2013/07/18 [DMFA #1416] - A perfectly understandable mistake

Started by Angel, July 19, 2013, 12:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angel

Hm. We all remember the moral of Comic 618, yes. But the green eyes, the loving, soft-hearted look...

Jeepers, you guys, I dunno, I think this might really be Destania! But she says she's not, so who knows? [/sarcasm]
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Kirrin_Shadowclaw

Hm, yes indeed, things could very well not be all they seem to be and may seem to be what they are not.
Ask not for whom the bell tolls, ask why is that guy holding his ears?

AzureEdge

Wanderer

Or maybe she isn't who she doesn't seem to not be right now!  :D

joshofspam

In a school of shapeshifters, taking someones identity for granted could lead to awkward situations.

Indeed, it would make sense that Destania would be a little reluctant to come here if being here would reveal all her plans to Fa'lina.

That is if they are still within the academy. But it also brings the question of who would go around looking like Destania at a meeting such as this?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

llearch n'n'daCorna

In a school of shapeshifters...

.. I think we saw recently just how well that works, didn't we?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Brunhidden

the question that would be actually frightening is if people actually 'dress up' as her, specifically her not that blue is in at the moment, with any frequency. is she that legendary? is someone playing a practical joke on dan and we will see seven other blue kitties? is it just common to impersonate instructors that have gone missing for the past few years? does dan breathe a sigh of relief cause he thought she was hot and that would be all kinds of weird? can dan have any way at all of believing anyone he sees is actually who he sees them as while here?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Kirrin_Shadowclaw

It may Very well be Dimanika messing with him or something completely Different!

Tuyu

If she says she isn't, it must really be her... :D

(The sensible guess is that she's an advanced shapeshifting instructor practicing what she teaches. No better test than impersonating someone's mother. Now, what clan would that maker her?)

Nice to have an opportunity to see Dee being nice, though, even though it isn't her.

Tapewolf

We'll see, but I think Dimanika.  It would have to be someone fairly hardcore because I suspect a normal 'Cubi would be in grave danger if Destania found out.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Lego3400

This could very well be Dee messing with dan's head.

He's not exactly slow on the uptake and she's fooled him before. (And possibly for his entire life...)

MT Hazard

Waaay back in 1409 she called him Dan on first meeting.

Dan: Well, I mus be going... Wait, if you don't know me how did you know my name?

Not-Destania: Errrr...
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lego3400 on July 19, 2013, 05:57:44 AM
This could very well be Dee messing with dan's head.

He's not exactly slow on the uptake and she's fooled him before. (And possibly for his entire life...)

It's worth remembering that Biggs enumerated SAIA as one of the places Destania couldn't or wouldn't go.  Also, Destania knows that Dan is there so she shouldn''t be too surprised to see him.

Also, given this and the following two pages: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1277.php
Piflak is liable to punch Destania's lights out if they're both in the same room, so I'd be surprised if this was not another Clan Leader.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: MT Hazard on July 19, 2013, 06:02:30 AM

Dan: Well, I mus be going... Wait, if you don't know me how did you know my name?

School of shapeshifters AND MIND READERS.

Also, let's not forget Dan's a minor celebrity as a clan representative right now... between Abel's and Mink's introductions I'm sure half the school knows his name.

joshofspam

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on July 19, 2013, 09:58:50 AM

Also, let's not forget Dan's a minor celebrity as a clan representative right now... between Abel's and Mink's introductions I'm sure half the school knows his name.

That being said, taking his mother's form might be a more effeciante way of getting Dan's attention.

In other words, if this isn't Dan's mom, it's possible she's using this form to pick him out of a group and come talk to her/him.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Mao

It looks to me like someone just wanted to see how he'd react to a weird/unexpected situation.

Brunhidden

Quote from: Mao on July 19, 2013, 12:41:10 PM
It looks to me like someone just wanted to see how he'd react to a weird/unexpected situation.

we already established that virtually everyone there wants to screw with him- either because they think hes cute, think of him as an experiment, or are sadistic bastards, or all three
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Tuyu

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on July 19, 2013, 09:58:50 AM

And she didn't say she didn't know who he was until now. She's saying it would be a more awkward situation if Dan continued to be unsure of who she was while she continued to neither confirm or deny that she was who she appeared to be.

Whether or not she's an SAIA teacher, she's definitely giving him a lesson.

Shadowdancer

A surprise doesn't usually work twice, so it's probably just Amber finding new and interesting ways to torment Dan. Or in context, I'm going with the 'Another clan leader' option.

I wonder if he'll ever be able to get one-up on one of them? Nah, if he did it would probably be a test too.
The most powerful magic is just a distraction.

Kirrin_Shadowclaw

I still vote for it being Dimanika but i've been wrong before so we'll have to wait and see.

Xan

Quote from: Brunhidden on July 19, 2013, 12:51:42 PM
Quote from: Mao on July 19, 2013, 12:41:10 PM

we already established that virtually everyone there wants to screw with him- either because they think hes cute, think of him as an experiment, or are sadistic bastards, or all three

As Zezzuva so tactfully put it, the clan leaders are testing him finding out who he is, and seeing how far did the apple fall from the tree, so to speak. Seeing that the clan leaders Dan has meant so far have between fifteen thousand to thirty-one thousand of years of life experience, there is probably a method to their madness and that most of them are really really bored.  :3

Seems like the most common guess who is this Dee is Dimanika and she does seem like the most likely candidate.
Two other Clan leaders are uncounted for. Owona, but judging by her clan profile in Demo. 101 she would most likely had sent a clan representative in her place.
The second one, though extremely unlikely, Quaor, his sudden appearance would make things interesting, and who would had expected him? But like I said, that scenario seems very very unlikely.

Ooo.. A thought came to me while typing this post.
Maybe the Seme representative found out that Dan knows where Abel is, and was looking for him, but she haven't met him yet so she doesn't know what he looks like, but she knew want Destania looks like. So she used her form to find Dan. Mmmm... A bit of comic back tracking makes that theory a bit shaky, though the jewelry can be easily removed and the clothing could be a product of shapeshifting.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow. Unless Amber decides to be evil and torment us with another scene change.   :P