05/01/2010 [DMFA#1112] Teh gay! It's just a show!

Started by Bjalf, May 01, 2010, 03:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bjalf

Abel really is a jerk. And we all love him for it.

Edit:
Hmmm, does Abel know about Dan's feud with Aliph? Or that whole Regina debacle?

Jairus

And now Dan knows that Abel knows something about the Soulstealer family. Also, I wonder if Tina and Melara are important. Hm. But he does know about Aliph as well. Wonder if he met Aliph at some point. Or just did some studying.

Seriously, Dan, could you TRY to be a little more fair to Abel? I bet a LOT of straight people would change the topic regarding potentially uncomfortable situations like old family friends. Jeez, Dan. Be nicer, man, even if you are teasing: Abel's not enough of a friend for you to get away with that.

EDIT: *snaps fingers* Curses! Ninja'ed again!
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Baal Hadad

Straight guys don't retaliate in immature ways when they've been insulted and then the one insulting them only just NOW sees them as worthy because they're full of useful information?

Wow, Dan, you have a LOT to learn....

Not to mention that insulting Abel is NOT the way to get information out of him....

Anri

And that's why Fi took the bowl! Was out of popcorn!

Bjalf

Quote from: Baal Hadad on May 01, 2010, 03:20:58 AM
Wow, Dan, you have a LOT to learn....

Now, I have this theory that Dan is clueless ...   :B

He is probably in The Phoenix Book of Records.

Edit:
The Phoenix are not well known for this, but they make a fiery brew that messes up your speech patterns like nothing else. A sip or two, and nobody understands what you're saying. You speak clearly, no slurring or anything, it's just very difficult to decipher the meaning behind the words.

Zedd

All my children,or as the World turns...I admit I liked a few soaps back then...

Suwako

I never liked soaps in general, sometimes an episode would catch my eye, but following them is just awful. Especially when the consistency between becomes apparent.   :<

Abel really really ... I forget.

Mao

I'm smelling... a lot of incoming over-sensitivity and whining about to be directed at the character of Dan.  For folks crying about understanding and acceptance (or a lack thereof, in this case) on Dan's part, I find it amusing that, after looking at this thread and the last already, people aren't really 1) trying to see it from his point of view and 2) take into consideration the situation.  Those two, while friends, are antagonistic friends.  They find things to dig at one another with.  It's not him necessarily being 'narrow minded' or 'having a lot to learn'...it's him trying to dig at Abel.  I'm pretty sure this conversation if held with Jyrras would not be so antagonistic.

Congo Jack

You know, Dan, Pyroduck's still dress 'manly', so you can go ask him to lend you some.
Just don't forget to knock.  :)

Turnsky

Quote from: Mao Laoren on May 01, 2010, 07:42:44 AM
I'm smelling... a lot of incoming over-sensitivity and whining about to be directed at the character of Dan.  For folks crying about understanding and acceptance (or a lack thereof, in this case) on Dan's part, I find it amusing that, after looking at this thread and the last already, people aren't really 1) trying to see it from his point of view and 2) take into consideration the situation.  Those two, while friends, are antagonistic friends.  They find things to dig at one another with.  It's not him necessarily being 'narrow minded' or 'having a lot to learn'...it's him trying to dig at Abel.  I'm pretty sure this conversation if held with Jyrras would not be so antagonistic.

i.e: they really do get along like brothers, they generally dig at each-other in jest.. for example, a certain Shakespearian arachnid to Abel's face way back when.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Toast

I'd imagine either Tina or Merlara is Regina's mom? Could be wrong though. :3

I like how Dan is so judgemental about everthing. I knew he was racist but I didn't really think about it until now; it's a neat character quirk. :D

DMFA reader since 2000!

Bjalf

Quote from: Toast on May 01, 2010, 09:05:03 AM
I'd imagine either Tina or Merlara is Regina's mom? Could be wrong though. :3
I'd have guessed sisters.

I like how Dan is so judgemental about everthing. I knew he was racist but I didn't really think about it until now; it's a neat character quirk. :D
He kind of bypasses the brain when he speaks. Dan's motto is: Thinking before you speak is like wiping before you take a du... ouch ... who threw that?

Edit:
Quote from: Turnsky on May 01, 2010, 08:07:42 AM
i.e: they really do get along like brothers, they generally dig at each-other in jest.. for example, a certain Shakespearian arachnid to Abel's face way back when.
Looking at today's strip, with Queen on the stereo ... gods, that's just hilarious.   :U

Lucheek

Well, its a good thing Soulstealer isn't a common name.

and I'm really intrested in seeing Tina and Merlara now.

Naldru

Could Tina and Merlara be younger relatives of Kria who Abel played with as a child?

Notice that Lorenda's name wasn't mentioned.  I guess Abel doesn't know that Lorenda is a Soulstealer.  He also probably doesn't know that Aliph is the Dark Pegasus who recently attacked Dan.

Could the names have been a list of people that Abel is going to have dinner with along with a few other family friends?
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Suwako

Quote from: Naldru on May 01, 2010, 11:33:34 AM
Notice that Lorenda's name wasn't mentioned.  I guess Abel doesn't know that Lorenda is a Soulstealer.  He also probably doesn't know that Aliph is the Dark Pegasus who recently attacked Dan.

Abel's knowledge of the soulstealer family is dated, probably to the time in which he lived in zinith himself.

Icalasari

But didn't Dan also stop talking and get sucked into the show the first time he walked in?
Quote from: MT Hazard on January 08, 2011, 10:54:19 AM
Warning! This cubi has encountered an unknown error and needs to restart
Do you wish to start in safe mode ? Y/N
Loading last known good configuration.....
Loading WinMows....

Ry

Eh- Dan's being Dan, not really worth annoyance.
I'm eye-rolling because we already established that Abel isn't gay, and I'm guessing Dan's only assuming because 1. "If you aren't straight you must be gay!" (gag) and 2. "Jyrras likes you- and gay guys can't like straight guys! Even though he also liked me...  :<". As I said- Dan being Dan.

Also, yeah, Abel's a jerk. He acts like a Jerk. He does Jerky things. And he would even if he were straight. Because he's Abel.

Quote from: Icalasari on May 01, 2010, 12:52:02 PM
But didn't Dan also stop talking and get sucked into the show the first time he walked in?
I think there was a commercial break that broke the spell.

joshofspam

Quote from: Mao Laoren on May 01, 2010, 07:42:44 AM

Or who could forget the garden that Alexis sent the two boys to work on?

I don't know if Dan really has a problem with gays or just has some misconception of them. He did seem more concerned for Jyrras's safety then Jyrras being gay. So I think its more a case of Dan engaging his mouth first and then thinking, then anything else.

Dan has problems dealing with things he isn't to familiar with. Like being a creature instead of a being, miss conceptions because of what is said of the cubi race, and finding out about Jyrras's like for Abel. Yeah their might be a little bit of prejudice in there, but with Regina and Dark Pegasus it isn't suprising.

There might even be a problem that Dan has had no experience with the subject at least until his talk on the bench with Jy-Jy. Maybe this is another of those life lesson's for Dan. God knows he's going to need them for a school of shape shifters.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Psychedelic Mushroom

Meep.  :) Tis taking me a while to get used to Dan's thicker chin. But it looks good!!  :3 Keep up ze work Miss Amber!! :goamber
Anyways-
What is Dan's deal? He seemed all nice to Jyrras about the gay-talk. But he seems like he's bashing Abel for it. But maybe it's because Abel and Dan have never been quite nice to each other in the begining.. Hm. I wanna see if Abel will snap at him or not.  :P

Ry

Quote from: joshofspam on May 01, 2010, 12:59:49 PMI don't know if Dan really has a problem with gays or just has some misconception of them. He did seem more concerned for Jyrras's safety then Jyrras being gay. So I think its more a case of Dan engaging his mouth first and then thinking, then anything else.
I think it's mostly misconceptions. "The part about liking other men?" "I'm sure that's a minor detail"  :mowwink

For all his hang-ups, prejudice, and failure to think things through- Dan's actually pretty tolerant. I mean, he's racist against cubi but didn't particularly hate Aaryanna, even though she was trying to kill him. His main issue with her even later was that he wasn't ready to accept himself as cubi and she was trying to force him to because she's all cubi-pride.
The only person in the Cubi academy he tried to fight was Fa'- who kind of kidnapped him, and it wasn't even a vengeful thing like it was with Regina. It seemed more of a that's the way things are done.

