14/05/2010 [DMFA#1117] -The Lesser of two evils and Backhanded compliments

Started by MT Hazard, May 14, 2010, 07:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

Dan's trying, he really is, but given the serious shake-up in his life it may be years, decades even before he comes to terms with everything. Until then he's going to come across as somewhat intolerant.

Edit: is it just me or is Dan's face getting longer?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on May 14, 2010, 07:01:16 AM
Dan's trying, he really is, but given the serious shake-up in his life it may be years, decades even before he comes to terms with everything. Until then he's going to come across as somewhat intolerant.

Well, it might just be a joke that fell flat.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

liari

Talk about damned with faint praise...  Well, at least Dan is trying to overcome (kinda...) his prejudice?  Or at least take into account that Abel is an individual with his own problems and attitudes, and should be judged as such rather than strictly by race.   :U  Still a bit far from tactful, but hey, there was effort!

EDIT: Yea, I've been noticing differences in face shapes; Amber is evolving her arts!  Though...Dan doesn't look too bright in that second panel   :mowdizzy  Not sure if that's because of the change in his face or just because it's Dan being Dan.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Liari on May 14, 2010, 08:07:55 AM
Dan doesn't look too bright in that second panel   :mowdizzy  Not sure if that's because of the change in his face or just because it's Dan being Dan.

If I was in his place I think I'd look like that.  Dan's been trying really hard to overcome his prejudices and he's just discovered that his mentor doesn't particularly like 'Cubi either, even though he is one.  What Abel's saying isn't really helping overcome it, either.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

joshofspam

To be an adventurer thus far in the comic seems to make you blunt.

The only exception thus that I can think of is Azlan. Though when I think of all the adventurers shown they certainly are a  big mix of nuts aren't they?

Summary: Adventureres are people too.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Anker Steadfast

But at least they are talking to each other.

That's a good thing .. right ?  :)

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Brownie

Anyway, back on topic (even though that was...Kinda...on topic. Anyone tell me how to put that in a link with a name?)
Dan's face definitly seems to be getting longer.
And is it just me or is Abel looking more effeminate since comic #1112? At least Dan and Abel have one thing in common: They both aren't very fond of Cubi...

Ketchup-Crumbles

Hm, I'm not sure if I could call it talking to each other. It's more like commenting on something the other said and then randomly jumping to some other topic. That's probably the same way I would be talking to someone I barely know and/or dislike. And while Dan sometimes (like today) strikes me as stupid or insensitive (especially for his age) I know enough people (of the same age), that can behave just like Dan. If Dan were to be a real person I most likely wouldn't try to befriend him or to have anything to with him in general. But for the comic he is a great character :) And I'm hoping he will become wiser and more "mature" as the story goes on. Also I'm curious if and how Abel and Dan will start to get along.

@Brownie:
[url=http://bookstoysgames.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/cthulhu4prez-preview1.png]Link Name[/url]

Jasonrevall

It may have been blunt and it may have not been witty, but he does make a point.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

SpottedKitty

Dan's trying, he really is,

Yes, he is. Very.   ;)

I wonder if Abel's got to the point of wishing he'd brought his baseball bat yet...?
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Dan gets an "A" for effort, but a "D" in delivery..... :<

He definitely could have phrased that better, but we never said adventurers were bright.....  :P

Quote from: SpottedKitty on May 14, 2010, 01:11:59 PM

Yes, he is. Very.   ;)

Indeed! :mowhappy He's at least trying the best way he can and that's all anyone can do; is try their best.  :)

Unsilenced

Remember: "Well you could suck more" is NOT actually a compliment.
Post of the Dead:
"When there is no more room in hell, this thread will walk the earth"

Prof B Hunnydew

This is Dan's problem  And he has not found a solution... This is also Abel, but he never saw himself as a Hero.

Comic 392

Dan, your powers are just a tool, you decide what you do with them... See Fa'lina, she is nice, oh I forgot she hit you over the head at your first meeting.

PBH

Unsilenced

EDIT: Douplepost. Crap.

Well... I got a post here and not much to do with it.

I will now sell this post as advertising space.

WHO WANTS AN ENDORSEMENT FROM SOME RANDOM NOOB ON THE INTERNET!?
Post of the Dead:
"When there is no more room in hell, this thread will walk the earth"

Congo Jack

Quote from: SpottedKitty on May 14, 2010, 01:11:59 PM

Yes, he is. Very.   ;)

I wonder if Abel's got to the point of wishing he'd brought his baseball bat yet...?
He learned from Destania after all.

Kuari

In Dan's defense, Abel does kind of act like a bit of a butthead sometimes :p...  just Dan doesn't really help in that matter.

lilpuppy23

:<

hehe...
Also, I don't really notice Dan's head getting longer. And if it is, it's because Amber is Practicing and that's just where its ending up.

Don't really have much to say here...

liari

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 14, 2010, 08:16:02 AM
Quote from: Liari on May 14, 2010, 08:07:55 AM
Dan doesn't look too bright in that second panel   :mowdizzy  Not sure if that's because of the change in his face or just because it's Dan being Dan.

If I was in his place I think I'd look like that.  Dan's been trying really hard to overcome his prejudices and he's just discovered that his mentor doesn't particularly like 'Cubi either, even though he is one.  What Abel's saying isn't really helping overcome it, either.

True enough.  And yea, at least he is TRYING to get over it, and he knows he's prejudiced, and Abel was right before, too, about it making sense to be racist against the race most likely to randomly pull out your spine because they're bored.  Of course, it must also be taken into account that Abel rather enjoys confusing Dan.

Howl

Infranscia

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on May 14, 2010, 09:34:36 AMBut at least they are talking to each other.

Judging from Abel's last speech bubble, that won't be for long. XD;

At least Dan's trying.  But yeah, he should work on thinking before he speaks.

Not that it would have done much good.  You can only nicen up that 'compliment' so much.
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Escher

"A witty saying proves nothing."
--François-Marie Arouet, "Le dîner du comte de Boulainvilliers"

Anri

Regarding Amber's weather conditions, as the resident thunder kitsune whom also happens to be in the same rough area of southern Ontario, I will neither confirm nor deny any involvement in the creation of thunderstorms in this area.

>_>
<_<

Madmann135

I think Dan meant to say something like "Thanks for being a jerk and not a homicidal lunatic!"
Though in Dan's defense he is a bit bad with words, better with actions.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Anker Steadfast

Shachza

Quote from: Anri on May 14, 2010, 10:34:30 PM
Regarding Amber's weather conditions, as the resident thunder kitsune whom also happens to be in the same rough area of southern Ontario, I will neither confirm nor deny any involvement in the creation of thunderstorms in this area.

>_>
<_<

Can you move to Delaware, USA?  I'm so tired of being skipped over by storms.  They all either go just north or just south of here...  :(

I swear I've got an anti-bad weather bubble centered on me.  Which sucks 'cause I love bad weather.
            <-- #1 that is!

Arcblade

Quote from: Shachza on May 15, 2010, 01:36:45 PM
Quote from: Anri on May 14, 2010, 10:34:30 PM

>_>
<_<

Can you move to Delaware, USA?  I'm so tired of being skipped over by storms.  They all either go just north or just south of here...  :(

I swear I've got an anti-bad weather bubble centered on me.  Which sucks 'cause I love bad weather.

May I suggest moving to Michigan?  Or maybe Seattle or Pittsburgh, if you like rain. 

Anker Steadfast

I hear there's a place nicknamed tornado valley ... should be right up your alley. :)