11/20/2011 [TDA #16] - No but I have done a #2

Started by justacritic, November 22, 2011, 09:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justacritic

The more I see of angels, the more I'm amazed they are able to PR out of just about anything.
Yeesh, I now think it's a good thing that the number of angels are decreasing, if there were more of these little manipulative creatures, havoc will be an understatement of what the world would be like.

joshofspam

Well to be fair about things, if you consider the life of a highwayman, the act of robbing and killing is a standard thing a person on the roads had to fear in the old days.

When you consider that, letting them go to possibly kill someone else almost makes letting them go seem just as daunting as simply killing them straight out.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on November 22, 2011, 01:51:57 PM
Well to be fair about things, if you consider the life of a highwayman, the act of robbing and killing is a standard thing a person on the roads had to fear in the old days.
When you consider that, letting them go to possibly kill someone else almost makes letting them go seem just as daunting as simply killing them straight out.

Also, they are outlaws, i.e. outside the protection of the law.  So simply put, Zivan isn't exactly showing his Angel side here - this is a typical adventurer attitude.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

justacritic

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 22, 2011, 03:08:09 PM

Also, they are outlaws, i.e. outside the protection of the law.  So simply put, Zivan isn't exactly showing his Angel side here - this is a typical adventurer attitude.

Sorry then, I think it was the typical adventurer attitude I was taking askance about. It's just the way Zivan saying in the way he had done kinda riles me up.

Surzsha

Quote from: justacritic on November 22, 2011, 05:02:47 PM
It's just the way Zivan saying in the way he had done kinda riles me up.

I guess I'm alone on this, but Jakob's pity is what's getting me a bit aggravated. Not angry, just a little bothered. It's not that I'm against grieving, as death can give a hard blow to one's emotions, but we can't grieve for everyone, especially when it was the same people who tried to rob you, earlier.

AmigaDragon

"Taking the piss"? Is this a regional variance? I've always heard it "taking a piss".
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on November 23, 2011, 10:04:55 AM
"Taking the piss"? Is this a regional variance? I've always heard it "taking a piss".

No, it's a euphemism.  But most people should be able to work out what he means from the context.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

Quote from: AmigaDragon on November 23, 2011, 10:04:55 AM
I'd heard the former, but not the latter.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Inumo

Er, two different meanings. "Taking a piss" means using the restrooms. "Taking the piss" means getting blamed for something you didn't do.

VAE

Quote from: Inumo on November 23, 2011, 08:29:49 PM
Er, two different meanings. "Taking a piss" means using the restrooms. "Taking the piss" means getting blamed for something you didn't do.

Didn't "you're taking the piss" mean the same as "you're shitting me"
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Inumo

Not as I always understood it, though now that you mention it I am wrong. "Taking the piss" is just taking the blame, whether it's something like, "Where were you an hour ago? I just got out of the boss's office and took the piss for last night, no thanks to you and your actions," or, "Alright, fine, I'll help, but if we get caught, you're taking the piss."

llearch n'n'daCorna

That's not the usual way I'd read it, Inumo. To me, it's always meant "you're joking".

Taking the piss, extracting the urine, pulling my leg, got to be kidding, you're not serious are you, etc. All variations along the same lines.

Taking the blame for something is a different set of euphemisms...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Inumo

Huh, checked on Wikipedia and it said the same thing. Guess my understanding of English isn't as clear as I thought it would be, considering. :P

justacritic

Quote from: Inumo on November 24, 2011, 02:43:09 AM
Huh, checked on Wikipedia and it said the same thing. Guess my understanding of English isn't as clear as I thought it would be, considering. :P
There's english, english, inglesh, and whole lot of other variations, this being said, it's one of the more confusing languages...