27/04/2012 [DMFA #1303] - Chicken with head off mode activated

Started by Plotting, April 27, 2012, 04:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plotting

The one eared wolf is all ready an interesting character.

He does not like the lil shiferthings but he admits that one of them was harmless. A bit racist, but nothing compared to others; he at least can accept that not all Cubi are a threat. He also has an interest in Dan, who unknown to him, is one of the shiferthings he does not like.

And what was Alexsi thinking asking Pyroduck for colour advice? Interesting that he chose plaid; I would have though gold would have been more to his liking as a dragon.

Naldru

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Plotting

It would appear that I have been owned. Ah well! Can't be helped!

Sienna Maiu - M T

I sense romance is in the air~~ :heart

Quote from: Plotting on April 27, 2012, 04:13:47 AM
And what was Alexsi thinking asking Pyroduck for colour advice? Interesting that he chose plaid; I would have though gold would have been more to his liking as a dragon.
Well, naturally one of the colours of the plaid is a gold gilt.

Also, there's something to be said for too much of a good thing
. . .
And just why are we enforcing Dragon-stereotypes anyway? D:
   Avatar by me. Signature image made from a picture by shadows-play on dA (circa 2007-2008).      :deadhorse
my art thread

Plotting

Blackwolf359

If someone pushes you into the abyss...Jump and grab them so they can race you to the bottom :P

POODLE! That is all.

MT Hazard

So Cale (one ear) would like Dan on the team, although I expect more for his fathers side than his mothers side. I imagine he (Dan) will have to get used to the fact that, as the child of a famous adventurer and an evil powerful cubi, people will *mixed* reactions to him.

I can see him answering questions on family "Yes my dad was an adventurer, he's been missing for a while, my mother is a cubi of the pain clan she's been missing for a while as well, my half sister is part amazon and my grandmother glassed a city."
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

justacritic

That doesn't mean that they be slaves to PR what's the worse that can happen?

Plotting

Here is something I have wondered for a while: what exactly is Pyroducks secondary form based on? I mean, he is still a dragon, but he looks nothing like a dragon in his second form - save for the wings and tail tip.

Pyro also seems to have little trouble hiding the fact that he is a dragon - even Alexi was surprised to learn that he was a dragon to begin with. Dan you can understand, but Alexi?

I think he is supposed to resemble some sort of being. Emphasis on "think".

icarus

Quote from: Plotting on April 27, 2012, 09:14:37 AM
Here is something I have wondered for a while: what exactly is Pyroducks secondary form based on? I mean, he is still a dragon, but he looks nothing like a dragon in his second form - save for the wings and tail tip.

correct me if i'm wrong but i believe there aren't really any fossils or records that show us how dragons "really" look. if amber wants to make him a mammalian dragon, there's no dragon design police :P she can do what she wants.

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Ignuus66

Quote from: Plotting on April 27, 2012, 09:14:37 AM

He has a feline-based secondary form, if that is what you were asking

Also quite a large breaking of the fourth wall in the last panel.

(credit: Gabi)

Naldru

Quote from: justacritic on April 27, 2012, 08:59:03 AM
That doesn't mean that they be slaves to PR what's the worse that can happen?
"What's the worst that can happen" is mentioned in TV Tropes.

Never ask an engineer what's the worst that can happen.  You won't sleep for a week.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

joshofspam

You know, I'm not terribly to comfortable about what this old adventure has to say about some of his younger peers. If the quality and intelligence of adventurers are dropping, doesn't that mean the quality and reliability of theirs is dropping too?

At least we know that Ducky's taste in color scheme isn't lacking in quality. I love Plaid! :3
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Surzsha

Quote from: joshofspam on April 27, 2012, 12:51:36 PM
You know, I'm not terribly to comfortable about what this old adventure has to say about some of his younger peers. If the quality and intelligence of adventurers are dropping, doesn't that mean the quality and reliability of theirs is dropping too?

Honestly, am I the only one who isn't surprised by this kind of phenomena?

Then again I could picture myself surprise-shoving Wildy off of that fence in the first panel, so maybe I'm just insane at this point.

joshofspam

Quote from: Surzsha on April 27, 2012, 01:53:19 PM

Honestly, am I the only one who isn't surprised by this kind of phenomena?

