Previous topic - Next topic

Is this BS?

Yes
9 (69.2%)
No
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

silentassassin

The news coming straight from Norway the US President Barack Obama to receive this honoured prize. Can't think any specific reason to give him ths award over others but the thoughts of the people?

superluser

Unlikely.

What has Obama done to promote peace?  That sounds like...(checks Google News)...wait, what?

It must have been very slim competition this year.  I don't mean this as a slight to Obama, but he hasn't even been in office one year, and his accomplishments on the peace front are basically promising to get out of Iraq.

Well, the peace prize has been a joke ever since Henry Kissinger won it for ending a war that he helped to escalate...

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

silentassassin

Sad to say it was about 205 people he beat out. And atleast Henry created some peace.

superluser

Quote from: silentassassin on October 09, 2009, 06:11:25 AMSad to say it was about 205 people he beat out. And atleast Henry created some peace.

Well, Obama will when he actually does pull out of Iraq.  But even though his promises are a little more credible than Nixon's Secret Plan, he hasn't actually done it yet.  There are still combat troops in Iraq.  And then there's the question of giving somebody a peace prize simply for stopping the bellicose policies of the last guy.  Did they give Konrad Adenauer a Nobel simply because he was Chancellor after the fall of Nazi Germany?

Alondro

If they're going to start handing out Peace Prizes for promises to do things, I promise to bring world peace TOMORROW* !!!

*The promised peace will be obtained by a simple augmentation of the human population to a single digit number.   :mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Lysander

Yeah, I just heard about that about an hour ago. Something about giving him a peace prize because some people saying it's valid on the supposed fact that he will be worthy of one in the future.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

Corgatha Taldorthar

Come on, we all know that the Nobel Peace Prize is more or less meaningless. Adolf Hitler was nominated in 1939, and I believe Stalin had a nomination after the second World War. (Neither won though). All you really need to get in for consideration is to have one history or sociology professor at a major university send in your name, and really, is that so hard for a public figure?

Once you have that, all you need is for three of the five judges to like you more than the other candidates. So really, all you need to win the Nobel Peace prize is some recognizeability, and a little popularity in Europe.

I've stopped paying all attention to the relevance of the Nobel Peace prize, in light of the fact that Yasser Arafat won one.

And Gandhi never did.

Best wishes,
Corgatha Taldorthar.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Dekari

Quote from: Alondro on October 09, 2009, 09:19:48 AM
*The promised peace will be obtained by a simple augmentation of the human population to a single digit number.   :mwaha

I don't know about that.  To paraphrase the sniper from TF2.  "As long as there are two people left alive, someone is going to want someone else dead."
I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Thanks go to Kipiru and Rhyfe for the art work used in avatars.

http://drakedekari.deviantart.com/

Valynth

Meh, the peace-prizes lost favor with me when they started handing them out to Muslim warlords who then go and attack Israel.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Sunblink

I don't mind this, but I would have been pretty happy if Greg Mortenson won the prize. The chances of him winning would have been really slim, but for Christ's sake, he builds schools in Pakistan for boys and girls and reforms Taliban members through his generosity alone.

I mean, that deserves some kind of prize right there.

superluser

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 09, 2009, 04:10:53 PM
I don't mind this, but I would have been pretty happy if Greg Mortenson won the prize. The chances of him winning would have been really slim, but for Christ's sake, he builds schools in Pakistan for boys and girls and reforms Taliban members through his generosity alone.

Yeah, that's what I think most people are thinking right now.  Including, it seems, Barack Obama:

QuoteI am both surprised and deeply humbled by the decision of the Nobel Committee.  Let me be clear:  I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments, but rather as an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people in all nations.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that this prize reflects the kind of world that those men and women, and all Americans, want to build -- a world that gives life to the promise of our founding documents.  And I know that throughout history, the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.  And that is why I will accept this award as a call to action -- a call for all nations to confront the common challenges of the 21st century.

Kafzeil

The Nobel Peace Prize isn't as big as joke as the Oscars yet, but still, handing an Award top Obama prematurely is alarming. I mean, what if completely snaps and declares himself Emperor of Mankind? I'm not insulting the guy, but imagine if we gave Mao Zedong a Nobel Peace prize for the Cultural Revolution or The Great Leap Forward. Giving someone a prize like this for what they intend to do is completely idiotic. What's the Road to Hell paved with again, children?
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

superluser

Quote from: Kafzeil on October 09, 2009, 10:07:12 PMThe Nobel Peace Prize isn't as big as joke as the Oscars yet, but still, handing an Award top Obama prematurely is alarming. I mean, what if completely snaps and declares himself Emperor of Mankind? I'm not insulting the guy, but imagine if we gave Mao Zedong a Nobel Peace prize for the Cultural Revolution or The Great Leap Forward. Giving someone a prize like this for what they intend to do is completely idiotic. What's the Road to Hell paved with again, children?

Well, exactly.

Allow me to Godwin the thread:

``For his contributions to peace and the peaceful resolution of the Czechoslovakian Affair, the Nobel Committee awards the Peace Prize to Adolf Hitler.'' (OK, they wouldn't have awarded it to the guy who invaded the country in the first place, but still.  People thought that it was over and that war had been averted.)

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: superluser on October 09, 2009, 11:33:49 PM

Allow me to Godwin the thread:

``For his contributions to peace and the peaceful resolution of the Czechoslovakian Affair, the Nobel Committee awards the Peace Prize to Adolf Hitler.'' (OK, they wouldn't have awarded it to the guy who invaded the country in the first place, but still.  People thought that it was over and that war had been averted.)

It's not too farfetched. He didn't win, but Adolf Hilter *was* nominated in 1939 by Erik Brandt.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Reese Tora

Well, considering the nature of the peace prize, he is being awarded it, he didn't win anything.

I was actually talking with some people about the prize being awarded at a party this evening, two people other than myself also held the view that he hasn't done anything, and a third... who called us racist for tearing him down because he's black...
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Janus Whitefurr

I'm just here to deposit a friend's amused impression of how it all went down.

QuoteWhat I like is my mental image of him being poked awake at 6AM to be informed and him being all blinking and "...buh?", then turning over and going "Michelle, I think I just won a Nobel Prize" and she'd be all "that's nice dear *turns over, zzzs*" and then they realize it wasn't a dream later. X3
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

superluser

Quote from: Reese Tora on October 11, 2009, 03:54:20 AMI was actually talking with some people about the prize being awarded at a party this evening, two people other than myself also held the view that he hasn't done anything, and a third... who called us racist for tearing him down because he's black...

What I find interesting is the number of people on the left who think that he hasn't done anything, especially given the ``empty suit'' rhetoric you see coming from the right.

Cvstos

I'm not so sure if he's really earned it either, and I'm very liberal. That being said, I think Obama is correct that the Prize is sometimes used to give momentum to causes the recipients champion. And Obama has had a history of pushing for the end of nuclear weaponry, even in the Senate. So in that respect, I can see the logic behind the decision.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on October 11, 2009, 04:16:54 AM
What I find interesting is the number of people on the left who think that he hasn't done anything, especially given the ``empty suit'' rhetoric you see coming from the right.

So... what _has_ he done to warrant a Nobel? So far as I'm aware, he popped up out of nowhere to win the election for no apparent cause.

Which makes him just another suit. Of course, I consider most of the election options in both the US and the UK - and, in fact, everywhere else I've been - to be "bad", "worse", or "unpalatable", generally speaking, so I might be somewhat biased...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 11, 2009, 05:47:11 AM
Quote from: superluser on October 11, 2009, 04:16:54 AMWhat I find interesting is the number of people on the left who think that he hasn't done anything, especially given the ``empty suit'' rhetoric you see coming from the right.
So... what _has_ he done to warrant a Nobel? So far as I'm aware, he popped up out of nowhere to win the election for no apparent cause.

Which makes him just another suit. Of course, I consider most of the election options in both the US and the UK - and, in fact, everywhere else I've been - to be "bad", "worse", or "unpalatable", generally speaking, so I might be somewhat biased...

Well, the rhetoric is different.  During the election, a lot of people on the right said that Obama was so popular because he said hope and change a lot, but that he didn't have any policy positions and was completely inexperienced.  This was the empty suit rhetoric.

Now, a lot of people on the left are saying that he has a lot of good policy positions, but that he hasn't had the opportunity to follow through on what he said he'd do.  It's not the same argument, but it's similar enough that the right wing will use it to claim that the left secretly knows he's an empty suit.  In reality, there's a difference between a political position based on getting things done and an award based on making the world a better place.

As to what he has done in international relations to deserve a peace prize, I'm not sure he has done much of anything.  He's altered the missile defense plans, which seems to have eased tensions with Russia and led to less nuclear proliferation rhetoric.  And he *says* he's going to remove all combat troops from Iraq, but it seems like it might be a good idea to see if he's lying before you give him the Peace Prize.

Gabi

Well, the Nobel Peace Prize has been given for no apparent reason a few times. I think this time is just another example. I think he may (or may not) be worthy of that prize at some point in the future, depending on what he does while he's in the office. But so far I don't think he has actually done anything to make the world a more peaceful place.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on October 11, 2009, 02:35:36 PM
As to what he has done in international relations to deserve a peace prize, I'm not sure he has done much of anything.  He's altered the missile defense plans, which seems to have eased tensions with Russia and led to less nuclear proliferation rhetoric.  And he *says* he's going to remove all combat troops from Iraq, but it seems like it might be a good idea to see if he's lying before you give him the Peace Prize.

s/lying/capable/, I think. All the good intentions in the world are not going to remove the troops, if there's a good reason they need to stay. And the President is one of the few people who actually have access to the full information.

Of course, that's not saying he'll avail himself of that info, mind. Just that it's available...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 11, 2009, 04:52:02 PMs/lying/capable/, I think. All the good intentions in the world are not going to remove the troops, if there's a good reason they need to stay. And the President is one of the few people who actually have access to the full information.

Well, I'm not sure that I would predicate that on capability.  Desmond Tutu got the prize in 1984 for his ``role as a unifying leader figure in the campaign to resolve the problem of apartheid in South Africa.''

Of course, Tutu was not capable of resolving apartheid at that time.  That would be resolved by another Nobel laureate, Nelson Mandela, a decade later.  But Tutu had been active and making progress in that area for years, and giving the Nobel to him was credible, because he had shown that he was interested in actually making good on his promises.

(not that Obama isn't going to make good on his promises, but he hasn't had the opportunity to prove it yet)

Valynth

Quote from: superluser on October 11, 2009, 02:35:36 PM
Now, a lot of people on the left are saying that he has a lot of good policy positions, but that he hasn't had the opportunity to follow through on what he said he'd do.  It's not the same argument, but it's similar enough that the right wing will use it to claim that the left secretly knows he's an empty suit.  In reality, there's a difference between a political position based on getting things done and an award based on making the world a better place.

Wait, the Democrats are holding pretty much every section of the government....  Remind me again, what exactly is keeping him from following through?
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Noone

Quote from: Valynth on October 11, 2009, 06:54:09 PM
Wait, the Democrats are holding pretty much every section of the government....  Remind me again, what exactly is keeping him from following through?
The Democrats are not very well unified, they're more like an anti-Republican coalition than a political party. They can work together to oppose them, but they have their own 'sub' party affiliations, ones that don't mingle well with each other. They can work together to take the houses of congress, but their own agendas come to light when they are in power. I think the health-care debate is very ample evidence of the dis-unity of the Democrat party, each wants to have their own way and they're apparently not willing to compromise over what to do. (The Democratic primaries were also a good example of this, if you were following them.)

And remember, the president cannot legislate. He can get someone in his party to propose a bill but that's about it. Considering how the house works, a bill is not likely to look the same at all if, or when it comes out of the house. It might look so different that the president may not even want to ratify the bill.

superluser

Quote from: Valynth on October 11, 2009, 06:54:09 PMWait, the Democrats are holding pretty much every section of the government....  Remind me again, what exactly is keeping him from following through?

Well, I suppose he could declare that tomorrow is the last day for troops in Iraq and fly all 124,000 troops home immediately.

Does that sound smart to you?

Alondro

Speaking about the missle defense plan changes, I'm not happy about anything that Russia's happy about.  Let's review history:  since when has anything that made Russia happy been good for anyone else?

Seriously, why would they be upset with Poland having a system to stop incoming nuclear weapons, unless they're planning to launch some at Poland in the first place?

And if they're worried about Poland launching weapons at them... that's even stupider!  This is Poland after all.  The Russians just need to push the 'return to sender' button on the Polish missles!  XD   

*Charles is an evil right-wing mega-racist who hates everyone.  Even himself.*  I'll kill that danged whitey nerd boy!  *stabs self and dies*   :knifed

An interpretive illustration of the self-destructive nature of racial bigotry.   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

superluser

Quote from: Alondro on October 11, 2009, 10:22:16 PMSpeaking about the missle defense plan changes, I'm not happy about anything that Russia's happy about.  Let's review history:  since when has anything that made Russia happy been good for anyone else?

Seward's Folly?  They were eager to dump that land, and I think on the whole we're quite glad to have gotten it.

Corgatha Taldorthar

I don't know why people make such a big deal about missile defenses anyway. They don't actually stop ICBM's anyway........

Azlan

Quote from: superluser on October 11, 2009, 10:58:59 PM

Seward's Folly?  They were eager to dump that land, and I think on the whole we're quite glad to have gotten it.

Indeed, but who would have known that there were such vast fossil fuel resources there or that the United States would become one of their most supreme opponents in the future?  It is the luck of the draw.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"