Oh Snap! Pluto not planet...

Started by KarlOmega1, August 25, 2006, 12:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarlOmega1

If you guys have seen the news earlier, those dang scientist declared that Pluto is not a Planet...What The Heck?!
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Aridas

But didn't they say not that long ago that pluto was not only a planet, but 3 or so more other pluto-ish and not so pluto-ish rockthings?

Amber Williams

Basically they had an option of either redefining their definition of a planet, or keeping the definition and running risk of adding up to 50 other celestial bodies to the roster.

I think schoolkids everywhere would rather have 8 planets than 50 to memorize.

ElectroMotive

well pluto ia a bit on the small side to be considered a planet. it's  smaller than the moon.

Kasarn

Zina

Don't worry guys, she's in a better place.

Aridas

So, everything referring to pluto or named pluto is just a sham then I guess

Amber Williams

Well the name Pluto was derived from a Roman God if I recall right...so I think that has senority over things.

Actually...I think most of our planets are named after Greek/Roman deities.

Manawolf

Roman, they just stole the pantheon from the Greeks and renamed all the Gods, from what I can tell.

thegayhare

Pluto was the god of the dead I think

xHaZxMaTx

All I know is that Mars is the God of War in Roman mythology.

thegayhare

Mars was roman, Aries was greek

Pluto, and Hades were the roman and greek gods of the dead

Dakata

Is Uranus a god too? :B

[/off-topic]

thegayhare

yep,  uranus is a god,  In fact uranus is the roman god of the sky

Zina

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Gods oh wiki, is there anything you can't do?
Yeah, all the planets are named after roman gods. I'm not too familiar with how much the Romans changed them, but Greek myths and gods have always held a special place in my heart. XD And I do know Pluto was the (very unhappy) king of Hades. Poor guy. He got the short end of the stick there. D:

insanekaosx

I say we make Pluto an exception to the rule, because it's been declared a planet, you can't just take that away! Its like saying "Here, you can be a worker here! Oh wait, your fired!" Or something.

and because i'm a genius and know everything *And by that, I mean I know th eplanets because Iw as a space geek as a kid*
Planet->Greek equivalent->god of

Mercury->Hermes->Messenger of the Gods
Venus->Aphrodite->Beauty
Mars->Aries->War
Jupiter->Zeus->King of Gods/lightning
Saturn->Cronus->ex-king of gods, dad of 6 main gods
Uranus->Same I think->Father of all things, kinda >> The night sky.
Neptune->Posideon->the sea
PLuto->Hades->The dead

I could do moons too, but I'll stop here >>

mini-lion

the real question is are all the school science lessons going to be changed what about all the textbook and indeed any upcoming exams?

lucas marcone

could i get a reliable links to something saying thayre finished? friends refuse to go on hear-say

Netami

Quote from: insanekaosx on August 25, 2006, 02:35:11 AM
I say we make Pluto an exception to the rule, because it's been declared a planet, you can't just take that away! Its like saying "Here, you can be a worker here! Oh wait, your fired!" Or something.

They did the same thing to Ceres. And bringing Pluto in actually messed up the old way of kids remembering it for school.

luiqui

What was the old way of remembering planets?

It's screwed up my way: Many Very Eager Mountaineers Jump Swiftly Up New Peaks

And for that, the IAU deserve swift justice. Potentially via carpet bombing, potentially via an angry letter. I'm undecided.

Leafar

well, that sux...what will i do with my pluto card from CotM now?
what is it then? a giant flowting ice rock? :)
those dudes can't decide... they have nothing to do so they create these...someone should introduce them the mighty BOOZE!!!!!!!!! :O

ITOS

Quote from: Leafar on August 25, 2006, 09:33:38 AM
those dudes can't decide...

As far as I know, there is no international law on what is and what is not a planet... just an agreement between established scientists. :P
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Leafar

Nikki

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

xHaZxMaTx

Giving booze to scientists would be bad, look what happened to Ireland! D: (Family Guy reference)

Nikki

What is to become of me without my 3rd favorite planet!!??

Er, 3rd favorite Sailor scout ^^;;

1- Sailor Mars
2-Sailor Saturn
3-Sailor Pluto

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Roureem Egas

You'll survive. We all will, somehow. :<

And kaos, Hades was the god of the dead, not death. There's a bit of a difference.

Nikki

*God-knowledge turns on*

who wants to know about teh gods/planets?

Leafar

Quote from: Roureem Egas on August 25, 2006, 10:53:06 AM
You'll survive. We all will, somehow. :<

And kaos, Hades WAS the god of the dead, not death. There's a bit of a difference.

still is man...

Damaris

Arguably, since there is no significant portion of society that follows that form of religion any longer, "was" is appropriate.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber