03/19/10 [Clan Leaders #10] Oh, there she is...

Started by Sunblink, March 19, 2010, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les

Quote from: Professor Fate on March 19, 2010, 08:46:54 PM
This is off topic from Cyra, But I think I may have just figured out Fa'lina's affinity. Perhaps an affinity for Maternal Love? Eh? She goes beserkers over children and babies.. So it's a possibility eh? Anyways.

You're not the only one to have suggested Love, in some form, was Fa'lina's affinity.   :hug

As for Cyra and the Dragon-War... I'd previously theorized that `Cubi were at one point millenia ago consciously or unconsciously tapping into a vast power-source which made Tri-Wing ascension relatively easy and that this source was claimed by or otherwise under the stewardship of the Dragons, who were none too pleased by this.  (Dragons hoard wealth and knowledge, that they'd hoard magical energy is not that far a stretch.)  Plans would no doubt be made to cut the `Cubi off, perhaps even a treaty signed between the Dragons and various `Cubi clans, then one day...

Cyra: "Screw this..."

o/~ Estuans interius o/~
o/~ Ira vehementi   o/~
o/~ Estuans interius o/~
o/~ Ira vehementi   o/~
o/~ Cyra-Roth       o/~

o/~ Cyra-Roth       o/~
Long live Space Race, Long live... Molvania!

RandomMetaphysics

Quote from: Les on March 19, 2010, 09:13:16 PM
As for Cyra and the Dragon-War... I'd previously theorized that `Cubi were at one point millenia ago consciously or unconsciously tapping into a vast power-source which made Tri-Wing ascension relatively easy and that this source was claimed by or otherwise under the stewardship of the Dragons, who were none too pleased by this.  (Dragons hoard wealth and knowledge, that they'd hoard magical energy is not that far a stretch.)  Plans would no doubt be made to cut the `Cubi off, perhaps even a treaty signed between the Dragons and various `Cubi clans, then one day...

Cyra: "Screw this..."

Something tells me that since Cyra ascended at such a young age, she wouldn't do something brazen, at least not intentionally. From the information on her page, Cyra must have been, and still is, one of the smartest and most resourceful Cubi out there. She is a forced to be reckoned with - both among Dragons and Cubi, as it would seem...
I'm getting the feeling that even the Cubi fear Cyra somewhat.

Then again, this is my inner crazy speaking. Theorize at your own risk.

Nino

I wonder if the twist to Cyra is that while she may have eaten a dragon's soul to ascend (as people are speculating at least), perhaps he/she was a really evil one. So it could have been justified. /shrug

I just have a hunch there's more to the story than her just being power-hungry, but then again I've never been good at predicting this stuff =p

Kibin

Perhaps the wings represent the number of creatures in the hybrid. They normally have two sets of wings from their Angel and Demon sides. Tri-wing, therefore, would be from a third powerful creature race such as a dragon.

As there's already a ritual involved in making a not-cubi a cubi, maybe a similar ritual would have to take place here, possibly involving the death of the creature heritage to be 'added'.

This also explains the draconic heads as well. This is just my wild guess.

Shachza

Quote from: Kattuccino on March 19, 2010, 09:33:58 PM
I wonder if the twist to Cyra is that while she may have eaten a dragon's soul to ascend (as people are speculating at least), perhaps he/she was a really evil one. So it could have been justified. /shrug

I just have a hunch there's more to the story than her just being power-hungry, but then again I've never been good at predicting this stuff =p

If you notice the "good" and "evil" clans have been seperated along roughly the lines of how unpleasant their emotional affinity is to others.

Fear - Bloody bat thing that hides in your dreams
Despair - Non-violent takeover, adopts clanless
Anger/Rage - Combat monsters
Envy - Cannibalized her sister
Lust - Seduces to extract information/be slothful
Confusion - Doesn't kill beings and creatures
Joy - Healers
Pain - Incited Dragon-'Cubi war

Outside of Seme, all of them hint at an alignment flowing from their stereotype.  I don't think Cyra is the victim in all this.
            <-- #1 that is!

Titanium Dragon

Well, the dragons may well not be very "good" either; Hizell hardly seems to be a shining paragon himself. Or most likely they are just like everyone else with a lot of power, like the creatures - good or bad, but bad ones can cause a lot of damage and are probably more common simply because they can exert their will over others.

And really, with an affinity like Pain, and how absolutely horrible Destania is, there's a good chance Cyra ascended by torturing a number of dragons to death and eating their souls. Remember, "after the deaths" is one of the lines in the backstory of the 'cubi, so it seems at least mildly plausible.

It is also worth noting that it specifies "surviving leaders"; maybe others rose and then died during the war?

Of course, it is also possible that Cyra isn't evil. We haven't really seen enough of her to know for sure. Heck, for all we know she could have chosen pain because it makes you stronger when you are in the most trouble - your own pain can help drive you, perhaps.

And given that Cyra has all of two surviving descendants, I wonder if the pain caused her by losing so many of her clan has made her even stronger.

I really do like the art of Cyra.

Psaakyrn

Alternatively, the lack of Cubi ascending is not due to the lack of trying. Perhaps other cubi such as Aniz has been trying to duplicate the effect
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

LigerJet

Stupid question time: Aleksi doesn't count as a clan member?  I know Destania is only her step-mother, but I'm not quite sure how clans/families work in this case.

Psaakyrn

Quote from: LigerJet on March 19, 2010, 11:52:23 PM
Stupid question time: Aleksi doesn't count as a clan member?  I know Destania is only her step-mother, but I'm not quite sure how clans/families work in this case.

There is no blood link between Alexi and Destania, nor have there been any mention of power transfer between them, hence Alexi is not a cubi, and therefore not part of the clan. (barring any Edward/Aniz theories)
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

LigerJet

Quote from: Psaakyrn on March 19, 2010, 11:55:14 PM

There is no blood link between Alexi and Destania, nor have there been any mention of power transfer between them, hence Alexi is not a cubi, and therefore not part of the clan. (barring any Edward/Aniz theories)

Ah, but she could still be considered "family".  Or is "Clan" in this case not a synonym for family?

Amberbydreams

Quote from: LigerJet on March 20, 2010, 12:32:44 AM

Ah, but she could still be considered "family".  Or is "Clan" in this case not a synonym for family?
'Clan' as in members of the Cyra Clan, as in 'Cubi who are related to Cyra whose affinity is pain'

Infranscia

Quote from: LigerJet on March 20, 2010, 12:32:44 AM

While a Cubi can be born into a clan through blood relation, in the case of Cubi, a clan is more of a magical connection than a familial one.
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Lego3400

Quote from: AndersW on March 19, 2010, 09:09:12 PM
From Dan's Cast Page

QuoteDan's new wing tentacles have draconic heads. While unknown to Dan, this is actually a clan trait and if Dan had paid any attention, he would discover that he is from a rather high and powerful clan.

Add that fact to your theories.

That has nothing to do with the clan. Amber has stated recently that wing heads vary from cubi to cubi not from clan to clan and is why none of the leaders are showing off their tentacle heads. (Though to be fair that is a really odd phrase)

Silverling

Interesting that all their clan members have green eyes in my opinion....

Though considering its a clan of 2, you could say they're all feline too. d=

psilorder

aww, she lost her etereal, ageless-goddess quality.

also, anyone else who thinks it looks like she is looking at someone in a "has her on on them" kinda way?

also , mentioning comic 1000, why did Cyra appear so big in Dans dream?

A. Lurker

Random speculation: while it's possible that Cyra ascended and triggered the Dragon/Cubi war just by killing one or more dragons (who for unknown reasons might indulge in the never-before-mentioned practice of caring just that deeply for each other, after all), my thoughts run into a somewhat different direction. After all, if enough deaths were all it took, all of Furrae would arguably have to exist in some constant state of war that isn't actually much in evidence in the comic, the existence of an 'adventurer' class and the fact that Beings still don't get much respect from Creatures notwithstanding.

But suppose Cyra ran afoul of dragon politics? (I don't think we know much about those, so there's plenty of room for conspiracy theories.) Maybe one of her victims (in whatever sense) was the favorite heir to the dragons' ruler (assuming they have one), maybe she tapped into and used up/destroyed a power source that the dragons considered theirs and that now can't be replaced...whatever it was, it'd have to be something pretty spectacular or at least just the exactly wrong thing at the worst possible time. Most people don't start wars over what they, at least, consider relatively trivial offenses.

Congo Jack

Quote from: Scrap Fish on March 19, 2010, 07:40:51 PM

While I agree that this would make dragons  (Among everyone else.) pretty unhappy, I will point to a qoute directly from Cyra's page.

"Despite several failed attempts, no other Cubi has been able to attain tri-wing status."

That, perhaps dragons were successful in taking away whatever were giving cubi power to ascend?

AndersW

Quote from: Lego3400 on March 20, 2010, 01:35:27 AM
Quote from: AndersW on March 19, 2010, 09:09:12 PM
From Dan's Cast Page
Dan's new wing tentacles have draconic heads. While unknown to Dan, this is actually a clan trait and if Dan had paid any attention, he would discover that he is from a rather high and powerful clan.

That has nothing to do with the clan. Amber has stated recently that wing heads vary from cubi to cubi not from clan to clan and is why none of the leaders are showing off their tentacle heads. (Though to be fair that is a really odd phrase)

QuoteWhile unknown to Dan, this is actually a clan trait...

Tapewolf

Quote from: A. Lurker on March 20, 2010, 07:59:20 AM
Most people don't start wars over what they, at least, consider relatively trivial offenses.

Fae do, we don't know if Dragons are that petty.  However, destroying a Dragon's soul probably doesn't count as a trivial offense  :B

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

iceick

No wonder why Abel was so insistant on hiding Dan's marking. I wonder how this will affect the relationship between Dan and his buddy.

GabrielsThoughts

Not to sound picky or anything, but including Dan and his mother wouldn't that make the clan strength 3 members. I'm sure someone else has pointed this out and I'm going to check the other pages in this thread, but still.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on March 20, 2010, 04:52:45 PM
Not to sound picky or anything, but including Dan and his mother wouldn't that make the clan strength 3 members. I'm sure someone else has pointed this out and I'm going to check the other pages in this thread, but still.

Amber herself pointed it out; clan founders don't count in the numbers.  The two are indeed Dan and Destania. :3

Happy to toss reminders! ^^  *fadeout*
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

inuhanyo

Quote from: Silverling on March 20, 2010, 02:16:30 AM

Well, it's a small gene pool: Cyra -> Destina -> Daniel

But it is still noteworthy, since we would have expected Dan to get his eye color from his Dad.

Stupid question time: Alexsi doesn't count as a clan member?  I know Destania is only her stepmother, but I'm not quite sure how clans/families work in this case.

Dee considers Alexsi family, but Cyra does not.  And there is no bloodline/power connection, so Alexsi isn't part of Clan Cyra, despite being half-sister of one member and the adopted daughter of the other.

Reading about Cyra's ascention starts to make me wonder about her remark: "Perhaps what you need is a friend who will help you help yourself."

Psychedelic Mushroom

Quote from: inuhanyo on March 20, 2010, 11:02:09 PM
Quote from: Silverling on March 20, 2010, 02:16:30 AM
Well, it's a small gene pool: Cyra -> Destina -> Daniel
s still noteworthy, since we would have expected Dan to get his eye color from his Dad.
And also Dan's Father was a feline. So-- Yeah pretty much felines here but I doubt that is considered a "Clan Trait" just because Dan and Destina are felines doesn't mean that any other person who was probably a part of Clan Cyra at one point wasn't another species of animal. Example: Canine, Avian, Reptile ect.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Titanium Dragon on March 19, 2010, 11:07:44 PMAnd given that Cyra has all of two surviving descendants, I wonder if the pain caused her by losing so many of her clan has made her even stronger.

Do we have any idea how many cubi were once in Cyra clan? All we know for sure is that before Dan, Destania wasn't the only one. There could have been only a few, or hundreds.

Quote from: A. Lurker on March 20, 2010, 07:59:20 AM
Random speculation: while it's possible that Cyra ascended and triggered the Dragon/Cubi war just by killing one or more dragons (who for unknown reasons might indulge in the never-before-mentioned practice of caring just that deeply for each other, after all), my thoughts run into a somewhat different direction.

They wouldn't have to care much for the destroyed individuals to care that someone was killing (even just some of) their race.

QuoteBut suppose Cyra ran afoul of dragon politics? (I don't think we know much about those, so there's plenty of room for conspiracy theories.) Maybe one of her victims (in whatever sense) was the favorite heir to the dragons' ruler (assuming they have one), maybe she tapped into and used up/destroyed a power source that the dragons considered theirs and that now can't be replaced...whatever it was, it'd have to be something pretty spectacular or at least just the exactly wrong thing at the worst possible time. Most people don't start wars over what they, at least, consider relatively trivial offenses.

Perhaps the dragon clans (are there more than one or are they all considered the same clan?) have a shared energy pool like cubi clans appear to and can detect the loss when even one or two members are destroyed.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Les

Just went back and re-read the Demo-101 page for Dragons.  Fae have their own magical pocket-universe realm, it's been speculated that when Dragons heard about this they went and made their own.  If this is true, could it be that `Cubi might have found a way to tap into that.. which would of course piss-off the Dragons mightily.
Long live Space Race, Long live... Molvania!

A. Lurker

Quote from: AmigaDragon on March 21, 2010, 02:18:17 AMThey wouldn't have to care much for the destroyed individuals to care that someone was killing (even just some of) their race.

And yet the existence of adventurers doesn't seem to have sent them into a collective Beings-slaying frenzy. Which either suggests that dragons are so inherently awesome that no adventurer ever actually managed to kill one or else that the above theory alone doesn't explain the Dragon/Cubi war after all.

Tapewolf

Quote from: A. Lurker on March 21, 2010, 07:23:06 AM
And yet the existence of adventurers doesn't seem to have sent them into a collective Beings-slaying frenzy.

Beings only kill people's bodies.  What Cyra may have done is kill a dragon's soul too.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 19, 2010, 03:50:48 PM
Leaders do not count towards a clan.

Quote from: danman on March 19, 2010, 02:46:23 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 19, 2010, 02:44:55 PM
Quote from: danman on March 19, 2010, 02:14:30 PM
Hmm, the smallest will be Fa'lina's clan with membership of 1

Or zero, if the leader isn't counted.

Hmm, i am coming from the fact that 0 is a logical amount of members to assign to an extinct clan.

Oh, zero/one based indexing, so we meet again, my nemesis...
So, does this mean then that an extinct clan with a deceased leader has -1 members? :P

Quote from: Les on March 21, 2010, 05:06:30 AM
Just went back and re-read the Demo-101 page for Dragons.  Fae have their own magical pocket-universe realm, it's been speculated that when Dragons heard about this they went and made their own.  If this is true, could it be that `Cubi might have found a way to tap into that.. which would of course piss-off the Dragons mightily.

Considering DMFA seems to be set in a quantum universe setting, you don't even need a pocket universe for that. But yeah, maybe the dragons did hide that power source in another uinverse thought to be inacessible to Cubi - until the Cubi did access it. But what ever may have been happend, the power source seems to have been destroyed or at least the link the Cubi were tapping into was severed. Since the only thing we know for sure is that they cannot access this source today. I think it would be really interesting to know what exactly that mysterious power source was that the Cubi used for ascension before the war.

Shachza

Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on March 21, 2010, 01:31:04 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on March 19, 2010, 03:50:48 PM
Leaders do not count towards a clan.

Quote from: danman on March 19, 2010, 02:46:23 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 19, 2010, 02:44:55 PM
Quote from: danman on March 19, 2010, 02:14:30 PM
Hmm, the smallest will be Fa'lina's clan with membership of 1

Or zero, if the leader isn't counted.

Hmm, i am coming from the fact that 0 is a logical amount of members to assign to an extinct clan.

Oh, zero/one based indexing, so we meet again, my nemesis...
So, does this mean then that an extinct clan with a deceased leader has -1 members? :P

I checked with the phoenix oracles and according to them an extinct clan with a deceased leader has 'Pineapple.'
            <-- #1 that is!