Ethnic heritage discussion

Started by Techcubi, May 03, 2010, 05:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmoon

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 04, 2010, 12:24:26 AM
I'm so mixed I spent a summer job filling in for the "It's a small world after all" ride while it was under repairs. Just me in a single room singing that over and over again while patrons walked through. :U

And thus the reason for her insanity. Also, weirdly, her love of beets. No real explanation for that.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Cogidubnus

Largely unknown. Probably French.

Jairus

German and Austrian on my Dad's side, unknown on my mom's, possibly Irish.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Keleth

Irish, Scottish, and a bit of native american. When my ancestors landed on the North Americas, they really liked the native ladies. Oh tra la.  And some German.

I am not sure what the percentages are, nor does it matter. . . but now that I think of it. My grandfather had one of those extensive family tree searches done, and has a detailed history of our family back several hundred years.

I should go read it sometime :o
Help! I'm gay!

Alondro

Quote from: Darkmoon Firelyte on May 04, 2010, 12:20:50 AM
Also, kill whitey. *cough* I mean, yay multiculturalism.

*Charle kills himself!*  I killed whitey!  That means I'm cool!  :D  *is also dead, thus his coolness was fleeting and pointless*   :grave

The moral of the story:  Doing something to be 'cool' isn't as cool as it sounds!  And knowing is half the battle!  GI JOEEEEEE!!!

Oh, and I'm pretty much as white as the Pilsbury Doughboy:  German, Irish, Fench, Dutch.  Now, there is a bit of Sicilian, which is likely Jewish in ancestry as the last name is Piperno, from the Latin word for the swallow bird  (when the swallows come baaaaack to Captistranoooo!), and it turns out that Jewish families who emmigrated to Sicily took on last names frequently derived from birds' names for some reason. 
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

ShadesFox

Reading those extensive family tree things is annoying.  My grandfather has one.  I've traced it back to find out that I'm from, essentially all of Europe.  Like, the whole thing.  The vast majority seems to be Irish, English, and Greek.  So I'll drink a lot, be loud about it, then take your wallet.
The All Purpose Fox

Vidar

Difficult to figure out in my case, because my grandmother got knocked up during her late teens by one of her teachers, who then promptly ran off to Canada with his wife, leaving granny to raise my mom on her own.  'A'
My Dad's side of the family is equally murky, and people who know more don't want to talk about it, but I have a hunch it has to do with the fact that both my grandparents from that side had the same last name. BEFORE they got married.  :< *SQUICK*
So, yeah...
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Suwako

75% Dutch ( germanic, with bits from every near euro country ) 25% White south-african ( germanic... )

Ryudo Lee

Mostly cajun french on my dad's side, which includes a fair bit of german and probably some italian too.  On my mom's side is the whole melting pot, some irish, a few sprinkles of... something or other (we're not sure entirely sure, they started in Georgia, got into some trouble, and then moved down to Florida), and a little sioux for flavor.  We're complete and total mutts here.  :3

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Brunhidden

almost pureblood bavarian if you are going by country, but if you want to get technical my ethnic makeup is Visigoth.

to those of you not in the know a visigoth is kinda like a central/southern european version of the viking. however instead of having ships they had advanced metalworking technology, invented chainmaile, and sacked rome
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Brunhidden on May 05, 2010, 12:15:49 AM
almost pureblood bavarian if you are going by country, but if you want to get technical my ethnic makeup is Visigoth.

to those of you not in the know a visigoth is kinda like a central/southern european version of the viking. however instead of having ships they had advanced metalworking technology, invented chainmaile, and sacked rome

Weren't there Visigoths in Spain, too?

Lysander

Both my parents are descended from Danish decent mostly, but a variety of others are mixed in there too. Also, going way back through the genealogy, I'm also related to at least one king and numerous peasants :P.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

Ketchup-Crumbles

German. But I don't know about any mixes that might have happened. I belong to those Germans that lived in the area that's now Poland and then moved to Russia and stayed there for some centuries. I'm told, they stayed in German communities, but who knows ;) Also my granddad firmly believes he is partly Jewish, no proof of that, though.

Passive

Brunhidden

Quote from: Passive on May 07, 2010, 03:08:46 AM
1/24th Apache Indian.

wheres the rest of you?

reminds me of the somewhat offensive joke 'what do you get when you line up 16 cherokee? one full blooded native american'

Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Techcubi

Huh. I'm apparently also Roman, Hun, and Chinese.

Shachza

German, French, Belgian, Dutch, Danish, English, Scottish, possibly Irish too, Norwegian (and likely Swedish/Finnish).  Just start at Switzerland and place the tip of an equilateral triangle there, and the opposite side somewhere near the north pole.  Every country covered by that has donated to my heritage.  Most of my relatives have been traced back to England, but some notable exceptions include a Great Great Great Grandfather from Norway and the most distant relative we have records of is from Belgium.

My family has been in the United States since the Civil War and earlier, however, so at this point I just consider myself 100% United States Mongrel.

P.S.  This message brought to you by the Mormon Geneology records in Salt Lake City.
            <-- #1 that is!

Lostangles

My father and his side of the family is entirely German so far as I know, so that makes up for one half, my mother is technically from eastern Canada, though going back a little further her family is a sort of mash up of Scottish, Irish and Welsh....and somehow skipped jolly old England entirely.
\\\"Hold on tight and keep the loud pedal down\\\"

Drakesfyre

Mostly German, 1/8th Irish, 1/8th British.

Darkmoon

Do not revive dead topics. It warns you that a topic is old for a reason.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... and if you start doing that shit, we start making it our job to make fun of you.

You really don't want us to start that. Some of us have got pretty good at it, by now...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mao

Surely you jest!  The mods, mocking someone?  Never.

Darkmoon

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 11, 2010, 02:39:59 PM
... and if you start doing that shit, we start making it our job to make fun of you.

You really don't want us to start that. Some of us have got pretty good at it, by now...

That's been most of my time online... 13 years so far.

Tapewolf

I wasn't entirely sure if this had been left unlocked for some obscure reason.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yeah. Because I haven't done maintenance in a while.

Nothing more significant than that...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears