05/11/12 [DMFA #1351] - At last, she knows

Started by Tapewolf, November 05, 2012, 06:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Now this could get extremely interesting.  I'm not completely sure what Nitemyst is getting at, though... is he implying that Abel is attempting to use Jyrras as a shield for his crimes?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

VAE

Just what the title says, the magazine cover was hillarious.
That said, I wonder whether the Soulstealer heir mention refers to Regina or Lorenda. .. both have interacted with people from the Lost Lake a good amount of times.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Tapewolf

Quote from: VAE on November 05, 2012, 07:02:17 AM

Not any more...

For reference, the original thread title was: "Universes change, but crappy magazines are eternal.", however you forgot the dash, and the guidelines for the thread merging are to go with the most correct :P

Wurgel

QuoteThat said, I wonder whether the Soulstealer heir mention refers to Regina or Lorenda. .. both have interacted with people from the Lost Lake a good amount of times.
That would be Lorenda. She is living together with Jy after all.

And this means even more reasons for Kria to visit them and opportuneties for Jy to be called daddy.  >:3

MT Hazard

Lets hope a certain dragon doesn't read that magazine.

I think Jyyras has the means to sue the magazines owners into the ground, but lacks the desire, maybe he'll just live in his tent for a bit longer...
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on November 05, 2012, 07:35:09 AM
I think Jyyras has the means to sue the magazines owners into the ground, but lacks the desire, maybe he'll just live in his tent for a bit longer...

I'm more curious about how Abel is going to react when he sees it.

Eboreg

Oh brother, now Abel is going to have reporters mobbing him.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

VAE

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 05, 2012, 07:30:53 AM
Quote from: VAE on November 05, 2012, 07:02:17 AM

Not any more...

For reference, the original thread title was: "Universes change, but crappy magazines are eternal.", however you forgot the dash, and the guidelines for the thread merging are to go with the most correct :P

There's also the trifling matter with you having posted yours a few minutes before, of course. :3
*appreciates when beat fair and square*
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Zaejue

The problem with tabloid magazines is that most people forget that most (if not all) of the articles in said magazine are lies. Though if I were Abel in this instance I would go with what the magazine said and start dating the cute little mousey for no other reason than the protection it would bring him. (then again we don't know the terms of Jy-squeeks protection)

maus_merryjest

I bet Abel regrets not squashing that bug now.

Sofox

Quote from: maus_merryjest on November 05, 2012, 09:08:29 AM

Not even squashing him, the guy literally offered Abel his camera. If he'd taken 2 seconds to commit theft and destruction of personal property, he'd have been much futher in the clear by now.

Tapewolf

Oh, another interesting point.  Was that letter sent by Nitemyst and co, and Kria is happening the following day, or did someone else pre-emptively investigate Abel for reasons of their own?

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Sofox on November 05, 2012, 09:24:05 AM
Quote from: maus_merryjest on November 05, 2012, 09:08:29 AM

Not even squashing him, the guy literally offered Abel his camera. If he'd taken 2 seconds to commit theft and destruction of personal property, he'd have been much futher in the clear by now.

Perhaps not.  The interesting question is how that cover shot was taken and by whom, since they were well aware of Chicki and her antics and would have been on the lookout for her when that shot was taken, and she was never shown taking it in the comic, as far as I know.
They obviously would have noticed a photographer directly in front of them unless said photographer were either hidden very well (not likely considering the near eye level angle of the shot, unless they're overlooking a forest or something), or using very good optical camouflage magic to essentially make themselves and their camera invisible.

That aside, I think it's sweet of Lorenda to have gotten her mother a "#1 Mom" mug, despite how much she tends to embarrass her.

Icon by Sunblink

Atharyn

Since we can't read all of the script on the mug, while it could be a "#1 mom" mug, all I could thing was "I nom".  Given Kria's past it just seems to fit..

joshofspam

Chiki is all over Jyras's mansion. :U

I get the why he thinks Abel might be hiding behind Jyras. But anyone from the inn can tell them Abel is to much of a reclusive individual to have the time out in public to be directly responsible for Merltiz's death.

I can't help but feel that Nite might be over focusing on a single creature though. I hope this doesn't give the cubi killer their next target.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on November 05, 2012, 12:04:29 PM
I can't help but feel that Nite might be over focusing on a single creature though. I hope this doesn't give the cubi killer their next target.

I wondered whether Nitemyst was, despite his more compromising words on the previous pages, trying to convince Wildy that Abel was up to no good.  Although Wildy doesn't know Abel that well, she does know that he was there to act as Dan's guide, and she knows that Dan was terrified of becoming a monster, therefore a guide who was a monster would not be a suitable guide.  She also knows that Abel hasn't really had the chance to off Merlitz.

But how she can reveal why she thinks he's trustworthy without compromising Dan is going to be rather interesting.  Additional complications are that she was trying to engineer what the magazine claims is happening, and that Nitemyst will have almost certainly realised that Merlitz wasn't Merlitz the last time they met.  Wildy then has to explain that she blackmailed Abel into impersonating Merlitz which is going to look really odd.

Ted Schiller

That is an adorable Kria; one I would not run from in fear, thefore I know IT'S A TRICK!   :erk

With regards,
Ted

RandomMetaphysics

Hoooooo boy. Someone spun a wild story there.

Gabi

Speculation aside... there's a unicorn on that magazine cover! (Callie, right?) Which means there's an actual unicorn in the DMFA continuity!

(Yes, I'm making a lot of fuzz over a horse with a horn who may or may not have faked her weight loss, but it's just that I'm surprised because Amber said she didn't like them).
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Ignuus66

Whats so special about this? that's just an average magazine...

(credit: Gabi)

Lying Foo

I'm trying to figure out what Wildy's getting at... I get the feeling there's a lot between Friday's strip and today that we're missing.  What's important is the magazine.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Lenglon

paper on left side of panel 3:

greeting line:  ? Soulsteale? -> Ms Soulstealer -> assuming message is addressed to kria
open space
line 1: ?as recently? -> was recently -> probably something that boils down to "new information follows this statement"
line 2: ?ange occured? -> strange occured -> assuming means "information is noteworthy"
line 3: ?e year. In? -> the year. In -> i'm guessing Bachelor of the year "info is about jyras"
line 4: ?Rewanz wh? ->Abel Rewanz where -> no clue what is actually being said about abel, but "info is about abel" can be assumed from that. (where seems an akward fit, but i can't think of anything else for it)
line 5: While we ? -> While we -> while is being used either as "but" as in: while X is true, do Y anyway, OR while is being used as "during" as in: while jyras is bachelor of the year.
line 6: [blurred text] -> soul/sunk/look to/of ?unknown letter at start of a word? -> i'm guessing they're saying something bad about abel here, but it's crazy blurred.
line 7: has ca[blurred text] -> has caused -> nowhere near as blurred as the last one, but still difficult. i'd guess "abel has caused jyras too" or "abel/jyras has caused US too"
line 8: that the? -> that the -> yeah, this line isn't usefull without context
open space
line 9: If you? -> if you -> if you want to become involved/protect abel/whatever, then you should...
line 10: su??s -> in-sults / suits -> part of the above line i think
open space

i think that paper is a letter to kria telling her to do something about this, not the text of the mag article.
who sent her that letter and why?

Amber Williams

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 05, 2012, 12:15:08 PM
 She also knows that Abel hasn't really had the chance to off Merlitz.

That would be incorrect.  Wildy doesn't live at Lost Lake nor spend all her time keeping records of Abel's activity.  So there are a few gaps of time where Abel could have easily skittered off and done other things without anyone being aware of it.  Like the fact he "sleeps" which if he was faking it would give him at least 8 hours a night where no one is checking in on him.  Wildy highly doubts that is the case, but she is well aware she cannot 100% be certain at this time.

Quote from: Gabi on November 05, 2012, 01:47:00 PM
Speculation aside... there's a unicorn on that magazine cover! (Callie, right?) Which means there's an actual unicorn in the DMFA continuity!

(Yes, I'm making a lot of fuzz over a horse with a horn who may or may not have faked her weight loss, but it's just that I'm surprised because Amber said she didn't like them).

It's not that I don't really like them, it's just I don't really think about them.   They exist in the sense they are horses with horns...but they kind of lack the mythological power of their real world counterparts.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on November 05, 2012, 03:49:24 PM
That would be incorrect.  Wildy doesn't live at Lost Lake nor spend all her time keeping records of Abel's activity.  So there are a few gaps of time where Abel could have easily skittered off and done other things without anyone being aware of it.  Like the fact he "sleeps" which if he was faking it would give him at least 8 hours a night where no one is checking in on him.  Wildy highly doubts that is the case, but she is well aware she cannot 100% be certain at this time.

Ooh, good point.

joshofspam

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 05, 2012, 04:23:47 PM

Ooh, good point.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

To be fair to Nite, it sounds more like a review of why Nite is suspicious, rather then why he thinks Abel is simply guilty.

Though I wondering if bringing Kria in on this will go over so well with all parties involved?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

MUDPUNISHER

How is Abel to react?

Well I'm sure brother will either go sleep in his room, kill the bug thingy that took the pictures, or just yell alot..... OR answer D, All of the above.
MUDPUNISHER commander of the 77th ArmoredCav.Forum destroyer of wallshanderouterofgrenades,
ahahah turning the car into oncoming traffic... IS COUNTER PRODUCTIVE-Jim Carey
avatarby-Hapless-Enigma...THANKYOU
APRIL4th= GRENADEMAS
also...... Can I be Abels brother?... pleeeaaassseee

RandomMetaphysics

Quote from: joshofspam on November 05, 2012, 05:32:21 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on November 05, 2012, 04:23:47 PM
That would be incorrect.  Wildy doesn't live at Lost Lake nor spend all her time keeping records of Abel's activity.  So there are a few gaps of time where Abel could have easily skittered off and done other things without anyone being aware of it.  Like the fact he "sleeps" which if he was faking it would give him at least 8 hours a night where no one is checking in on him.  Wildy highly doubts that is the case, but she is well aware she cannot 100% be certain at this time.

Ooh, good point.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

To be fair to Nite, it sounds more like a review of why Nite is suspicious, rather then why he thinks Abel is simply guilty.

Though I wondering if bringing Kria in on this will go over so well with all parties involved?

If I understand this correctly, according to Nite, he believes that the one(s) responsible for offing Cubi are using the story in the magazine as a shield of sorts. Cubi already have a bad reputation. Some of it is warranted but a lot of it also isn't as well. Fa'Lina also pointed out how people generally have a hard time trusting a race of Creatures who are known to rely on stealth and subterfuge to get around problems that cannot otherwise be solved through diplomatic means.

If we take the bad rap Cubi tend to get into account, the situation looks very shady:
• Jyrras is Zenvth's poster-child.
• He is known for his innovations and inventions - particularly the patches, a blend of science and magic, which change one's physical appearance.
• He shares his residence with Kria's daughter - an heir of the Soulstealers.

Many people in-comic already knew this stuff. However, what they didn't know was that Jyrras has had contact with a Cubi. From the cover, it looks like the magazine is implying:
• Jyrras has had contact with Cubi for a while now (probably before creating the patches to learn "Cubi shape-shifting magic").
• He was having secret meetings.
• Finally, apparently all of these things are part of some horribly complicated plan that involves using Lorenda as a pawn.

We can tell that, just by looking at this cover, this magazine is more than likely rubbish. However it appears that the media is as powerful a weapon in DMFA as it is in our world. If you put all of this together, you have a disaster waiting to happen.

Now, normally, I doubt Kria would give a Cubi the time of day, but this is Abel we're talking about here. Unless something happened off camera, Kira probably still considers Abel like family. If she can confirm his identity, she'd probably do whatever she can do make sure this story and the magazine gets discredited (or the offices responsible for writing/editing/publishing it are blown to kingdom-come). I'm thinking that the only reason Kria got a copy of this magazine delivered to her, is because it involved a Cubi, Zenvth's poster-child, and her daughter. The last of those two things are of extreme importance to her, both personally and career-wise. Not to mention, Zenvth hasn't exactly had good encounters with Cubi *cough* *cough* Aniz *cough*.

[On a side note, I'm also more than willing to bet that the incident with Aniz is going to get brought up publicly in this whole fiasco. If anyone can draw a connection between Aniz and Abel, this situation is only going to get worse]

Lying Foo

Aniz did cause a bit of a stir back in the day, didn't he?

...oh, my... how long can it be before it comes out that Aniz's son is living under the roof of the Ti'fonas' daughter?  And then from there, how long until the press catches wind of the day a certain succubus came to Lost Lake...?

(And from there, how long until Nitemyste puts two and two... okay, I can't finish that sentence with a straight face.)
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Tapewolf

Quote from: RandomMetaphysics on November 05, 2012, 08:13:16 PM
Now, normally, I doubt Kria would give a Cubi the time of day, but this is Abel we're talking about here. Unless something happened off camera, Kira probably still considers Abel like family.

Well, she seems to be okay with Dan.  While it's likely that Kria still has a soft spot for Abel, I think he blames her for murdering Devin, so it may very well not go both ways, at least at first.

QuoteIf she can confirm his identity, she'd probably do whatever she can do make sure this story and the magazine gets discredited (or the offices responsible for writing/editing/publishing it are blown to kingdom-come). I'm thinking that the only reason Kria got a copy of this magazine delivered to her, is because it involved a Cubi, Zenvth's poster-child, and her daughter. The last of those two things are of extreme importance to her, both personally and career-wise. Not to mention, Zenvth hasn't exactly had good encounters with Cubi *cough* *cough* Aniz *cough*.

Though it must be pointed out that Zinvth has since opened trade links with at least one clan.

Alondro

Quote from: Gabi on November 05, 2012, 01:47:00 PM

It's not that I don't really like them, it's just I don't really think about them.   They exist in the sense they are horses with horns...but they kind of lack the mythological power of their real world counterparts.

No powers, eh?  Not yet, you mean!  *starts gathering surgical tools and arcane equipment, while whistling a happy song*  It's experiment time again!   :kruger
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif