17/12/12 [DMFA #1362] - Dramatic explanations!

Started by MT Hazard, December 17, 2012, 05:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

I think Amber has explained the drawing process before, but not with this level of style.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Paladin Sheppard

Mischa

I started wondering what court cases would be like if everyone did dramatic poses like that, but then realized we've already got Phoenix Wright to show that. :P

That said, I think Amber's pose in the fourth panel really shows off how far her artistic skills have come!  Go Amber!

Drayco84

QuoteSadly Amber died doing the Escher girl pose to explain the lasso tool.

Escher girl pose?

*Googles.*

Oh. THAT. Yeah, my spine and pelvis usually start hurting whenever I look at those. I might be able to get into one of those, but it'll take at least two chiropractors and a surgeon to get me out of it.

Nocturne of Night

Panel 4. DAT POSE. Profile pic?

If politicians dramatically posed during debates, I'm not sure I'd ever be able to watch them with a straight face. Not that that's a bad thing :P

Prroul

Quote from: Nocturne of Night on December 17, 2012, 12:11:38 PM
Panel 4. DAT POSE. Profile pic?

If politicians dramatically posed during debates, I'm not sure I'd ever be able to watch them with a straight face. Not that that's a bad thing :P

Phoenix Wright. OBJECTION! It begs to be done.

Jasae Bushae

Quote from: Drayco84 on December 17, 2012, 12:05:55 PM

Escher girl pose?

*Googles.*

Oh. THAT. Yeah, my spine and pelvis usually start hurting whenever I look at those. I might be able to get into one of those, but it'll take at least two chiropractors and a surgeon to get me out of it.
Actually some of those ridiculous poses do wonders for your flexibility though I REALLY would not recommend it unless you are an advanced student of yoga
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Eli_In_Chains

Quote from: Drayco84 on December 17, 2012, 12:05:55 PM

Escher girl pose?

*Googles.*

As a guy, and a rail-thin one at that, I don't have any "assets" so to speak to display in front, but if I were to try REAAAAALL hard I can twist to ninety degrees between my shoulders and my hips, so... it's certainly possible, but there is NO reason I can think of (outside of being at a photo shoot) to ever get into a pose like that. There are all manner of ways to defend yourself effectively, and twisting so far you risk tearing a muscle is not a feature in any one of them. Yet we see people in comics like this anyway... le siiiiigh

In other words, I am using my perfectly natural and not uncomfortable OBJECTION!! pose to bitch and moan about an off-topic thing! Yaaay!

Chakat Blackspots

Why not just use a nice Wacom drawing tablet with Photoshop?  That scanner's gonna die one of these days, given that its apparently rather old.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Daniel Boomhauer on December 17, 2012, 06:45:20 PM
Why not just use a nice Wacom drawing tablet with Photoshop?  That scanner's gonna die one of these days, given that its apparently rather old.

Perhaps, but scanners are ten a penny nowadays.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

joshofspam

Amber certainly went all out in that fourth panel of herself.

I also enjoy that old nostalgia  homage to the old Jaws movie poster in the first panel. Just so full of awesome, I find I look forward to the comics QnA pages just as much as the story pages. :eager
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

LionHeart

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 17, 2012, 07:42:58 PM

Very true. You can't buy a printer these days that doesn't have a scanner built into it.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Nyomi

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 17, 2012, 07:42:58 PM

That, and even with a tablet, not everyone feels comfortable with or likes the results of sketching and/or inking in Photoshop.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Nyomi on December 17, 2012, 11:40:48 PM
That, and even with a tablet, not everyone feels comfortable with or likes the results of sketching and/or inking in Photoshop.

Also Amber has historically had a lot of problems with Photoshop going RAWR and destroying the comic.  Losing the colouring is one thing, losing the lines is something else again.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Merlin

Adding to what everybody else said, it can be hard to get non-choppy lines sometimes.

Also, daaaaaaamn Amber has some freakin' smooth penlines. Personally, I can't ink traditionally very well at all, so it's always amazing to see it done well, especially with such good line tapering.

Turnsky

problem is that tablets =! drawing traditionally in look and feel. It's difficult to explain, but you draw in a completely different manner on a tablet, primarily due to the detachment between drawing surface and visual result.

Unless it's a Cintiq.. which are hideously expensive.

Not only that, but the drawing surface is something else entirely. often fairly smooth, it tends to fatigue one's wrist a lot quicker.

scanners are pretty cheap nowadays anyway.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Mischa

Quote from: joshofspam on December 17, 2012, 08:12:34 PM
Amber certainly went all out in that fourth panel of herself.

I also enjoy that old nostalgia  homage to the old Jaws movie poster in the first panel. Just so full of awesome, I find I look forward to the comics QnA pages just as much as the story pages. :eager

I was amused to notice that even in the fourth panel Amber still has her three-fingered Fraggle hands :3

justacritic

Janus Whitefurr

My sister and I were called awesome for being surprisingly dynamic while at a (hot) chocolate shop. Twas a bit noisy so in order to point out what we wanted, flamboyant hand gestures at the menu on the wall were used.

The server was highly amused and suggested we become announcers or something that allows us to dramatically point at things.

Long story short: Dynamic poses DO make life interesting.

*flees*
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 18, 2012, 03:09:35 AM
Quote from: Nyomi on December 17, 2012, 11:40:48 PM

Also Amber has historically had a lot of problems with Photoshop going RAWR and destroying the comic.  Losing the colouring is one thing, losing the lines is something else again.

She should try something different, like Sai or Gimp (like test it out, see how she likes it, but keep CS3 installed)

Amber Williams

The main problem with trying something different like a tablet or a new program is time.   I just honestly don't have the free-time to dedicate to trying out these new programs to the extent that would make using them more convenient.  There is usually a bit of relearning involved, triple frustratingly so when I'm trying to relearn a process that I could do in a program I already have much faster.  While there is the understanding that with practice, the time taken will decrease...I don't have the spare time to dedicate to it.

This would go double so if I was to try to learn to draw using a tablet over pencil/paper because as some folks mentioned, I would likely have to relearn how to draw to an extent.   And I don't really want to stop the comic just so I can test out other art programs.