentence causes me great pain, and I hope to never say it again.  They should have cast Angelina Jolie in that role.  She's a tall, angular, mannish woman with enormous lips and the right haircut to match.

Also, Peter Chung should have been involved in the film.  He was not.  So instead of a work of art as a commentary on th violence and tropes of action films, we got a generic ``Girls kick ass, too!'' film.  Plus, they changed Trevor Goodchild from the conflicted character with the White Man's Burden into a good guy who's been dragged along by the actions of the monster that he created.

Stygian

There is one movie that sucks the ass off everything else so hard that it takes the cellulites, the muscles and the very dust off the bonestructure with it, and that is Deathrace 2000. All categories. And it's got Sylvester Stallone in it.

Now, please don't bring up those ten minutes of memory again... please.

Valynth

Quote from: Warlike on February 03, 2007, 03:26:50 AM
Yeah, I've been through this before. Basically, the action isn't that great, and the story is just some bullcrap they made up for the sake of putting swordsmen in New York.

Okay, remove a person's head with a pistol while it's constantly regenerating and then you can whine.  Until then, blades are the way to go.

There are other methods of relieving the body of it's head and, infact, there was an episode in the T.V. show, in which a train did the job I believe.
Wuht!? Your saying that I actually have to try and kill a highlander without a sword before I can complain that the only proper manner of death dealing is with one? Why bring up the one exception then?

Honestly Valynth, all you managed to do is point the god-moding nature of highlanders.

...You just refuse to read anything I say don't you?

1)  I said BLADE, not SWORD.  Learn to read genius.

2)  All you need to do to kill a highlander in remove the head.  All that "god mod" was simply they couldn't age(the most common killer of men by the way).  Hell, you get that with standard undead and they can't feel pain!  So why don't you scream about zombie movies being God-moders?  I demand for you to think!

The next time you claim "LOZOrz theRZ gDOzors mOdzers"  accutally watch the damn stuff.  You'll see they don't "god mod."

edit:  Oh, and zombie movies also have far more of the "god modzors" runing around an "unstoppable hoard" I believe.  In Highlander, there are only a select few.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Boog

Quote from: superluser on February 03, 2007, 08:53:02 PM
Quote from: Boogeyman on February 03, 2007, 08:23:02 PMit will make you want to watch the animated series. This is wotcha call a bad idea.

:plzdie

Æon Flux...bad?  You cannot be serious.  The film was the bad idea.

Some parts I liked, but overall I felt like the show was kinda weak. Merely my opinion.

Xuzaf D

Quote from: Valynth on February 03, 2007, 09:22:01 PM
Quote from: Warlike on February 03, 2007, 03:26:50 AM

...You just refuse to read anything I say don't you?

1)  I said BLADE, not SWORD.  Learn to read genius.

2)  All you need to do to kill a highlander in remove the head.  All that "god mod" was simply they couldn't age(the most common killer of men by the way).  Hell, you get that with standard undead and they can't feel pain!  So why don't you scream about zombie movies being God-moders?  I demand for you to think!

The next time you claim "LOZOrz theRZ gDOzors mOdzers"  accutally watch the damn stuff.  You'll see they don't "god mod."

edit:  Oh, and zombie movies also have far more of the "god modzors" runing around an "unstoppable hoard" I believe.  In Highlander, there are only a select few.

RAHAHAHA... Man I love this place...

To the DICTIONARY:

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/blade

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/sword

There synonyms unless you were refering a blade that wasn't a weapon. I somehow doubt this conversation was about a leaf or perhaps a Marvel Comics charactor.

As for the thing that I'm not allowed to call godmoding; if Highlanders can only die on HIGHLY SPECIFIC TERMS, that's just cheap. The eternal life is unrelated to that point because living is the opposite of dying.

I'll also note that your zombie example is void due the numerous differences between a hoard of the undead and a lone immortal with a sword blade.

Damaris

Zardoz has Sean Connery in a speedo?  From what I understand, it's full Sean frontal.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

bill

Quote from: Damaris on February 03, 2007, 11:02:42 PM
Zardoz has Sean Connery in a speedo?  From what I understand, it's full Sean frontal.
I'll admit that that does have some morbid appeal for me.

Valynth

Quote from: Warlike on February 03, 2007, 10:44:28 PM
RAHAHAHA... Man I love this place...

To the DICTIONARY:

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/blade

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/sword

There synonyms unless you were refering a blade that wasn't a weapon. I somehow doubt this conversation was about a leaf or perhaps a Marvel Comics charactor.

As for the thing that I'm not allowed to call godmoding; if Highlanders can only die on HIGHLY SPECIFIC TERMS, that's just cheap. The eternal life is unrelated to that point because living is the opposite of dying.

I'll also note that your zombie example is void due the numerous differences between a hoard of the undead and a lone immortal with a sword blade.

They aren't synonyms you idiot, blade refers to any cutting implement and there are more than swords.  An axe has a blade too.  As does a halberd or a guillotine.  And you're saying I should classify such things as swords?  What about your razor?  It has a blade, does that mean you should start saying "I shaved with a sword!" ?

Also, the only difference between the two is that the highlander has the ability to think(AKA they live), whereas zombies only think about killing everything else(AKA no room for in depth plot).  Note:  Zombies only die due to head shot, removal, or destruction.  Highlanders die due to head removal or enough bodily damage to be declared as such.  Only a slight difference and not really enough warrant a "god moders" screach.  Otherwise you might as well scream that about any movie that tried to come up with anything unique.

Besides, I thought Highlander was better than zombies cause highlanders had to deal with loved ones crumbling away whereas zombies don't really care about anything.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.

Xuzaf D

QuoteThey aren't synonyms you idiot, blade refers to any cutting implement and there are more than swords.  An axe has a blade too.  As does a halberd or a guillotine.  And you're saying I should classify such things as swords?  What about your razor?  It has a blade, does that mean you should start saying "I shaved with a sword!" ?

Fine then; a sword is in no way a blade. Does that make you happy?

QuoteNote:  Zombies only die due to head shot, removal, or destruction.  Highlanders die due to head removal or enough bodily damage to be declared as such.  Only a slight difference and not really enough warrant a "god moders" screach.
Zombies dying from "destruction" is extremely wide open as to the method. Dying exclusively from decapitation is not. That is a major difference.

Otherwise you might as well scream that about any movie that tried to come up with anything unique.

What the flying fuck? How do you come up with that conclusion? I simply don't like one movie with a lame ass story about cheap immortal swordsmen and now I hate every film that's "unique." Highlander is about as unique as the skids I leave on toilet paper; sometimes smelling different, but still pretty much the old crap.

superluser

So here's a question: Does Evil Dead count as so bad that it's good, or is it just good?  Because it was meant to be that bad, and it comes out as extremely entertaining.

Valynth

Quote from: Warlike on February 04, 2007, 12:04:08 AM
QuoteThey aren't synonyms you idiot, blade refers to any cutting implement and there are more than swords.  An axe has a blade too.  As does a halberd or a guillotine.  And you're saying I should classify such things as swords?  What about your razor?  It has a blade, does that mean you should start saying "I shaved with a sword!" ?

Fine then; a sword is in no way a blade. Does that make you happy?
In order for it to be a synonym it has to have a meaning that is the EXACT same as the other words.  Swords are a sub-set of blades.  All swords are bladed weapons, but not all blades are swords.

QuoteNote:  Zombies only die due to head shot, removal, or destruction.  Highlanders die due to head removal or enough bodily damage to be declared as such.  Only a slight difference and not really enough warrant a "god moders" screach.
Zombies dying from "destruction" is extremely wide open as to the method. Dying exclusively from decapitation is not. That is a major difference.

You do realise I was talking about destruction of the head right?  You know, that thing on your neck that you apparently refuse to use.  And I'm pretty sure that if it kills a zombie, it kills a highlander.

Otherwise you might as well scream that about any movie that tried to come up with anything unique.

What the flying fuck? How do you come up with that conclusion? I simply don't like one movie with a lame ass story about cheap immortal swordsmen and now I hate every film that's "unique." Highlander is about as unique as the skids I leave on toilet paper; sometimes smelling different, but still pretty much the old crap.

Name for me another series done in live action when there is a group immortal swordsmen who must kill each other 'till there is only one and is set in New York that came out before Highlander set the standard.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on February 03, 2007, 03:30:56 AM
ZARDOZ!!!!

DUDE thats some classic B movie matterial right there!

I think it's fabulous.  How can you not love a film which starts with a giant stone head descending from the sky to tell its worshippers that "THE GUN IS GOOD!"?

And as for the Tabernacle?  So many lovely error messages to choose from.  I used to have Windows decked out with them.

http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/test/z/cannot.wav
http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/test/z/noconclu.wav
http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/test/z/notpermt.wav

(These were recorded in 11Khz/8 bit for Doom.  You might not be able to stream them)

Of course, although they've developed an optical, self-aware computer system, they don't seem to have discovered SQL which is why the database search for the cars takes two weeks...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Darkmoon

This topic is seriously boring now. Highlander wasn't that great a flick to begin with. We don't need two pages of ranting back and forth about it.

Shut up already and take it to PMs if you have to. One more comment about the original Highlander movie (or the conversation that occured after it was mentioned), and I'll close this thread.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Zina

Quote from: superluser on February 04, 2007, 01:15:40 AM
So here's a question: Does Evil Dead count as so bad that it's good, or is it just good?  Because it was meant to be that bad, and it comes out as extremely entertaining.

Yes. D:
I watched it for the first time a few days ago. I've been missing out.

Tiger_T

Postman and Waterworld. Need I say more?

*bows*
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Xuzaf D

Quote from: Darkmoon on February 04, 2007, 12:02:46 PM
This topic is seriously boring now. Highlander wasn't that great a flick to begin with. We don't need two pages of ranting back and forth about it.

Shut up already and take it to PMs if you have to. One more comment about the original Highlander movie (or the conversation that occured after it was mentioned), and I'll close this thread.
Sorry about that. I just don't like it when someone feels the need to attack me like that.

On to the regular subject. Why the hell is it then whenever to giant forces come together and have a Versus movie, it usually ends up sucking ass?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Aliens vs Predator, type thing? (honorable mention to alienlovespreadator, of course.)

Or are you referring to Godzilla vs Mothra type movies?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

RJ

Kenji

Any horror movie created for the "Boo!" factor. Just random jumping outs as opposed to actual mind f*%@ing.
Any movie based on one or more species, but then ending up focusing on some loser group of humans.
Aliens Vs. Predator did it.
Primevil did it.
Transformers, by the looks of the human/transformer ratio on IMDB, looks like it'll do it.

I'd watch, and have watched the ones that were out, to see the fighting and the creatures. Not some loser group of human fighting and bickering.

Oh, and the entire X-Men trilogy, Hulk, Superman Returns, Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic Four, and every new Batman movie after the Catwoman/Penguin one. Especially the Batman ones. Gah, I hate it when they try to do the deep dark evil "I'm your worst nightmare" voice, and suck at it. He's supposed to act gruff and mysterious, not sound like he's a teenager going through puberty that's been smoking for years.

Manawolf

*Sigh* man do I need to see more movies, but perhaps I've been scared out of the theaters from seeing the commercials for so much crap.

Okay, the only bad movies that come to my mind right now are pretty much all of the video game to movies, as they almost always mangle the plot, use sucky actors, and a good number were also directed by Uwe Boll.

I have yet to actually walk out of a theater because of seeing a crappy movie, but that's because I usually make sure or just don't go at all.

I do remember TMNT 3, that was horrible.  Bad costumes, bad dialogue, sucky plot that has nothing to do with the show (once again, killing the appeal to the largest part of the audience for it), it was just plain bad.

The problem is I usually don't realize how bad these films are until the second time.  My mind's on auto pilot the first time and certain things escape my notice, such as batman armor nipples.  I suppose my awareness in video games is more profound than it is in movies.

Also, I'm against slasher flicks, nto just because many of them suck, but because I suppose I'm more of the action/horror kind of guy, who would rather see the monster or villain go after some competent pray.

Which reminds me, Doom was disappointing as well.  I liked the First Person part of it, but the rest was BS.  We didn't even get to see the BFG tear one of the hell knights a new one.

RJ

....Batman armour nipples...  :giggle

Funnily enough, I bought my dad the first four Batman movies for Christmas and they kept mentioning the nipple thing in the special features.

That and almost all the crew felt like they were making some kind of toy commercial...

Manawolf

And how did I let Freeze running on diamonds slip past me?  Sure, they could make a good focus, but a power source?

Xuzaf D

AVP is a good example. There's also Underworld.

Underworld had some retarded were-wolf designs if I recall correctly, but then again, most movie wolfmen have had a history of looking more like monkey suits with oversized teeth.

Manawolf

I still want to see a lycanthrope movie that isn't vs. vampires, and has more lycanthropes than just wolves.  I know some people who are still waiting for their werebear with an ax.