Internal conflict and moral decisions.

Started by Amber Williams, August 10, 2006, 01:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber Williams

Guys, we need to talk.

No...its not about you peeps...though this is starting to sound like a wierd break-up thing.  Let me first reassure you all that things are fine on my end.  My computer is being softwared up as I type.  DMFA will be back up and running shortly and that will be well in life as I get back to the issues at hand.  I have plans to rustle up enough money to make the final amount needed for the Canadian migration V2, and hopefully things will be back to a normally scheduled program soon.

My concern though is Dave Hopkins. 

For those not in the know, Dave is currently in a VERY serious situation  that really puts my own scenario to a piddling shame in comparison. I mean, my issues are mearly financial and annoying...not nearly life-threatening.  But Dave's are...and from what I've been hearing, its getting very serious and isn't something that can be left to wait months or years.

My problem is...I have no moderatly decent way to help.  I don't really have enough money to donate (in actuality the money donated is more or less dwindlings so once I restart DMFA I likely will be resorting to auctioning off things to raise funds..despite the haitus likely taking a toll on readership.  But thats not important right now!)  I don't have a computer at this time or anything I can really offer for the help-Dave cause.  And me just going "Hay guys! Can u send more money but to this guy? :B" after my own sites been kinda meh seems a bit unhelpful.

Dave is a great person, even if you don't enjoy his comic.  He's insanely nice and one of the funniest people I have ever been able to hang around with at conventions.  And the situation is severe...possibly even life-threatening.  And its just...so frustrating for me to sit and know there is a chance I might possibly lose a friend's life...while for the past few weeks I've only been "bla bla bla...my computer...bla bla bla...my Canada troubles..."

This isn't me trying to look cheeky. I post because I am looking to you peeps for some advice since odds are you all have been with me since this my problems have started so would know what situation I'm currently in.  And also, I'm asking you guys as a community if you have any ideas that perhaps as a group we can do something of our own to pool together and help Dave out.  I want ideas, input, a plan of sorts.

Thanks peeps.

RJ

Oh gosh :( This is one of those times where I wish I had won the lottery... I wish I wasn't in my own financial difficulties at the moment, or else I'd donate.

*stares and pouts at everyone else who reads*

Nino

Oh my gosh, this really tugs on my heart-strings. Geez, if I could donate I would, but I'm currently going through college and wasn't even able to find a job this summer. Maybe if I start accepting commissions I'll donate a percentage to him... though sadly I can't work on much of anything at college (when I do go back, and there's not a whole lot I can get done before then) due to lack of scanner and huge workload. Argh, it's just frusterating to read this and not be able to help though.

Aridas

We all wish we could win the lottery.. there are just so many people who need money that you just wish you had it to hand out.. hopefully the way DMFAers are so fanatical about donating, they'll be able to cover it no problem. Things seem to be going quick, and if people just don't hesitate and get to it, it should be even faster. I don't doubt if everyone puts a little in from their own funds and such when they can, things may just turn out for the best.

llearch n'n'daCorna

One wonders, idly, and in an utterly sick sort of fascination sort of way :-)

... can you nominate which tooth you're paying for, if you donate?

More seriously - I was going to suggest we set up a separate paypal account, collect money in there, and then pass it across as a community - problem is, that doubles the fees that paypal gets out of this, which is kinda silly. So, I figure, if we, as a community, provide an identifying note on each donation stating that we're from DMFA, we can identify us as a group, as it were.

Of course, that presumes that we want to be identified as such. :-)

The down side is that, while I could donate some, I sortof need it for my son's school fees next month, so I'm not going to be able to donate before then. :-/ Fortunately, while life-endangering, it's chronic, not immediate. Still sucks. :-/
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zina

I say we set up a DMFA fund for Dave. I can certainly donate a portion of my commission money to it. :3

Cvstos

The DMFA community artists could band together and create artwork to put up for sale somewhere on the 'net, with proceeds to go to the fund.  Maybe with collaborative artwork, too.  Links to that web page in signatures on other forums could also help.  Post on your other forums about it.  Just a few ideas off the top of my head at 4AM.  I will post others if I think of them.  Right now I'm too tired to really focus on anything.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Rowne

I'd want to be able to donate money without getting anything in return, too.  I'm not rich but I tend to be very giving and this sounds like a good cause, one of the better ones that I've seen in fact and I'd like to do my part.

I just wish I had some major talent or other so that I too could offer up materials for sale.  I do have one idea though ... I have a lot of obscurities lying around, rare games and whatnot.  Perhaps we could auction bunches of that kind of thing off to help raise money?

Netami

I've recieved next to no consideration from stated party, so no thanks. I'll keep me pennies. Good luck getting it up there, though.

Vidar

The "Help Dave" site states that his condition is / will be life threatening, yet he is having trouble finding anyone to save his life.
Is that normal in America? What's the healthcare like in the US?

I live in the europe, and over here, the metality is more like: save life first, money can be sorted out later. At least in this part of europe it is (don't know about the other coutries). To look at money while a life is / will be in the balance just seems really barbaric, evil, disgusting and mercenary to me.
As soon as I get a credit card (already send in the forms) I'm going to donate some moneys.

I want YOU (yes, you, the one sitting in front of a computer screen) to donate / get other people to donate.

\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Saist

Quote from: Vidar on August 10, 2006, 08:48:49 AM
The "Help Dave" site states that his condition is / will be life threatening, yet he is having trouble finding anyone to save his life.
Is that normal in America? What's the healthcare like in the US?

not trying to descend too much into politcal fighting here, there are a lot of hospitals in the US based around that concept, and there are a lot of doctors who do work exactly like that, get it done, then sort it out. However, you first have to find them, then actually get to them.

However, on the flip side, if you are on an HMO plan, government plan, or for that matter, any type of insurance plan, that's when things can get to be a little dicey.

There is also the maatter here that isn't having any trouble finding someone who can save his life, he's having trouble paying that somebody to save his life, two completely different matters.

And yes, the unspoken question answered, our healthcare system(s) are still several times more effective than anything Europe has to offer, and more often cheaper in the long run in comparison to tax rates and personal investment (be it through taxes, HMO plans, or straight out cost). Just like in HSI Tech Support where you don't hear about the guy whose Cable modem has worked for 3 years straight without a drop, you don't hear about the success stories where the Health Care plans work, or where the people get the help they need when they need it. What you hear about is when things get screwed up, such as in Dave's case.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand, I've passed on the site to some of my friends in the medical community in Georgia to see if they have any advice on where to go from here.

Vidar

Around my part, that's how EVERY doctor works. Death due to negligence is punishable by law with prison time, and your licence to practice medicine could / would get revoked.
Doctors don't need to worry about getting payed: they get payed by the insurance-company where the patient has health-care. I'm not sure what happens when someone without healthcare get's treated, but the doctor will still get payed.
Also, everyone is required to get basic health-insurance, which would certainly cover Dave's problem, and is inexpensive enough so that even the lowest income families can afford them. I should know, I'm from a lowest income family.

It just pisses me off that someone in serious need of help is being asked for money. To me it's little better then highway robbery: "Pay up, or die".
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

TheDXM

This comes as a shocking and disappointing surprise to me. It's unfortunate that in my current situation, there is little I can manage to come up with, but if I can find extra work I'll definately see if I can help. 'Since I have little better to do I should be able to pull in some extra cash.

If it's a dental issue we're looking at you can expect physicians to be a little cheeky. I've had a few issues myself and there was no way I could expect to pay the dental bills without some form of aid. If you're just trying to get by on life it's very unrealistic to get those sort of treatments done. You basically either have the money or you get lucky enough to qualify for the aid, and sometimes even that won't cover certain teeth, areas, etc.

It's all pretty ridiculous, even if it threatens your long-term health. This whole seizure thing though, I'm very surprised SOMETHING doesn't cover that.

Lysander

Yeah, you'd think there'd be something to cover at least some. But sometimes certain things happen...and things need to change.

Real life scares me. :januscat
TytajLucheek

Gabi

That's awful. Here the hospitals would never let someone die for lack of money. It's true that sometimes hospitals don't have the resources to take care of all patients (like expensive medicines... or sometimes even simple things like cotton), but at least they don't turn their backs on them. I wish I could do something to help. I'll pass the word to the people I know.

[Edit: made a post on the Tsuyoi's Lair forums.]
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Rafe

First of all, thanks very much Amber and everyone else who's helping.  The problem with Dave's situation is that at the moment it falls between the cracks as far as his insurance and the health care system in general.  I'm sure if his fever went up and the infection spread to the point he was unconcious in the emergency room, he would get help no questions asked, but it would be really, really much better if it didn't have to get worse before he gets some help.

If you've ever seen Dave, he's over six feet tall, but only weighs around 140 lbs.  You worried that he was getting enough to eat before this happened.  Now he's eating even less.  I guess my point is that if we wait around for 'official' help, it would be a huge risk, not to mention that making someone in pain wait for help isn't  a great thing to do.

If you look at Katie's Gaia page http://jadephoenix.org/karma/savedave.html  a lot of very nice and very talented people are offering art to help, everything from chibis to plushies.  I'm sure Amber and the DMFA fans will help out by buying some, or just helping with a few dollars, and maybe even come up with some better ideas.

All I can say is, if someone as talented, generous, and all around nice as David Hopkins can't get help from his fans and friends, the rest of us don't stand a chance. 

Thanks very much,

Rafe
Rafe

Sketchy boy

Ill Advertise it on my new DA Journal im about to make.  I don't get watched much, but i hope it helps.  Gah, sometiems I wish I could draw better and had a paypal account.  I feel pretty helpless, even though i barely know the guy.

Zedd

:< Poor dave....HE dont deserve this...He's a great guy...I do hope he gets what he needs

Azlan

I really wish I could help, but I'm a bit strapped.  I wish the best of luck, I may not be a fan of Jack, but he is a seriously nice guy.  Please, if you can spare it, lend some aid.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

tkg

I've never met the guy, but I believe he is a nice person, after all the good words that have been said about him. His current state sounds outright horrible, and I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemies... not that I have any, but the point is still valid (I hope).

ITOS

Is there any way you can send money if you don't have PayPal?

Some of us don't have access to a credit card, unfortunately. :<
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Tapewolf

Quote from: ITOS on August 11, 2006, 04:24:28 AM
Is there any way you can send money if you don't have PayPal?

Some of us don't have access to a credit card, unfortunately. :<
They take well-concealed cash apparently.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

TheDXM

If you don't have paypal, or a checking account, use a money order. It's way more secure than actual cash, you can get them at a currency exchange in your area. I trust them more than paypal personally... You can send checks too probably, but they're basically the same difference. Whichever is less expensive I suppose.

You can E-mail Mrs. Katherine Hopkins and she can send you an address for any snail-mail apparantly.

JousterL

I donated what I could.

Dave's a cool guy. Granted that most times I've been rather intimidated by him and have hence probably seemed incredibly meek when trying to strike up a conversation (I've been told that's normal).

Plus, I read Jack, and enjoy the comic very much.

I really hope things get better for him. :/

Alondro

Sheesh, if it weren't for the fact that I'm having to cover all the vital repairs our house needs (thanks to my dad not getting a job in a year...  :cuss ) I'd be able to help.  He should complain of mild chest pains over the upper left thoracic region and left arm numbness and tingling, as bad teeth can cause heart damage from the streptococcal/spaphylococcal bacteria infiltration of the blood stream, THEN they'd certainly admit him and dose him heavily on antibiotics.  There's a knack for playing the system that I've learned from working in a hospital in a major city and hearing how others have weasled their way through.

At the very least, he should be using a strong mouthwash every day (even though it'll hurt hellishly for the first week), like Listerine, to perhaps hold the gum infections down a little.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Zorro

Problem with the mouthwash thing is that it will strip the top layer of cells off your mouth if you hold it too long.

Dentists normally recommend diluted Hydrogen Peroxide instead.  It is simply less irritating.

llearch n'n'daCorna

That's useful.

... I'd guess my contact lens cleaning solution probably isn't what you have in mind, however :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Damien Holtz

Oh, hell.. It just hurts when you haven't got a steady income and can't help someone in need, you know? My prayers go out to Dave, anyway, and I hope he gets better.

Hilary

Currently I'm broke, but I'm going to scrape together anything I can to try and help. I truly hope that everything will come together in the end, and with all the kindhearted people I know populate these forums, I have no doubt it will.  :mowsmile

Manawolf

My sister is getting her teeth as well, but its more to prevent a problem similar to Dave's.  I've yet to recieve payment for my summer job, and with college starting up once again, there isn't much else left I can do.  I'll be hoping for a swift recovery, but Dave should really give himself a rest.  If he's been keeping to his updating habits of being about a month ahead in comics, he deserves a break.