03/19/10 [Clan Leaders #10] Oh, there she is...

Started by Sunblink, March 19, 2010, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunblink

Omg it's CYRAAA--wait, what. WHAT.

I was not expecting to read that stuff... especially not the population. All of this stuff - it explains so much, and yet explains so little. :< So this is why Destania needs to remain in hiding. And this is why the Dragon-Cubi War started.

Wow.

WOW.

Cue rampant speculation!

Oh, I love Cubi Clan Leaders.

Tapewolf

Woah, heavy.

Now, the interesting thing is of course that there are two members.  Presumably Cyra doesn't count.  Otherwise something rather odd is going on.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

tikitori

Cyra doesn't count-or it's unknown about Dan, who was only born roughly 25 years ago. This is done by Mink-and even he is unsure if Cyra even exists.

Also: This explains a lot. :(

Edit-I wonder if Aniz had more reason to hit Destania besides the whole 'you held me back' story.

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

I wonder if she soul ate some dragons to quicken her ascension to tri-wing status............that would probably make any dragon mad!  >:O

Reese Tora

Quote from: tikitori on March 19, 2010, 12:05:47 PM
Cyra doesn't count-or it's unknown about Dan, who was only born roughly 25 years ago. This is done by Mink-and even he is unsure if Cyra even exists.

In other words, unreliable narrator.

It's easy to forget that this is not necessarily 100% true word of god from Amber, it's a research paper by Mink.

yeah, I was gonna comment about clan strength of 2 as well. :<
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Psaakyrn

Alternatively, we don't even know when this report was done. Given the timeframe that we know Mink, it may have been done before Dan was born.

Though I still think the most likely answer is that the leaders aren't counted.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Garsemor

Interresting, Cyra seams to be the second smalest clan after Siar. Also a page that comes to mind here is page 936 http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_936.php

MT Hazard

Knowing Cyra's past I do wonder how other cubi will react to Dan, a direct relation to not only one of the scariest teachers in SAIA but grandson of a clan leader who nearly got them all wiped out. Of course they have to find out first, but given Dan's record for foot in mouth disorder...
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Reese Tora on March 19, 2010, 12:08:24 PM
Quote from: tikitori on March 19, 2010, 12:05:47 PM

In other words, unreliable narrator.

It's easy to forget that this is not necessarily 100% true word of god from Amber, it's a research paper by Mink.

yeah, I was gonna comment about clan strength of 2 as well. :<
Seeing how quickly he did it, I think he just copy-and-pasted it from whataver equivalent of the internet they had at the time
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Psaakyrn

Quote from: MT Hazard on March 19, 2010, 12:25:31 PM
Knowing Cyra's past I do wonder how other cubi will react to Dan, a direct relation to not only one of the scariest teachers in SAIA but grandson of a clan leader who nearly got them all wiped out. Of course they have to find out first, but given Dan's record for foot in mouth disorder...

That's a big assumption you are making there. Just because the last pin on the haystack caused it to topple, doesn't mean that the pin itself is at fault. Incidently, I suspect that the method of Cyra's ascension, and the reason why said ascension caused the whole war is related to the other clan ability not mentioned here: the ability to block scrying.

MT Hazard

Quote from: Psaakyrn on March 19, 2010, 12:39:40 PM
Quote from: MT Hazard on March 19, 2010, 12:25:31 PM

That's a big assumption you are making there. Just because the last pin on the haystack caused it to topple, doesn't mean that the pin itself is at fault. Incidently, I suspect that the method of Cyra's ascension, and the reason why said ascension caused the whole war is related to the other clan ability not mentioned here: the ability to block scrying.

True, but you can't always rely on people (or cubi) to think logical. There is also the fact his clan affinity is pain, the fact he is a former adventurer (and son of a former adventurer). I think its a big optimistic to think his time in SAIA will be trouble free.

And yes the scry blocking may be connected, good job for remembering that.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Mao

Quote from: Jack McSlay on March 19, 2010, 12:38:08 PM
Seeing how quickly he did it, I think he just copy-and-pasted it from whataver equivalent of the internet they had at the time

http://missmab.com/Demo/Leader01.php

If he did, he failed.  Says there that he can't use the internet.

Feather Dancer

Shoving aside all the debate over the info for a sec, she does look rather lovely in that dress.
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Mao

Quote from: Feather Dancer on March 19, 2010, 01:01:08 PM
Shoving aside all the debate over the info for a sec, she does look rather lovely in that dress.

Oh man, I know.  I love the design on the front and the expression on her face.. Love it <3.

ChaosMageX

It's about time we saw Dan's Clan's Leader.  She does look awesome in that dress, and I love the strong family resemblance between her and Dan.

Icon by Sunblink

Psaakyrn

Quote from: ChaosMageX on March 19, 2010, 01:31:57 PM
It's about time we saw Dan's Clan's Leader.  She does look awesome in that dress, and I love the strong family resemblance between her and Dan.

She also appeared at http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1000.php for reference.

Jasonrevall

Quote from: Feather Dancer on March 19, 2010, 01:01:08 PM

She does look rather fantastic in that outfit. I also love her hair.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

VAE

http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,1676.msg67227.html#msg67227

Here, this shows Destainia is 7026 y/o, and it is a rather undisputable source.
Now the Mink's paper says cyra is 7000 years old.
Either there is something extremely fishy going on , or Mink's paper is worse than some wikipedia articles
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Feather Dancer

Quote from: danman on March 19, 2010, 01:59:41 PM
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,1676.msg67227.html#msg67227

Here, this shows Destainia is 7026 y/o, and it is a rather undisputable source.
Now the Mink's paper says cyra is 7000 years old.
Either there is something extremely fishy going on , or Mink's paper is worse than some wikipedia articles

The ages were rounded down to the nearest thousand according to the * on Kish'ta's entry so she could have had Dee/the other nuked kids "fairly young".

Infranscia

I actually find it funny with how surprised people are to see that the clan strength is '2.'  Awhile back, when re-rereading the Return of Dark Pegusus arc (I find DMFA enjoyable, even after the first time, sue me), I noticed that in this comic, Cyra says, and I quote: "Only Destania remains, and she has long since given up the ability to dream."  So I figured the clan strength would be listed as either two or three.

I didn't bring it up since the comic was already into Paint the Town Red, and I felt it would a choice between necroing old threads, or bringing up unrelated topic.  I guess either I reread my favorite arcs more often than the current active forumites, I pay more attention to rants/rambles than most.

Funny how the scry-blocking isn't mentioned.  I guess either it was considered more widely-known, less-notable, or Mink didn't bother doing more than three facts.

On notes of appearance, she seems to like those orbs on her hair.   I wonder what they're made of, how heavy they are, and if they serve any purpose other than appearance?  I also just noticed that she has reeeaaaly long hair.

Anyone else notice that the clan symbol is missing?  I had previously assumed that not all clan leaders have the symbol on their chest, but I guess either they're just not shown in this report, or Aaryanna was right in that some stronger Cubi can hide their clan symbols (I checked the LiveJournal just yesterday).

On the age, I guess she was relatively young when she ascended.  That or it's the age of the clan, rather than the leader.
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

VAE

Hmm, the smallest will be Fa'lina's clan with membership of 1
Besides how would mink know Dan is Destainia's son (or that she had any kids at all...)
Makes me wonder how the war started though.
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

jeffh4

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 19, 2010, 12:03:10 PM
Woah, heavy.

Now, the interesting thing is of course that there are two members.  Presumably Cyra doesn't count.  Otherwise something rather odd is going on.

Actually there are a few possibilities:

1) Cyra and Destania
2) Destania and Dan
3) Destania and <Insert Mystery Guest Name Here>

All of the counts are "members" not "known members," so I would conclude that Cubi have some way of knowing exactly how many there are of each clan. Not quite as infallible as the Fae, but still. Though this count may or may not include cubi that have not yet manifested their clan marking.

I suppose we'll get our answer when we see Fa'Lina's page.  Her Clan members will either be zero or one, and that will clear things up (maybe).

No speculation yet on what the linchpin was?  OK, here's a theory:  Cyra convinced a dragon to give up all his wealth to charity.   This task, once considered to be impossible, created great animosity directed from Dragons towards all Cubi.  Compared to that accomplishment, achieving tri-wing status was as simple as pie.

So I wonder if there are any male clan leaders at all?  

VAE

Quote from: jeffh4 on March 19, 2010, 02:17:08 PM
Woah, heavy.

Now, the interesting thing is of course that there are two members.  Presumably Cyra doesn't count.  Otherwise something rather odd is going on.

1) Cyra and Destania
2) Destania and Dan

All of the counts are "members" not "known members," so I would conclude that Cubi have some way of knowing exactly how many there are of each clan.  Though this may or may not include cubi that have not yet manifested their clan marking.
Ehm... No.
It writes they are not even so sure whether she is alive, as she has not shown up much (apparently Mink is among those who do think she is) but they would have the exact number of members, like the agent-board in that film with terence hill and bud spencer :D
I think this comes to Mink's lack of academic rigor ... let's face it, how many of you have been so careful when writing university coursework?

Quote from: Garsemor on March 19, 2010, 12:14:07 PM
Interresting, Cyra seams to be the second smalest clan after Siar.

You're forgetting Fa'Lina's clan. 

No speculation yet on what the linchpin was?  OK, here's a theory:  Cyra convinced a dragon to give up all his wealth to charity.   This task, once considered to be impossible, created great animosity directed from Dragons towards all Cubi.  Compared to that accomplishment, achieving tri-wing status was as simple as pie.

So I wonder if there are any male clan leaders at all? 

You win the thread!
That is funniest suggestion evar!
Saphroneth

Feather Dancer

Woah, heavy.

Now, the interesting thing is of course that there are two members.  Presumably Cyra doesn't count.  Otherwise something rather odd is going on.

1) Cyra and Destania
2) Destania and Dan

All of the counts are "members" not "known members," so I would conclude that Cubi have some way of knowing exactly how many there are of each clan. Not quite as infallible as the Fae, but still. Though this count may or may not include cubi that have not yet manifested their clan marking.

On the members thing there's this snippet from from Zezzuva's profile, "It is suspected that actual clan strength is higher than reported." I think it's known members, mean wouldn't surprise me if some clans like to boast about it and sure SAIA has a record to some degree of ones that have been there.

And supposedly there IS male Tri-wings, just less of them if I recall correctly :)

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Feather Dancer on March 19, 2010, 02:01:48 PM

The ages were rounded down to the nearest thousand according to the * on Kish'ta's entry so she could have had Dee/the other nuked kids "fairly young".

Something else: when you add in what Fa'lina said about Destania "when she was Dan's age", about the time of the founding of SAIA, a lot of things have been going on in that short time period. Cyra's birth, her splitting from whatever her birth clan was, whatever she did to ascend (and I'm sure we all have our suspicions), the war itself, SAIA...

... and I've just realised Abel's "potted history" of the 'Cubi race might not have meant quite what we've thought all along. Take a few suspicions and speculations, slot them into the gaps, and things get interesting.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

VAE

Quote from: SpottedKitty on March 19, 2010, 02:27:34 PM
Quote from: Feather Dancer on March 19, 2010, 02:01:48 PM

Something else: when you add in what Fa'lina said about Destania "when she was Dan's age", about the time of the founding of SAIA, a lot of things have been going on in that short time period. Cyra's birth, her splitting from whatever her birth clan was, whatever she did to ascend (and I'm sure we all have our suspicions), the war itself, SAIA...

... and I've just realised Abel's "potted history" of the 'Cubi race might not have meant quite what we've thought all along. Take a few suspicions and speculations, slot them into the gaps, and things get interesting.

Wreg to the comics , i would suspect she had Aniz syndrome (wanted to go out and help her clanmembers) Must have been frustrating....
Saphroneth

Feather Dancer

Quote from: SpottedKitty on March 19, 2010, 02:27:34 PM

Just a FYI, your second link is the same Fa'Lina link :)

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Feather Dancer on March 19, 2010, 02:30:57 PM

Just a FYI, your second link is the same Fa'Lina link :)

Whups, fimble-fungered cut'n'paste strikes again. Fixed, thanks.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Tapewolf

Quote from: danman on March 19, 2010, 02:14:30 PM

Or zero, if the leader isn't counted.

I think Amber said that there were two Cyra members that we know of.  I was wondering if we would get a 2 or a 3 in the official entry.
I strongly suspect that a Tri-Wing knows how many are in her/his clan, but otherwise it's probably guesswork and whatever SAIA knows about.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

VAE

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 19, 2010, 02:44:55 PM
Quote from: danman on March 19, 2010, 02:14:30 PM

Or zero, if the leader isn't counted.

Hmm, i am coming from the fact that 0 is a logical amount of members to assign to an extinct clan.
Saphroneth