02/01/10 [Clans #5] - Taun of the Clan Badass

Started by Sunblink, February 01, 2010, 09:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starcat5

Quote from: Lego3400 on February 02, 2010, 12:57:55 AM
*stabs you both* The dub is a vile vile thing that should never be mention without threats of harm upon it's fans or makers, or just wishing all the copies of it in the world all caught fire at once.... Err.... I mean.... *flees*

Hay! The Cartoon Network version was all I had back then. I can't even remember if I even HAD a computer back then, let alone anything faster than 14.4 dialup. ...no, I'm not doing to do a "Back in my day" stick. THIS is my day, and my time is NOW.  :mwaha

That being said, and all things NOT being equal, this clan adds a new twist to my WildSpec from a while back. Namely that the dragons who have Dan's dad in storage find out about Dan and put a hit out on him. All of Dan's dragon friends (most of which Dan doesn't KNOW are dragons) rush off to warn him, all arive at the same time, and set off a classic "(super)Heros fight each other by mistake" scean. Once this is sorted out, Dan and Co. set out to rescue his dad, and accidentily sets off a Dragon Civil War, the end result of which will leave a Pro-Dan dragon in charge, resulting in Dee's plans to be rather moot and counterproductive. The twist, of course, is Clan Taun showing up at any time during these events. Especially the Battle Royale.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

iceick

Quote from: The_one_who_is_odd on February 01, 2010, 11:47:07 PM
Quote from: Techcubi on February 01, 2010, 11:32:24 PM
Huh. Taun's clan is apparently the strongest clan so far in Cubi clan leaders.
I  think Mink is going from least to greatest.
You forget that if that was the case, Mink would have started with Fa'lina since Fa'lina's clan has been completely destroyed.

Quote from: Jack McSlay on February 02, 2010, 01:57:59 AM
So what if a cubi does the ritual and then gets divorced?  :U
They don't get their powers back and the one they gave their powers to will stay a cubi.

Anker Steadfast

I must say, Amber has a knack for making unique Clan Leaders.
This one doesn't have headwings or anything.
And she's positively ancient, in a good way!

Now, for speculations, I rather like to speculate in how those new characters would be likely to interact with the main cast.
For example, I think that in peacetime Dan and Tauns would likely not be particularly good friends.
Some basic respect, certainly, but I think they are too far both in age and culture to be friends.

Let me explain.

This is an ancient Cubi who hasprobably seen more battles than anyone around.
By now, I reckon she's right fed up with people who waffle about, which we know Dan is good at.
On the other hand, he is an adventure and his affinity include doing the right thing for many.
I reckon she could accept that trait without any problems.

So while they'd probably be at odds while there's no fighting, I reckon the opposite would be true.
Imagine a dragon attacks the Cubi academy, Taun would go straight into a RAGE and attack head on.
Dan meanwhile, would go "whoa, big dragon, big cubi", and then try to come up with some strange tactic

(like using Fae bangles to his advantage, he can come up with strange ideas)

i could easily imagine Dan try and sneak around and nail the Dragon from behind, while Taun holds it's attention.
And nail it most literally with a big spear, and a tail nailed to the ground would put the dragon at a disadvantage.
And there's no way in hell that Taun would not exploit such a weakness.

Such an act would definately make Taun respect Dan, because despite him being young and .. well .. weak, he'd fight.
And if he can use perconal tactics, even a weak Dan can be an asset.

But friendship ?
I really doubt it.

More likely she'd send him off on a task of some sort. :D

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Goatmon

Quote from: The_one_who_is_odd on February 01, 2010, 11:29:38 PM
Quote from: Goatmon on February 01, 2010, 11:18:41 PM
My disproportionate senses are tingling!  D:
What do you mean?

It might be just me, but I thought her right arm seemed a touch too beefy in proportion to her waist.

Just a little, though.  I'm not accusing her of pulling a Rob Liefield, here. 

iceick

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on February 02, 2010, 02:43:24 AM
She does have headwings they're right above her ears. They are thinner than other headwings, but they are there.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on February 01, 2010, 09:24:55 PM
EDIT: OH F*** ME. Lego3400. Pistols. At dawn.

We shall separate the men from the boys, and decide whose thread shall live and whose shall die.

... Or not, and manglement can merge the two. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on February 01, 2010, 10:56:33 PM
That ritual comment is fanfiction fodder -galore-.

It's been that for years.  The 'Cubification thread from 2005 first opened that door when Amber said that it was possible.  This is just the first time it's been mentioned in-comic.
Interestingly, now that we know the limits and restrictions it should actually reduce the incidences of it, at least where the writer is disciplined enough to stick within the constraints of canon, which admittedly they may not be (or "probably aren't" depending on how cynical you are).

Certainly I'm going to drop the "Hey kid, wanna be a 'Cubi?" sketch from mine.

That said, halving the lifespan still gives you a nominal lifespan similar to a Demon's nominal lifespan - which is not to be sneezed at.  And there is a particularly infamous technique that 'Cubi can use to increase their power and lifespan anyway.

"It's true... I am 'Cubi!  Now we will be able to love each other forever..."
"I love you too darling.  Now, let's go and eat a bunch of Being's souls."
"Wait, what...?"

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: iceick on February 02, 2010, 03:06:06 AM
She does have headwings they're right above her ears. They are thinner than other headwings, but they are there.

Erhh .. my bad .. I means the heads that happen on the end of the wing tentacles.

Those.

iceick

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on February 02, 2010, 03:48:37 AM

Erhh .. my bad .. I means the heads that happen on the end of the wing tentacles.

Those.

Of course the tentacles in experienced cubi only show themselves when the cubi wants to show them.

Keklily

I just feel strange with all clan leaders seen Female Taun, Kish'Ta, Seme and Dan's grandma.     for what I recal from the comic when Dan meets his Grandma in the dream she says she's their clan leader or am I mistaking?

terrycloth

Yeah, I was just thinking of the soul eating angle. "Oh no, now I have half of *infinity* instead of all of infinity."

I can even see the spiel now. "Bring me two victims to soul-eat, and I'll make you a cubi!" Then, of course, you eat all three.  >:3

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: iceick on February 02, 2010, 04:07:29 AM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on February 02, 2010, 03:48:37 AM

Those.

Of course the tentacles in experienced cubi only show themselves when the cubi wants to show them.

True ... and now that I looked at it, none of the other Cubi Leaders so far has has them on display.
Maybe that's for a more specific comic later ?

Also, could the heads of two Cubi become friends with eachother without their owners being friends as well ?
That could open up entirely new avenues of awkard. :D

Tapewolf

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on February 02, 2010, 04:17:58 AM
True ... and now that I looked at it, none of the other Cubi Leaders so far has has them on display.

I think they usually do that when they're trying to kill someone.

Anyway, I think I've covered most of the intelligent points I was going to cover so I'll just add that Taun looks awesome and her clan sounds awesome too.

Netrogo

Me thinks I've figured out which clan my character is in.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Netrogo on February 02, 2010, 04:31:35 AM
Me thinks I've figured out which clan my character is in.
With Amber's attention to detail she may have written the lifestory for all 387 :P

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 02, 2010, 04:30:58 AM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on February 02, 2010, 04:17:58 AM

I think they usually do that when they're trying to kill someone.

Oh, that's right - All the horrible fighting .. I had forgotten about that. :D

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 02, 2010, 04:30:58 AMAnyway, I think I've covered most of the intelligent points I was going to cover so I'll just add that Taun looks awesome and her clan sounds awesome too.
I agree, she does sound pretty cool.
I'm actually looking forward to see other cubi from her clan .. methinks they might be quite interesting and .. headstrong. :)

Scarydragon

Quote from: Goatmon on February 02, 2010, 02:55:53 AM
It might be just me, but I thought her right arm seemed a touch too beefy in proportion to her waist.

I think that's just the way the armor around her waist makes it look.

Also, Taun is made of yes and win.
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

Tapewolf

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on February 02, 2010, 04:38:00 AM

Heh.  More specifically:

Catching Janus
Preparing to destroy Edward
Vows of destruction
Intimidating Dan
...and of course, Hennya.

Now, I don't pretend for a minute that this is the only reason a 'Cubi would do that.  If you're in a situation where people know you're 'Cubi and don't care, it would be handy for carrying tools, cutting material, climbing scaffolding and a million and one other uses.

It's happening to Dan because he doesn't have control over it yet, but mostly - if you're in Being mode because people are going to try and kill you if they find out what you are - the usual time you'd resort to bringing out your tentacles is if you're fighting for your life, or if there aren't going to be any living witnesses afterwards.  Or, if no-one is going to see you.

EDIT:
...which is not to say that someone like Fa'lina or Taun wouldn't do it just for show.  But the typical use seems to be for violence.

MT Hazard

(On the cat walk)

And now representing the ultimate in battle chic, its Taun!

Her outfit promises to knock em dead,  from her armoured tank top down to her fighting sandals, this girl is not be be messed with !

She is also modelling our latest range of hot pink battle hair ! Give her a big hand everybody!
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on February 02, 2010, 04:38:00 AM

Arguably (ie, I'm certainly going to argue that it is ;-] ) that's a fanfic, albeit written by the original author, and as such, not true Cubi canon.

In other words, it's Wildy (the character) writing it, not Amber (the author). And Wildy could well be totally wrong.

Shachza

Quote from: RandomMetaphysics on February 01, 2010, 11:55:14 PM
Here's a little food for thought. Since many of Taun's clan are known to become or are adventurers... could Dan's thoughts about Cubi be swayed?

I see them most likely to "Adventure" as part of the Adventurer-Slaying Department mentioned earlier in the comic...

And whyfore all the apparent dragon hating...    :crying

I's a gud dragon!
            <-- #1 that is!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Shachza on February 02, 2010, 08:29:24 AM
I see them most likely to "Adventure" as part of the Adventurer-Slaying Department mentioned earlier in the comic...

Perhaps, perhaps not.  If you had a band of adventurers determined to stamp out "the 'Cubi menace", I can imagine Taun's clan reacting badly to it in exactly the way you're thinking of.

However, their primary goal seems to be to protect their race - going around killing Beings who are trying to protect themselves from rogue Demons etc, is counterproductive since it would tend to make the 'Cubi race itself a target.

No, personally I suspect - as the page says - it's more a case of them tending to become mercenaries and adventurers for hire like Dan.  If nothing else it's a superb way to keep themselves trained and fit while awaiting orders from higher up.
In places where 'Cubi are more free to go around undisguised, it would be a good way of reducing tensions with Beings etc - defending their town and so on is liable to give a more positive impression of the 'Cubi race, which is helpful in terms of the race's survival.

Of course, I've always loved the idea of 'Cubi adventurers and the idea that there's a whole (large) clan of them running around and kicking the asses of monsters has me walking on air.  So yeah, I'm bound to be biased  :P

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Shachza on February 02, 2010, 08:29:24 AM
And whyfore all the apparent dragon hating...    :crying

I's a gud dragon!

No, you're a person. Welcome to the forum, please read the rules.

Sid

It took me three tries to read the profile text. My eyes just kept switching back to THE PINKNESS. The sole worse case of distraction so far was Kish'Ta. There, I only realized that there WAS text after half a minute of staring at the face.  :erk
:boogie

Grey Wolf

Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Grey Wolf on February 02, 2010, 09:43:39 AM
Is Taun a porcupine?
According to the FA version she has no specific species, she's described as a "Porcupine lion tail spikey-thing".

Grey Wolf

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 02, 2010, 09:53:46 AM
According to the FA version she has no specific species, she's described as a "Porcupine lion tail spikey-thing".

Ah, yes. FA. Should have checked that first...
Thanks!
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Les

I just love the fact that the clan of rage and awesome and badassness's clan-color is Pink, epic fantasticawesome.  

And am I way off, or does the 'not work for clan leaders' part mean Taun adopted her stepson Before she ascended?

I also seem to remember something about a cubi-creation ritual before now, and something indicating that Cyra's clan is something of a big deal (Cyra said she's gone a long time between surfing the dreams of her Descendants, not her Clan Members.  Given that tri-wings go sterile upon ascension it seems not only unnecessary that all clan members be direct descendants of the clan leader/founder but also unlikely.)
Long live Space Race, Long live... Molvania!

joshofspam

Well I can just see Dan if he ever meets members of this clan talking up a storm about weapon types and skills needed to slay certain prey.

He'll probably be spending a lot of time just getting the combat skills that this clan has to get back at Regina.

It will be interesting seeing who Dan hangs out with besides Abel when he goes to school.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Alondro

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on February 01, 2010, 10:58:16 PM
Why is everyone so surprised the sign's a pair of Barbie-pink moons?

*sings* Fightin' evil by the moonlight...

*Charline beats Jigsaw with a stick!  WITH A STICK!!!*  Now I can't get that stupid song out of my head!  I KEEL U!!   >:O

*Charles examines the ritual, and then pokes Charline*  Would you make meeee a Cubi?

*Charline brutally murders Charles again*  No!  You suck!  STFU!!!   :chainsaw

Anyway, we all know how the rage thing works:  The angrier Taun gets, the stronger she becomes!!

TAUN SMASH!!    xD
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif