[CVRPG News] - The Annual Website Redesign

Started by Darkmoon, December 28, 2011, 02:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmoon

Now, by this point most of you must have realized I'm quite the website perfectionist, and even when I'm happy with a layout, I eventually notice there are things that can be changed, or rearranged, and I wonder if the systems I have in place are the way other people use the site. So I'm curious...

How do you use CVRPG? Do you often troll through the archives, and if you do, which ways do you do it? Do you care about plotline tracking, or do you usually just hit the chapters index? Do the chapters even matter to you? Do you care about the past archives or do you just troll around through the recent strips (backwards) to find the comics you missed and read from there (or read backwards? I know some people do that on comic sites).

Do you read the rest of the articles on the site? Are they organized a way that makes sense to you, or do you think there could be a better way? How? Why?

Are there any features missing from the site? Is there anything you'd like added to? Are there features of the site right now that you think could just go away? Do you care about the news (for instance)?

Throw your ideas at me. I'm really thinking of refreshing a lot of the site (although I'll probably leave the colors mostly intact, since I don't want to freak everyone out too much). I need ideas, I need comments. Give me input.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

bradypodidae

I always go to "show unread posts since last visit" first. I check any that interest me, clear the rest. Then I usually just lurk on the "whose online" section.

I rarely troll through the archives unless I want to check my facts before posting a reply to something I think I might have an intelligent comment to add.

Plot line tracking is useful when I have missed a week or more of updates. I try to go to the last comic read and work forwards.

I have never had a complaint about the site's design. I know too little about such things to give intelligent input. When you refresh or change things I adapt to it and continue on. I am not sure if this assists you and I hope those more familiar with websites and designs weigh in on this.

For what it's worth I enjoy the Mansion and appreciate all the effort and care you take in it. Thank you.
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Darkmoon

Since you use the plotlines, do you use the page tracking them, or do you just follow the plotlines from the individual comic pages, and the archive of them is kinda useless?

Sprocketsdance

Here's my little tidbit with plotlines: I like the page but if you want to go strictly with using the links at the bottom of the comic to navigate, as long as there is the option of going back to the first comic of that plotline then I could see getting rid of the archive for it.

oh, I like seeing the news too >.>

joshofspam

For me, the archiving worked really well at keeping my spot in the comic for me to come back to it.

To zero in on the page by first going to plot line page and then going to the page of listed individual pages. It really helps out saving time to continue the story.

I was a little surprised when the cast page changed though. Not really complaining about that, but it did give us a more detailed look of what the characters looked like outside of the standard 8-bit way their normally showed in comic.

*Shrugs*It all works for me at this point. I think its nice little site design as it stands right now. I certainly couldn't do better..
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Darkmoon

I'm working on getting some drawings put together for the bios, actually. I just wanted to get the bios ready first (which admittedly I've failed at and will be focusing on after the start of the year) before I put the artwork down.

Zen

Sorry, I'm Late? Well I pretty much use the archives to find the comics I need, the pics near the names are a great help and I also use the section by plot.

I also enjoy the bonus section on the site like "Angels guide to the universe" and the sprite  Archives, maybe you could update "The Many Places We Have Traveled" section after the characters bios, or make a new section for the "Angel guide to the universe".

Other them that the site layout is almost perfect.

Darkmoon

I will be updating the "Many Places" article in a little bit, actually. They finally have some new locations (what with a couple of the towns from CVRPG III and Raye's base of operations for a short stint). Game IV is giving us a few new places too...

If I miss anything, please let me know.

And thanks for the input.