2013/10/03 [PF #283] - Sanity's End

Started by joshofspam, October 04, 2013, 12:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshofspam

And quite possibly the life of a Red shirt as well if things keep going as they seem to be going.

Is this Red shirt destined to the fate of all red shirts that dawn the mantle?   :reaper
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: joshofspam on October 04, 2013, 12:55:43 AM
And quite possibly the life of a Red shirt as well if things keep going as they seem to be going.

Is this Red shirt destined to the fate of all red shirts that dawn the mantle?   :reaper

Oh, I don't think he's going to suffer any fate, no matter what mantle he has donned. After all, Daryil would be upset if he didn't get to die first.

... and you forget, I think, that we still don't know if those manacles actually limit Daryil, or just look pretty on his avatar.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

joshofspam

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 04, 2013, 04:54:09 AM

Oh, I don't think he's going to suffer any fate, no matter what mantle he has donned. After all, Daryil would be upset if he didn't get to die first.

... and you forget, I think, that we still don't know if those manacles actually limit Daryil, or just look pretty on his avatar.

Well it is a bit of a curiosity if manacles can seal the powers of a being that body has a certain bit of their body composed of concentrated magic.

Still, I like the play on an old fan favorite there. Even the style of the clothes match old star trek. Merle and Tape probably had a good chuckle with how closely their playing that without hurting him.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Eboreg

Quote from: joshofspam on October 05, 2013, 01:08:49 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 04, 2013, 04:54:09 AM

Well it is a bit of a curiosity if manacles can seal the powers of a being that body has a certain bit of their body composed of concentrated magic.

Still, I like the play on an old fan favorite there. Even the style of the clothes match old star trek. Merle and Tape probably had a good chuckle with how closely their playing that without hurting him.

I seriously doubt that those manacles could have restrained Daryil with Amber's rules since that is just an avatar of Daryil and the real Daryil is actually some 50-foot tall guy hiding somewhere very secret, possibly on a separate plane of existence.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on October 05, 2013, 01:08:49 AM

I can't remember when I had that idea - it was fairly recently.  While colouring this page I looked up the actual uniform, the only change I remember having to make to the lines was giving him a V-neck on the shirt.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Madmann135

Knowing Daryil he is being restrained because he wants to be restrained.

A red shirt was saved because of words and someone with the implied maturity of a five year old.  That's probably a first.
I know what Daryil is doing and I can not wait for the party to get started.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Eboreg

Seems like Fenny lacks trigger discipline. As a bit of an avid gun nut (if it wasn't already obvious) this bothers me a bit. I actually went back through the archives to see if there were any other firearms safety violations. I found three others, when Jakob was disarming Joshua's pistol after Joshua had attempted to shoot him, multiple times from the guy who "assassinated" Wils, and when Dorcan was trying to epically take out Keaton when she had Simeon hostage but failed epically (he should have walked up while having the gun sighted but that's another matter).

There are some other parts where the finger was on the trigger but I didn't include due to the grey areas involved. The first was the time when Daryil messed with Joshua's dreams but isn't included for obvious reasons. Second was the Demon Assassin who broke into Jakob's base although since he did have the gun pointed in a safe direction at the time and fired soon afterwards, I was more on the fence about that. Third was when Joshua tried to arrest Jakob, but I'm a little more fuzzy on the rules when you don't care whether or not the target is destroyed. The fourth and fifth ones, where Ashford confronted Keaton about the ion beam technology theft and where Niall aimed a revolver at Keaton taking Simeon hostage, are not included for the same reason.
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Merlin

Quote from: Eboreg on October 07, 2013, 02:30:03 PM
Seems like Fenny lacks trigger discipline. As a bit of an avid gun nut (if it wasn't already obvious) this bothers me a bit. I actually went back through the archives to see if there were any other firearms safety violations.

It's probably obvious that I know very little about guns, but Fenfen is a loon who might not care about gun safety while he's threatening to kill Tanholt. And I should probably stop calling him Fenfen. That being said, yeah I know not much about guns and all I do is look for references to draw from, but I can't look for stuff I don't know about at all, without doing way more research than I have time for, unfortunately... If you any information about that sort of thing you can send through to me for future reference (even just links to places that explain what you mean) that'd be super. Then I can improve on that for the next time I draw that sort of thing!

Thanks for pointing it out, it's definitely a good thing to keep in mind.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Merlin on October 07, 2013, 11:10:18 PM
Quote from: Eboreg on October 07, 2013, 02:30:03 PM
Seems like Fenny lacks trigger discipline. As a bit of an avid gun nut (if it wasn't already obvious) this bothers me a bit. I actually went back through the archives to see if there were any other firearms safety violations.

It's probably obvious that I know very little about guns, but Fenfen is a loon who might not care about gun safety while he's threatening to kill Tanholt. And I should probably stop calling him Fenfen. That being said, yeah I know not much about guns and all I do is look for references to draw from, but I can't look for stuff I don't know about at all, without doing way more research than I have time for, unfortunately... If you any information about that sort of thing you can send through to me for future reference (even just links to places that explain what you mean) that'd be super. Then I can improve on that for the next time I draw that sort of thing!

Thanks for pointing it out, it's definitely a good thing to keep in mind.

"gun safety" can be summed up in three basic rules; the rest is elaboration on these.

1. The gun is ALWAYS loaded. Even if you just took the magazine out and cleared it (ie, cycled the action to remove the round from the chamber, checked the safety is on, and made the gun safe to put down), treat it as loaded at all times.

2. Never point the gun at anything or anyone you do not want dead. In related ideas, if you point the thing at someone, be prepared to make them dead with it.

3. Only put your finger inside the trigger guard when you are ready to fire.

Others who actually have gun safety training, or who _teach_ gun safety, can correct me here. Oh, and this link, while not definitive, goes into more detail. Also, it's where I got my summary. ;-]

Tapewolf

I'm not averse to the idea of fixing problems that don't require a total redraw, keeping in mind that Ren currently won't draw anything that isn't a pony.  That said, this is exactly the reason Amber originally banned guns from Furrae ;-)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Eboreg

When Jyrras first showed up with a handgun, I noticed that he didn't have trigger discipline but didn't really care since there was no way he could learn it.

Merlin

Thanks for the links and info, llearch!

Quote from: Eboreg on October 08, 2013, 08:27:40 AM
When Jyrras first showed up with a handgun, I noticed that he didn't have trigger discipline but didn't really care since there was no way he could learn it.

He was actually shooting at someone at the time though, right? Or was there another time he had the gun?

Eboreg

Quote from: Merlin on October 08, 2013, 09:30:34 AM
Thanks for the links and info, llearch!

Quote from: Eboreg on October 08, 2013, 08:27:40 AM

He was actually shooting at someone at the time though, right? Or was there another time he had the gun?

Yes, he actually did shoot someone but right after that, he started to use the gun as an intimidation tool. I doubt he really wanted to live with the consequences of killing an adventurer, so trigger discipline in this case is a very real concern. In the other gun threatening scenarios I've mentioned as grey areas, the necessity of quick acting outweighed the danger of an accidental discharge (In all three cases, the person being threatened was a 'Cubi and in one of them, the 'Cubi actually showed the ability to kill the threatener before he or she pulled the trigger). There's also the fact that Jyrras took a shot intended to be non-lethal which is not a good idea. Again, not a problem since there were almost definitely no gun safety laws to follow since their were no guns beforehand to formulate safety laws about.

Merlin

Quote from: Eboreg on October 08, 2013, 07:44:23 PMYes, he actually did shoot someone but right after that, he started to use the gun as an intimidation tool. I doubt he really wanted to live with the consequences of killing an adventurer, so trigger discipline in this case is a very real concern. In the other gun threatening scenarios I've mentioned as grey areas, the necessity of quick acting outweighed the danger of an accidental discharge (In all three cases, the person being threatened was a 'Cubi and in one of them, the 'Cubi actually showed the ability to kill the threatener before he or she pulled the trigger). There's also the fact that Jyrras took a shot intended to be non-lethal which is not a good idea. Again, not a problem since there were almost definitely no gun safety laws to follow since their were no guns beforehand to formulate safety laws about.

Ooh, I get what you mean, thanks!

ChaosMageX

I'm assuming this is why most guns have trigger guards, so that you can rest your trigger finger on the guard instead of the actual trigger when handling a gun to brandish it for intimidating someone or to pistol-whip someone.

Icon by Sunblink

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: ChaosMageX on October 09, 2013, 02:41:34 PM
I'm assuming this is why most guns have trigger guards, so that you can rest your trigger finger on the guard instead of the actual trigger when handling a gun to brandish it for intimidating someone or to pistol-whip someone.

It's not for when intimidating or pistol-whipping, since those are not considered to be useful uses of a gun. As the page I linked says (sorry, TW - this is the end of my input here, mmkay?) a gun is not something you can reliably give a non-fatal wound with. Neither is it a weapon you can reliably give a _fatal_ wound with, either - police are trained to shoot and keep shooting until the suspect goes down and stays down, and even then approach with caution. Which is why you end up with people with 17 bullet holes in them - they didn't follow instructions, and they didn't stay down once shot. I sympathise with the police, here - they get criticised for shooting too much, but if the perp got up and shot a bystander while shooting at the cops, they'd get criticised for shooting too little.

Suffice it to say - the trigger guard is so you don't accidentally fire the weapon while handling or cleaning it. It's not so you don't accidentally fire the weapon while mishandling it (pistol-whipping someone has a chance to bend the barrel, thereby making it unsafe to fire; not really an approved use; brandishing is a problem because what do you do if they don't get intimidated? Shoot them? Then either they're dead, or they're not and you're still arrested for trying to kill them... and you just bought the worst of both worlds)

That make sense, Chaos?

ChaosMageX

Yeah, that makes sense.  Brandishing and pistol-whipping are both improper and rather stupid uses of a gun.

As for cleaning, I thought you had to completely disassemble a gun in order to properly clean it, unless you're talking about just polishing its exterior to make it shiny and easy to handle.

Icon by Sunblink

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: ChaosMageX on October 11, 2013, 12:51:49 PM
As for cleaning, I thought you had to completely disassemble a gun in order to properly clean it, unless you're talking about just polishing its exterior to make it shiny and easy to handle.

Well, in order to disassemble it, you need to put your fingers all over it... at which point a minor piece there to stop you from perforating your own foot by accident seems like a smart idea. Or at least a non-stupid one... ;-]