8/10/2012 [DMFA #1329] - Moar flashback! Doodly-doodly-doodly…

Started by Jairus, August 10, 2012, 12:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

I have to say, I'm impressed that a joke from that long ago turns out to actually have been somewhat serious. So, the next question is, who is "they" that our nigh-omniscient poodle headmistress is referring to? Dan's friends? Other Cubi in the area?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Plotting

It would seem that the B-O-B is still hell-bent on killing Abel - even though he had nothing to do with the death or Merlitz.

They have taken the Oracles word at face value, found a 'Cubi at Lost Lake, and have decided that he is guilty, and now are trying to be his executioners. And if they actually do realize that he is innocent, then they would likely think anything of their actions - even if they had just killed him. And I think they will use any excuse to try and kill Abel simply because he is an Incubus. I mean even mythos "know" that Incubi eat babies and steal dreams and stuff.

lycaonpictus77

We FINALLY get to see what she said to convince him! I am ridiculously excited right now.
Well, considering things--what has happened that Abel's presence was essential for stopping? Or was there something that was going to happen, and Abel's being there kept it from happening?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

kztxl7

Nite seems pretty hellbent on this. Sure they may "know everything" but they're almost never completely straight forward. He seems not to notice the Phoenix never even gave a name to go along with "Cubi".

Infranscia

Personally, I'm wondering how exactly what Fa'Lina says ties into 'other Cubi from Lost Lake.'  It does seem likely that there's some other 'Cubi from Lost Lake' involved somehow, though it currently feels like we're still missing something, to me.

Hmm...  Maybe this isn't all the flashback has to tell us.  Maybe we'll see more Monday...  *waits*
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Plotting

Quote from: Infranscia on August 10, 2012, 01:23:44 AM
Personally, I'm wondering how exactly what Fa'Lina says ties into 'other Cubi from Lost Lake.'  It does seem likely that there's some other 'Cubi from Lost Lake' involved somehow, though it currently feels like we're still missing something, to me.

Hmm...  Maybe this isn't all the flashback has to tell us.  Maybe we'll see more Monday...  *waits*

Well I think it would almost be a given that there are more 'Cubi in Lost Lake' than we have actually seen. Lost Lake' seems to be a large area. Probability alone would say that there would be more than one 'Cubi in the entire territory.

They are also shapeshifters, and it would be in their interests to hide the fact that they are 'Cubi from casual racists and anti-wing groups.

Nino

Hmm...  Maybe this isn't all the flashback has to tell us.  Maybe we'll see more Monday...  *waits*

Probably the tie-in is between Merlitz being dead and Falina talking about 'they' being dead. On a more direct level, maybe Fa'Lina was saying the Lost Lake crew, or possibly just Destania and Dan, would be the ones dead, and were going to be killed by another Cubi. So in other words - a Cubi from Lost Lake killed Merlitz, and if Abel hadn't gone to intervene in some way, that Cubi would kill whoever else Falina was talking about too. Or else it is an indirect thing and Abel wasn't able to prevent Merlitz's death, thus he killed him indirectly (or Dan/Destania were indirectly responsible for being the real intended targets, and Merlitz was killed because someone thought he might be one of them in disguise).

Oh wait, maybe it's whoever's been picking off the other Cubi that Wildy's been investigating (after all, we know it's around the Lost Lake region at least, so it's not too far fetched to think it's another Cubi). And the next target would have been Dan (or Dan AND Destania). So Abel's going to be able to prevent that from happening.

This would make sense that "another cubi from Lost Lake" would make Abel think of what Falina said, if she was referring to Destania then as well as Dan being the ones targeted (since Destania is another cubi from Lost Lake).

ALSO

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1265.php

We're at chapter 30! I'm not sure if this has been brought up already, but I just noticed it :p

PhycoKrusk

"Cubi from Lost Lake" includes Abel, yes, but also Dan, Aaryanna, and Destania too.

Also, I may be blanking here, but while the Lost Lake Inn is a landmark, isn't Lost Lake itself, you know, a geographical feature on the landscape, meaning that "Cubi from Lost Lake" would include the above four, plus ANY AND ALL OTHER CUBI that might be living in the GENERAL VICINITY?

As plans go, charging into the Inn and killing the first Cubi they found was, at best (meaning they were right), irresponsible, and, at worst (meaning any other situation), unprovoked murder.

Or, as they call it in the adventuring industry, "business as usual." Man, things got dark.

joshofspam

Hmmmmmm...Maybe this might be another reason why Fa'lina didn't like Merlitz. Being the trigger through a stupid action and getting his friends killed because of it.

"They will be dead in less then a month" does seem so ominous. I'm going to take it she means all those that came and didn't stay at Saia. That's Dan, Wildy, The Rats, Mab, Merlitz, Jyrras and Pip.

That's quite an impressive hit list to the cast.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Plotting on August 10, 2012, 12:56:32 AM
They have taken the Oracles word at face value, found a 'Cubi at Lost Lake, and have decided that he is guilty, and now are trying to be his executioners.

I think that's easily resolved, if only by threats from Wildy.  After all, she now knows who they are and how to locate them.

EDIT:
Oh, or from Abel: "Says the person who was trying to murder Alexsi over it."

What is curious though, is that the impression Amber has been giving us lately (including Abel's own opinion) that 'Cubi aren't usually very murderous.  They're highly strung, emotionally sensitive and they need to be around living people to feed.  They can easily be pushed to violence, and that might be what happened to Merlitz, but one planning a massacre as is implied here, that seems to be pretty rare.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Hariman

Hmm. The Blunt Object Brigade needs a lesson in listening to the exact wording of anything an Oracle says.

"From Lost Lake" does not mean "The First Cubi Who Punches One Of You For Knocking Out His Employer and Happens To Be."

It's like the Oracles have to be as cryptic and easily misinterpreted as possible, even when being blunt.

Personally, I think the Oracles are up to something. In fact, I'm guessing this is their play to kill Jyrras by eliminating his friends first, or some other long and convoluted scheme.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

lycaonpictus77

Quote from: Hariman on August 10, 2012, 03:28:36 AM
Hmm. The Blunt Object Brigade needs a lesson in listening to the exact wording of anything an Oracle says.

"From Lost Lake" does not mean "The First Cubi Who Punches One Of You For Knocking Out His Employer and Happens To Be."

It's like the Oracles have to be as cryptic and easily misinterpreted as possible, even when being blunt.

Personally, I think the Oracles are up to something. In fact, I'm guessing this is their play to kill Jyrras by eliminating his friends first, or some other long and convoluted scheme.

Do they want to kill Jyrras? I was under the impression that they were more of a "What is is what must be" sort of race. Of the creature council, they have probably the least reason to want him dead, considering their lifestyle.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Tapewolf

Actually, a better comeback for Abel would be "Well, there were two others here, but they went back to the 'Cubi Academy".

One thing that had me puzzled is the fact that Abel was eager to get back to the Academy.  Though thinking about it, Dan is most likely the nexus of the trouble, so perhaps he assumed that the inn would be safe while Dan was away.  

It's possible that the Oracle's statement is referring to Dan and/or Destania, in that the Dragons killed Merlitz to try and find Destania, [thus killed Merlitz indirectly].

Plotting

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 10, 2012, 04:26:34 AM
One thing that had me puzzled is the fact that Abel was eager to get back to the Academy.  Though thinking about it, Dan is most likely the nexus of the trouble, so perhaps he assumed that the inn would be safe while Dan was away.  

Actually it is because Abel works for Alexsi, and she would not let him take a the time off because:

a. He did not have enough leave saved up (see here)
b. It was coming up to the busiest part of the year for her business (see here)

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 10, 2012, 04:26:34 AM
Actually, a better comeback for Abel would be "Well, there were two others here, but they went back to the 'Cubi Academy".

An even better comeback would come from Wildy "Yes, there are many other Cubi here in Lost Lake' - and several of them have been murdered."

Tapewolf

Quote from: Plotting on August 10, 2012, 04:35:29 AM
Actually it is because Abel works for Alexsi, and she would not let him take a the time off because:

True, but misses the point.  Yes, she stopped Abel from leaving, but why did he ask to leave if he knew he had to be there to keep the main cast alive?

Plotting

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 10, 2012, 04:45:48 AM

True, but misses the point.  Yes, she stopped Abel from leaving, but why did he ask to leave if he knew he had to be there to keep the main cast alive?

I guess because he did not really want to be outside of SAIA at the time. Also, Fa'lina never said how long he had to be there to keep them alive - he may of though it was simply a matter of turning up for x many days/months and then he could go back to SAIA.

lycaonpictus77

Quote from: Plotting on August 10, 2012, 04:46:50 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 10, 2012, 04:45:48 AM

True, but misses the point.  Yes, she stopped Abel from leaving, but why did he ask to leave if he knew he had to be there to keep the main cast alive?

I guess because he did not really want to be outside of SAIA at the time.

Yeah, but he wouldn't feel very secure doing that if he knew he was leaving everyone to be murdered in their beds.

Plotting

Quote from: lycaonpictus77 on August 10, 2012, 04:48:00 AM
Yeah, but he wouldn't feel very secure doing that if he knew he was leaving everyone to be murdered in their beds.

Perhaps. He does claim to be evil though. And it is hard to judge his intentions. Unless you are Jyrrus and meep his nose!  :mowmeep

TacticalError

What's this? A DMFA strip without a funny punchline? Well, it was needed.

Also, is Abel deflecting all the magic completely in the 2nd panel, or is it doing a bit of damage before bouncing off?

Tapewolf

Ohhhhh.  This is why Abel went to town on Pyroduck, isn't it?  He thought he was the threat.

Nino

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 10, 2012, 05:27:55 AM
Ohhhhh.  This is why Abel went to town on Pyroduck, isn't it?  He thought he was the threat.

Seems that way, since Fa'Lina even seemed to think a dragon would be the threat.

TacticalError

Quote from: Nino on August 10, 2012, 07:18:07 AM

Seems that way, since Fa'Lina even seemed to think a dragon would be the threat.

Or did she just think that he would be facing off against a dragon at some point, and it wasn't the main threat?

Plotting

Quote from: TacticalError on August 10, 2012, 08:06:17 AM
Or did she just think that he would be facing off against a dragon at some point, and it wasn't the main threat?

Well, considering that she said that "the second any dragon finds out Dan is from Cyra's Clan they are going to try to kill him...except for one dragon. He's nice."

So dragons are likely going to be a main threat at some point.

icarus

Quote from: Nino on August 10, 2012, 01:42:55 AM

Hmm...  Maybe this isn't all the flashback has to tell us.  Maybe we'll see more Monday...  *waits*

Probably the tie-in is between Merlitz being dead and Falina talking about 'they' being dead. On a more direct level, maybe Fa'Lina was saying the Lost Lake crew, or possibly just Destania and Dan, would be the ones dead, and were going to be killed by another Cubi. So in other words - a Cubi from Lost Lake killed Merlitz, and if Abel hadn't gone to intervene in some way, that Cubi would kill whoever else Falina was talking about too. Or else it is an indirect thing and Abel wasn't able to prevent Merlitz's death, thus he killed him indirectly (or Dan/Destania were indirectly responsible for being the real intended targets, and Merlitz was killed because someone thought he might be one of them in disguise).

Oh wait, maybe it's whoever's been picking off the other Cubi that Wildy's been investigating (after all, we know it's around the Lost Lake region at least, so it's not too far fetched to think it's another Cubi). And the next target would have been Dan (or Dan AND Destania). So Abel's going to be able to prevent that from happening.

This would make sense that "another cubi from Lost Lake" would make Abel think of what Falina said, if she was referring to Destania then as well as Dan being the ones targeted (since Destania is another cubi from Lost Lake).

ALSO

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1265.php

We're at chapter 30! I'm not sure if this has been brought up already, but I just noticed it :p

i like you. you're full of logic and thinks. i actually came over here to type up something along these lines and MY GOD SOMEONE NEW(?) DID IT FOR ME

as a reward for your thinks nino i will draw you a thing

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

justacritic

Prophecy is never as reliable as you would think. That makes me wonder has the phoenix race ever suffered as a concequence for their vagueness?

RJ

Hmm... that sixth panel there...

I have to say, this plot is getting really interesting. :3

Tapewolf

Aganerral

Just a timeline question though...I know it's hard to figure, but it seems like it has to have been more than a month since Dan, Abel et al left SAIA the first time.  The whole bit with Kria, DP, Regina, Lorenda was over the course of at least a week (Even if just starting from when DP was resurrected, Dan had several days to sweat over Kria's invite to dinner), just for starters.  So it seems unlikely that the dead within a month refers to this fight with the B-O-B. 

joshofspam

There's also the fact that Abel never left the Inn for very long if he could help it that would probably have to be reconsidered after this.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Ryy Lazurus

Several times now (in his chapter) I have muttered "S**t just got real".

Honestly, If Amber keeps this up, the forth wall is toast!