Then again I could picture myself surprise-shoving Wildy off of that fence in the first panel, so maybe I'm just insane at this point.

Not surprised by the phenomena, as much as I'm concerned by what could happen if the quality drops too much.

After all, if they become easy to manipulate, doesn't that mean that dragons might be able to use them as witless stooges to hunt cubi if the dragon's really are going after cubi again?

Attic Rat

Well, it's pretty simple. The older you get in ANY field, the stupider the newbies look to you. That's because every year you spend doing something, adds more you know about it. The newbies aren't really stupider, you're just smarter.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

littlekreen

Same effect for younger smokers versus college age they look like five year olds smoking. I suppose it has a lot to do with social groups not tending to cross age/skill development barriers much.

psilorder

Quote from: MT Hazard on April 27, 2012, 08:45:03 AM
So Cale (one ear) would like Dan on the team, although I expect more for his fathers side than his mothers side. I imagine he (Dan) will have to get used to the fact that, as the child of a famous adventurer and an evil powerful cubi, people will *mixed* reactions to him.

I can see him answering questions on family "Yes my dad was an adventurer, he's been missing for a while, my mother is a cubi of the pain clan she's been missing for a while as well, my half sister is part amazon and my grandmother glassed a city."

Take a way some bits of that and it sort of sounds like a
"badass boast":

"my dad was an adventurer, my mother is a succubus of the pain clan, my sister is an amazon and my grandmother glassed a city."

Tho maybe he put more focus on himself;
"i'm a second generation adventurer, i grew up with an amazon as a big sister and i'm the grandson to the clanleader of the Pain cubi clan."

hmm, or does the adventuring go back further? has there been anything said about Dans other grandparents? Destanias dad and Edwards mom and dad?

Plotting

Quote from: icarus on April 27, 2012, 10:05:43 AM
correct me if i'm wrong but i believe there aren't really any fossils or records that show us how dragons "really" look. if amber wants to make him a mammalian dragon, there's no dragon design police :P she can do what she wants.

True! I was just wondering what kind of mammal Pyroduck was based on. The only thing I can tell by looking at him is he is a mammalian dragon.

I personally find the idea of blending the concepts of mammalian dragons and stereotypical dragons to be an interesting, perhaps even new slant on the concepts of dragons. It makes them original, while still being identifiable as being dragons.

Much like most of Ambers character designs and species concepts - a very new slant on things.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Plotting on April 27, 2012, 09:27:20 PM
Quote from: icarus on April 27, 2012, 10:05:43 AM

True! I was just wondering what kind of mammal Pyroduck was based on. The only thing I can tell by looking at him is he is a mammalian dragon.

I personally find the idea of blending the concepts of mammalian dragons and stereotypical dragons to be an interesting, perhaps even new slant on the concepts of dragons. It makes them original, while still being identifiable as being dragons.

Much like most of Ambers character designs and species concepts - a very new slant on things.
As I said, I think Pyroduck is a feline when he is in his mammalian form.

Amber Williams

I always imagine Pyroduck as some horrifying otter/bear/cat thingie. But really I dont have a particular species he's based on outside of "something mammal-like"

Anywho...

I wouldn't fret too hard on it.  It's more grumpy old man syndrome than any real lack of quality.  I'm sure Cale said the same thing when he was training Dan. :U

Quote from: MT Hazard on April 27, 2012, 08:45:03 AM

Truth be told, as far as Cale and likely all of the adventuring groups are concerned, Destiny Starr was a nice enough being who seemed to have some angel heritage in her but was an overall good gal. :3

There is probably a reason why Wildy simply said Dan was MIA rather than saying where and why Dan was MIA.

*skitters into the night*

Drakkenmensch

I'm smelling foreshadowing here.

Anyone else wondering why suddenly Alexsi and Pyroduck are working together to redecorate a room? Or is Fa'Lina soon going to have a reason to teleport in and wildly glomp her son and daughter-in-law?

Plotting

I take it that Destiny Starr is the name that Destania took after she gave birth to Dan. And if she was "an overall good gal" she must have really mellowed out after having kids. That or she is simply a monster who loves her family :P

Arcblade

Quote from: Plotting on April 28, 2012, 08:58:39 AM
I take it that Destiny Starr is the name that Destania took after she gave birth to Dan. And if she was "an overall good gal" she must have really mellowed out after having kids. That or she is simply a monster who loves her family :P

Yeah, pretty much.  I think Amber's said at one point that Destania's still not a "good guy," so I'd go with the latter.  Especially since she's still trying to genocide the dragons.  And y'know, since she's a skilled 'Cubi and all, deception isn't exactly hard. 

Tapewolf

Quote from: Arcblade on April 28, 2012, 11:41:55 AM
Yeah, pretty much.  I think Amber's said at one point that Destania's still not a "good guy," so I'd go with the latter.  Especially since she's still trying to genocide the dragons.  And y'know, since she's a skilled 'Cubi and all, deception isn't exactly hard. 

That would probably be the Cyra letter, right?

As for Destania trying to genocide the dragons... that's very, very murky waters given that they very nearly did genocide the 'Cubi race, and wiped out most of the larger clans, regardless of their attitude towards others.

Hence, it's very difficult to know whether the vendetta against Cyra clan and folks associated with them is because of a 7000-year-old grudge or because the dragons believe Destania is destined to wipe them off Furrae and this is some desperate attempt to prevent it.

Contrariwise we don't know if Destania is doing what she's doing out of revenge and malice or because she believes it's the only way to stop them massacring what remains of their race.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ignuus66

I'd think Destinia has gone from "Chaotic Evil" to either Lawful evil, or True neutral (probably more lawful evil if ya ask me)   :B

Arcblade

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 28, 2012, 02:50:42 PM
As for Destania trying to genocide the dragons... that's very, very murky waters given that they very nearly did genocide the 'Cubi race, and wiped out most of the larger clans, regardless of their attitude towards others.

Hence, it's very difficult to know whether the vendetta against Cyra clan and folks associated with them is because of a 7000-year-old grudge or because the dragons believe Destania is destined to wipe them off Furrae and this is some desperate attempt to prevent it.

Contrariwise we don't know if Destania is doing what she's doing out of revenge and malice or because she believes it's the only way to stop them massacring what remains of their race.

Murky it may be, and perhaps even the intentions are understandable.  But genocide is an inherently evil act, I think.  No matter how you justify it.  You could give Dee the benefit of the doubt and hope she's trying to do an evil thing for a good reason (or three). 

Regardless, I'll look forward to finding out exactly what the circumstances of the Dragon-Cubi war were, and the various motivations of the big players now.  Including the lovely and deviously plotting Destania. 

Ignuus66

Quote from: Arcblade on April 29, 2012, 03:48:33 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on April 28, 2012, 02:50:42 PM

Murky it may be, and perhaps even the intentions are understandable.  But genocide is an inherently evil act, I think.  No matter how you justify it.  You could give Dee the benefit of the doubt and hope she's trying to do an evil thing for a good reason (or three). 

Regardless, I'll look forward to finding out exactly what the circumstances of the Dragon-Cubi war were, and the various motivations of the big players now.  Including the lovely and deviously plotting Destania. 
It was also speculated in an early-er thread, that destinia isn't planning complete genocide (which would be nigh impossible, even for a tri wing) of the Dragons, but trapping them in thier rumored Dimension (It's in the Demo. 101 that dragons are rumored to have made a sub-dimension when they heard about the Fae ones.

If this is true, this can easily be justified as revenge, and not a evil act.

However, as you and others have said, if she plans complete GENOCIDE of the dragon race (which I'd imagine few people, possibly even 'Cubi would  be a fan of.)  that would be evil (there are many innocent dragons, Pyroduck for example.) Not to mention nigh impossible even with Cyra's help, considering that Dragons are far more powerful than normal cubi, (though not AS powerful as clan leaders, though they come close)

joshofspam

The thing I like to chuckle about how powerful dragons are is, that despite being as powerful as a Fey, they sound just as mortal as any other being or creature besides the Fey.

It must totally gall some of them to have a race that has one upped them and any other race that makes the attempted to match them.

When you consider cubi start out no better then a being and ascend to a height of power when they can quite literally go toe to toe with a dragon, I can't help but feel that some dragons might feel slighted by the cubi's existence.

Edit: Even that being said, it's rather surprising that before the war Fa'lina and Ducky's dad were friends at one time. As well as Ducky's one time meeting with dad showed he certainly could hold a grudge to make him suspect of this. I wonder if he had any regrets about taking all of Fa'lina's clan?