07/02/2011 [DMFA# 1196] - Feeling a little down in the mouth...

Started by Tezkat, February 07, 2011, 09:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: terrycloth on February 07, 2011, 06:53:16 PM
Off-camera, Abel's been impregnating dozens of beings every day since leaving SAIA. In his sleep. It's part of his clan-destiny.

... done, well, clandestinely?

BTW, Tezkat, I must have been asleep when I looked at this thread the other day. You get a gold star for the pun.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Inumo

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 08, 2011, 06:56:57 AM
BTW, Tezkat, I must have been asleep when I looked at this thread the other day. You get a gold star for the pun.

... I feel horribly uncultured, I have no idea what the pun is. As such, I also get the feeling this is like saying "no pun intended" in the middle of a sentence and watching as a person agonizes over what the pun was. :|

Also, didn't Aniz have more kids than just Abel? So there's something around ten or fifteen people in clan Siar?

Alondro

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 07, 2011, 12:36:27 PM
Quote from: AxiLarin on February 07, 2011, 12:15:00 PM
Wow... that honestly did not occur to me, but that is within the realm of possibility.  Perhaps Siar was having a little chat with him in that Pip dream.

To put it mildly, I think she's a little bit too dead for that...

*Charline bah!*  Since when has a little thing like death stood in the way of a fictional character's ambitions!  (Kenny, Jean Grey, Superman, the entire cast of DBZ...)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Inumo on February 08, 2011, 08:47:11 AM

... I feel horribly uncultured, I have no idea what the pun is. As such, I also get the feeling this is like saying "no pun intended" in the middle of a sentence and watching as a person agonizes over what the pun was. :|

"Feeling a little down in the mouth" is a euphemism for being depressed.
"down" also means the soft, fluffy feathers used in pillows and quilts and duvets/doonas.

Hence the classy pun supplied by the tigerish one.

Also, didn't Aniz have more kids than just Abel? So there's something around ten or fifteen people in clan Siar?

Nope. He'd planned, but hadn't implemented any of those plans prior to Fa'Lina shutting him down.

Okay, so he _might_ have had a lot of other spawn, but none of them were Cubi, so (as far as he cares) they don't count. And, of course, as far as the Clan goes, there were four left the first night. Two of those jumped ship to another clan, the third one committed suicide, leaving Aniz all by his lonesome.

So, Aniz and Abel, makes two. And now, of course, that's one again.

Tezkat

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 08, 2011, 10:38:43 AM

"Feeling a little down in the mouth" is a euphemism for being depressed.
"down" also means the soft, fluffy feathers used in pillows and quilts and duvets/doonas.

Hence the classy pun supplied by the tigerish one.

What teh boxy said. When you frown, your mouth curves down, hence the phrase "down in the mouth". It's no longer a very popular expression (at least on my side of the puddle...), but you do hear it a lot in old movies and such.

Unfortunately, I can't claim credit for the pun. I blame Mary Poppins (or more specifically, Dick Van Dyke's character Bert) for that one.
:mowtongue

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Keleth

Help! I'm gay!

Infranscia

Meh, the Tri-Wing!Abel things seems very unlikely to me.  In fact, from what I've read, I'd say he's far from that point.  Far, far, far from.  Quoar!Abel seems highly unlikely, but I suppose it's vaguely possible.  ... But aren't clan-adoptions willing, not subconscious?  On both sides?  Yeah, at this point, I think Abel isn't interested.

Anyway, I also like the second panel.  :mowsmile  Looks like Abel didn't devour his entire pillow.  Good, I can't imagine eating one of those things to be good for you, Cubi or not, feline or not, full-of-fiber or not...

Quote from: Alondro on February 08, 2011, 09:38:34 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on February 07, 2011, 12:36:27 PMTo put it mildly, I think she's a little bit too dead for that...

*Charline bah!*  Since when has a little thing like death stood in the way of a fictional character's ambitions!  (Kenny, Jean Grey, Superman, the entire cast of DBZ...)

Erm... He did say 'to put it mildly.'  Think deader-than-deader-than-dead, and then some.  :sigh
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

terrycloth

I don't think it's implausible that Siar could come back. I don't see any reason to expect her soul to still exist, but no one on the Cubi side who saw the battle survived, and I doubt the dragons are talking.

Inumo

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 08, 2011, 10:38:43 AM

Nope. He'd planned, but hadn't implemented any of those plans prior to Fa'Lina shutting him down.

Okay, so he _might_ have had a lot of other spawn, but none of them were Cubi, so (as far as he cares) they don't count. And, of course, as far as the Clan goes, there were four left the first night. Two of those jumped ship to another clan, the third one committed suicide, leaving Aniz all by his lonesome.

So, Aniz and Abel, makes two. And now, of course, that's one again.

So, does that mean all the other kids he dropped off at SAIA are now dead? Or was I misinterpreting this strip?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Inumo on February 08, 2011, 07:14:37 PM
So, does that mean all the other kids he dropped off at SAIA are now dead? Or was I misinterpreting this strip?

"Do you intend to" means "in the future", I would have said.

See also here, and the page after it. And possibly those around it.

Given Abel hung around at the Academy for ~400 years, and only left when Fa'Lina forced him out, Aniz was about four hundred and forty when Abel was born (see here and obviously here), and that Aniz hasn't been allowed to have any more children at SAIA until Abel hits 400, my bet is that Aniz never did manage to have any more Cubi children, and that Abel is now alone.

Obviously, I could be off by one in my accounting, but that's my feel for the matter.

Prof B Hunnydew

"This will only end in FIRE"

Oh Gee, And Abel ate the only marshmallow.... NO S'mores tonight..

You know Abel could be adopted into Fa'lina clan, if he could just cheer up out a little.  or maybe that isn't a requirement. Still, Abel's clan is leaderless or something now that Aniz is Dead.  So that makes Abel is the Clan leader, unless he has an elder brother or sister.

Goddess My head hurts now ..............It would better If Fa'lina just takes Abel in fully under her wings.

PBH

Kayriel

<.< >.> Second panel. Abel's bedhead is dead sexy, amirite?
<3 Abel

Starcat5

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on February 08, 2011, 10:17:59 PM
You know Abel could be adopted into Fa'lina clan...
She can't. A clan leader needs an existing clan member to adopt people in her stead. Since Fa`lina HAS no clan members, she can't convert Abel to her clan. I guess hope DOES ride alone after all. *Gets shot at by "The Protomen" fans* Ack! *Runs away*
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Anker Steadfast

While Abel cannot transfer clan, clan markings 'n' everything, he could be made a honorary member of Fa'Lina's clan.
Though to be honest, every single student at the Cubi academy are probably already that, Abel included.

On a sidenote, if Abel is the last of his clan, he obviously become leader, and thus I reckon it would be up to him to decide if it was still Clan Siar, or it was now going to be Clan Abel. Offcourse, next thing we know, Abel will have a Dan Moment and everything goes crazy - Why, they might even enroll him into the Cubi academy  .. again ... but this time for Leadership 101 classes and such. :D

Let the speculation run wild !

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Maark30

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on February 09, 2011, 01:33:22 PM
While Abel cannot transfer clan, clan markings 'n' everything, he could be made a honorary member of Fa'Lina's clan.
Though to be honest, every single student at the Cubi academy are probably already that, Abel included.

On a sidenote, if Abel is the last of his clan, he obviously become leader, and thus I reckon it would be up to him to decide if it was still Clan Siar, or it was now going to be Clan Abel. Offcourse, next thing we know, Abel will have a Dan Moment and everything goes crazy - Why, they might even enroll him into the Cubi academy  .. again ... but this time for Leadership 101 classes and such. :D

Let the speculation run wild !

Somehow I always thought that to be a clan leader one had to be a tri-wing.
Proud member of the "Let the artist know how much you love her work" club

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Maark30 on February 09, 2011, 01:39:51 PM

It's implied, but Amber has pointed out that our sample set is somewhat limited (Fa'Lina and Cyra, at the time, I think) and that in actual fact the situation is a little more blurry.

Sadly, I don't recall precisely where she said that, so you'll have to just take my word for it.

BlackfootFerret

I just want to leave a note here. Amber, you have one of the best webcomics on the web. Everyone has stuff happen, like exploding computers and whatever, don't let it get you down. You plan things out well in advance, and have a talent for hidding little clues that I'd compare to J.K.Rowling, who has twarted my furry brain many times. I would much rather you proceed at whatever pace you can manage and not worry about things, rather than have you burn out from stress and see DMFA derail complete. Crap, Gaming Guardians does about one update every two months now, Sluggy Freelance might be daily, but it's not in color.

Relax, you're awesome, and I hope your computer raises from the dead without too many Special Infected attacking. - Blackfoot :mowcookie

Turnsky

The best laid plans of Mabs and Mows oft go Awry.

That is to say, it's not your fault, Ambargh, truthfully that dispite your best efforts, things happen that're out of your control, most folks here are patient, hell, some of them would prolly give you the shirt off their back regardless of whether you asked them or not.

So, when things go a tad askew, just roll with it and go from there.

and as the man said: "Don't worry, Be Happy"

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

JayEnfield

Like me.

I've got a gifting offer that could put some of your computer woes to bed. Or at least serve as a viable Plan B when they do come up. It's sitting in your e-mail inbox, waiting patiently for you. ;)

Maark30

Amber, I know you fear  PRAISE but BlackfootFerret is right.  You have a comic that has beaten the odds as you have  pointed out yourself with Fluffy's help. This is because what you have earned is a loyal fan base.  You do what you must and stay sane while doing it.  We will still be here when you get your Pyroducks in a row.   :mowcookie  (Ducks from the furniture flying at him)  :mowdizzy
Proud member of the "Let the artist know how much you love her work" club

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: JayEnfield on February 10, 2011, 09:56:32 PM
Like me.

I've got a gifting offer that could put some of your computer woes to bed. Or at least serve as a viable Plan B when they do come up. It's sitting in your e-mail inbox, waiting patiently for you. ;)

... given her machine is down, it's going to be a bit tricky for her to access her emails, don't you think? ;-]

AmigaDragon

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 09, 2011, 03:32:58 PM
Quote from: Maark30 on February 09, 2011, 01:39:51 PM

It's implied, but Amber has pointed out that our sample set is somewhat limited (Fa'Lina and Cyra, at the time, I think) and that in actual fact the situation is a little more blurry.

In essence, Abel is the acting clan leader for Siar as the only known member still alive. 26 years ago that distinction would have fallen to Aniz, as his father and presumably somewhat stronger because of age difference (and aspiration). If Abel had the desire, he could still probably start building a clan, it just wouldn't be Siar once he ascended to tri-wing.

As for Abel's siblings, the 4th panel of Ab_013 implies that previous children brought by Aniz turned out to not be cubi and thus either didn't survive the experience or were expelled by the time Abel arrived.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

joshofspam

Well do what makes you feel better Amber.

Strange how this seems like the money and time seem to be competing here instead of being dependant on one another.

I know I can most definitely wait until you get your computer fixed. So waiting isn't a problem for me.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Anker Steadfast

Well, who know .. perhqaps Abel's sudden ability to dream means he's about to become a tri-wing ?

After all, Cyra contacted Dan in his dreams, so I reckon that means that she can dream too ?

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Tezkat

You know... I don't think ascension to demigodhood is something that just happens randomly. Becoming a tri-wing normally requires a bit of work. Thousands and thousands of years of work... :animesweat

Ghostwish

Quote from: Tezkat on February 11, 2011, 03:14:11 PM
You know... I don't think ascension to demigodhood is something that just happens randomly. Becoming a tri-wing normally requires a bit of work. Thousands and thousands of years of work... :animesweat

With how little we know about, and all the crazy little clues lying around, who can say? Maybe he'll absorb Dan into the clan, though I think that would tick Cyra off something fierce.

BlackfootFerret

It seems like becoming Tri-wing either takes thousands of years of work.. or doing something truly horrific, ie -absorb- another creature. They mentioned that Cyra might have started the dragon-cubi war.. and Cyra is *HUGE*  :mowdizzy I have a feeling she might have -eaten a dragon-...

I have a feeling Amber's kept the exact mechanics for becoming Tri-wing secret for now.. because they're going to be very important to the plot later on. Aniz is up to something, after all, and it's going to take more than an internet news posting for me to believe that he's dead. He needs children for -something-.. the only clue I can think of is the bind that Fa'lima is in, being a clan of one, a Tri-wing needing other clan members to keep a clan going. That and from Dan's example cubi in a clan seem to be able to share energy. Best guess is Aniz wants power both to restore the clan, and kick dragon ass for revenge. How he plans to -get it-, and what it's going to cost, and to who,  is going to be really interesting.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: BlackfootFerret on February 12, 2011, 06:23:10 AM
It seems like becoming Tri-wing either takes thousands of years of work.. or doing something truly horrific, ie -absorb- another creature. They mentioned that Cyra might have started the dragon-cubi war.. and Cyra is *HUGE*  :mowdizzy I have a feeling she might have -eaten a dragon-...

Bear in mind we haven't seen Cyra. We've seen her representation in a dream that Dan had, which probably has been affected by the power she carries. In personal appearance, Fa'Lina is not much taller than Dan.

Of course, given the power levels we're talking about, it's entirely possible that Fa'Lina can be as large as she wishes, and Cyra is much the same.

... A sudden thought. I'm wondering if Cyra suffers from Small Man's Syndrome, and is compensating for it in Dan's dreams...

Tezkat

Quote from: BlackfootFerret on February 12, 2011, 06:23:10 AM
It seems like becoming Tri-wing either takes thousands of years of work.. or doing something truly horrific, ie -absorb- another creature.

Heh. Usually both, actually. >:] Amber suggested that the standard path to tri-wing status involves consuming lots of souls. Although a few founders did ascend by other means, they're supposedly more of an exception.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 12, 2011, 08:34:17 AM
In personal appearance, Fa'Lina is not much taller than Dan.

If by "not much taller" you mean she towers over everyone around her by only a head or two, then sure. :3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tezkat on February 12, 2011, 12:15:10 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 12, 2011, 08:34:17 AM
In personal appearance, Fa'Lina is not much taller than Dan.
If by "not much taller" you mean she towers over everyone around her by only a head or two, then sure. :3

Comparative to Cyra's apparent size, yes.