1/26/2007 Spiders In My Hair‼

Started by Tiny crested flint, January 25, 2007, 08:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fex

looks like we can ad the spider fear to Abel's fear list

LionHeart

Quote from: Azlan on January 25, 2007, 10:47:19 PM
There is an artificial distinction usually made for the "fur" on one's head and that on the rest of the body.  Its one of the noticeable human traits in anthropomorphism.

That, and some people confuse the issue further (no pun intended!) by using the term "headfur" to refer to the hair on their character's head...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Gabi

Quote from: Fex on January 26, 2007, 03:07:44 AM
looks like we can ad the spider fear to Abel's fear list
That's what I was thinking. Poor Abel. It must be awful to be afraid of so many things. And even worse, to be afraid of so many things and still try to look tough.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sid on January 25, 2007, 09:07:32 PM
This goes right with the observations so far, but I'm glad that it's now proper Canon. :)
Fa'Lina didn't really know of Daniel's existence or location. She also didn't see Pyro being at Lost Lake. Or him dating.
Her being in tune with the Academy makes perfect sense, but godlike senses that span the entire world? Nope.

While I'm convinced that's the case, it's not actually what she said.  She's just said that she has 'complete insight' when she's within the Academy but not when she's outside of it.

She hasn't clarified to what extent she can predict things which happen outside the Academy while she is inside it.  (She seems to have big problems predicting Abel's behaviour at the best of times)

Anyroad, I've updated the wiki to reflect what she's said and Abel's phobias (how the heck did I leave out the haemophobia business?)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Tycoon

This comic has the best art in the series so far for sure.

I think that the two months is in reference to the amount of time that Fa'Lina can keep her semi-omnipotence out of SAIA. She probably used her mind reading ability on Abel when he gacked up his statement, because you can't really expect a guy to keep up a mind shield when he gets freaked out by a spider.

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Zedd on January 25, 2007, 08:58:30 PMI thought boobszilla was reseved for Wildy...
yep... fa'lina is more like Boobicron
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Zedd

Quote from: Jack McSlay on January 26, 2007, 06:02:31 AM
Quote from: Zedd on January 25, 2007, 08:58:30 PMI thought boobszilla was reseved for Wildy...
Boobicron! Eater of guy faces!

MT Hazard

You don't really have to have a phobia of spiders to be freaked out by them. I had a wolf spider land by my head while I was trying to get to sleep once, that made me jump. Anything crawling in your hair (or even your personal space) is likely to be upsetting.

In one of the previous strips Abel referred to his room as 'the spider filled room' do you think he'd stay there if he has arachnophobia?

Edit: something just occurred to me on seeing Fa'Lina (especially that her lipstick doesn't go all the way back)would DMFA Canines be able to drink without lapping? can they drink from a glass/cup normally? What would be the social rules regarding this?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tycoon on January 26, 2007, 05:56:32 AM
She probably used her mind reading ability on Abel when he gacked up his statement, because you can't really expect a guy to keep up a mind shield when he gets freaked out by a spider.

I don't really know how 'cubi mind-shields work but they are magic-based - most likely an innate ability, and something of an automatic process like the spell Abel used on Jyrras.
I don't think they're as prone to distractions as the deliberate mental exercises Beings often use to hide their thoughts.

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 26, 2007, 06:05:36 AM
You don't really have to have a phobia of spiders to be freaked out by them.  In one of the previous strips Abel referred to his room as 'the spider filled room' do you think he'd stay there if he has arachnophobia?

I deliberately avoided the term in the wiki since we don't know how strong it is or whether it's a true phobia.  Bear in mind that he kills them on sight, though (see 607)

By way of comparison, I have an irrational fear of fungi.  Whether it's a phobia as such I couldn't say, but it's very deep-seated.  If I see them on a grass verge while walking past, I will hold my breath until I've gone past, most likely to avoid breathing in the spores.  It's not completely a conscious decision.  Last August I was walking through the woods quite happily until I came across a whole load of the things and froze immediately.  Later on it occurred to me that I was using exactly the same reflex as a small animal spotting a predator.
I'm thinking Abel's reaction is akin to this.  If someone hid a mushroom in my drawer or backpack at work, I would behave very much like Abel in this strip.

Jack McSlay

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 26, 2007, 06:05:36 AMEdit: something just occurred to me on seeing Fa'Lina (especially that her lipstick doesn't go all the way back)would DMFA Canines be able to drink without lapping? can they drink from a glass/cup normally? What would be the social rules regarding this?
you can notice on the second panel that she can stretch her cheek all the way to the end of her muzzle. Even real canines can do that except to a lower extent, when they do prolonged barks, they stretch their cheeks to cover half of their muzzles.
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 26, 2007, 06:21:51 AMI don't really know how 'cubi mind-shields work but they are magic-based - most likely an innate ability, and something of an automatic process like the spell Abel used on Jyrras.

