The Last Airbender (We can only hope)

Started by Alondro, July 03, 2010, 12:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

Well, it looks as though all our fears have come true.  Shyamalan has killed the movie.

http://beta.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/

Now, I really have to ask:  How the hell does this guy keep getting movie scripts handed to him?  He keeps getting worse, yet gets bigger and bigger budgets.  He must have some serious dirt on some studio execs or something!   :P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Drayco84

My word, that's a lot of bad reviews...

Jairus

Well, look on the bright side: we still have the show, right?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Sunblink

Oh, I am not pleased.

Hopefully the godawful film version will vanish from everyone's memory, and the cartoon will remain immortal.

P.S: I told my dad that I was traumatized by the fact Shyamalan had murdered my favorite cartoon series, so we're now watching the episodes as part of a weekly ritual thing so he can understand how amazing the original series was. It's not family bonding. It's EDU-FUCKING-CATION.

It's for his own good, you understand.

Jairus

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on July 03, 2010, 11:52:36 AM
Oh, I am not pleased.

Hopefully the godawful film version will vanish from everyone's memory, and the cartoon will remain immortal.

P.S: I told my dad that I was traumatized by the fact Shyamalan had murdered my favorite cartoon series, so we're now watching the episodes as part of a weekly ritual thing so he can understand how amazing the original series was. It's not family bonding. It's EDU-FUCKING-CATION.

It's for his own good, you understand.
Education, brainwashing, same thing, right?

Aisha deCabre

For the record, I haven't yet seen the movie...I'm one of those who don't listen to reviews -or- the trailer and just goes to see for herself whether it's good or bad.  I'm kinda bound to think that Rotten Tomatoes was poised to give it a bad rating from the very beginning.  But then again, I'm also slightly paranoid about that kinda thing.  :B  So I'm willing to give it a fair chance myself.

But also for the record, I will say that the TV show rules, now and forever.  :3  I plan to procure the DVD sets for myself in the near future.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Darkmoon

As I've said elsewhere, if the movie isn't as bad as everyone says it is, I'll be disappointed.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Corgatha Taldorthar

Are you by any chance a fan of Manos Darkmoon?
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Darkmoon

Yes, but the MST3k version preferred. It's sooooo boring otherwise.

superluser

Quote from: Darkmoon on July 05, 2010, 09:23:09 PMYes, but the MST3k version preferred. It's sooooo boring otherwise.

Actually, I didn't think Manos was that bad.

In comparison, that is.  Robot Monster, for example, City Limits, or Lost Continent, were all extremely dull to an extent that Manos was not, IIRC.  Outlaw of Gor was bad for other reasons, and Attack of the the Eye Creatures had unbelievably poorly-executed special effects.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Darkmoon

Honestly, most movies MST3k covered really were among the worst. Some were decent on their own, certainly, or at least not bad enough to necessarily need 3king (This Island Earth is a bad movie, certainly, but watchable on its own).

Worst movie I ever saw is still Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter. Oh, or Teen Wolf Too.

bill

most unwatchable movie they did was that one about the air force, with the endless dialogue-free flight scenes where nothing of note happened

it's great when they actually get angry at a movie, instead of just mocking it.

superluser

Quote from: Darkmoon on July 05, 2010, 10:39:20 PM
Honestly, most movies MST3k covered really were among the worst. Some were decent on their own, certainly, or at least not bad enough to necessarily need 3king (This Island Earth is a bad movie, certainly, but watchable on its own).

There were a couple that actually got a bit of acclaim apart from MST3K.  Hangar 18 seems to be well-regarded in some circles (though not in mine), and Marooned (aka Space Travelers) saved Apollo 13 and won an Academy Award.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Darkmoon on July 05, 2010, 10:39:20 PM

Worst movie I ever saw is still Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter. Oh, or Teen Wolf Too.

I have to wonder, since there's been some conversation on a list I'm on recently - have you seent he twilight series?

Amongst other quotes and snide commentary: "Eclipse is the best of of the Twilight movies, and the third worst vampire movie of all time."

I was wondering if you'd reviewed them, purely out of interest...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Darkmoon

I really don't want to... but I have a feeling at some point I'm gonna have to watch them just so I can review them for ICVD.

That said, my sister saw them, and thought they were among the worst vampire movies ever made (if you call what the characters are "vampires").

Mao

Not vampires.  At least they did ok with the werewolves, if the trailers and t.v. commercials are any indication... 'course now that I've said that I'll find out they messed them up too.

Darkmoon

From what I've heard, the werewolves are the best part of those shitty movies.

If I ever update ICVD, it will be one of those series of movies I'll have to review, if only because they are so popular. It's a little weird (an yet totally awesome) to have a site with movie reviews of Blacula but not Twilight.

ooklah

rufftoon worked on the series. Here's her? response to the movie.

http://rufftoon.deviantart.com/art/Last-Airbender-spoilers-01-170091089
http://rufftoon.deviantart.com/art/Last-Airbender-Spoilers-02-170233494

I was quite sad by this movie myself. I need to go re-watch season 1 again to rid myself of the movie.
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

ShadesFox

A movie so densely packed that there is no transitions.
The All Purpose Fox

Aisha deCabre

Yah, I just got back from the movie.

While they handled some scenes well (my mom was crying a few times), they didn't do the show much justice.  They basically touched on the main points and even changed some of them and added crap, all without explaining anything to those who've never seen the show itself.  I had to give my mom the premise of the plot before we went.

Now I have the urge to buy the DVD sets to do the same as Keaton, and educate my family. x3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Caswin

Well, that was... bad.  There's a lot I could say, but my brain is kind of dead right now.

Excuse me, I need some clips from the actual show.  That might help.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Pyrofox

Like many of you I am also very disappointed in the movie.  They skipped over so many events and changed some so drastically that at times I was thoroughly disgusted. When a movie is made based on a book, show, or comic I feel it should follow the original story as closely as possible. I really wanted to like this movie but after watching I have to sadly say I don't think it deserves to have the other movies made.

And as far as Twilight...I'm still trying to figure out where the author came up with sparkling vampires. With all the legends of a vampire's power you would think better vampires could have been made.

Turnsky

Quote from: Pyrofox on July 12, 2010, 07:31:55 PM
Like many of you I am also very disappointed in the movie.  They skipped over so many events and changed some so drastically that at times I was thoroughly disgusted. When a movie is made based on a book, show, or comic I feel it should follow the original story as closely as possible. I really wanted to like this movie but after watching I have to sadly say I don't think it deserves to have the other movies made.

And as far as Twilight...I'm still trying to figure out where the author came up with sparkling vampires. With all the legends of a vampire's power you would think better vampires could have been made.

considering that Frankenstein came about as a result of an LSD trip, i'd say our dear twilight author got into some really bad toilet duck one day.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Darkmoon

But girls like sparkles and girls like vampires so vampires should sparkle.

I think we should all count ourselves lucky Edward didn't ride everywhere on a unicorn. Think of what that would have done to the genre.

Jairus

Quote from: Darkmoon on July 13, 2010, 08:58:10 AM

I think we should all count ourselves lucky Edward didn't ride everywhere on a unicorn. Think of what that would have done to the genre.
An angsty, brooding, 108-year old sparkling virgin vampire riding on a unicorn?

It must be drawn.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Caswin

Quote from: Pyrofox on July 12, 2010, 07:31:55 PMAnd as far as Twilight...I'm still trying to figure out where the author came up with sparkling vampires. With all the legends of a vampire's power you would think better vampires could have been made.
It was based on a dream she had.

Back to the topic: You know one thing I did like?  The Fire Nation characters.  Zuko in particular actually carried a few scenes on what I'm pretty sure was sheer acting ability. (Or, more generally, as I've become fond of saying: Weak plot, neat special effects, and the villain stealing the show?  Must be Avatar.)
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Alondro

Quote from: Jairus on July 13, 2010, 11:19:26 AM

It must be drawn.

And then apply rule 34 and furries... *the mental image kills millions*   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Jairus

Quote from: Alondro on July 13, 2010, 07:24:05 PM

It must be drawn.

Hey, we've already got a werewolf. Why not have Edward turn out to be into dogs? Oh, and add a rainbow in the back. That'll help.

Inumo

Quote from: Jairus on July 13, 2010, 07:36:36 PM
Quote from: Alondro on July 13, 2010, 07:24:05 PM

It must be drawn.

Hey, we've already got a werewolf. Why not have Edward turn out to be into dogs? Oh, and add a rainbow in the back. That'll help.

YES.

On a side note, my bro went to see it recently. With the way they pronounced some of the names, they decided to start calling the movie "Ahvatahr the Lost Ahrbahndahr." I really don't get how they could do all those names wrong. I mean, they had an entire frickin' cartoon to go off of! Meh.