New Conan

Started by Kipiru, November 09, 2011, 02:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipiru

I just saw the new Conan movie and frankly think it wasn't all that bad. Sure the story is cliché, but not so that it becomes frustrating. The leading actors, though not going to win any awards for acting, were spot on for the roles and the effects and action scenes, without being too elaborate, were satisfying and fun to see. I have only read a few of Howard's books, but the tone of the movie seemed up to par with them. All and all a good adventure flick.

P.S: The movie was shot in Bulgaria, so I may be a bit biased here  8)

Tapewolf

I like the original film a lot and am scared to watch this one.  Unusually though, I've never read the books.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kipiru

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 09, 2011, 01:31:10 PM
I like the original film a lot and am scared to watch this one.  Unusually though, I've never read the books.

I see, the fact you are referring to the Arnold movie as "the original" is evidence of that  :) People should try and beat that perspective- this is not a remake, but another attempt at bringing the character of Conan to the big screen.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kipiru on November 09, 2011, 02:15:03 PM
I see, the fact you are referring to the Arnold movie as "the original" is evidence of that

That's not quite fair: I very carefully said "The original film" to avoid implying that it predates the stories.  I'm not honestly sure how else you'd clarify that statement, since there was more than one "Arnold movie" ;-)

QuotePeople should try and beat that perspective- this is not a remake, but another attempt at bringing the character of Conan to the big screen.
Noted.  That being the case, I might give it a shot.  I'm not sure it's still on general release, though.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kipiru

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 09, 2011, 02:34:21 PM
Quote from: Kipiru on November 09, 2011, 02:15:03 PM
I see, the fact you are referring to the Arnold movie as "the original" is evidence of that

That's not quite fair: I very carefully said "The original film" to avoid implying that it predates the stories.  I'm not honestly sure how else you'd clarify that statement, since there was more than one "Arnold movie" ;-)

I guess I misunderstood that- my point was that most people take the Arnold movies as reference instead of the books and that makes it hard to evaluate the new one on its own merits or faults.