Star Trek (2009) - WARNING: Potential Spoiler-fest

Started by Angel, May 19, 2009, 12:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angel

(glance. glance)

Really? No-one's gonna start it? I'm the first one?

(shrug) Okay then. I sure hope this doesn't turn into a flame war. (har-de-har-har)

I saw Star Trek last night. Now, my family was more Star Wars than Star Trek, but it was impossible to be a 90s kid and not know at least a little about Star Trek. It also helped to have a dad who loved sci-fi and comic books, and to have somewhat socially challenged friends who were Trekkies, or part of both worlds (which is more common than you think). Either case, I had learned enough about Star Trek to learn the gags, the characters' personalities, almost all of it. I can safely say that J.J. Abrams is either a Trekkie himself, or really really good at listening to the fans.

I thought it was an awesome movie, full of things that would make hardcore fans laugh, while at the same time still making sense to anyone who is as detached from Star Trek as is possible to be without being under 10 years old. The actors really fell into their characters without parodying the show too much. I was in particular impresed by the actor who played Bones: he actually used the same voice tone. And even though he didn't quite act like William Shatner, that's exactly what I liked about the guy who played Kirk. I was freaking thrilled to see Simon Pegg as Scotty; he was hilarious as always and did the role extremely well. Finally, maybe I'm saying this because I'm a Heroes fan, but Zachary Quinto as Spock was bleeping perfect. He proved himself as an actor; he can play more than one character and he can do it damn well.

Gags they use that made me happy: Scotty panicking, the Vulcan nerve pinch, "I'm a doctor, not a (blank)", the Red Shirt. :3

I recommend it. Anyone who's seen it: thoughts, criticisms, logical analyses from you Spock fans?
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Sprocketsdance

Awesome!! I was thinking about doing it but... got distracted ^_^; (lazy). Anyways, I'm the same as you, more into the Star Wars but knew enough about Star Trek to get through the movie and recognize things.

There had to be a Red shirt to bite it.. it wouldn't have been right XD.

Spock was awesome! Without becoming too much of a fangirl I have to agree with you, the guy can act!  :boogie

When seeing the previews I was worried that Kirk was going to be more of a douchbag than anything, but I was really glad to see he was just a head-strong kid with an attitude ^_^.

Yes, bones is great.. I missed an "It's dead Jim" or the likes but he did declare something was dead I remember.. at least I think.. heh :animesweat

I can't wait for more movies! After what Lucas did with Star Wars this might bring me more hope. =)

Kipiru

I'm a bit of a Trekkie myself and have already seen the movie with a bunch of guys and girls that had never even heard of Kirk or Spock. The result was great enjoyment for both me and the others(including the girls- mind you they were in no way sci-fi inclined). the movie is simply that good- amazing effects, great humor, great little hints and winks at those familiar with the Star Trek universe. One could point out that the story was one we Trekkies have seen done in at least 3 different ways so far in Star Trek series alone, but still it kind of related  the whole flick to the previous movies. A must see for anyone who enjoys a good movie!

superluser

See, I'm just glad that with two Spocks, it doubles the chances that we'll get another Search for Spock.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

bill

Quote from: superluser on May 19, 2009, 04:50:43 PM
See, I'm just glad that with two Spocks, it doubles the chances that we'll get another Search for Spock.
That would not be a good thing, I hated that one.

Then again, I hated IV too, so maybe I'm not cut out to be a Trek fan.

superluser

Quote from: bill on May 19, 2009, 11:09:27 PM
Quote from: superluser on May 19, 2009, 04:50:43 PM
That would not be a good thing, I hated that one.

I was under the impression that The Search for Spock was not well-liked by Trekkies, but I could be wrong.

Of course, I liked Star Trek IV (having some of the most classic lines in all of Trek--``Hello Computer'', ``nuclear wessels'', the punk on the bus...) and I seem to be the only person who liked Star Trek V.

(Also, I see people are already making the obvious ``I am not Sylar'' jokes.)

Netrogo

Quote from: superluser on May 20, 2009, 03:50:03 AM

That's the part that's making me want to strangle random people. Except for a few occassional facial reactions, I think he did a pretty damn good job distancing himself from Sylar for this film. It's not like he was Keanu "I'mthesameguyineverymovie" Reaves or Clint "Angrybastardsellstickets" Eastwood.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Angel

Quote from: Netrogo on May 20, 2009, 08:11:25 AM

That's the part that's making me want to strangle random people. Except for a few occassional facial reactions, I think he did a pretty damn good job distancing himself from Sylar for this film. It's not like he was Keanu "I'mthesameguyineverymovie" Reaves or Clint "Angrybastardsellstickets" Eastwood.

Ahem. Just wanted to point out that while Clint Eastwood does have a character type, at least he can pull it off every time. He didn't have to parody himself in Gran Torino, whereas William Shatner and Adam West...well, you know what happened to them. Same thing sort of happened to Lou Ferrigno if you ask me, with the difference that he gets slightly more respect than them.

Other than that, I agree with you. Zachary Quinto did an awesome job. After a while, I couldn't ven picture him with the thick eyebrows and stubble anymore. :3

The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Netrogo

Quote from: Black_angel on May 20, 2009, 08:21:08 AM

Ahem. Just wanted to point out that while Clint Eastwood does have a character type, at least he can pull it off every time. He didn't have to parody himself in Gran Torino, whereas William Shatner and Adam West...well, you know what happened to them. Same thing sort of happened to Lou Ferrigno if you ask me, with the difference that he gets slightly more respect than them.

Other than that, I agree with you. Zachary Quinto did an awesome job. After a while, I couldn't ven picture him with the thick eyebrows and stubble anymore. :3

Yeah I'll give you that, Eastwood is definetly a better actor then the other mentioned hams. Not that I don't get a chuckle out of West and Shatner but in comedy there's a difference between laughing at you and laughing AT you.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

superluser

Quote from: superluser on May 20, 2009, 03:50:03 AM(Also, I see people are already making the obvious ``I am not Sylar'' jokes.)

I was referring to Leonard Nimoy's autobiography, I Am Not Spock.

As to hams, some can get out of the ham mode, while still others can switch it on and off and back on again at will. (As an aside, it's very strange to hear Blessed with a fake British accent, considering that he is British)