My photo has made it to EngrishFunny!

Started by Gabi, November 24, 2011, 08:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabi

Click on the image to view it on EngrishFunny.

I took it in my hotel room when I was in Shanghai. One of the weirdest mistranslations I have encountered (it was the switch for the ceiling light).
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Kipiru

Was the room service button labeled "famine"?   :mowdizzy

What kind of wonderland hotel did you stay in  :)

Gabi

The one the travel agency booked (it was called Swan). Which wasn't very good at all.

And it was especially disappointing after coming from the real wonderland which was Guilin Bravo Hotel. That hotel had everything except for good tea (or any Chinese teas for that matter). If the tea had been good, I would have felt I was in Heaven.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

ShadesFox

Nice. I'm not even sure what that was supposed to be O_o
The All Purpose Fox

justacritic

Quote from: ShadesFox on November 24, 2011, 10:56:20 AM
Nice. I'm not even sure what that was supposed to be O_o
From I see it reads literally "sky flower" however my vocabulary isn't good enough for the last character

Tezkat

Heh. It reads tianhuadeng which refers to ceiling lights, from tianhuaban (天花板 = ceiling) and deng (灯 = light). But tianhua (天花) on its own is the popular word for smallpox. So it's an amusing but understandable mistake... :animesweat
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

justacritic

Quote from: Tezkat on November 24, 2011, 01:10:28 PM
Heh. It reads tianhuadeng which refers to ceiling lights, from tianhuaban (天花板 = ceiling) and deng (灯 = light). But tianhua (天花) on its own is the popular word for smallpox. So it's an amusing but understandable mistake... :animesweat

So the character 灯 is for a physical source of light and 光(gwong) is for the actual light itself right? My strongest suit is in conversation due to constant usage at home and on reading and writing I barely passed since I don't use them as much