Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Turnsky

Quote from: Brunhidden on July 19, 2009, 05:07:22 AM
a bisexual coworker of mine told me i am somewhat attractive for a bear

i am confused on a variety of levels, largely due to disbelief

Just start worrying if Pic-a-nic baskets start appearing.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden on July 19, 2009, 05:07:22 AM
i am confused on a variety of levels, largely due to disbelief

Er... yeah. I wouldn't be sure how to take that one, either.

Quote from: Turnsky on July 19, 2009, 05:45:10 AM
Just start worrying if Pic-a-nic baskets start appearing.

*snerk*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

thegayhare

Well among gay and bi men a bear is generaly some one who is a big usualy hairy guy.  Well muscled some times but not always.

I'd need a piccy to confirm you bear status Brunn hon

*chuckles*

Darkmoon

Well, the gay man jumped in to explain, although I knew a couple of gay people so I was going to do likewise.

My gay knowledge goes to little use once again.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Nobody

Honestly, it seems like it's a compliment; a backwards way of giving one, but a compliment none the less.  Here's how I see it; the person that made that state isn't usually attracted to your 'type' of person yet finds you to be somewhat appealing, which leads to their statement.  I might be reading wrong, but that's what I'm getting out of it.

Brunhidden

Quote from: thegayhare on July 19, 2009, 09:31:08 AM
Well among gay and bi men a bear is generaly some one who is a big usualy hairy guy.  Well muscled some times but not always.

I'd need a piccy to confirm you bear status Brunn hon

*chuckles*

i know what a bear is, im just confused as to if its a compliment, backhanded compliment, an invitation, an accusation that i am gay (he knows i have two kids though), him teasing me, or something along the lines of 'wow, you are tall for a dwarf'

and if you insist i might be able to get a picture of my new uniform, havent gotten the hat yet, and i need a more up to date badge....

Zina

I tend to get a lot of "was that a compliment or an insult...?" moments lately. Usually I just smile, say thanks and compliment/insult them right back.

thegayhare

Quote from: Brunhidden on July 19, 2009, 11:13:13 PM
i know what a bear is, im just confused as to if its a compliment, backhanded compliment, an invitation, an accusation that i am gay (he knows i have two kids though), him teasing me, or something along the lines of 'wow, you are tall for a dwarf'

and if you insist i might be able to get a picture of my new uniform, havent gotten the hat yet, and i need a more up to date badge....

Well for that we'd realy need to know more of the context hon

I'm inclined to belive it's a compliment in the way of "I'm not realy into that but you look good for a bearish type"

and no you don't realy need to be gay to be a bear type since it's all in the body build but I don't think straight guys call themselves bears.

*shrugs*

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: thegayhare on July 20, 2009, 02:02:16 AM
and no you don't realy need to be gay to be a bear type since it's all in the body build but I don't think straight guys call themselves bears.

I've only -ever- heard it used to describe hairy men who are also gay. Straight guys who just happen to be hairy are just... 'hairy guys'. At least, that's all I've ever heard of it.

</2cents>
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

superluser

OK, I've tried to remain civil during this, but I just can't take it.  I'm pretty sure I've posted this before, but it remains pure, unadulterated awesome.

Mystery date for Bears.

Note that if you're good looking for a bear, you apparently are also the dud.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Sprocketsdance

:giggle You know.. I have been calling my husband a 'bear'...  :giggle

RJ

Quote from: Zina on July 19, 2009, 11:54:44 PM
I tend to get a lot of "was that a compliment or an insult...?" moments lately. Usually I just smile, say thanks and compliment/insult them right back.

Hopefully you've never gotten something along the lines of "Your mother is so pretty! ...You look nothing like her."  :U

Alondro

Quote from: RJ on July 20, 2009, 08:51:43 AM
Quote from: Zina on July 19, 2009, 11:54:44 PM

Hopefully you've never gotten something along the lines of "Your mother is so pretty! ...You look nothing like her."  :U

Heh heh, my dad calls his brother BDU:  Big, Dumb, and Ugly.  It's just in fun, though.   :giggle

Also.. I see an RJ is back!  *squeeeeezes da squirrel!*   :hug

*but doesn't realize his own strength*   :tighthug

Oops... uhm... *poke poke*  Oh sh...  It's ok, plenty of squirrels around.  i can just staple a jester hat to one's head and call it 'RJ'.. no one will notice...  :paranoid
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

JaxiD

From what I know, calling someone a bear can also be used as an insult. A gay person calls another gay person a bear to imply that he is a large burly gay man, aka, not cute or hot, as bears are seen as the opposite of traditionally attractive gay men.

Which is a pretty snide method of insulting somebody.

LionHeart

Quote from: Alondro on July 20, 2009, 10:28:35 AM
Also.. I see an RJ is back!  *squeeeeezes da squirrel!*   :hug

*but doesn't realize his own strength*   :tighthug

Oops... uhm... *poke poke*  Oh sh...  It's ok, plenty of squirrels around.  i can just staple a jester hat to one's head and call it 'RJ'.. no one will notice...  :paranoid

Now look what you've done.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Brunhidden

rabid_fox

You look like a small fat man who rents action movies more often than he should.

Oh dear.

Suwako

Tiny picture is a tiny tiny picture.  :U

Brunhidden

Quote from: rabid_fox on July 27, 2009, 07:22:50 PM

You look like a small fat man who rents action movies more often than he should.

that's my uniform for work, so ya know

superluser

Quote from: Brunhidden on July 28, 2009, 04:48:49 PMthat's my uniform for work, so ya know

[squints at the picture]

Is that a Roman Collar?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Passive

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Teroniss

I've had plenty of gay and bisexual friends, and being a hairy person myself, I've never been referred to as a bear.  :erk Werewolf, however, tends to get used alot....