The Furry Sociological Survey is complete

Started by FurrySurvey, October 22, 2008, 11:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FurrySurvey

Hi there,

You may recall some time ago that some time ago, back in 2006 I made a callout for participants to take part in a study of the furry community. I'm happy to write that at long last that study is complete and published online.

You can read the report here: http://www.furrysociology.net/

Just to re-cap, the Furry Sociological Survey replicates the oft-referenced study by David Rust. In addition, the report looks at the body of knowledge presented by all of the current furry studies – and the results are pretty interesting.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone who took part - and thank you for your patience.

Cheers,
Kyle

Gabi

Ah, I remember... The survey I refused to take because it mixed up skin color and cultural background. I hope some of the results are meaningful, though.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Darkmoon

In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Damaris

um, it's a shameless plug for a survey that was actually conducted here on the site.  Sooo... back we go.  :U

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

rabid_fox

Oh dear god. It's actually embarrassingly badly written. You know how school plays with cheap props and bad songs are bad, but the parents clap anyway?

This will be like that.

Oh dear.

Darkmoon

Quote from: rabid_fox on October 22, 2008, 11:29:13 PM

Oh dear god. It's actually embarrassingly badly written. You know how school plays with cheap props and bad songs are bad, but the parents clap anyway?

This will be like that.

I knew I liked you.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Valynth

Quote from: Gabi on October 22, 2008, 12:45:34 PM
Ah, I remember... The survey I refused to take because it mixed up skin color and cultural background. I hope some of the results are meaningful, though.

Here's how I differentiate:

Race:  Your physical characteristics Skin color, hair color, bone structure, genetic ancestry etc.  No choice  (Example:  Caucasian, Black, Asian, Latino)

Ethnicity:  Your cultural background.  Semi-choice based on known religion, (assumed or genetic) ancestry, and/or past, but religion, ancestry, and/or past is not needed per ethnic choice although lacking them increases the difficulty in being accepted by the main branch of the ethnicity.  Can be stacked.  Can also be the same word used to describe nationality, but does not necessarily reflect nationality as it is typically followed by the true nationality.  (Example:  Slav, Muslim, Catholic, German, French, Italian, African)

Nationality:  The nation you've admitted loyalty to, ideally supercedes and is separate from race and ethnicity, but can be blurred with either or typically through force, ethnic majority, or both.  Limit one at a time per person, the nation with the most loyalty typically wins, but difficulties stemming from ethnic/language differences can result in a refusal of citizenship by the ethnic majority.  Choice (Example:  U.S. citizen(often replaced by the misnomer "American"), Mexican, Canadian, Iranian).

I don't remember if I participated in this survey or not....  I think I did....  *shrugs*
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

rabid_fox

Quote from: Darkmoon on October 22, 2008, 11:51:26 PM
Quote from: rabid_fox on October 22, 2008, 11:29:13 PM

This will be like that.

I knew I liked you.

You're a filthy liar and you're going to hell. I'm going to piss on you from heaven on high. My cloud-urine will be your sweetest relief.

Man, I love being Catholic.

Oh dear.

gh0st

i wish i was here to participate in this...

Gabi

Valynth: latino does not fit into what you call race. Maybe you mean mestizo? Because latino (as far as I know) means Latin American/Hispanic. In that sense I am latina, and in the physical sense I'm caucasian.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Sunblink

Did I participate in this thing? I forgot. Oh bugger. :< I guess it's too late to take it.

Brunhidden

Quote from: Valynth on October 23, 2008, 12:10:34 AM
Stuff i agree with

THANK YOU!

i am sick and tired of the forms i see, many of which will have boxes for eight different KINDS of Latino, three kinds of black, and Inuit... but only one box labeled 'white' which for some odd reason also includes people from Egypt, the middle east, and most mongoloids.

for some unknown reason most of them forget the existence of India too

what is it with people trying to cater to everyone but the third of the world that contains Europeans and those of European decent?

what really gets me is it should not have ANY of those boxes, race should be unimportant, if its any deciding factor in getting a job or how much money the government pays for your education- negative OR positive- its racist. you have no boxes, or you have ALL the boxes and be fair to those who aren't black, hispanic, latino, ecetera. pander to one you have to pander to all

Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 23, 2008, 08:25:46 AM
Did I participate in this thing? I forgot. Oh bugger. :< I guess it's too late to take it.
I got an email from the guy, so I imagine all the participants did.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Alondro

Quote from: Brunhidden on October 23, 2008, 10:06:40 AM
Quote from: Valynth on October 23, 2008, 12:10:34 AM
Stuff i agree with

THANK YOU!

i am sick and tired of the forms i see, many of which will have boxes for eight different KINDS of Latino, three kinds of black, and Inuit... but only one box labeled 'white' which for some odd reason also includes people from Egypt, the middle east, and most mongoloids.

for some unknown reason most of them forget the existence of India too

what is it with people trying to cater to everyone but the third of the world that contains Europeans and those of European decent?

what really gets me is it should not have ANY of those boxes, race should be unimportant, if its any deciding factor in getting a job or how much money the government pays for your education- negative OR positive- its racist. you have no boxes, or you have ALL the boxes and be fair to those who aren't black, hispanic, latino, ecetera. pander to one you have to pander to all

I'm white and racist and evil.  I think that only my race is important and all humans are below me.  I'm so white that I have to dwell in an underground cave forever and ever because my skin has negative levels of pigment and I would burst into flame if sunlight touched me.

Wait... doesn't that mean... crap, I'm a vampire.   I suck.  Literally.   :<

Vampires:  The ultimate racists.   :3

As for the survey.  I take surveys all the time.  The furry one at least was pretty much to the point and didn't wander aimlessly.  You would not believe how many stupid questions there are on product surveys.  I mean, asking how product packaging makes me 'feel'.  If there are people out there emotionally traumatized by product packaging, they need to be institutionalized NOW! 

:yasrsly
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif