04/06/2012 [DMFA# 1314] Tastes like a shoe

Started by TacticalError, June 04, 2012, 03:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacticalError

I find it odd that Abel emerges from his room out of intrigue but not for promises of no 'Happy Birthday' songs. Then again, I shouldn't find anything about Abel odd at this point...

Plotting

If it is a hockey puck like Abel thinks then it is a very large icing covered hockey puck! Imagine how big the hockey sticks would need to be for a puck the size of a cake :P

I wonder what it tastes like? Or if Jy-Jy had any help in making it?

ShadesFox

I resent that! I'm a scientist and pretty decent with the food ;p
The All Purpose Fox

Plotting

I was just thinking - Abel might be surprised that Jyrras baked the cake, but at least they did not let Mab do the cooking. Those nightmare causing brownies still give me the hystericals!

Ignuus66

Well that's one way to make the door open...

Though I would have prefered the more dramatic way! (Mab doing it)

Nothing seems to have gone wrong... So far...

(credit: Gabi)

Ravenscroft

Jyrras is amazingly adorable! That happy little face! :) squeee!

Dramatic Scene Change!
Oh wow! Uh Yeah Sorry about that turns out I'm quite, quite mad. I'm terribly sorry about the inconvenience of it all. Personally I'm as scared as all of you must be. But on the Plus side I'm not dangerous! Just not to be taken personally.

Ignuus66

Oh and this comic sheet was written in the Middle ages- According to the date anyways  :P

Also, as Shades posted, being a engineer/scientist does not mean that you have to be bad at cooking- in fact all the programmers, scientists and chemists  I know are very good cooks.

Brunhidden

the distinction must be made between 'scientist' and 'mad scientist'. the latter are rarely known for their culinary prowess, although anyone with the title 'the impaler' could always start a kebab shop
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Sofox

Jyrras is so cute in that last panel, it's like he's taking lessons from Nyil.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Brunhidden on June 04, 2012, 11:11:01 AM
the distinction must be made between 'scientist' and 'mad scientist'. the latter are rarely known for their culinary prowess, although anyone with the title 'the impaler' could always start a kebab shop
I'm pretty sure Tesla could cook, and he is as close as you can get to a mad scientist In real life as you can get. But he was a good one :P

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Sofox on June 04, 2012, 11:43:08 AM
Jyrras is so cute in that last panel, it's like he's taking lessons from Nyil.

*ROFLSNERK*

Who do you think Nyil probably learned it from?

Edit: Also, the cake, does not appear to be a lie..
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Brunhidden

Quote from: Ignuus66 on June 04, 2012, 11:52:32 AM
I'm pretty sure Tesla could cook, and he is as close as you can get to a mad scientist In real life as you can get. But he was a good one :P

cooking termite don't count. besides, he was terrified of round objects like eggs and knobs.

testla- i have invented a new egg-less cake using a Bunsen burner instead of evil stoves. it contains a years dietary compliment of niacin, features a cobalt blue finish, and can independently rotate at thirty RPM if left in the sun!

eddison- why do the candles sparkle in cyan?

testla- because they emit radio waves on the frequency of the human eye by degradation of thorium isotopes, don't look directly at them

TacticalError

Quote from: Ignuus66 on June 04, 2012, 10:57:53 AM
Oh and this comic sheet was written in the Middle ages- According to the date anyways  :P

Yeah, I noticed that. Was cake as we know it even around in 1012?

Ignuus66

Quote from: Brunhidden on June 04, 2012, 12:13:26 PM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on June 04, 2012, 11:52:32 AM

cooking termite don't count. besides, he was terrified of round objects like eggs and knobs.

testla- i have invented a new egg-less cake using a Bunsen burner instead of evil stoves. it contains a years dietary compliment of niacin, features a cobalt blue finish, and can independently rotate at thirty RPM if left in the sun!

eddison- why do the candles sparkle in cyan?

testla- because they emit radio waves on the frequency of the human eye by degradation of thorium isotopes, don't look directly at them
You CAN use tesla coils to cook chicken :P (science project)

joshofspam

They have hockey in Furrae?

Hmmmmm...I can't help that today's comic was a fun little poke at another comic with a person that considers cooking is a science.

I personally think Jyrras's choice in candles very thought out. Nothing worst then a cake that can be used as a lighthouse and takes up all the room for frosting with a whole lot of candles.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Ignuus66

Quote from: joshofspam on June 04, 2012, 02:49:51 PM
They have hockey in Furrae?

Hmmmmm...I can't help that today's comic was a fun little poke at another comic with a person that considers cooking is a science.

I personally think Jyrras's Joice in candles very thought out. Nothing worst then a cake that can be used as a lighthouse and takes up all the room for frosting with a whole lot of candles.
That's the best kind of cake though...

It brightens up the room! but it sucks to eat the cake after.. To much wax.

e_voyager

Quote from: Plotting on June 04, 2012, 09:21:46 AM
I was just thinking - Abel might be surprised that Jyrras baked the cake, but at least they did not let Mab do the cooking. Those nightmare causing brownies still give me the hystericals!
he tired but wound up with a solid brick of something or the other covered in black frosting (that is frosting right? did he burn the frosting too?)  and candles.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Well hockey puck or not, I think it's safe to assume that cake is definitely chocolate.........................or just reeeally burnt. :tongue

Gabi

Quote from: ShadesFox on June 04, 2012, 07:51:58 AM
I resent that! I'm a scientist and pretty decent with the food ;p
No one said that scientists can't cook. Only that cooking isn't science.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

justacritic

Well at least it's the thought that counts, I wonder what Jyrras got Abel for his present...

Brunhidden

Quote from: TacticalError on June 04, 2012, 12:30:57 PM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on June 04, 2012, 10:57:53 AM

Yeah, I noticed that. Was cake as we know it even around in 1012?

yes, it was in fact very popular. however 'cake' at the time contained no sugar, instead it would include honey and suet with a mix of nuts and fruit. typically they were doused with alcohol and buried as a food preservation or as a military trail ration, but this is also the typical wedding cake up until the French developed refined flour and fine sugar, in parts of Great Brittan wedding cakes still include suet and fruit

e_voyager

Quote from: Brunhidden on June 04, 2012, 08:24:29 PM

yes, it was in fact very popular. however 'cake' at the time contained no sugar, instead it would include honey and suet with a mix of nuts and fruit. typically they were doused with alcohol and buried as a food preservation or as a military trail ration, but this is also the typical wedding cake up until the French developed refined flour and fine sugar, in parts of Great Brittan wedding cakes still include suet and fruit

i did not know that. also what's Suet again?
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Lurkie

Ah, I loved this comic.  Amber's expressions get better all the time.  Abel's "how do I get out of this?" expression in the first panel, and Jyrras' "I know it's horrible, c'mon, laugh with me!" expression in the last panel are both wonderful.

What is that cake supposed to be?  Really dark chocolate?  Or really overdone vanilla?  :-)  And black frosting to go with it -- what, liquorice ganash?  :-)  I can just imagine Jyrras in the kitchen, being, uh, assisted (yeah, that's the word) by Deebs and Mace.  Yikes.  (For the record, I had a roommate once who was at roughly Jyrras' level of culinary ability.  I swear, that boy could burn water.  He did once have the entire apartment complex he was living in evacuated, and the fire department summoned when he tried to make coffee.  When we decided to share an apartment [after the aforementioned coffee making incident], I told him, "I cook.  You clean."  We got along famously.)  Really, though, Jyrras needs to remember that cooking is a form of applied chemistry.  It even has a large body of art to go with the theory.  :-)

Quote from: e_voyager on June 04, 2012, 09:56:21 PM
i did not know that. also what's Suet again?

