10/28/2011 [DMFA #1258] - Meet the Quill

Started by RandomMetaphysics, October 28, 2011, 12:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandomMetaphysics

Oh man... that last panel.
Amber, I applaud you!

It makes sense that a member of clan Taun is the department head.

On another note, we now have our Demoman Demonwoman!

Attic Rat

The thing Dan should say if he wants his battle instructor to pay attention:
"Can you train me well enough to get into her classroom?"

:mwaha
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

lilpuppy23

It's interesting, the second I saw Quill, I thought of Taun. Consequently, I immediately thought Quill was female.

Only AFTER I read Dan's comments did I think Quill was male.

Then again, I distinguish gender in the comic based on the corner of each character's eye. Rounded? Male. Pointed? Female. I think the point is the longer eyelash some women have.

NOTE: The above is based solely upon my personal observations of Amber's drawing style and do not in any way reflect my actual personal beliefs in terms of distinguishing gender. I know Guys with long eyelashes and girls with NO eyelashes IRL.

llearch n'n'daCorna

The eyepatch is an interesting touch. Since there's healing that can re-attach wings (cf Abel and Aaryanna) you'd think that the healers can fix broken eyes as well, unless it's seriously messed up.

Which makes me wonder about _that_ backstory as well...

... Any chances of that showing up as the result of a wallpaper war, Ambaargh? ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Mink seems to be running away.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Wanderer

Taun's clan. Dan, make a note: if you ever think you're ready to enter his class... you're wrong.

MT Hazard

I wonder if any of the fighting teachers have any issues with clan Cyra

Dan: Hi! I'm thinking of taking your class!
Quill: You don't look like a fighter, what clan are you from?
Dan: Cyra
Quill: *Insert your own response here*

I'm going with 'goes slightly pale but keeps composure.'

What does everybody else think?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Wurgel

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 28, 2011, 03:32:32 AM
Mink seems to be running away.

i would more say, he is still following.

Frame 1: he is following and going to pass the the Portal, that Dan has passed.
Frame 2: he is passing that Portal from the inside of the training-room, so he is still behind Dan

QuoteInsert Quote
Then again, I distinguish gender in the comic based on the corner of each character's eye. Rounded? Male. Pointed? Female. I think the point is the longer eyelash some women have.

OK, new mission:
Check thesis
If correct, apply to Mink (or was his gender confirmed and i didn't found it?)

Turnsky

hopefully Dan's training sessions will be gentle on the decor. >.>

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 28, 2011, 03:27:02 AM
The eyepatch is an interesting touch. Since there's healing that can re-attach wings (cf Abel and Aaryanna) you'd think that the healers can fix broken eyes as well, unless it's seriously messed up.

... Any chances of that showing up as the result of a wallpaper war, Ambaargh? ;-]

Maybe she's just trying to preserve night vision in case the lights suddenly go off; I could see that happening in a combat training situation.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

justacritic

Mink's eyes are more of a square though...

Alondro

Quill = Cubi-muscle chick = No need to be seductive when stealing Being souls.

Quill:  I'M EATING YOUR SOUL AND YER GONNA SHUT UP AND LIKE IT!

Being:  Meep!  Ok!  Just don't hurt me!  *as soul is being eaten*  Wait a minute... ack... X_x
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

joshofspam

Being of the clan of avengers and sworn protectors of the cubi race, I could see her being surprisingly neutral in personality to Dan until she got a feel for what Dan is really like.

Though that could go the other way and Taun's might be a little conflicted by their sworn duty and how they feel about a clan that started the dragon way in their eyes.

I wonder if it's a common trait for a Taun to be big? Not just muscle, she's so tall! :blink
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Infranscia

Yeeeaaah!  Go clan Taun!  Show 'em what we're made of when they take one glance!

Quill appears to be some kind of giraffe variant.  Which seems kind of interesting considering the nature of real giraffes, though it's already been established that the carnivore/herbivore-animal thing doesn't mean much in DMFA (mentioned here).

That one lizard in the second panel also seems to be practicing the 'taunt your opponent so they get enraged' strategy. X3
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Prroul

Quote from: MT Hazard on October 28, 2011, 06:01:10 AM
I wonder if any of the fighting teachers have any issues with clan Cyra

Dan: Hi! I'm thinking of taking your class!
Quill: You don't look like a fighter, what clan are you from?
Dan: Cyra
Quill: *Insert your own response here*

I'm going with 'goes slightly pale but keeps composure.'

What does everybody else think?

I'll go with:

"Oh? Good." *whistles, wall o' beef walks up, you can't see the head because Dan's eye level is about on par with the muscled chest* "Brick? Check out the newbie. See if he's worth anything. Don't do anything that will piss off Fa'Lina, other than that... let's see if Cyra's rep is worth it."