Quote from: Professor Fate on May 01, 2010, 01:36:28 PM
Meep.  :) Tis taking me a while to get used to Dan's thicker chin. But it looks good!!  :3 Keep up ze work Miss Amber!! :goamber
Anyways-
What is Dan's deal? He seemed all nice to Jyrras about the gay-talk. But he seems like he's bashing Abel for it. But maybe it's because Abel and Dan have never been quite nice to each other in the begining.. Hm. I wanna see if Abel will snap at him or not.  :P
He's not bashing Abel. He's just displaying ignorance and misconceptions (hell- the idea that Abel is gay is a misconception) as well as getting annoyed at someone that he's always had a bad relationship with. As I said in my last post- it's very eyeroll inducing, but it's not really awful. We haven't seen many Jy-Dan interactions since the whole coming out thing, but the ones we have were pretty positive, Dan hasn't shown any signs of being really homophobic.

Dan's being a bit of an idiot as Abel pointed out (oh, yes, wearing "gay clothes" is what makes you gay)- and his wording is about as poor as you'd expect an ignorant person's wording to be about such things. But the intent behind it isn't bashing.

Drayco84

Dan obviously has little experience with TV, most ANYONE will ignore somebody that's annoying them when the commercial break's over. I, however, have more important concerns...

Like how the heck did Fi refill that bowl of popcorn so fast without eating half of it?

Bjalf

Quote from: joshofspam on May 01, 2010, 12:59:49 PM
Or who could forget the garden that Alexis sent the two boys to work on?
It's probably still on fire.

Quote from: Drayco84 on May 01, 2010, 01:52:49 PM
Like how the heck did Fi refill that bowl of popcorn so fast without eating half of it?
He made two bowls, of course!

Infranscia

*looks up the simple Soulstealer family tree*  Hmm...  Looks like it pretty much only shows what's needed to show Regina's relation to the others with nothing extra.  Regina's not close enough to the line for her to have any close relation to someone with the Soulstealer name, I guess.

Seems to me that at least one of the two names is probably Lorenda's grandmother, married into the family, with the other being the great-aunt shown as her grandfather's sister.  I'm thinking it may also be vaguely possible for 'Melara' to be a guy (we don't know that much about creature naming), and thus Mel could be the grandfather, but it's iffy.
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Tapewolf

Since letting Dan out of his sight almost got him killed the last time, I'm not sure Abel's response here is particularly sensible when his charge is obviously hell-bent on doing something bizarre.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Drayco84

Or he COULD be planning on tagging along this time... Maybe claiming himself to be Dan's boyfriend if he thinks that'll let him in...

Who would've thought polyamory could be so FUN?! (And by FUN, I mean LUDICRISLY AWKWARD!)

ooklah

Abel looks like he's sitting on a matilda skinned couch.  :U
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Shachza

Kria, Aliph, Melara, TINA?

I'm pretty interested in her story just because her name is so...  ordinary...

You think she got made fun of for having a funny, ordinary name like that?  Hmmmmm...   :.

P.S.  Don't mind the peanut gallery over here.
            <-- #1 that is!

Rambon

Quote from: Bjalf on May 01, 2010, 09:27:24 AM
Edit:
Looking at today's strip, with Queen on the stereo ... gods, that's just hilarious.   :U

I must agree with you on the Hilarious part... especially reading the last panel with it on.

Quote from: Ry on May 01, 2010, 01:51:33 PM

I think it's mostly misconceptions. "The part about liking other men?" "I'm sure that's a minor detail"  :mowwink

I thought that that Amber has told us that that chapter never happened in the main Dmfa Story-line?

TheZombie

The name Tina stands out from the others.  I wonder if the Tina character stands out from her family, or if it's just a rose being a rose.  But it's sorta like if Cthulu had a brother named Bob.

Merlin

Quote from: Infranscia on May 01, 2010, 02:19:49 PM
*looks up the simple Soulstealer family tree*  Hmm...  Looks like it pretty much only shows what's needed to show Regina's relation to the others with nothing extra.  Regina's not close enough to the line for her to have any close relation to someone with the Soulstealer name, I guess.

Seems to me that at least one of the two names is probably Lorenda's grandmother, married into the family, with the other being the great-aunt shown as her grandfather's sister.  I'm thinking it may also be vaguely possible for 'Melara' to be a guy (we don't know that much about creature naming), and thus Mel could be the grandfather, but it's iffy.

No way. If we're going to be wildly speculating, we gotta go the whole haul. They're all clearly Kria's identical twins. Er, quadruplets.

Yes, even Aliph.

obviously the family tree is lacking some detail, but I assure you this is probably correct