10/20/2011 [DMFA #1256] - Battle Professor!

Started by Ghostwish, October 20, 2011, 11:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghostwish

HA. No one guessed it! And we get to see Keaton make an appearance! :>

Jasonrevall

Hey I know that sloth, it's Brady! :D Haha, good ol Brady showin Dan how it's done. He would make a great professor with all the notes he takes XD
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Netrogo

Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Attic Rat

Never boast to your instructor. Live it, learn it, love it...
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

techmaster-glitch

WHOA! Hey there, Proliator Bradypodidae! And a Keaton, too!

So many awesome cameos recently!

thegayhare

Ohhhh lucky amber... I wanna see evil dead the musical so badly

Sunblink

It's about 12:37 right now and I nearly woke up everyone in the house with the sound of UNADULTERATED GLEE I just made

OH MY GOD FAHWD AMBERRRRR ;_; You brilliant human being there is no amount of keyboard mash in the world to communicate my fangirly ADORATION

HOW DO I EVEN.

Thank you so muuuuuuch. Brady is going to FLIP when he sees his role!

tiggertoo

Heh, I have a strong feeling that Dan only thinks he got his butt kicked that time -- those learning curves can be real slippery - and there's a hard bounce at the bottom.  :erk

joshofspam

Keaton looking non-plussed and Proliator Bradypodidae showing that even Beings have something to teach the cubi.

Way to nail home that the Faculty is a mix of the different races, Amber.

Of course, it makes sense that the teacher might have been holding back too. He's their to teach after all, I bet he's been waiting for a challenge. >:3
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

iceick

Can someone post a link where I can see who Brady is? I'm unfamiliar with that character.

Tapewolf

Cool.  Very cool, especially the Keaton cameo.  Congratulations to Brady as well.

Quote from: joshofspam on October 21, 2011, 01:05:23 AM
Keaton looking non-plussed and Proliator Bradypodidae showing that even Beings have something to teach the cubi.
Way to nail home that the Faculty is a mix of the different races, Amber.

Indeed.  It makes sense that it would be that way, since if one of the top people in the field is not a 'Cubi you would still want to have them teach if they are willing to do so.  I'm rather pleased to see it actually is the case.

EDIT: As for Keaton, if she follows her character closely, she was taught from an early age that Beings were a mistake made by the Gods and that it was their clan's sacred task to exterminate them.  By this point the indoctrination would be wearing very thin, but all the same seeing a Being whup a 'Cubi's ass wouldn't sit well with her :3

Quote from: iceick on October 21, 2011, 01:40:25 AM
Can someone post a link where I can see who Brady is? I'm unfamiliar with that character.

There isn't, really.  AFAIK Brady is the guy's avatar.  There are a few drawings of him but I think this is the first time he's been in a comic as such.

In a way it's kind of sad sloths have normal Being reactions in DMFA.  I wanted to see what a sloth Angel was like, figuring that the Angel turbo-boost and fact that a sloth is virtually immobile would cancel each other out...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Anri

Blar, stupid stupid brain. I thought at first Brady was a mole (I AM OBSERVANT!) but now that I'm reading he's a sloth I keep getting Goonies stuck in my head!

HEEEEY YOOOOU GUUUUUYS!

MT Hazard

I imagine Dan is going to have to get used the fact he now has more power but less control.

While he probably won't be 'overly emotional and crap at fighting'  (more than once anyway) it will be a while before he can successfully combine cubi and adventurer fighting styles.

Also is the "1/5 battle professors found" comment a reference to something?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Mao

Oooh, cameo.  Very awesome.  Two of my favorite people up there today. :D

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on October 21, 2011, 06:30:54 AM
While he probably won't be 'overly emotional and crap at fighting'  (more than once anyway) it will be a while before he can successfully combine cubi and adventurer fighting styles.

Yeah, Dan doesn't appear to have had a sword here.  It would have been interesting to see how he'd have held up then, like his sparring with Wildy earlier on.

QuoteAlso is the "1/5 battle professors found" comment a reference to something?
No, I think it just means that there are 5 professors in the combat faculty.

thegayhare

judging by the dialog I think the sword Brady has was Dan's and he took it away in combat

Tapewolf

Quote from: thegayhare on October 21, 2011, 08:20:06 AM
judging by the dialog I think the sword Brady has was Dan's and he took it away in combat

It's the same colour hilt as Brady's clothing so I suspect it's his.  Dan would have been taught a whole bunch of things to do when attacked by another swordsman and your own sword isn't handy.  Brady would recognise them and I figured that's what he was saying.

VAE

Hmm, IIRC in keaton's background ,she was offed from SAIA after injuring or killing another cubi.
I wonder if it'll come up in DMFA sometime.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Tapewolf

Quote from: VAE on October 21, 2011, 09:08:04 AM
Hmm, IIRC in keaton's background ,she was offed from SAIA after injuring or killing another cubi.

I'm not sure Amber's following it quite that closely.  It was an injury if I recall right, though.  Fa'Lina tends to prevent outright murder.

[Quietly retcons Keaton's cast page on PF]

Sunblink

I actually changed that because given the nature of Fa'Lina's abilities, I don't think it would be feasible for something like that to happen. That little detail was written before the whole omniscience thing came to light. Instead she left on her own accord because she thought that Fa'Lina was withholding information about Jyraneth Clan survivors/basically Keaton's just extremely paranoid.

Also since a lot of Keaton's history does contradict DMFA canon, I don't think Amber will really delve into that.

Since a lot of people are probably checking her DMFA Wiki page to brush up on her pretty cliche I wrote it when I was 15 backstory, I'll need to edit the page.

VAE

Quote from: Sunblink on October 21, 2011, 09:30:22 AM

I actually changed that because given the nature of Fa'Lina's abilities, I don't think it would be feasible for something like that to happen. That little detail was written before the whole omniscience thing came to light. Instead she left on her own accord because she thought that Fa'Lina was withholding information about Jyraneth Clan survivors/basically Keaton's just extremely paranoid.

Also since a lot of Keaton's history does contradict DMFA canon, I don't think Amber will really delve into that.

Since a lot of people are probably checking her DMFA Wiki page to brush up on her pretty cliche I wrote it when I was 15 backstory, I'll need to edit the page.

Hmm, that explains it. I get most of her history from Future History, see.  Though, the interpretation that Fa'lina let a murder to happen because it was somehow expedient in the great scheme of things would be amusing.

As an aside, OMGWTFBBQ at awesome avatar. Is it about to throw a hyperbeam?

What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Sunblink

Quote from: VAE on October 21, 2011, 03:56:43 PMHmm, that explains it. I get most of her history from Future History, see.  Though, the interpretation that Fa'lina let a murder to happen because it was somehow expedient in the great scheme of things would be amusing.

Amusing or horrendously OOC, which is why I didn't really want to experiment with the limits of Amber's characters :B

QuoteAs an aside, OMGWTFBBQ at awesome avatar. Is it about to throw a hyperbeam?

Hahaha, thanks! 8D

I wouldn't say a hyperbeam, more like she's about to try to jab a needle into your eye. (OR IS SHE?)

Amber Williams

First off, I'm glad both Sunblink and Brady are happy with showing up in mah universe...and aren't going to sue me. :U

That said, it's time for the obligatory "characters that show up in DMFA as cameos are usually subjected to a minor world-buffering filter so their subsequent backstories may not actually line up with DMFA canon.  Their existence in DMFA via cameos does not necessarily mean their stories are now canonized.  It can sometimes be better to think of them as actors on a stage." /obligatory disclaimer.

I admit I was only somewhat aware of Keaton's backstory in that I knew her character was not necessarily a nice individual. But that was about the extent of it.   And I didnt want to do too much that would somehow cause extra cracks in her characters story.  Same with Brady and Tapewolf.  And prolly the same for other characters who will show up. Cause yeah, its a big school and I'm a lazy butt who likely isn't going to want to design every single student all the time. :U

Chakat Blackspots

Even though it was explained by Tapewolf, I do find Keaton's look, I suppose an unimpressed look, rather humorous.

bradypodidae

Quote from: Sunblink on October 21, 2011, 12:37:56 AMBrady is going to FLIP when he sees his role!

Once I could actually believe and comprehend what I was seeing I think "flip" is an accurate description. An absolute wondrous and complete surprise. Thank you, Ms. Williams.

Ms. Williams is correct. The character Brady is an actor. He has no true history or background and is really just an avatar. He has made a cameo in Lis Borris' comic "Broken Plot Device" link as a sloth plush won at a carnival that has a slight gas problem. That amuses me greatly! He is also scheduled to appear Raiettei's comic "Got The Point?" as a school janitor. The point is this; these artist have complete control of the character Brady in their universe. Those Bradys adhere to their canon, their rules, and their plots. Brady does and is whatever the artist needs. And I am completely okay with this, in fact, I encourage it!

Brady was originally a stock photo of a three toed sloth until Ms. Lucheek gave him a physical identity one night when she was doing free sketches during a JAVGW cast. I simply asked Ms. Lucheek to draw what she thought a warrior sloth would look like. The name Proeliator Bradypodidae came about because I (sadly) thought I was being clever. heh... and to tell the truth, it turns out I am pretty happy being associated with Brady.

AN OPEN LETTER TO MS. AMBER WILLIAMS:

Dear Ms. Williams,

<fanboi> SQUEEEEE!! </fanboi>

*COUGH* ... um... yeah.

#>.>#

Sincerely,

Brady

I would be lying if I said I am not extremely pleased with this cameo. It has made my ego go all puffer fish. Which I expect to be deflated in three... two... one... *cue the Mods*
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

lilpuppy23

I notice mink doesn't have Jakob's shirt anymore, though I am unsure of the time span between when we last saw Mink and Dan and now.
(eg how long was the film night, and was it happening simultaneously to Dan in SAIA, or intermittently to SAIA?)

Angel

FIVE MINUTES AGO:

"I'll just read DMFA quickly before bed..."

FOUR MINUTES AGO:

"Ooh, Dan got his ass kicked - HOLY SHIT IS THAT KEATON? And wait, I know a sloth - OH MY GOD BRADY. YAY NOW THEY'RE FAMOUS."

This was a good night.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Madmann135

At first I thought it was Cassandra Daryil because it would fit more with Cassandra Daryil than Keaton... then I looked closer at the tail then wings and said "That is Keaton."    I look at the head first, so sue me.

Dan's ego has taken a hit, his swordsmanship skills are rusty and he will work at fixing that as Dan + Sword = a marriage made for battle.  I would have liked to see the fight, only because Dan + swordfights are flashy and fun to watch.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

joshofspam

You know, going along what Dan Alexsi and Abel learned about fighting from Destania, I've always wondered where or who Destania learned from?

I wonder if Clan Cyra was a branching clan Owona or Taun.

But on the other hand, it must be rather hard on Fa'lina to replace the Being instructors for classes once they either die of old age or finally have to retire. It must get on Fa'lina's nerves that sometimes she has to replace an instructor with a less competent one because they age a lot quicker then her students.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Stig Hemmer

Quote from: tiggertoo on October 21, 2011, 12:42:01 AM
Heh, I have a strong feeling that Dan only thinks he got his butt kicked that time -- those learning curves can be real slippery - and there's a hard bounce at the bottom.  :erk
At least he is getting his ass handed to him by someone who won't kill him.  I'm sure Dan is experienced enough to appreciate any lesson learned that way.
Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.