One more thing...

Okay, that's only 3/5 trainers found... and one of 'em happens to be the Head Bi... er Sensei. So the other two combat trainers? I'mma gonna go out on a limb and say they probably aren't teaching physical combat. Which means at least one devoted to magical combat techniques. After all, emotion-jamming an opponent can be an easy way to throw them off balance.

iceick

I looked at the Demo 101 page and from the looks of it, Quill isn't just from clan Taun, but is actually Taun's daughter.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Prroul on October 28, 2011, 12:39:56 PM
Okay, that's only 3/5 trainers found... and one of 'em happens to be the Head Bi... er Sensei. So the other two combat trainers? I'mma gonna go out on a limb and say they probably aren't teaching physical combat. Which means at least one devoted to magical combat techniques. After all, emotion-jamming an opponent can be an easy way to throw them off balance.

That only works with empaths, though.  'Cubi are pretty scarce in the world as a whole, as I understand it.  It wouldn't surprise me if magical combat was only touched on here, and dealt with properly in the magic-oriented classes,  but I guess we'll see.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sunblink

Androgynous battle teachers?

So very relevant to my interests. >:D

thegayhare

is it just me or does Brady seem to be hinting that he knows this from more then just a combat perspective...  *wink wink nudge nudge*

could be magical damage, or a powerful curse.

or hell it could even be something that keeps her power levels down (like the demon that captain in bleach wears) so she doesn't accidentally put her students in traction.  When she puts the in intensive care she'd want them to know it was on purpose

Mao

Quote from: thegayhare on October 28, 2011, 03:14:24 PM
is it just me or does the Mole seem to be hinting that he knows this from more then just a combat perspective...  *wink wink nudge nudge*

If by mole-thing you mean Brady (the first combat instructor), he's actually a sloth. :3

Anri

thegayhare

Sorry corrected, couldn't remember his name

Alondro

Duh!  It's obviously where her Hollow hole is!  Like Nnoitora's .  It's so obvious!   :giggle
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

joshofspam

I wonder if Quill will get in one of those crushing hand shakes before they part ways? :3
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Amber Williams

For those who may be confuzzled, a handy dandy guide by me.

Battle Professors:

Basic level:
Brady:  Male being (sloth) who is a retired Adventurer.  Specializes in self defense and weaponry.
Artemis: Female Cubi (horse, yet to be seen).  Specializes in self defense using ones Cubi abilities.

Advanced level:
????-  Female Cubi (brown bird).  Specializes in using ones Cubi abilities to launch an assault.
????-  Male demon (yet to be seen)  Specializes in battle techniques and tactics
These two are married.

Expert level:
Quill - Female Cubi (Giraffe with fox markings).  Retired adventurer, member of Taun's clan. Besides teaching she also oversees the entire department and acts as an adviser/counselor to students.

Zen

Wait a sec how many Androgynous characters we have now?

McKathlin

Quote from: joshofspam on October 28, 2011, 11:49:28 AM
I wonder if it's a common trait for a Taun to be big? Not just muscle, she's so tall! :blink

The tallness might come with being a giraffe.  But the muscle is pure Taun; I've never seen a giraffe that buff.

BTW, congrats to Amber on the consistent Monday-Friday updates of late.  As someone working on getting-things-done myself, I bet that feels good.

:goamber
"My wisdom is slightly higher than my stupidity." ~Lawenia

Naldru

Quote from: Wanderer on October 28, 2011, 03:39:18 AM
Taun's clan. Dan, make a note: if you ever think you're ready to enter his class... you're wrong.
You don't have to be in the same category as the teacher to take their course.  Bob Barker (the host of the TV show The Price is Right) took lessons from Chuck Norris, and I don't think that anyone would argue that Chuck Norris and Bob Barker fit in the same category.

With regard to the eye patch, my first thought was of Prince Corum from the Swords Trilogy (Michael Moorcock).  When he lifts his eyepatch, people are usually going to die.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Naldru on October 28, 2011, 06:13:18 PM
Quote from: Wanderer on October 28, 2011, 03:39:18 AM
You don't have to be in the same category as the teacher to take their course.  Bob Barker (the host of the TV show The Price is Right) took lessons from Chuck Norris, and I don't think that anyone would argue that Chuck Norris and Bob Barker fit in the same category.

With regard to the eye patch, my first thought was of Prince Corum from the Swords Trilogy (Michael Moorcock).  When he lifts his eyepatch, people are usually going to die.

She doesn't have the matching hand though. Shame on you :P
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

MT Hazard

Check the hips Dan! Won't want to the one who called her 'Sir' by accident.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic)