Bronycon got really big. O___o

Started by Alondro, June 28, 2012, 12:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

Well, the first Bronycon 1 year ago was around 300 people.

Then in January, the next one was 700.

Now, it's over 4,000.

With this rate of growth, the next Bronycon could be (everyone suddenly realizes where he's going with this and groans loudly)  OVER 9,000!!!

;D
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Ignuus66

(credit: Gabi)

Brunhidden

someone needs to analyze the ratio of awesome dudes to freaks who make the rest look bad
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Alondro

From what I've seen, freak ratio is much higher in furry than in brony.

This is especially true with the con-goers. 

Nowhere near as many prototypical 'fanbois' in the Bronycon crowd.

Bronycon also had an exceedingly diverse crowd as well.  With lots of girls!  (Girls at a fan convention?!  What is this heresy?)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Joe3210

Quote from: Alondro on July 02, 2012, 07:29:06 PM
From what I've seen, freak ratio is much higher in furry than in brony.
Aren't bronies a subset of furries?

Remember the Lyra oven mitt?
"You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!"

lawl

Damaris

Thanks, Alondro.

*is chopped liver at conventions, apparently*

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Alondro on July 02, 2012, 07:29:06 PM(Girls at a fan convention?!  What is this heresy?)

And you thought I was a will-o-wisp with a tail and ears? :3

*snrk* But, definitely not surprised about the bronies.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

VAE

Quote from: Alondro on July 02, 2012, 07:29:06 PM
  (Girls at a fan convention?!  What is this heresy?)

Now, would it be heresy if they'd appear in  Adeptus Sororitas uniforms?
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Gabi

Considering Charles met many of us at AnthroCon, I really wonder whether he thought about what he was saying at all. :P

In any case, there was a lot of Bronycon publicity at AC this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if many of the new attendants found out about it that way.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Alondro

Quote from: Damaris on July 02, 2012, 10:33:07 PM
Thanks, Alondro.

*is chopped liver at conventions, apparently*

*Charline de Lyon*  Mmmm.. chopped liver... >:9

I'm jokin about the 'no gurlz at cons'.  It's just that Bronycon had an unusually high number of girls for a gathering of geeks.  ;D

A response by a Navy Brony who accurately sums up the nature of bronies in general:

"Here's some things I learned from BronyCon:
- Bronies I just met won't drive off with my car when I leave it running.
- Bronies won't spend my $80 cash on their own things when I ask them to try and pick up a plushie for my sister.
- Bronies will give back those $80 when the plushies end up being sold out.
- Bronies don't need to pass around drugs and/or be hammered to party their ass off.
- Everybody is a friend.

I've never experienced anything like this in any other large social gathering I've been to. It's like everybody is your best friend there, and I think I can safely say:

Friendship really is magic! "

it was truly an incredible gathering!  And I got to hang out with John de Lancie, tara Striong, and Lauren Faust!  *uber fan squeaaal!*

Ignuus66

Why does that remind me of how my best friend describes christian gatherings? Does that mean *gasp* Religions are just big fanclubs of a book?

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Ignuus66 on July 04, 2012, 12:23:23 AM
Why does that remind me of how my best friend describes christian gatherings? Does that mean *gasp* Religions are just big fanclubs of a book?

...Actually, that would explain a whole friggin' lot. xP
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Alondro

Sports fans, on the other hand, are a bunch of brain-dead thugs looking for a reason to riot. 

>:3

Mao

Well, this is starting to sound interesting.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Alondro on July 06, 2012, 08:57:40 AM

Sports fans, on the other hand, are a bunch of brain-dead thugs looking for a reason to riot. 

>:3
well not all of them. Only the very loud ones. Also depends on the sport, I dont think swimming has such rabid fans  :P

Gabi

Sounds like a really nice place to be. :)
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly