Calendar Question

Started by Zithras, August 10, 2006, 05:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zithras

Ummmerrrrrummm
*wonders if it's okay to post this here...I didn't see any other topics about it......*
Aaaanyways...Hiya everyone - I'm a comic reader and occasional forum lurker on the old DMFA forums....
*lurklurk* :zombiekun3
Before I went on vacation, the DMFA website had previews of the calendar that Amber was going to sell at Anthrocon...
I came back, and it seems that all mention of the calendar has disappeared from the website.
I was just wondering if there were any calendars left (I wanna buy one too!)

Thanks!
Zithras

:mowmeep

Tapewolf

I'm pretty certain that the destruction of Amber's computer and the aborted attempt to enter Canada nixed that.  I'd imagine she can't really sell things like that until she has sorted out where she's living...

**EDIT**
And for the record, I want one too.  Several in fact..

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Hilary

*agrees vehmently*

As much as I love wolves, the same calendar gets old after three years. Not to mention it's not good for much besides the pwetty pictures.

Yes, that's all I have to say. <<

Zedd

Rowne

Speaking of Wolf calendars, they've been gracing my walls for a good number of years too.  Only to be occasionally interrupted by a giant robot calendar or two.  So a DMFA calendar would be a wlecome change.

O'course, it'll take a while what with the living / computer issues and all but it's likely that Amber will get back to it at some point in the future and I'm more than willing to wait.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Hilary on August 10, 2006, 05:38:04 PM
As much as I love wolves, the same calendar gets old after three years. Not to mention it's not good for much besides the pwetty pictures.

That creeped me out at first.  I was about to say "How did you know.." but thinking about it, there's probably quite a people here who are amenable to wolf calendars.  Of course one of the reasons I have them is because I was trying to draw wolves for my game..

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Rowne

I have them because I adore Wolves and canines, basically.  The walls of my abode are plastered with Wolf paintings and things but none of that comes close to the fact that I actually have a Samoyed, whom I'll adore til the end of time.

My abode likely would be creepy though, I have quadrupeds, both real and fictional, lining the walls like most teens have bad pop bands there (at least, in the UK).

Hilary

*sigh* I want a large dog very badly, but my dad is averse to dogs. Which is one of the many reasons I Do Not Like the man. But anyway, I just finished painting my room (whoo! paint fumes!) so there's not much up yet. But I've found a video rental place that virtually gives away the movie posters after they're done with them. *makes evil plans* Nice new white walls, we won't be seeing you for a looong time...

*admires our topic-changing skillz*

Amber Williams

Thankfully one of the few things that has a backup copy is the calendars...which my printer still has as the whole shop was put on hold until the computer situation pulls together. (I was suppose to do a couple images for the website store)  Which is more than I can say for nearly any of the other high-res files I had on storage. X_x

Its very likely once I'm up and running, and once things have stopped being so...on the wire....the store with calendar online ordering will be soon to follow. X_x

Zedd

*gives Amber a cookie and a backrub machine that comes with heating*

Jigsaw Forte

Well that's good to know.

I'll be glad to purchase the new one provided I find a way of mounting it in my dorm room, since I kicked myself after seeing how kickass the previous one was.

Damaris

Tape it to a sturdy piece of cardboard and prop it up on your desk.

Or, wait until the end of the year and see if you can "rescue" a corkboard from the dumpster that someone doesn't want to take home.  You would be surprised about the amount of stuff people chuck.  I got a file cabinet that way once.  As well as a trash can, several blankets, a CD holder, and some other assorted bits.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Netami

Quote from: Damaris on August 12, 2006, 10:27:11 PM
Tape it to a sturdy piece of cardboard and prop it up on your desk.

Or, wait until the end of the year and see if you can "rescue" a corkboard from the dumpster that someone doesn't want to take home.  You would be surprised about the amount of stuff people chuck.  I got a file cabinet that way once.  As well as a trash can, several blankets, a CD holder, and some other assorted bits.

Are you sure that was all in the trash? And that you weren't just stealing?

Heh nah, just kidding. We read this thing about a guy that lived with just his dog and rummaged around for food and stuff in the trash. He said that you could get all sorts of good stuff from college dorms at the end of the year when they threw stuff out. He also had a guide on how old food can REALLY be before it goes bad. Peanut butter apparantly lasts a long time.

Damaris

I never went near the actual cans in the trash room (yes, we had a room), because the idea of food in trash cans grosses me out.

And if it was stealing, they shouldn't left it in the hall :p (I was also always the last one to leave the dorms, because of my father's work schedule)

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Hilary

Quote from: Damaris on August 12, 2006, 10:27:11 PM
Sweet.
Why don't they teach us things like this in that so-called 'Life Skills' class? Honesty and check-writing? Pshhh. Teach us mad dumpster diving skillz!

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on August 12, 2006, 12:15:33 AM
I'll be glad to purchase the new one provided I find a way of mounting it in my dorm room, since I kicked myself after seeing how kickass the previous one was.
The ceiling, my friend. Never underestimate the ceiling.

Rowne

I'm with you, Hilary.

An old friend of mine used to actually build new PCs that way.  He'd go to the dumpsters of large companies and dig out anything they weren't using and even funnier, he'd actually ask them if there were any components they needed disposed of for free.

I wish I had the utter gall to run around asking people for their garbage, especially when their garbage could net me a good three or four mid-line PCs.  That's stuff they do indeed need to teach at school.

----

Oh and I almost forgot!  That'll teach me to post as soon as I've woken up in the bloody morning.

Glad to hear it, Amber!  I've seen webcomic artists who've had projects destroyed by this kind of thing and it's always really depressing because one could see how much work they were putting into it before calamity hit them.  I'm glad to hear your calendar scans are okay and that there will be indeed calendars available soon.

If you'll be shipping 'em internationally, I'll definitely buy one or two, looking forward to it!  No rush though, take your time, I can't imagine how trying this whole situation has been.

Hilary

Arrg! There's a Megatokyo comic that is perfect for this situation... I've been through about five hundered of the things and I can't find it. *continues diligently searching*
(I'm just a little bit [*makes expansive gesture with hands*] obsessed.)

Zithras

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 10, 2006, 05:20:12 PM
I'm pretty certain that the destruction of Amber's computer and the aborted attempt to enter Canada nixed that.  I'd imagine she can't really sell things like that until she has sorted out where she's living...

:yeahthat

Yikes!  Miss a couple weeks of rants, and....

Wow...ummm...nevermind then

Amber, I hope life goes better for you over the next three weeks than it apparently did over the last three...
losing high-res art scans just...sucks...I ran recovery software on a second computer for a week straight, and that was just to get back my wallpaper collection...

(that hard drive REALLY hated me...but in the end, I emerged victorious  :biglaugh  and with a new hard drive that lasted almost a year before it, too crashed...  :erk)

I'm no help when it comes to the Canada thing, and I'm sure this has been suggested before...but...

Did you try using R-Studio (or similar recovery software) to back your hard drive onto another hard drive?
Ouch.

Best of luck,
Zithras

Zithras

*oops...meant to edit, not double post...lets try that again...hmm I dont think I can delete this...

* Zithras looks around the buttons unhappily*

Damaris

oooh, recovery suggestions are VERY bad ideas...  They make Amber's eye twitch.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yeah, we've done that to death. And then some.

Basically - leave it, since there are two or three people offering who are gonna give it a try, most of whom have access to things normal geeks don't... :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears