01/27/2012 [DMFA #1280] When in death ground, flip the board over.

Started by VAE, January 27, 2012, 01:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAE

Jyrras makes an awesome Gendo Ikari impression in the first panel.

As an aside.
The only likely reason why a cubi hasn't infiltrated and won a chess tournament using mindreading is that the games last far too long for their attention span.

What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Lorien077

Its okay Amber, the frumpy faces always make me giggle too.  Though with this strip more so than usual, due to the expression on Jyrras's face.  XD

Nicely done and glad you're feeling less death-y.  :)
You have my permission not to love me; I am a cathedral of deadbolts and I'd rather burn myself down than change the locks.

My scribbles: http://lorien077.deviantart.com/

RandomMetaphysics

joshofspam

I here that Gumdrop mountain is very nice this year and the Licorice castle is very trendy for children this time of year in Candyland.

Though I gather Abel never was much for birthday parties after his father's actions and his mothers death. Though I take it that gifts from Jyrras can be from the practical to the practically insane. Remember Wildy's gift and his idea of a baby shower gift for his mom and you get a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Jairus

Jyrras does the Scary Shiny Glasses Gendo pose very well. If he ever goes bad, he will at least look good doing it.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

llearch n'n'daCorna

I see Abel has entered the realm of flip table.

... love the silly smirk on Jyrras' face in the last panel.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Drakkenmensch

The Gendo Ikari is my standard pose at work when I'm not actively typing or clicking.  It helps me cultivate an intimidating aura.

MU HA HA HA *coughcoughchoke*

Mao

When I had heard there would be flipping action in this comic I was hoping for a table, I have to admit.  Upon seeing this, though?  I am not disappointed.

Arcblade

Ignuus66

(credit: Gabi)

icarus

if only most checkers players were as gracious at losing as abel...

but who won the chess game from the last page? :O

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Rex_sun

Oh my god, this comic is the funniest thing ever. If usually DMFA makes me smile, this one makes me laugh out loud.

"Some men want to watch the world burn. Some men want to flip the checkers table."

Go go go, Jyrras! Keep pushing! You're almost there, I can feel it!

Grey Wolf

This comic is amazing in so many ways. Bravo, Amber! Glad you're feeling better, too C:
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Ross

I was hearing ominous music in my head right up until "What do you want for your birthday?"  Then I couldn't see the rest for a little while from laughing too hard.  Abel's 'flip the board' reaction was perfect!

It's been a while since I've seen a Candyland board, but I do remember it having four little plastic people.  Might not be an instant choking hazard, but if Jyrras keeps it up, I bet Abel will get... creative...    :mwaha

kztxl7

Remind me of when I recently lost to my father at Chutes and Ladders.

I flipped the board.

Twice.

Prroul

Ahh, poor Abel. Soon, you will know the frustration of being stuck in the Molasses Swamp

Chakat Blackspots

Sore looser much?  I understand the reason for Abel to be such an angry grump.  I doubt he would be a rather tolerable person to be around for others.

Akisohida

I still think Abel is a grump because he thinks he is a monster, people should not get close, blah, blah. He grumps MORE because..people are getting close.

That said, I don't think he is as grumpy as he is acting. He likes Jy. :)
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Daniel Boomhauer on January 27, 2012, 04:52:57 PM
Sore looser much?  I understand the reason for Abel to be such an angry grump.  I doubt he would be a rather tolerable person to be around for others.

Maybe I was overthinking it at the time, but my first thought on seeing this page was that the situation on the draughts board was eerily similar to his own position in life, (probably) last of the clan, etc.  If so, someone like Abel is not going to take it gracefully and the birthday thing was the last straw.

(His intended birthday present involved murdering his Dad, IIRC)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Arcblade

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 27, 2012, 05:05:44 PM
Sore looser much?  I understand the reason for Abel to be such an angry grump.  I doubt he would be a rather tolerable person to be around for others.

Maybe I was overthinking it at the time, but my first thought on seeing this page was that the situation on the draughts board was eerily similar to his own position in life, (probably) last of the clan, etc.  If so, someone like Abel is not going to take it gracefully and the birthday thing was the last straw.

Why yes, that's correct!

I dunno if Abel's thinking that hard about it, though.  I'd bet on irritation because he's losing the game (/you just lost The Game) plus Jyrras' being all stubborn about celebrating his birthday. 

Besides, Abel might not've been the first such child Aniz sired... though come to think of it, he probably was. 

justacritic

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 27, 2012, 05:05:44 PM

What might be hilarious was if this becomes foreshadowing in the future, and even funnier if Abel's actions end up flipping the board of whatever he is stuck in 

VAE

What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

llearch n'n'daCorna

Sore looser much?  I understand the reason for Abel to be such an angry grump.  I doubt he would be a rather tolerable person to be around for others.
I don't believe it's the losing that is making him flip table on Jyrras. And the smile on Jyrras face shows he knows it, too.

Bear in mind that Jyrras has just beaten Abel in at least two, and probably many more, rounds of chess, and then utterly devastated him at checkers (as evidenced by the nine (!) pieces he still had on the board, to Abels' last man standing; for those of you who don't realise, that means Jy-Jy lost only three pieces for the other eleven of Abels') as well. That's enough losing in a row to make it reasonable for Abel to be mildly grumpy about it all. I don't think he is, though.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Drakkenmensch

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 27, 2012, 06:43:44 PM
I don't believe it's the losing that is making him flip table on Jyrras. And the smile on Jyrras face shows he knows it, too.

Bear in mind that Jyrras has just beaten Abel in at least two, and probably many more, rounds of chess, and then utterly devastated him at checkers (as evidenced by the nine (!) pieces he still had on the board, to Abels' last man standing; for those of you who don't realise, that means Jy-Jy lost only three pieces for the other eleven of Abels') as well. That's enough losing in a row to make it reasonable for Abel to be mildly grumpy about it all. I don't think he is, though.

Did anyone else also get the mental image of a long string of Abel defeats at Go, Clue, Monopoly, Battleship, Jenga, Kerplunk, Hungry Hungry Hippos and so on, a la Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey?

Mao

justacritic

And the final straw will be tic-tac-toe, Abel won't be able to even tie lol

BirdmanGA

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ <--- Problably best way to put Able's mood right now.

On a lighter note, I kinda am trying to remember, are the pieces supposed to be on the red spaces or black spaces?

Ignuus66

Hehe I would ragequit if I lost so many games in a row ( I rarely do so, I'm a very good chess/checker player)

(credit: Gabi)

Drakkenmensch

Quote from: justacritic on January 27, 2012, 09:29:04 PM
And the final straw will be tic-tac-toe, Abel won't be able to even tie lol

*Abel swats the sheet of paper off the table, failing to be dramatic about it*

Abel: "Another one!"

Jyrras: "We've already played everything else, you even lost at rock-paper-scissors and a coin toss."

Abel: "Fine! Pick a number!" *dramatic shadow looms over Abel* "Any number."

Jyrras: "Five."

Abel: "DAMMIT!!!"

Attic Rat

I like Jyrras, but I don't think I'd enjoy his teaching me how to play board games.

I knew a guy like that, and so I can identify with Abel here. The only way to avoid losing is to not play, which is the wrong lesson to learn, but it is what usually comes to mind when you keep losing.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?