8/02/09 [DMFA #1026] - Say the magic words

Started by Tyranastrasz, August 01, 2009, 11:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyranastrasz

So it would seem that Fae have to do whatever is asked of them by a friend if that friend says it would mean the world to them. Do I smell a weakness?

Also, AWW, Fae baby!

Lucheek

Hey, cool! Fae Folklore! How cool! Man, it would be neat to see a little story book of this kind of thing.

Also, I agree: Awwww Fae-by is so cute!

Baal Hadad

Upside down words?  Wonder how that would sound....   :erk

And what did Pip do, I wonder...?

Tyranastrasz

Janus Whitefurr

There is an... I can't put the finger on it. Aesthetically pleasing effect of the tale in the first panel. The way it's written, the way it's phrased. It appeals to my sense of the English language.

Or something like that, anyway.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Aisha deCabre

Gah!  Fae baby!  Too cute! x.x

Anyway.  I find it rather funny how though Pip had his moment of intelligence, he still acts like his old pet-like self.  Seems to be he's more than a pet by this point.

Another cool factoid about the Fae there too.  In many ways they're quite like the Fair Folk of old legend.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Ghostwish

Aye, weren't they always 'command' phrases or secret passwords when dealing with the willy-nilly folk? Makes me wonder what binds them so..

Turnsky

I was trying to keep my sugar intake down...

Damn you Amber Williams...

DAAAAAMN YOU!  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Jairus

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw... KYUUUUUUUUTE!

Also, this promises to be interesting. And so far, Fae have been following some of the traditions of the fair folk: particularly the fact that they're a bunch of jerks and assholes, but a promise is something interesting. Though I think that Amber has made it clear that they have limitations or something like that.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Titanium Dragon

I'm not sure where people are getting that they have to do whatever they are asked... indeed, this sounds like the end of the beginning of a story, where someone managed to help a fae and befriended them, and then asked for (or was granted) a favor in return.

Of course, the real question is is who, exactly, asked that their friends be happy.

But yes, the fae seem to be the fair folk. Not that we didn't know that already from their species information and "all hail queen mab", but shh.

It is worth noting that Albanion said "You should have done the same as Pip." The real question is, what did Pip do? Pretend to be unintelligent? Is Pip a shapechanged fae? Or is he referring to something else entirely?

Of course, I do love that the drake in question is asleep.  :)

Rafe

First of all, I have no problem reading Albion's speech balloons, no matter if they're backwards or upside-down, but then, I'm weird like that. 

But I do have a question:  what exactly is "the pin of a needle"?
Rafe

inuhanyo

Recall that Albanion's cursing Jy was part of a plan of Mab's, and Albanion did it as sort of a minor favor and because playing the part was fun.

As for the magic word, my first guess is "please".

Alterationartist

Quote from: Tyranastrasz on August 01, 2009, 11:24:14 PM
So it would seem that Fae have to do whatever is asked of them by a friend if that friend says it would mean the world to them. Do I smell a weakness?

Also, AWW, Fae baby!

No.

Because that person would have to be a friend of the Fae, and a true friend would never exploit such a thing as a weakness.

And don't give me the whole "pretend to be a friend" deception shtick. A little something tells me that tricking a Fae is not really easy to do unless they trust you.

Also, where is this implication that Fae are bound to grant a request under such coniditions?
Round 9!

SuaveIV

Quote from: Rafe on August 02, 2009, 12:26:26 AM
First of all, I have no problem reading Albion's speech balloons, no matter if they're backwards or upside-down, but then, I'm weird like that. 

But I do have a question:  what exactly is "the pin of a needle"?

...that would be the sharp point end, I do believe...

...though doesn't it goes on the head of a pin?

...or is that something about angels?

Lego3400

Honestly... I have no idea what's going on right now...

Zedd

Thanks for two things Amber

1. Bringing in cuteness

2.  breaking my neck while it's still sore

Lego3400

I should also comment that I am clad I can access my computer from my bed. I just had to roll on my back to read the upside down panel :D

terrycloth

They might not be 'bound', but the fairy tale implies that if they *don't* fulfill a boon like that, they aren't a real friend.

Garsemor

Baby Fea is so cute.
Poor Mab. She does all that to get him that curs, and what thanks does she get? Non.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: SuaveIV on August 02, 2009, 01:33:15 AM
...though doesn't it goes on the head of a pin?

...or is that something about angels?

It depends on the tune.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Kuari

Quote from: terrycloth on August 02, 2009, 01:52:59 AM
They might not be 'bound', but the fairy tale implies that if they *don't* fulfill a boon like that, they aren't a real friend.
The fairy tale implies its only that...  but going by Mab's reaction, there is something that COMPELS them to, even if they have a reason to think that person will be better off if they don't...  Mab wanted that curse for Jy's protection, little does he know, but she's still willing to change her plans?  Something be up.

Royden

I have to say... just simply for this comic... three cheers for laptop.

ooklah

eeeeee! fae baby appears on my birthday!   :mowhappy

What is the fae babie's name I wonder?

<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Feather Dancer

It irritates me how long it took me to find the flip tool in Photoshop. I can click it in seconds in OpenCanvas but noooo I had to use the OTHER program.

The kid is cute and made up for it tho :)
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Malakin

Holy cow, I was basically right with my random speculation...
Well...

Almost :P

Also, something about an upside down fey talking literally upside down tickles me :F
"The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.
"

Tapewolf

Quote from: Baal Hadad on August 01, 2009, 11:35:38 PM
Upside down words?  Wonder how that would sound....   :erk
Phase-inverted.  (Which sounds exactly the same)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Michael Chandra

Quote from: inuhanyo on August 02, 2009, 01:09:15 AM
Recall that Albanion's cursing Jy was part of a plan of Mab's, and Albanion did it as sort of a minor favor and because playing the part was fun.

As for the magic word, my first guess is "please".
I doubt it. Noticed the parallel between the story told and what Jyrras said in the third panel yesterday: "..., it would mean the world to me."

Pip keeps gnashing Dan, maybe that's what they're referring to?

Ghostwish

Quote from: Alterationartist on August 02, 2009, 01:16:47 AM
Also, where is this implication that Fae are bound to grant a request under such coniditions?

Two words.

Antennae. Fire.

*fwoosh!*

hapless

Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

Gabi

...So it was Jy's words after all.

I think Pip may be protecting Dan in a way that Dan doesn't notice. And probably having a good time at his expense while he's at it.

Since Mab feels that Jyrras needs protection (which is probably right), that may be what Albanion is suggesting.

Inverted text is weird, but not really hard to read. I, too, am wondering how that would sound.

And Pip sleeping is cool. Just... where is Pip sleeping?
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly