Predators

Started by Teroniss, July 10, 2010, 04:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teroniss

That movie was awesome. I remember seeing the first two movies in the theatre as well, and I have to say, I'm glad that the writers of this third movie kept to a similar plot structure rather than going with something too new.

Now before you say "But they're on an alien planet and have multiple Predators after them this time," Yes, I am aware of this, however, the concept of this well trained team of highly armed individuals trekking through a jungle while fending off an unseen enemy was in many way like the first. On top of this, the writers opted not to use all the fancy, and somewhat over the top silly gear that the predators in AvP broke out during those two movies, sticking with twech that we are mostly used to from the first and second movies, as well as the concept that the Predators were actual trophy hunters rather than simply running around killing things willynilly.

Alondro

*animal rights activist*  IT'S CANNED HUNTING!!!!   >:O

*Breaking news!  AETP (Aliens for the Ethical Treatment of People) mounts protests on the Predator aliens' home world against the use of their game reserve planet.*
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Vidar

Is this movie about the same Predator aliens in the movie Alien vs Predator, and is it just as cheesy?

Has anyone made a drinking game off it yet? If so, I might pop it in the dvd-player once the dvd comes out.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Teroniss

Quote from: Vidar on July 14, 2010, 05:51:32 AM
Is this movie about the same Predator aliens in the movie Alien vs Predator, and is it just as cheesy?

Has anyone made a drinking game off it yet? If so, I might pop it in the dvd-player once the dvd comes out.

God I feel old when you young people only remember Predators from the AvP cheesey fan knock off series and not the actual Predator 1 & 2 movies......

Darkmoon

I prefer to think of them as retarded manchildren. Then I don't have to feel old, just superior.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Mao

You were a superior lifeform last I checked, Darkmoon.

Kafzeil

Quote from: Teroniss on July 17, 2010, 08:04:30 AM
God I feel old when you young people only remember Predators from the AvP cheesey fan knock off series and not the actual Predator 1 & 2 movies......

Don't forget the awesome AvP computer games made years before that movie(if you can call it that). I might just be proving your point, but those games actually persuaded me to watch the original Predator. Haven't seen the second, but I've heard mixed things about it.

Should I watch Predator 2 before seeing Predators?
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

Darkmoon

Quote from: Kafzeil on July 17, 2010, 10:42:41 PM

Don't forget the awesome AvP computer games made years before that movie(if you can call it that). I might just be proving your point, but those games actually persuaded me to watch the original Predator. Haven't seen the second, but I've heard mixed things about it.

Should I watch Predator 2 before seeing Predators?

Well, really, if we want to get technical, the AVP line started with comics, not games.

Omega

(I know this is an old topic, but since this place is living so slowly, I'm going to give it a go anyway)

Quote from: Darkmoon on July 17, 2010, 11:16:34 PM

Well, really, if we want to get technical, the AVP line started with comics, not games.
And if you want to get geeky with the technicality, it all started from the Alien comics, which in turn started from the Alien movies, which got their props from the works of great H.R. Giger, who in turn was inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft, who in turn... yada-yada-yada.

God I feel old when you young people only remember Predators from the AvP cheesy fan knock off series and not the actual Predator 1 & 2 movies......
Hey now, I might be young, but I did see the two first Predator movies before the AvP thing-y. Personally I don't understand why people think that Predator II sucks. I think it was the better of the two. Better Predator, better plot, better milieu. Why do the people think that the first one is superior? Is it because there's a black lead in the second? Is that it? You people are such racists  :razz

llearch n'n'daCorna

Nah, it's because we got to see Rowdy Roddy Piper get served in the first. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Darkmoon

Quote from: Omega on August 06, 2010, 07:18:50 AM

And if you want to get geeky with the technicality, it all started from the Alien comics, which in turn started from the Alien movies, which got their props from the works of great H.R. Giger, who in turn was inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft, who in turn... yada-yada-yada.

Predator didn't start in the Aliens series, though. AVP would have started at the point where Aliens and Predators crossed over, which would have been in the comics.

That said, Predator got it's start as an original concept for Rocky V (as mentioned in a Cracked article). The whole point was that, after Rocky beat up his rival, then the guys that killed his rival, then all of Russia, what could Rocky fight next? The joke in Hollywood was that Rocky would have to fight an alien. So someone wrote it, and while no one wanted to make it into a Rocky movie, they rewrote it a few times until it became Predator.

Kafzeil

Quote from: Darkmoon on August 06, 2010, 09:27:36 AM
Quote from: Omega on August 06, 2010, 07:18:50 AM

Predator didn't start in the Aliens series, though. AVP would have started at the point where Aliens and Predators crossed over, which would have been in the comics.

That said, Predator got it's start as an original concept for Rocky V (as mentioned in a Cracked article). The whole point was that, after Rocky beat up his rival, then the guys that killed his rival, then all of Russia, what could Rocky fight next? The joke in Hollywood was that Rocky would have to fight an alien. So someone wrote it, and while no one wanted to make it into a Rocky movie, they rewrote it a few times until it became Predator.

Which is, all things considered, still a much better idea then the Rocky V we got.:B
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

Omega

Quote from: Kafzeil on August 14, 2010, 02:31:54 PM

Which is, all things considered, still a much better idea then the Rocky V we got.:B

The thing about sequels is that people are most likely going to see them because they are already familiar with the story, i.e. it's less risky investment for the producers than something more innovative.