2013/05/10 [DMFA #1400] Is it a bear? Is it a bird? Is it a plane? NACT'LARN!

Started by VAE, May 09, 2013, 11:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAE

So, clearly, Piflak isn't the only clan leader with a dedressu hobby.
I wonder what clans those are. Mink is Jin, I'm guessing the one left is Taun ambassador, and the one to the right with handeyes is Di'manika.
That said, is growing eyes on one's hand the cubi hipster equivalent of ironic moustache on finger?
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

AzureEdge

Hmmm. Think you may be right on who the other two are. The one on the left seems to be enough of a battle lover to be from Taun and the one on the right is clearly random enough with the hand eyes and mouth thing that they could only be from Di'manika. I mean, what other clan leaders would put up with that kind of behavior from one of their members.

Ganurath

I for one am waiting for a Cubi representative who chides Dan for not being fully dressed.

Also, ear thumbs.
NGGYU NGLYD NGRAADY NGMYC NGSG NGTALAHY

Endymion

I do believe that the face made from hands is a nod to the Helpful Hands from Labyrinth.

Lurkie

Quote from: VAE on May 09, 2013, 11:11:35 PM
So, clearly, Piflak isn't the only clan leader with a dedressu hobby.
I wonder what clans those are. Mink is Jin, I'm guessing the one left is Taun ambassador, and the one to the right with handeyes is Di'manika.
That said, is growing eyes on one's hand the cubi hipster equivalent of ironic moustache on finger?

Yeah, you're probably right about which clans those three represent.  Mink we know, and the armored fellow seems fairly obvious -- Jin and Taun, respectively.  The third one I guessed as Dimanika as well.  Though for some reason I also was thinking of Zezzuva -- don't know why.

I find it amusing to think that there must be a course in Dedressu-Fu at SAIA, and that most of the Clan Leader Avatars are graduates.  Must be very -- ah -- interesting classes.  To say nothing of entertaining.  :)
|  Space   ||   Space  ||  It's Hard  ||  A Place  ||  Burma  |
|  is Big  ||  is Dark ||   to Find   ||  to Park  ||  Shave  |

killpurakat

Quote from: Endymion on May 09, 2013, 11:56:52 PM
I do believe that the face made from hands is a nod to the Helpful Hands from Labyrinth.

This was my first thought exactly.

Which makes me wonder if we'll see a nod to Jareth from the same movie.  :U

mithril

interesting thing i've noticed.. that isn't someone holding hands in front of their face.. that is their face.. the eye's are definitely real eyes, and there are ears instead of thumbs..
the 'head' behind it looks to be a Hood, presumably with nothing inside it.
it also looks like a female, going by bustline.
also, she has a snake tail instead of legs, and looks to have pairs of midget wings instead of the normal back-wings and headwings

if it isn't just some really fancy shapeshifting, i'd say that Cubi has a very complex ancestry, probably with several different mytho's in the family tree..

Infranscia

That red Creature (Cubi?) reminds me of the Helping Hands from the movie The Labyrinth. :mowsmile

EDIT: Maybe I should get more into a habit of reading what's already been read, even if I'm just making a quick comment. XD;  But yeah, nice to see that there are others that think so.
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Aisha deCabre

I have to comment that I love Mink's fancy outfit.

And also that the gal on the far right probably reminds everyone that 'Cubi can probably do a great amount of fancy trickery with shapeshifting.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Anri

I wonder how good this new cubi/creature's hand-eye coordination is.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: killpurakat on May 10, 2013, 12:46:22 AM
Quote from: Infranscia on May 10, 2013, 01:56:57 AM
That red Creature (Cubi?) reminds me of the Helping Hands from the movie The Labyrinth. :mowsmile

I, on the other hand, am thinking of The Pale Man from Pan's Labyrinth.

Auuguguhauughghgh!  :boggle :bigsword

(But seriously, this thing is actually kinda neat...and its ears are its thumbs! Creative!)

Merlin

Nino

Oh my gosh that thing is awesome. She's totes trollfacing us in the first panel though >=[

Also, I just want to add, Ahh! Real Monsters was a great show, and did it first before Monsters Inc., including the whole dependance on children thing, with the variation where if the kids stop believing in Monsters they won't exist (rather than a powersource issue). Even though Monsters Inc. was also great. Just saying.

Also just saying, Mink reminds me of a Royal Neopet :p

ChaosMageX

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 10, 2013, 02:54:07 AM

I, on the other hand, am thinking of The Pale Man from Pan's Labyrinth.

Auuguguhauughghgh!  :boggle :bigsword

(But seriously, this thing is actually kinda neat...and its ears are its thumbs! Creative!)

Actually, the first thing that came to my mind when I first saw that Mythos was some of the weirder galleries on Fur Affinity, primarily Xolroc, JasenTamiia, and Rancid, just to name a few...
...and then I thought of The Pale Man from Pan's Labyrinth...
...and then I thought of the Helping Hands from The Laybrinth...
...and then finally it was Amber's title that made me think of that relic show from my childhood, particularly the character Crumb, IIRC.

But seriously, I agree that has got to be either a really adept shapeshifter or one of the freakiest Mythos that Amber has come up with yet, and personally I'm hoping it's the latter, but either way I freaking love it. 

My question is that if it really is headless under that cloak and a Cubi, then where exactly are its head-wings attached?  My guess would be at the top of its spine, right where the base of the neck would be.

I am also quite excited to see Jeremiah Taun making an appearance, even though that super freaky Mythos/Cubi? seems to be stealing his thunder at the moment.  I just hope that Merlin and I (and his creator) aren't the only ones who know who he is. ;)

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: Merlin on May 10, 2013, 02:56:46 AM
Eeeeee! It's little Jerry! :3

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/9525654/

He wears the cape thing well.  I always tried to get someone to draw one of my chartacters with those, but somehow it always disappeared in the final version :-/

EDIT:  Maybe he should have worn the plate leggings too to make Piflak's life harder...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

"Well, since I'm pointed that way, I guess I'll go down."
"She chose down."
"She chose down?"
"Was that wrong?"
"Too late now! Hahahahaha!"

EDIT: Maybe I should get more into a habit of reading what's already been read, even if I'm just making a quick comment. XD;  But yeah, nice to see that there are others that think so.

Yes, you really should. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

icarus

i am loving the handface mythos-cubi design.
to absolute pieces.

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

MT Hazard

Looks like Dan has met another one of the respected clan leaders  lecherous old woman.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Brunhidden

Which makes me wonder if we'll see a nod to Jareth from the same movie.  :U

wow was i beatten several times to that punchline, however if we see a jareth reffrence will it be the crotch bulge that just keeps drawing your eyes towards it, the contact juggling, or the schweet hair?

yeah, the day i go bald enough to wear a wig i am getting THAT wig

new point to make- how hard is it to get mink to get fully dressed? is it that special of an occasion or whats the beef?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Jasae Bushae

So thats what happens when a hand puppet and a cubi have a baby~ :3
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Tapewolf

It's been too long since I last saw Labyrinth - I'll have to see if I still have the tape.

Fun anecdote: When I visited the Museum of Mechanical Music (somewhere down Fosse Way in Gloucestershire) sometime in the early 1990s, amongst the player pianos and similar artifacts there was a what was basically a large music-box, which took metal discs about 14" in diameter.  Several such discs were hanging on the wall, and one was titled "David Bowie - Labyrinth Theme".  I didn't have the courage to ask about it, but I remember my father adamantly denying that it could possibly be what it seemed to be.

mithril

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 10, 2013, 01:36:14 PM
Fun anecdote: When I visited the Museum of Mechanical Music (somewhere down Fosse Way in Gloucestershire) sometime in the early 1990s, amongst the player pianos and similar artifacts there was a what was basically a large music-box, which took metal discs about 14" in diameter.  Several such discs were hanging on the wall, and one was titled "David Bowie - Labyrinth Theme".  I didn't have the courage to ask about it, but I remember my father adamantly denying that it could possibly be what it seemed to be.
Hoggle wound up in the Unclaimed Baggage Center's Museum somehow.

Naldru

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 10, 2013, 01:36:14 PM
Fun anecdote: When I visited the Museum of Mechanical Music (somewhere down Fosse Way in Gloucestershire) sometime in the early 1990s, amongst the player pianos and similar artifacts there was a what was basically a large music-box, which took metal discs about 14" in diameter.  Several such discs were hanging on the wall, and one was titled "David Bowie - Labyrinth Theme".  I didn't have the courage to ask about it, but I remember my father adamantly denying that it could possibly be what it seemed to be.

There was a series of Symphonium disks at 13.25 inches diameter.

There is a company selling new music boxes that have songs from the Phantom of the Opera musical.  Another will cut new discs from music. So seeing a disc with music from Labyrinth (which was way before Phantom of the Opera) seems quite reasonable.

Was this the museum.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on May 10, 2013, 05:43:01 PM
There was a series of Symphonium disks at 13.25 inches diameter.

Doing some research, it was probably a Polyphon disk.  It was quite large.

There is a company selling new music boxes that have songs from the Phantom of the Opera musical.  Another will cut new discs from music. So seeing a disc with music from Labyrinth (which was way before Phantom of the Opera) seems quite reasonable.

Was this the museum.

Yes.

joshofspam

I have to admit that I did think of the helpful hands when like others when I saw that Mythos.

Though now I'm thinking of Quoar dressed up like the goblin king from the same movie.

Funny page all things considered. :)
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Saist

... ya know... I had an interesting thought when I looked up Nact'Larn's Cubi Leader Profile Page...

Anybody else think she looks a LOT like a certain Crane's female ego? (and if I have to explain Youster, I'm not too entirely sure I want to)

Ragesquid

Quote from: ChaosMageX on May 10, 2013, 03:47:05 AMMy question is that if it really is headless under that cloak and a Cubi, then where exactly are its head-wings attached?  My guess would be at the top of its spine, right where the base of the neck would be.
I thought about that, too. If the hands/eyes/ears are her "head", they could be located on the wrists. She could also simply be faceless, rather than headless.

Either way, I like it.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Fox on May 11, 2013, 03:15:56 AM
Quote from: ChaosMageX on May 10, 2013, 03:47:05 AMMy question is that if it really is headless under that cloak and a Cubi, then where exactly are its head-wings attached?  My guess would be at the top of its spine, right where the base of the neck would be.
I thought about that, too. If the hands/eyes/ears are her "head", they could be located on the wrists. She could also simply be faceless, rather than headless.

Either way, I like it.

Well, apparently you're right about where her head-wings are located.  This means that she likely is headless, since if she was merely faceless, she'd have a cranium and her head-wings would probably be attached to that rather than her wrists.

Still, either way, she is one freaky but awesome looking creature.

Icon by Sunblink

joshofspam

Quote from: ChaosMageX on May 11, 2013, 03:52:01 AM

Either way, I like it.

Well, apparently you're right about where her head-wings are located.  This means that she likely is headless, since if she was merely faceless, she'd have a cranium and her head-wings would probably be attached to that rather than her wrists.

If she had a head, I'd imagine it would be close to the Slenderman in appearance.

He had no distinguishing features on his head. Though that presents another interesting question. If she has a blank head or a non existent head, how does she breath? :erk

Edit: Though I do wonder if shapeshifting might be a huge bit of this interesting look. Members of the clan of fear would probably have huge interest in developing their shapeshifting towards such things.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Saist

Quote from: joshofspam on May 11, 2013, 02:18:00 PM
Quote from: ChaosMageX on May 11, 2013, 03:52:01 AM

Either way, I like it.

Well, apparently you're right about where her head-wings are located.  This means that she likely is headless, since if she was merely faceless, she'd have a cranium and her head-wings would probably be attached to that rather than her wrists.

If she had a head, I'd imagine it would be close to the Slenderman in appearance.

He had no distinguishing features on his head. Though that presents another interesting question. If she has a blank head or a non existent head, how does she breath? :erk

Edit: Though I do wonder if shapeshifting might be a huge bit of this interesting look. Members of the clan of fear would probably have huge interest in developing their shapeshifting towards such things.

I'm fairly sure that if you check here there is a related bit to your question: http://missmab.com/Cast/matilda.php

Quirks/Fun Facts: Matilda doesn't actually need to breathe.

As far as I'm aware Mab has not clarified whether or not this is a Species Trait inherent to Mythos; or just a unique aspect of Matilda. Given the different Mythos observed so far it might be reasonable to assume that Mythos generally do not need Atmospheric-Circulation given their heavy connections to magic. If that is the case then a part Mythos/Cubi would likely not need to rely Atmospheric-Circulation either.