Attention Canada!

Started by Amber Williams, August 29, 2006, 02:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roureem Egas

Quote from: Eibbor_N on August 29, 2006, 08:04:04 PM
*Sticks tongue out at Americans*
Amber belongs to US now. :raspberry

Quote from: Rowne on August 29, 2006, 04:03:33 PM
Soon, the letter "u" shall become rampant, izes will become ises, trucks will become lorries, faeries will be fairies, elevators will become lifts and the readerbase shall know both fear and confusion as the first floor of ... buildings ... will be ... will be ... the Ground Floor.
Mm? In the US, "fairies" is really spelt "faerie?" I just assumed it was some new-age word or something.

Rowne's British. Over here in America, we do spell it as "fairies."

With that aside, I'm glad you made it, Amber.[/parrot]

Gabi

I thought faeries was the original spelling and fairies was a deformation.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Zina

Quote from: ×HaZ×MaT× on August 29, 2006, 08:07:10 PM
Ambers?  You mean there's more than one?! :erk

MILLIONS.
Be afraid.

Alondro

*Charles nods at Zina*  Why do you think I rode in her car to AC?  I got DNA samples and now we have heaps of Amber clones!   ;)  *hmms at the filler pic*  Why, it looks like she's about to make 'sweet love' to the syrup!   xD

*Alondro enters, singing in 'Chef' voice*  Gonna make love to the syr-up!  Gonna lay it down by the fi-yah!  Gonna make love to the syr-up... stackin pancakes higher and high-yah!  When I see you all sticky and golden brown it just makes me want to... *a paw smacks him!*

*Charline looks shocked!*  Alondro!  What are you doing?!

*Alondro awws and points at Charles accusingly*  Dang it!  He tricked me!
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Damaris

Actually, there are at least two on this posting board (that I personally know of)

Before she left, I had been teasing Amber about the fact that she would probably get the only Canadian border guard who was a fan of the comic, and who would know her devious plan ;)

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Cvstos

Quote from: Eibbor_N on August 29, 2006, 08:04:04 PM
*Sticks tongue out at Americans*
Amber belongs to US now. :raspberry

Quote from: Rowne on August 29, 2006, 04:03:33 PM
Soon, the letter "u" shall become rampant, izes will become ises, trucks will become lorries, faeries will be fairies, elevators will become lifts and the readerbase shall know both fear and confusion as the first floor of ... buildings ... will be ... will be ... the Ground Floor.
Mm? In the US, "fairies" is really spelt "faerie?" I just assumed it was some new-age word or something.

Oh no, you've got it all wrong.  Now YOU belong to HER!   :mwaha
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Ted Schiller

Is the Gulo gulo vancouverensis on Mab's hug list?

With regards,
Ted

James StarRunner

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on August 29, 2006, 05:12:31 PM
I swear StarRunner... if you don't stop with the making fun of Eastern Canada, you're going to get it.
Atleast here we don't press the quote button instead of the edit...  :tongue
Bwahaha! I was wondering if you'd catch me saying that. Though I haven't been making fun of Eastern Canada, I've heard it used more often out east than west, even from my own family out there. I know that the accent and such changes even within eastern Canada though. I've heard a difference between Ontario and the maritime provinces. Still heard it occasionally in New Brunswick though.

As for the edit button... I blame drugs, lack of sleep, overwork, and Spiderman.

:spidey "...What?"

Quote from: Zedd on August 29, 2006, 05:16:39 AM
Canadian smileys....Hmmm only one I see is mainly James loveable blue head
Oh, I must have missed this...

Bamf!

Supercheese

Quote from: James StarRunner on August 30, 2006, 01:19:33 AM
Quote from: Zedd on August 29, 2006, 05:16:39 AM
Canadian smileys....Hmmm only one I see is mainly James loveable blue head
Oh, I must have missed this...

Bamf!

Hee hee... I think those are soooo cool!

James: "That's 'cause you just took the base I made and created 'em all."

Eh heh... there's still some transparency issue with the whites of the eyes, but nobody'll notice if I don't tell them. Err, wait hold on.... dangit.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Gabi on August 29, 2006, 08:14:54 PM

It's the other way around, as deformed by those who think Wicca is a neat way to make friends and influence people, and that goth is a fad.

Plastics.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gabi

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 30, 2006, 04:08:04 AM

It's the other way around, as deformed by those who think Wicca is a neat way to make friends and influence people, and that goth is a fad.

Plastics.

*Checks etymology.* Nope. It seems I was right.

"fairy
    c.1300, "enchantment, magic," from O.Fr. faerie [...]"

Vidar

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 30, 2006, 04:08:04 AM

You mean like people who go around calling themselves "vampyre"?
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Kasarn

llearch n'n'daCorna

Vidar:

Yup. Them's the ones. Cheap plastic knock-offs of the real thing.

Gabi: AH. Yes, in that sense, faerie was first. I meant in the "oh, it's now popular to call it faery rather than fairy, because that's much wierder and cooler and neat and stuff, doesn't my hair look pretty, y'know" sort of way.

And, seriously speaking, "faerie" is the original. "Faery" is a god-awful mix of the two. "proper" english is fairy - being aware that english is a living language and hence mutable and changing and stuff, I'm aware that faery may well -become- correct, but that doesn't make it any better.

... and you damn kids can get off my lawn! :-)

Rowne

That was a good example there, Vidar and it wasn't one that made me twitch.  Not in the least, even remotely.  Honest.

Hematophages should be called wampyr or vampires, not vampyres, what on Earth is a vampyre anyway?  Good grief!  ...wait, am I thinking out loud again?  Dammit.

Also: Gabi, doesn't that say that the word 'fairy' evolved from the word fay/fae (not faerie or fairy)?  In which case, fairy was the first instance of that particular word, which later mutated into faerie to keep track with the origin 'fae' rather than the first derivation 'fairy'?

Of course, that's just what I got from that page rather than actual knowledge, it's just how I read it.  I'm likely wrong.

... and faery is horrible, yes.

----

Also, to add, I'm fond of the term 'fayfolk', too.  Which is why there tends to be much gnashing of teeth whenever I see 'feyfolk' instead.

Everquest, I'm talking about you!  *Waves fist.*

llearch n'n'daCorna

Is it just me who is tempted to post "feyfolk" all over the place to wind Rowne up? :-)

Gabi

I wouldn't use the word "faery", it doesn't look right. But "faerie", I do use sometimes.

Kasarn

So Gabi, how do you say fairy in spanish?

Then we can all start saying that instead :P

llearch n'n'daCorna

"Differently inclined" ? "Alternative Lifestyle"? "Fond of Pink" ? "Male Hairdresser" ?

Oh, you mean fairy as in fae. Sorry, don't mind me. *evil giggle*

Gabi

Quote from: Kasarn on August 30, 2006, 08:53:33 AM
So Gabi, how do you say fairy in spanish?

Then we can all start saying that instead :P
Hada.

thegayhare

I've got one myself.   She's a real pain in the butt always trying to get into my bed.

Rowne

Llearch, I will steal your umbrella and let the skies rain upon you!  Then you'll be a sad, sad cardboard box.

Well, actually, you probably won't but I have to make some threat that's comical, harmless and non-commital after being taunted, now don't I?

Also: Hada is a nifty word.  I like Hada.

I Hada Fairy Fay Breakfaest!

... I want to kill my own brain, now.

Vidar

Quote from: thegayhare on August 30, 2006, 09:08:21 AM

I've got one myself.   She's a real pain in the butt always trying to get into my bed.

Well, you shouldn't have her sleep on the floor in the basement. Ambers are known to seek out nearby warm places when cold, regardless of whom they might inconvenience.

thegayhare

Quote from: Vidar on August 30, 2006, 09:20:49 AM
Well, you shouldn't have her sleep on the floor in the basement. Ambers are known to seek out nearby warm places when cold, regardless of whom they might inconvenience.

but there are plenty of other places she could sleep,  including 2 bed rooms with beds that are realy comfy.  and she's mean always smaking me and kicking me...

*sniff sniff*

Amber hates me

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Rowne on August 30, 2006, 09:18:47 AM
Llearch, I will steal your umbrella and let the skies rain upon you!  Then you'll be a sad, sad cardboard box.

Well, actually, you probably won't but I have to make some threat that's comical, harmless and non-commital after being taunted, now don't I?

Do you? >.> <.<

It's ok, I have a box full of spare umbrellas. Take as many as you like... :-)

Quote from: Rowne on August 30, 2006, 09:18:47 AM
Also: Hada is a nifty word.  I like Hada.

I Hada Fairy Fay Breakfaest!

... I want to kill my own brain, now.

Right-oh. Just open your ear, and I'll pour some gin and vermouth in, and add a twist...

... shaken, not stirred. :)

Rowne

You do?  Nowait.  You can't trick me!  I'm not looking in there.

And that pretty much doesn't work, I've tried.  And that just sadly adds to the fact that whatever doesn't kill me can only serve to make me stranger.

llearch n'n'daCorna

.. And that which does kill you makes you dead. :-)

Rowne

Well, until a naughty necromancer gets his grubby paws on your bits.  Then it's something else entirely.

Vidar

Quote from: thegayhare on August 30, 2006, 09:28:36 AM
Quote from: Vidar on August 30, 2006, 09:20:49 AM

Amber hates me

Well, that's what you get for making her sleep on a cold, hard concrete floor in an unheated basement. No amount of pink ribbons is going to make that right again.  :U

Xss