I'm of the opinion that it's less explicitly casted magic and more of that innate ability, like sucking in your chest.  Abel can shift shapes, himself, or shift others, but not using the same techniques.  I would assume the same about shields.

Actually, I've got a story rattling around that involves mind reading, but follows a completely different theory, which makes mind shields (A) really expensive, and (B) usually idiotic.

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 26, 2007, 06:21:51 AMBear in mind that he kills them on sight, though (see 607)

Well, we don't know that he's responsible for those spider deaths.  He could have told the basement rats about them, and they killed them.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Gareeku

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on January 26, 2007, 06:48:07 AM
I'm of the opinion that it's less explicitly casted magic and more of that innate ability, like sucking in your chest.  Abel can shift shapes, himself, or shift others, but not using the same techniques.  I would assume the same about shields.

Probably, but the point is that it's probably too low-level to be disrupted by emotional impacts very much.  Whereas with a consciously-maintained shield of the type non-magical Beings use - apparently by concentrating on irrelevant things to keep the more important thoughts hidden - a sufficiently big distraction ought to give you a chink in their armour.

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 26, 2007, 06:21:51 AMBear in mind that he kills them on sight, though (see 607)
Well, we don't know that he's responsible for those spider deaths.  He could have told the basement rats about them, and they killed them.

That's more likely.  Either way, he wants them dead so I'd say it's bordering on a phobia.

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Zedd on January 26, 2007, 06:05:14 AM
Boobicron! Eater of guy faces!

You noticed that too? the Boobinator will Boobinate you. Anywho Abel hates spiders If i was torturing Abel I will bring out every spider including the hairy Tarantula I will get every secrets from SAIA and everything else to boot as a bonus  >:3 >:3.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 26, 2007, 07:02:27 AMProbably, but the point is that it's probably too low-level to be disrupted by emotional impacts very much.  Whereas with a consciously-maintained shield of the type non-magical Beings use - apparently by concentrating on irrelevant things to keep the more important thoughts hidden - a sufficiently big distraction ought to give you a chink in their armour.

(1) Low-level or not, I don't think that emotions are likely to have any effect on experienced `cubi's mind shields. (Yay for agreement!)

(2) While we know that Aary could hear Jyrras' cover, we don't know that it was actually effective in stopping her from reading any of his other thoughts.

(3) Jyrras seems to have an irrational fear of `cubi.  Perhaps he recognizes this, and that's why he's so sensitive to anti-`cubi racism in others?

P.S.

Quote from: Manawolf on January 26, 2007, 02:43:55 AMMeh, would be cool to see a cubi in action, though.  The whole transformation midway and then soulsucking upon orgasm.  Double points for the guy still going out with a smile.

That very smile is already featured in panel 3...

Akisohida

Quote from: Kenji on January 25, 2007, 08:50:17 PM
Mr. Akisohida! Just what were you doing hiding under Dan's bed, hmm?

Frizzled tails are better than normal ones. Cause they's fluffeh. :3

Hey! Those must be my neices and nephiews considering the fact that I am just too big to fit under a bed and in someones hair! ^.^ Plus, what is wrong with spiders? The more legs one has, the more ways a person can be hugged!
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

ShiningShadow

Yayyyyyy spider hugs. I love spiders to when I catch a fly with my barehands and rip off the wings and feed the to a spider watching it putting in the poision to paralyseand take it deeper in its home to devour it some more.

superluser

Sunblink

Regardless of how many spider characters I have, or characters with some affiliation to spiders in general (Such as the ability to talk to them, or a clan with a spider-shaped marking), I'm scared crapless of spiders. Hate 'em. Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate. How some of you guys could NOT be afraid of them, I have no idea. *starts scrubbing away the taint from looking at the jumping spider picture*

As repeated before, poor Abel. If I had spiders in my hair, I'd likely die from a heart attack before even screaming about them being there. Fa'Lina, get your big-boobied butt down there and start putting that newspaper to good, spider-squishing use!

~Keaton the Black Jackal

ShiningShadow

I think its a coo thing not to be afraid of spiders. But If you hate them hey get a shoe, newspaper, or a 2x4 to kill these buggers.

Sid

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 26, 2007, 08:19:28 AM
Regardless of how many spider characters I have, or characters with some affiliation to spiders in general (Such as the ability to talk to them, or a clan with a spider-shaped marking), I'm scared crapless of spiders. Hate 'em. Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate. How some of you guys could NOT be afraid of them, I have no idea. *starts scrubbing away the taint from looking at the jumping spider picture*

As repeated before, poor Abel. If I had spiders in my hair, I'd likely die from a heart attack before even screaming about them being there.

Yup, I'm also scared of them. Not to the degree of having arachnophobia (I can watch them on TV and on pictures, even though I don't like it, but finding one clinging to my wall makes me twitch a bit. Or a good bit, depending on size.), but finding one in my hair would produce an Abel-like reaction.

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 26, 2007, 08:19:28 AM
Fa'Lina, get your big-boobied butt down there and start putting that newspaper to good, spider-squishing use!

"Big-boobied butt" gives me all sorts of wrong mental images... :erk
And I think she'll wait until Abel comes out from under the bed, spider still in his hair, before... *KER-CRACK*
You know, two birds and one stone... >:3
:boogie

Alan Garou

I love spiders. They're tiny, fuzzy, and skitter around. But I absolutely hate scorpions. They click, they clatter, they move randomly, and they're horribly poisonous. So I can understand why Abel reacts a similar way to spiders. But that doesn't mean it isn't funny.  :giggle And who else thinks that when Abel gets out from under there, Fa'Lina will smack the spiders with the newspaper, then whack Abel on the nose with it?

Alondro

*Charline erfs at the spiders in Abel's hair*  See?  I'm not the only one.   :<

*Charles hmms*  I wonder if Fa'lina's forsight has anything to do with the Librarian...
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Akisohida

Quote from: Alondro on January 26, 2007, 09:53:18 AM

*Charles hmms*  I wonder if Fa'lina's forsight has anything to do with the Librarian...

I still think Charline is playing hard to get. ;)

It would be nice to know more about the library incident, yes. Fa seems to know alot and let on to alot more. :)
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Alondro

Quote from: Akisohida on January 26, 2007, 11:06:16 AM
Quote from: Alondro on January 26, 2007, 09:53:18 AM

I still think Charline is playing hard to get. ;)

*Charline hmphs and holds an extra-large can of RAID*  You just wanna suck out my innards!  Back!  Back!   :tantrum

*Charles pooookes Fa'lina's bosom*  Even beeeger boobehs!  *poke poke poke poke*

*Alondro makes a rare appearance  to warn*  You may not want to be doing that..

*Charles bah*  Fa'lina's in the comic!  She can't do anything to me!  *poke poke poke*

*Alondro blinks*  But you're touching her.  That means you've crosses over teh fourth wall and are thus vulnerable to her wrath*

*Charles poke poke... poke... ... poke*  Uh-oh...  *a scene of indescribable carnage*  :knifed
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

ShiningShadow

But in my case I find spiders very fascinating and fun to look at and to smash them when needed. If I see a very large spide comming towards me I pull out my 50. Cal machine gun and pull the trigger.

Prof B Hunnydew

Great Pixies, Guys, We have the Amber drawing better and better.... And All I hear is Wow, Hippo hips and Boobszilla remarks.  Yes, Fa'lina has change since her first apppearance in #425 comic,(no, I'm not linking to it, look it up) and that was two years or more ago.  Fa'lina has become more defined.  And since the SAIA arc, Amber hasn't been afraid for a little fan-service art.  Sure Fa'lina's dress is a little ... different, but she is a shapeshifter, so she can add and accent anything she wants.

Murf, You guys, act like you have all been bottlefed or something.... :mowhappy

:mowtongue
PBH

BTW: I like the two panel best...

thegayhare

Quote from: Alondro on January 26, 2007, 01:32:09 PM

*Charline hmphs and holds an extra-large can of RAID*  You just wanna suck out my innards!  Back!  Back!   :tantrum

Charline you never answered the question I posed to you in the Hippo hips thread

Is it just spiders or is italso other insects  to?

Stygian

Quote from: thegayhare on January 26, 2007, 02:22:01 PM
Quote from: Alondro on January 26, 2007, 01:32:09 PM

Charline you never answered the question I posed to you in the Hippo hips thread

Is it just spiders or is italso other insects  to?

I believe there is a simple way to find an answer to that...  *pulls out a ruler-long centipede and puts it on Charline's back*  Also, stop screaming, Charles! That's what she does to everyone she loves, obviously...  *takes a look at the offtopicness*

Speaking of the strands, does The Gay Hare have Gay Hair?

KarlOmega1

Ok...too many mentions of certain anatomy in thread...

I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius