12/12/2010 [DMFA# 1176] Return of the Sucker punch!

Started by Lego3400, December 12, 2010, 03:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mao

If I have to look at more diagrams about the comic, I'm going to tearoom this thread.

Attic Rat

No diagrams here. Just appreciating the story line.
Putting aside the guesswork, I like the simple logic behind Abel's fighting style.
Nobody bleeds.
He created instant armor when Jyrras accidentally tossed a knife at him, and used some sort of blunt impact on Lorenda. This really fits his problems with the sight of blood. The two daggers might be for show, or as a last-resort defense.

Amber must have put a lot of thought into this.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Attic Rat on December 13, 2010, 09:19:49 PM

tbh, I'm pretty sure most of the people in this thread have been putting far more thought into this than Amber has been. To me, the biggest jump-out was the crack about the decaf coffee, and I'd be willing to bet that most of the comic was built around the gag, rather than notions of how Abel attacks people when he's frightened half out of his mind.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

ishidan

And an opportunity to draw a Silly Lorenda, and humorous violence.

Jeez you folks have been overanalyzing it and not paying enough attention to Lorenda bugging out her eyes, sticking out her tongue, making silly noises-and getting whacked across the room for it.

ishidan

Quote from: Unsilenced on December 13, 2010, 01:02:18 PM
Also: Am I the only one who thought Able punched her with his wing/tentacle things? I mean... that's totally what it looks like happened.

No, I don't have a diagram to prove it.
Don't need one.  Just look down.
Both of Abel's wings are in tentacle form, and that's what is emanating the green gas.  His left one is the one that took the shot-see it, on the ground right under where Lorenda was standing?
Abel panicked, shot out his wings as tentacles while porting in his daggers.  The closer one-the left one-connected while the right one tried to loop around Jyrras-before Abel caught his mistake.

Unsilenced

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on December 13, 2010, 10:38:45 PM
Quote from: Attic Rat on December 13, 2010, 09:19:49 PM

tbh, I'm pretty sure most of the people in this thread have been putting far more thought into this than Amber has been. To me, the biggest jump-out was the crack about the decaf coffee, and I'd be willing to bet that most of the comic was built around the gag, rather than notions of how Abel attacks people when he's frightened half out of his mind.

The truth, people, the truth.

And he didn't even need a diagram.

Good show.
Post of the Dead:
"When there is no more room in hell, this thread will walk the earth"

Amber Williams

Turnsky

Quote from: Mao Laoren on December 13, 2010, 07:17:56 PM
If I have to look at more diagrams about the comic, I'm going to tearoom this thread.

indeed.

BRING ON THE HANDPUPPETS!

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Evilkritter

So that happened.

ishidan, I agree completely, a blunt force fighting style makes perfect sense for Able. I wonder, will Amber make it canon?  :mowsmile

Also, not to be needlessly technical again (but I will be, intentionally) but Amber only pinged two of us as "NEeEEEeEeeEeeEeEeeEeeeeerds"...actually our dear writer probably just pinged me twice.

The Over-analytical Approach: just as effective as NASCAR with only twice the mental afflication!

EDIT: ...zar heel llaerch m'doCarno ?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Speaking of a blunt fighting style...

... your average blunt object doesn't make blood spatter. But only on the first strike. After that, there's usually blood all over the show. So... a blunt object fighting style buys him one hit.

But then, he'd get that from reading minds anyway. And he'd get one from hitting first, too. So... it's all a bit of a wash.

joshofspam

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 14, 2010, 09:23:16 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on December 14, 2010, 09:02:38 AM
BRING ON THE HANDPUPPETS!

Wot, like this? Wouldn't that be something like this?

Hmmmmmmmm...Isn't that first option a little to mature for this side of the forum?

Still Lorenda will probably need a ice bag for that or a frozen steak.

Lucky for Abel, Demons aren't really known to be easy bleeders even though she was caught totally unprepared and couldn't get her diamond hard skin up.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Draken

Quote from: joshofspam on December 14, 2010, 10:16:02 AM
[Lorenda] was caught totally unprepared and couldn't get her diamond hard skin up.

Wait, demons have to put that barrier up?  I thought it was a constant, biological thing.  Huh.  In other news, that face of Lorenda's before the magical barrier 'splosion was absolutely adorable.  I say we get Silly faces of each of the cast, especially the normally evil ones.
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Draken on December 14, 2010, 12:01:42 PM
I say we get Silly faces of each of the cast, especially the normally evil ones.

Seeing Dark Pegasus make a silly face would actually be kind of creepy to me. :erk

Icon by Sunblink

mopman

Considering  Lorenda's family I expect she grew up dealing with worse than what happened here , she's a tough cow , hmm why do I wonder what it would take to tenderize her?  >:3
" Man is the only animal that blushes - Or needs to " Mark Twain

terrycloth

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 14, 2010, 09:36:57 AM
Speaking of a blunt fighting style...

... your average blunt object doesn't make blood spatter. But only on the first strike. After that, there's usually blood all over the show. So... a blunt object fighting style buys him one hit.

But then, he'd get that from reading minds anyway. And he'd get one from hitting first, too. So... it's all a bit of a wash.

Maybe Abel's studied pugilism?

even so, Marquis of Queensbury rules, should be in effect.

Ding-Ding!

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

D'ymkarra

'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Kirishala

Quote from: Draken on December 14, 2010, 12:01:42 PM
Quote from: joshofspam on December 14, 2010, 10:16:02 AM
[Lorenda] was caught totally unprepared and couldn't get her diamond hard skin up.
Wait, demons have to put that barrier up?  I thought it was a constant, biological thing.  Huh.  In other news, that face of Lorenda's before the magical barrier 'splosion was absolutely adorable.  I say we get Silly faces of each of the cast, especially the normally evil ones.
The Demonology 101 article on demons says that they have "the ability to turn their skin razor sharp and diamond hard."  Which implies that the ability needs to be activated rather than being constantly in effect.

MT Hazard

Also there is the added complication that lore is a half demon and therefore weaker than a pure blood, we don't even know if she even has that particular feature.

update: -7 for two posts.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Starcat5

Something that has been bugging me for a while... Why does Amber keep saying "It will be up later today", when what she actually means is "I'll post it for the next scedualed update"? I have no problem with her missing an update, mind. Beggers can't be choosers. My annoyance is with the promise of an only minor delay in the update, when the update for that day has been dropped outright.

Mind you, if Amber posts the comic just as I upload this post, I'll look like a bloody idiot. Roll the dice, take your chances. *Shrug*
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

llearch n'n'daCorna

Because she's human, starcat. She's making an attempt to guess when things are going to be finished, and missing.

Welcome to the human race. You're no more perfect than she is. Now shush, and be grateful.

Sheesh.

Alondro

*Charline learns an attack spell for her own use!*  DOCTOR OCTAGONAPUS BLAHHHHHHHH!!   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

bradley535

Been waiting on an official Suckerpunch since #733... Time to break down and donate to the cause. Should have done this a long time ago.

Shachza

The suckerpunch is the focus and all, but anyone else notice that Jyrras didn't scream and run away like his usual self?  What is up with that?  I guess maybe Lorenda jumping out and yelling "BOO!" is more common than we might think because Jyrras almost seems to be used to it.

P.S.  The new rating thingy above our avatars:

I changed my mind:  +/-

Makes me think we're all schizophrenic.  Me not so much, I've only changed my mind 19 times one way or the other.  Poor Boxy, Mao, and Amber though.   :giggle
            <-- #1 that is!

Naldru

Quote from: Shachza on December 16, 2010, 02:45:23 PM
The suckerpunch is the focus and all, but anyone else notice that Jyrras didn't scream and run away like his usual self?  What is up with that?  I guess maybe Lorenda jumping out and yelling "BOO!" is more common than we might think because Jyrras almost seems to be used to it.

Perhaps jumping out and yelling boo is Lorenda's way of training Jyrras to handle surprises better.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Anker Steadfast

I wonder, does this mean that Abel is now a member of the Blunt Brigade:D

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

MT Hazard

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on December 17, 2010, 09:52:38 AM
I wonder, does this mean that Abel is now a member of the Blunt Brigade:D

Nope, I'd say you have to be a certain type of 'special' to join the blunt object brigade.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Starcat5

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 15, 2010, 10:31:52 AM
Because she's human, starcat. <snip> You're no more perfect than she is. Now shush, and be grateful.

Sheesh.
Gah! I thought I made it clear in my post that I understood that life sux, s#it happens, and comics get missed. The point, and only point, of my last post was to make notice that "It will be up later today" was becoming code for "Check back next scedualed update". That is it. I have the utmost respect for Amber, and understand in a vague way that trying to cram script writing, drawing, posting three updates a week, AND holding down a full time job is tough. I blame my Asperger's syndrom for my inability to portray that properly last post. Sometimes I think I've given enough information to get my point across, and it just isn't so.

Also, I would have had this reply up sooner, but my computer died and I had to dig an older one out of moth balls.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Mao

Not to downplay the difficulty of what Mabbers does, but I should note that she doesn't have a full time job atm (at least, not as of last I talked to her which was, admittedly, about a week ago).   That said, she does have a lot of other things on the go to make up for the fact that she doesn't have an actual full time job.  (Commissions etc)

Quote from: Shachza on December 16, 2010, 02:45:23 PM
P.S.  The new rating thingy above our avatars:

I changed my mind:  +/-

Makes me think we're all schizophrenic.  Me not so much, I've only changed my mind 19 times one way or the other.  Poor Boxy, Mao, and Amber though.   :giggle

HA!  That would require any of us taking that thing seriously.  Cripes, we give each other hundreds in any category for shiggles.