[Art] Keaton the Black Jackal: Commission Preview~ (21/10/09)

Started by Sunblink, January 19, 2007, 10:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Keaton awesome?

Yes
8 (32%)
Yes
4 (16%)
You couldn't think of a good replacement poll, could you?
13 (52%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Arroyo Milori

OH BOY I GET THE CRITIQUE KEATON'S STUFF THAT I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT! : DDDD

*ahem* well, the ups to the picture are possibly the coloring and the lineart, which are great! But something about the Muzzle feels a bit...off. : <

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 07, 2009, 07:17:27 PM
I see where you're coming from, but I just can't bring myself to like the eye shape in the last picture because the eyes are too disproportionately large and human. I just looked up a picture of a wolf's eye shape and this is what I got.

Right.  The reference I have has a longer eye (I mean, obviously the eyeball is still round, but the black traces are larger and more almond-shaped).  That's not an online reference and it's actually a painting so who knows, the artist could have messed up.  Or it could be a different wolf species.

And yes, I guess the eyes are a bit on the large side.  Actually I remember now, that used to be something of a problem with your eyes a few years back.  I hadn't noticed but you seem to have overcome it, which is cool.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sunblink

Quote from: Arroyo Milori on October 07, 2009, 07:17:50 PM
OH BOY I GET THE CRITIQUE KEATON'S STUFF THAT I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT! : DDDD

*ahem* well, the ups to the picture are possibly the coloring and the lineart, which are great! But something about the Muzzle feels a bit...off. : <

WOO BABY >:3

I think I understand where the muzzle thing is coming from. It might be the eyes not completely lining up with the perspective created by the angle of the muzzle or something. The angle of Dietricha's head was a bit of a challenge for me.

Thank you for the critique and the compliments~  :boogie

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 07, 2009, 07:23:21 PMAnd yes, I guess the eyes are a bit on the large side.  Actually I remember now, that used to be something of a problem with your eyes a few years back.  I hadn't noticed but you seem to have overcome it, which is cool.

Haha, thanks. Actually, I looked back on some of the older pictures with the problem you mentioned. I think a blood vessel in one of my eyes just popped from the hideousness of it all.

Tapewolf

Sprocketsdance

OOo!!! Man... that's so freakin cute!  :giggle  I love the hat-in-mouth  :3

P's don't like D's because P's get effed by D's..... but D's also eff A's chuck!    :paranoid

Stygian

Watch out! That jackal's got a gulper eel! And she's not afraid to use it!

Trying my hand at getting some drawing going again with this most non-clean sketch of Keaton holding a specimen of saccopharyngiformes, what with having the most boring class ever today. Body and posture could be better? I don't quite know. Either way, I've realized I should be doing a lot more drawing for some friends... And that maybe I ought to develop a more cartoonish style, as my current one feels so stiff...

The eel is of no significance. Something else is going there, and I just doodled it.

Sunblink

O HAY GUISE I GOT A PREVIEW FOR YOU.

CLICK HERE
Not entirely safe for work due to nudity.
Time Taken:
* Everything: NO CLUE. NEXT QUESTION?
Currently Listening To: The copying machine

I can't remember if I took my ADD medication this morning. FFFFF--

Okay, but, anyway. This is a preview of the first of Paladin Sheppard's commissions. When the uncolored lineart is finished, there will be a background and his avatar/main character, Paladin included in the image. I just figured I'd draw my character Liebe first since that'd give me something to work around. Liebe will also be clothed. (For you funnymen out there, YES SHE DOES NEED IT) The picture as a whole will be inked and colored, which will allow me to clean up the sketches.

I'm... really happy with the anatomy. I quizzed a lot of people on how it looked and they gave me the go-ahead, so I guess I have reason to be satisfied. I used a tutorial on DeviantArt as guidance for how to draw a proper humanoid face, and looked at a friend's redlining work as a reference for the general anatomy. It was very much a trial and error process.

...Not sure if I want constructive criticism or not on this. Uhhhh go ahead, and I'll try to correct things as I work, but I'm eager to get this shit finished :B

Jesus christ I love drawing boobs.

Thanks to Pal for giving me permission to post this. <3

Tapewolf

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 21, 2009, 09:16:08 AM
Not entirely safe for work.

FFFFFF I'm so sorry about that. It's been fixed with a warning now.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sunblink

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 21, 2009, 09:25:22 AM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 21, 2009, 09:12:59 AM

TOTES NOT A LESBIAN

But really, they are fun. I mentioned this to Amber on one of her FA submissions. When you start to understand boob physics, like how they lift with the collarbone/arms and conform to gravity's effects, drawing them gets even more interesting.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 21, 2009, 09:29:51 AM
TOTES NOT A LESBIAN

But really, they are fun. I mentioned this to Amber on one of her FA submissions. When you start to understand boob physics, like how they lift with the collarbone/arms and conform to gravity's effects, drawing them gets even more interesting.

Nope, don't have to say a word. ;-]

Mao

Yeah.. me too.  I like a lot of things about boobs.

I... I just like boobs in general I think. <3

Sweet picture Keaton, you going to be around on msn any this evening?  I need your help with something...

Sunblink

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 21, 2009, 09:30:46 AM

I will interpret that as a proclamation of my victory. HAHA. Keaton: 1, Llearch: 0.

Quote from: Mao Laoren on October 21, 2009, 09:38:56 AM

Sweet picture Keaton, you going to be around on msn any this evening?  I need your help with something...

Yeah you would. YOU CHAUVINISTIC PIG. >:[ How dare you find mammaries appealing in the slightest.

But seriously, no problem. c: I'll be there tonight.

Mao

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 21, 2009, 09:48:29 AM
Yeah you would. YOU CHAUVINISTIC PIG. >:[ How dare you find mammaries appealing in the slightest.

It's true.  I'm a pig.  I'm also a bit of a masochist.  Could you yell at me some more please?  Kthx.

But seriously, no problem. c: I'll be there tonight.

Awesome. :3  Much love. <3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 21, 2009, 09:30:46 AM
I will interpret that as a proclamation of my victory. HAHA. Keaton: 1, Llearch: 0.

You do that. It's as right as anything else you've said in the last few minutes. ;-]

Tapewolf

Okay, managed to sneak a glance at it.  I'm not entirely sure quite how big headwings should be, and Amber has been varying the size somewhat of late, but I am of the opinion they are a little small, they don't seem to clear the ears fully.  I don't know if it's intentional or not.

Mao

I know this is lame, but for stuff like that I say to go with the rule of cool:

"If it looks damn cool, then that's how it's supposed to be.  T'hell with physics, logic and reality."

Jer-oh-me

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 21, 2009, 10:25:19 AM
Okay, managed to sneak a glance at it.  I'm not entirely sure quite how big headwings should be, and Amber has been varying the size somewhat of late, but I am of the opinion they are a little small, they don't seem to clear the ears fully.  I don't know if it's intentional or not.

Just remember, if the character is Dan's size, the headwings fit on a character Wildy's size as standard wings.

WhiteFox

I can't remember if I took my ADD medication this morning. FFFFF--

That's something that always bugged me. How do they expect you to remember to take ADD meds when you have ADD?

I'll raise a glass to that!

...Not sure if I want constructive criticism or not on this. Uhhhh go ahead, and I'll try to correct things as I work, but I'm eager to get this shit finished
Can't... resist... making comments...

The shoulders look really wide on her, but I think this is mostly due to the width of the neck. In realistic anatomy, the neck is about as wide as the head, which is about one third of the width of the shoulders. I think the shoulder on the left is too far out, too.

Her pose seems kind of stiff, too. The position of the arm holding the book and her legs don't look very relaxed.

On the other hand, gawds I love her facial expression. And her hair.

And she has cute feet.

I feel like I'm forgetting something...

Oh, right. Yay, bewbs!   :U {Drool.)
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Kipiru

Quote from: Mao Laoren on October 21, 2009, 09:38:56 AM

Good lord, man! Share the love!
Oh, and great pic Keats, I find it kind of refreshing to see an attempt at a classic proportions body- you did that terrific, though I think you are still on the way of working it in completely with the idea of anthropomorphs. Still, it looks awesome.

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 21, 2009, 10:25:19 AM
Okay, managed to sneak a glance at it.  I'm not entirely sure quite how big headwings should be, and Amber has been varying the size somewhat of late, but I am of the opinion they are a little small, they don't seem to clear the ears fully.  I don't know if it's intentional or not.

I think I have an explanation as to why the head-wings look so disproportionately small: I meant for them to be folded. XD Uhhh I hope that works.
EDIT: I fixed them! I think I'll scan it later.

Quote from: WhiteFox on October 21, 2009, 06:36:41 PM
That's something that always bugged me. How do they expect you to remember to take ADD meds when you have ADD?

Well to be fair, I normally remember without fail because it's a perpetual routine in my life. :B

QuoteThe shoulders look really wide on her, but I think this is mostly due to the width of the neck. In realistic anatomy, the neck is about as wide as the head, which is about one third of the width of the shoulders. I think the shoulder on the left is too far out, too.

Her pose seems kind of stiff, too. The position of the arm holding the book and her legs don't look very relaxed.

I think I can fix the left shoulder.... I agree with the rest of your critique, too, so thank you for the input. c: The pose does look stiff, but as far as anatomy goes I think this is probably one of my better works. I'll keep all of this in mind, especially the info you provided on the necks, which is going to be tremendously useful. I'm still trying to work out how to draw reasonably-styled faces/necks. :B Not sure about the legs, though, because they're supposed to be drawn up slightly and... uh, the feet are resting on the ground in front of the character.

QuoteOn the other hand, gawds I love her facial expression. And her hair.

And she has cute feet.

Haha, thank you XD I was worried her facial expression was going to turn out kind of bland. I like drawing hair... and I was also worried about the feet, so the fact you complimented them makes me feel a lot more relaxed.

Thanks for all the comments! This is really helpful. *thumbs up*

Quote from: Kipiru on October 22, 2009, 10:46:32 AM
Good lord, man! Share the love!
Oh, and great pic Keats, I find it kind of refreshing to see an attempt at a classic proportions body- you did that terrific, though I think you are still on the way of working it in completely with the idea of anthropomorphs. Still, it looks awesome.

Thanks, Kipiru! :3 And yeah, I'm still trying to get the hang of proper anatomy (I used to improvise without any references) while simultaneously working it into anthropomorphic characters' designs. So it's definitely not perfect, but if I'm making improvements I'm definitely overjoyed.