why no webcomic sites

Started by tumaru, April 06, 2010, 11:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tumaru

I was wondering why there wasn't anywhere to vote for webcomic review site like many of my webcomics have.

Arcblade

I'm thinking it's because DMFA is already quite popular, and continues to grow by word of mouth. 

Amber Williams

I've never really been a big fan of the topwebcomic or other various things where I sign up and try to rank myself against other comics to try to get the best adspace.  I've never really been a competitive person and the idea of trying to rank myself or gain votes feels uneasy to me.

I just do what I do. Be it for 10 readers or 10 thousand.  I haven't even checked the site stats in years.

tumaru

That's cool and probably best anyway.

I just ask cause I love your comic so much I want other people to find it too so that they can enjoy it too.

Anker Steadfast

The main way to get a webcomic to become popular, is oddly enough incredibly simple - Update often and perhaps tell a good story.
But update often really is the crux of the matter, and DMFA updates often - And it's popular. :)

Quote from: Amber Williams on April 07, 2010, 01:59:29 AMI haven't even checked the site stats in years.

Doooo Eeeeet!!    >:3

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Alondro

As I've known Amber from her very first furry convention (Anthrocon, when still in Philly) when she stood timidly in the registration line, I know that at heart she is still a meek little soul terrified of stardom.

Were the world to suddenly discover that she was #1 in webcomics someday, there would be a flood of geek reporters, possibly also from Vanity Fair, MTV, and then perhaps a CSI episode.

And Amber would go 'squeak' and hide under the bed for several years afterward, fearful of even being seen.

;)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Mao

Heck, I speak to her regularly and I can tell you: she still squeaks and hides at the sound of praise or adoration.  While it's fun to torment her with it (well that and how cute her sneezes/coughs/yawns/sniffles are) it honestly does make her a bit uncomfortable from what I've seen and it just makes her fearful of not being able to live up to it.  Putting her comic on that list is so counter to the way she thinks that even folks who know her would be weirded out if she did it.

Seriously though.. if you ever hear her sneeze/cough/yawn/sniffle make it a point to tell her how cute it is.  The reaction is hilarious.

In retrospect I shouldn't have posted that in her own forum.  I'm probably going to pay for this.. but I'm sure that will be cute too. ;-)

bradypodidae

"That is soooo cute. You are so adorable" - (paraphrasing) overheard on a Sunday Failcast after an Amber sneeze/yawn.
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Mao

I would repeat her response to my saying that, but people can just go hear it for themselves in the archives/clips. XD

Turnsky

Quote from: Mao Laoren on April 07, 2010, 12:08:35 PM
I would repeat her response to my saying that, but people can just go hear it for themselves in the archives/clips. XD

i can hear it in my mind.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

bradypodidae

Quote from: Mao Laoren on April 07, 2010, 12:08:35 PM

Yup, was the first and second clip heard when the clips were playing(?).

wait, have I hijacked/derailed this thread?
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Mao

Nah, it was on it's way off the rails before you posted.

Trazz

Quote from: Mao Laoren on April 07, 2010, 01:01:21 PM
Nah, it was on it's way off the rails before you posted.

Since we're going off the rails, I might as well mention that now I have the song Crazy Train stuck in my head

Ghostwish

Quote from: Mao Laoren on April 07, 2010, 09:59:38 AM
Seriously though.. if you ever hear her sneeze/cough/yawn/sniffle make it a point to tell her how cute it is.  The reaction is hilarious.

Duly noted. :D

Tangent

Quote from: Amber Williams on April 07, 2010, 01:59:29 AM
I've never really been a big fan of the topwebcomic or other various things where I sign up and try to rank myself against other comics to try to get the best adspace.  I've never really been a competitive person and the idea of trying to rank myself or gain votes feels uneasy to me.

I just do what I do. Be it for 10 readers or 10 thousand.  I haven't even checked the site stats in years.
All I know, Amber, is that whenever you do one of your cute self-deprecating little links to Tangents after one of my reviews, I get a couple thousand visits from your site. Considering that only a fraction of your readers will click that link... you've a very decent readership. (Most sites only send a few dozen readers my way after a review, or maybe a hundred. Yours is pretty much the big fish of the sites that did link me after being reviewed.)

But I also suspect that the reason you've a following is because you're telling your story, not something you think people want to read. That, and you include author-inserts that are amusing. =^-^=
Robert A. Howard, Tangents Reviews
http://www.tangents.us

tumaru

Ok that sounds reasonable. Sounds like a lot of fun happened since I was last here.
:mowtongue I hope everything goes well and everybody is happy with what they have.

Anker Steadfast

Heh, this thread is now so offtopic, it has gone offroading in a HUGE 4x4.  :D

Tangent

Hello? Guy named Tangent here. Of COURSE it went off-topic! :mwaha
Robert A. Howard, Tangents Reviews
http://www.tangents.us

Naldru

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on April 08, 2010, 12:33:33 PM
Heh, this thread is now so offtopic, it has gone offroading in a HUGE 4x4.  :D
This is a DMFA forum.  I suspect that they used an 8x8.  When it comes to going off-topic, we don't stint.

I am currently working at the Amtrak engineering department.  They strongly discourage derailments.  (Unless the train being derailed was derailed because it would otherwise crash into a passenger train.)  Events like the 1895 train derailment in Paris are especially frowned upon.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Naldru on April 08, 2010, 10:58:33 PM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on April 08, 2010, 12:33:33 PMHeh, this thread is now so offtopic, it has gone offroading in a HUGE 4x4.  :D
This is a DMFA forum.  I suspect that they used an 8x8.  When it comes to going off-topic, we don't stint.

I am currently working at the Amtrak engineering department.  They strongly discourage derailments.  (Unless the train being derailed was derailed because it would otherwise crash into a passenger train.)  Events like the 1895 train derailment in Paris are especially frowned upon.

Yes, well, as far as derailments go, the Paris derailment was an epic one.

For armchair generals like us though, a tankchair is probably enough

:D

Drayco84

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on April 08, 2010, 12:33:33 PM
Heh, this thread is now so offtopic, it has gone offroading in a HUGE 4x4.  :D
This is a DMFA forum.  I suspect that they used an 8x8.  When it comes to going off-topic, we don't stint.
*Bookmarks the link.*
Thanks, I'll be using that site for research later. But, I'll raise you THIS. (I could use some of those super-SUVs for traffic...)

Scow2

Why it doesn't compete?
Amber doesn't care how many people read the comic, as she noted above.

Why it doesn't compete for Adspace?
DMFA doesn't need banners to advertise. Almost every respectable comic aware of its furry connections do the advertising for it through cameos.

Damaris

Amusingly, she doesn't do anything with it, and she doesn't promote it, but she's still #31 on the webcomic list.

So, 31 out of 15,587.  Not too shabby, folks.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Drayco84 on April 09, 2010, 12:37:55 AM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on April 08, 2010, 12:33:33 PMHeh, this thread is now so offtopic, it has gone offroading in a HUGE 4x4.  :D
This is a DMFA forum.  I suspect that they used an 8x8.  When it comes to going off-topic, we don't stint.
*Bookmarks the link.*
Thanks, I'll be using that site for research later. But, I'll raise you THIS. (I could use some of those super-SUVs for traffic...)

If I was to go for an ex-military offroader, I'd love to have a Kraz 255B
The bloody thing looks like it's about to go to war even when it's parked.

VAE

IMHO Praga V3S looks way more awesome.... and is a lot cheaper too :D
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Drayco84

You misunderstand, I'm referring to the vehicles with the cannons on them... Yes, I know that they remove the firing mechanisms before shipping them out, but you can find all kinds of stuff from military surplus... Plus, in the event of zombie attack, I'll have one of the most popular rides on the planet. (For traffic, I'll have to settle for a box of hammers.)

EDIT: LINK IS NSFW! NSFW! Ehn-Ess-Eff-Double yuu! That is all.

Anker Steadfast

I dunno - it looks old, surely, and ex military, for sure ... but it just doesn't impress me.
Also, the Kraz 255B is well known for good offroad abilities and it's BIG, that's part of the charm for me.

In this video there's a bunch of old military vehicles driving around in muddy places, including a Kraz 255B, and at 2:35 or so you can get a fair idea of it's size.
I mean, if you're gonna get an old ex-military vehicle, at least it should be BIG.

VAE

PV3S was used (and is) by civillians too, and the army is selling them now to replace with Tatra 603, so it is quite available.

if you want heavy, what about MAZ 525 - mere 25 tonnes

or better , bielorussian BELAZ, 280 tonne capacity

http://visualrian.com/images/item/79750 for better image
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Anker Steadfast

Any civilian that buys an ex-military vehicle privately, is simply out to buy a Big Toy to play with.

But yes, many ex-military trucks especially find their ways into the logging industry, because they are capable of fording small rivers and sometimes more (what is that guy doing on the roof, inhaling exhaust? ), and navigate hills with little trouble.

Oh - and the PV3S does make an excellent toy, I'll give you that. :)

Note :
ok, ok, so I got a little link happy there - but dagnabbit, offroading trucks are fun to watch. :D

Edit :
Dangit, I just have to add this old propaganda movie, just because of how cheesy it is - Look how they "prove" the superiority of the new truck with the fact that the old trucks need to have a fire build under the engine in order to start them up. Hilarious. :D

Scrap Fish

Quote from: Drayco84 on April 09, 2010, 12:37:55 AM
You know, I was wondering just the other day how collectors procured tanks and such...
...And I think I just spotted my new commute vehicle. Dana self-propelled artillery, here I come!  :eager

Just spreading the confusion around. There's enough for everybody!