Suet is a type of fat, usually from beef or maybe mutton.  It has a high smoke point, which makes it nice for things like deep frying.  In the old days, it was much used when making things like steamed puddings.  Nowadays, probably the most common use (at least here in the US) that I've seen is as a type bird food.  Here, I've found a Wikipedia article that may shed a bit more light on the subject.
|  Space   ||   Space  ||  It's Hard  ||  A Place  ||  Burma  |
|  is Big  ||  is Dark ||   to Find   ||  to Park  ||  Shave  |

Ignuus66

Quote from: Lurkie on June 04, 2012, 11:04:12 PM
Ah, I loved this comic.  Amber's expressions get better all the time.  Abel's "how do I get out of this?" expression in the first panel, and Jyrras' "I know it's horrible, c'mon, laugh with me!" expression in the last panel are both wonderful.

What is that cake supposed to be?  Really dark chocolate?  Or really overdone vanilla?  :-)  And black frosting to go with it -- what, liquorice ganash?  :-)  I can just imagine Jyrras in the kitchen, being, uh, assisted (yeah, that's the word) by Deebs and Mace.  Yikes.  (For the record, I had a roommate once who was at roughly Jyrras' level of culinary ability.  I swear, that boy could burn water.  He did once have the entire apartment complex he was living in evacuated, and the fire department summoned when he tried to make coffee.  When we decided to share an apartment [after the aforementioned coffee making incident], I told him, "I cook.  You clean."  We got along famously.)  Really, though, Jyrras needs to remember that cooking is a form of applied chemistry.  It even has a large body of art to go with the theory.  :-)

Actually, he baked it meaning, that he put a  hockey puck in the oven. And then put icing and candles on it.

Wanna bet it's a decoy cake to get Abel out of his room, with the real cake hidden away?

e_voyager

If it is a decoy then i bet Jyrras will look crest fallen when they bring out the real cake.

TacticalError

Quote from: e_voyager on June 05, 2012, 12:13:08 PM
If it is a decoy then i bet Jyrras will look crest fallen when they bring out the real cake.

And if it is a decoy, I wonder if Abel will snarkily applaud Alexsi and Mab when he finds out it was bait-cake, or get super angry and storm back into his lair room.

Naldru

I once saw a Chemistry of Cooking course on a syllabus.  Many baking processes are actually polymerization reactions.  A cake becoming harder during baking is actually like the heating of a thermosetting plastic.  Taking such a course would prevent you from trying to bake cookies with saccharin instead of sugar, since the sugar is actually undergoing a chemical process in the baking process as well as providing sweets.  Broiling meats is also a chemical process.  A knowledge of physics can also be a help during cooking, as knowledge of heat transfer can ensure that the material is evenly cooked instead of being raw on the inside and caramelized on the outside.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

MT Hazard

I say cooking can be more like an art than a science, sure you can follow a recipe carefully and often get consistent results, but a truly wonderful culinary creation takes improvisation and imagination.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Ignuus66

Quote from: MT Hazard on June 06, 2012, 07:53:06 AM
I say cooking can be more like an art than a science, sure you can follow a recipe carefully and often get consistent results, but a truly wonderful culinary creation takes improvisation and imagination.
But it has a larger chance of failing dramatically if you don't apply science to it.

But it is fun to just experiment without bounds- as long as you don't kill yourself accidentally because of it.

Brunhidden

i shall once again intercede, with a scientist whose science is food

with a penchant for things like 'fire' and 'explosions'

videos including explosions included  http://www.eatmedaily.com/2009/10/alton-brown-makes-a-smoothie-using-a-water-cooler-and-a-fire-extinguisher-on-late-night-with-jimmy-fallon-video/

watch his cooking show, he goes to the hardware store roughly every 1.7 episodes, and instructs his audience to chuck the dinky little creme brule torch and grab a propane cutting torch