29/08/2010 [DMFA #1142] - When in doubt - armour plate

Started by Tapewolf, August 29, 2010, 07:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anker Steadfast

Well, yeah - It's bad programming, don't spam a webserver ... at least increase the interval actually, the interval isn't that bad when I think of it, any reasonable webserver could handle that. Still, making software that continiously poll a web server is bad netiquette.

On a sidenote, isn't there an RSS feed for DMFA updates ?
That would sorta make all the code unimportant.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Bjalf

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on September 03, 2010, 05:34:38 AM
Well, yeah - It's bad programming, don't spam a webserver ... at least increase the interval actually, the interval isn't that bad when I think of it, any reasonable webserver could handle that. Still, making software that continiously poll a web server is bad netiquette.

On a sidenote, isn't there an RSS feed for DMFA updates ?
That would sorta make all the code unimportant.

Actually, I was thinking of the repeat of the sleep statement.

Nope, no RSS feed. Google reader can handle non-rss subscriptions, but that doesn't always work.

I'd have thought that there would be a Firefox addon that did this. I mean, I can set auto-refresh on each tab individually, right down to 5 frickin seconds ...

Whalefreezer

As far as rss feeds are concerned, I've got this set up and its working pretty good for me.
ps: Hi :)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Bjalf on September 03, 2010, 05:50:22 AM
Actually, I was thinking of the repeat of the sleep statement.

Sure, but it was a quick one-off script written in less than ten minutes, with no code review. And deliberately poorly done, at that.

As far as RSS feeds go, Amber isn't up to making one. Her Coding Monkeys are working on getting one going in the background, but it's not as simple as you might think, and is depending on some other things. Mostly paying work taking all the attention...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

LionHeart

Quote from: Whalefreezer on September 03, 2010, 07:36:41 AM
As far as rss feeds are concerned, I've got this set up and its working pretty good for me.
ps: Hi :)

Welcome, Whalefreezer. Make sure you've read the rules, leave your sanity at the door, and beware of the box. Those are the most important things to remember. All else is elaboration.

Oh, and have a souvenir coffee mug. I usually present these to new folks, but I've gotten a bit behind lately.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ooo, ta. I knew I was missing something.
* llearch n'n'daCorna noms on the cup, crunch crunch crunch *

Mao

Everyone warns about the box.  No one mentions the rest of us.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yeah, that seems terribly unfair.

Maybe I'm just more visible? Perhaps if you painted yourself in dayglow orange with lime markings, you'd get more attention?

Mao

Nah, but instead I may just paint the forum red with the blood of forumites.  That may get some attention.

Anri

Quote from: Mao Laoren on September 03, 2010, 01:13:04 PM
Nah, but instead I may just paint the forum red with the blood of forumites.  That may get some attention.

Please state the bludgeon, blade or implement of blood-letting that you wish to use!

Starcat5

Well, Friday is almost over, and still no word from Amber since Tuesday. One presumes that if she had broken her hand or wound up in a full body cast or the like, we would have heard from her hubby or her brother by now. As is, I'll just assume that she is doing her "Living Zombie" impersonation (  :zombiekun2 'Sleep... Sleeeep... SLEEEEEEEEEEEP...'  :zombiekun2 ), and check back Sunday.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Tapewolf

Quote from: starcat5 on September 03, 2010, 11:08:50 PM
Well, Friday is almost over, and still no word from Amber since Tuesday.

Photoshop ate her too.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 04, 2010, 05:52:06 AM
Quote from: starcat5 on September 03, 2010, 11:08:50 PM
Well, Friday is almost over, and still no word from Amber since Tuesday.

Photoshop ate her too.

The long night of the living software ? :D

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Attic Rat

Photoshop doesn't eat people, just their money, time, and work. Also a bit of printer ink and paper.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?