05/10/09 [DMFA #1000] - Cyra's intro

Started by Baal Hadad, May 10, 2009, 02:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghostwish

Congratulations on 1000 comics, Amber. :goamber

And are the secret pages STILL secret? I mean, they must have been up for a while now. All these new folk coming in don't even know where to start.

Garsemor

Cyra really looks like she is coming from heaven. I mean whit the white light above her, the white wings and that smiling face + those white Gothic stile leathers. For the leader of a clan who's main affinity is pain she seems rather anti-painful. It is possible that Cyra inherited the pain affinity from her former clan (before she became tri-wing and founded her own clan) and then passed it down the next generations, perhaps she is peaceful like Dan, perhaps she didn't know she was a cubi until her headwings came in like Dan, perhaps she had a childhood like Dan, which would explain her positive approach, I mean visiting Dan in a dream seems like it is important, if your a clan founder you don't have the time to contact every new cubi to the clan, there has got to be a higher purpose to this, you don't waste time and power to visit or contact someone just to say hi.

inuhanyo

Quote from: iownpants on May 10, 2009, 11:19:33 AM
Methinks that, while it is certainly true Cyra is a clan founder and quite powerful, she is not lacking the cubi ego.  Seems a bit arrogant to me to come down upon Dan all, I am your god!  Also, am I the only one who sees a mischievous smirk instead of a gentle smile?  Maybe I'm crazy.

Her smile is pretty much symmetrical.  It's just that her head is tilted slightly.  I imagine she's enjoying herself, though.

"It is good to finally meet you."  suggests Cyra has known about Dan for some time, and she does know his full first name.   I wonder how much and for how long, though.

Quote from: Garsemor on May 10, 2009, 12:06:55 PM
Cyra really looks like she is coming from heaven. I mean whit the white light above her, the white wings and that smiling face + those white Gothic stile leathers. For the leader of a clan who's main affinity is pain she seems rather anti-painful. It is possible that Cyra inherited the pain affinity from her former clan (before she became tri-wing and founded her own clan) and then passed it down the next generations, perhaps she is peaceful like Dan, perhaps she didn't know she was a cubi until her headwings came in like Dan, perhaps she had a childhood like Dan, which would explain her positive approach, I mean visiting Dan in a dream seems like it is important, if your a clan founder you don't have the time to contact every new cubi to the clan, there has got to be a higher purpose to this, you don't waste time and power to visit or contact someone just to say hi.

Dan is the newest member of her clan, and a large clan tops out at about eighty members.  And the Cubi birthrate is low, which is to be expected of a race that lives thousands of years.  And he just nearly got himself killed.  Justification enough for this visitation, though there certainly could be other reasons.

Leoleonardo

Just because we're new to the forum doesn't mean we're new to the comic, besides the secret pages ruin some of the plot mystery. Not everyone likes spoilers :P

Buhamet

Awesome!

hardly unexpected, but still awesome!

personally I'd been betting on this, or on Edward coming back to the Inn for some reason

Distracting

...and then Dan and Cyra will be best friends forever!

Good job, Amber! 1000 strips of quite possibly the best webcomic I've seen yet. You should bake a cake for the occasion. :B

bdplague

Quote from: Leoleonardo on May 10, 2009, 12:45:44 PM

Just because we're new to the forum doesn't mean we're new to the comic, besides the secret pages ruin some of the plot mystery. Not everyone likes spoilers :P

I've been lurking for eight years and I've still only found one. xD Let the babies search, it'll give them something to do.  :rolleyes:  :P

Congratz Amber! I really look forward to seeing what will come in the next one thousand.  >:3

Kipiru

As much as I hate to say it Fa'lina finally found a worthy opponent for the title of Cubi Goddess! Cyra rules!

Don

Congratulations on one-thousand wonderful comics Amber!

Must say though, Cyra looks simply amazing. She seems so welcoming, A heavenly figure, Motherly, yet also radiating sheer power. She truly is the vision of a goddess.

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 10, 2009, 08:41:09 AMAwesome.

Quote from: MT Hazard on May 10, 2009, 03:44:02 AM
While it is indeed a good font I have a little trouble reading it. Does she say 'hello Darid'?

I thought Cyra had messed up and called him "David" at first  :P
It was "Bello David" for me, which would imply  an italian cubi trying to seduce him  :U

Suddenly thought of a question,when a cubi couple has a kid, whose clan does the offspring belong to?
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

insidexml

Quote from: Jack McSlay on May 10, 2009, 02:35:09 PM
Suddenly thought of a question,when a cubi couple has a kid, whose clan does the offspring belong to?

:U Well, gee, I would imagine that the offspring belongs to the clan of the parents.

Do you mean if the parents are from different clans?

In that case, I don't really know. :<
"My existence is comprised of somebody else's delusions. It's the exact opposite of the past. How completely ironic."

-Baroquemonger

"Humans that tried to trespass on God's domain, and a god that simply appeared in the realm of humans. Which of these is more sinful?"

Mao

I think if two 'Cubi have a child it goes to the strong clan.  Don't remember where I got that impression though and I can't be bothered to look it up.

Sunblink

Quote from: Mao Laoren on May 10, 2009, 02:42:12 PM
I think if two 'Cubi have a child it goes to the strong clan.  Don't remember where I got that impression though and I can't be bothered to look it up.

You're right. When Cubi from different clans reproduce, the result will be born to the most powerful clan.

Source!

insidexml

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 10, 2009, 02:46:25 PM
You're right. When Cubi from different clans reproduce, the result will be born to the most powerful clan.

Source!

Your source gave me a 404 error :U
"My existence is comprised of somebody else's delusions. It's the exact opposite of the past. How completely ironic."

-Baroquemonger

"Humans that tried to trespass on God's domain, and a god that simply appeared in the realm of humans. Which of these is more sinful?"

Sunblink

Quote from: insidexml on May 10, 2009, 02:47:52 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 10, 2009, 02:46:25 PM

Source!

Your source gave me a 404 error :U

Oh balls. I edited the post; it should be fixed now. :B

Feather Dancer

Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Shadowcatcher

Yoiks!  It's CyZilla!!

Totally blown away by today's comic, congrats to Amber for an awesome 1000th comic!!

Can't wait to see where this is heading.  And Dan?  Mind your manners, Cyra might not be as tolerant with rudeness as Fa'lina is!

shadowterm

Am I the only person that thought of GLaDOS' line in portal: "Thank you for helping us help you help us all." when Cyra said Dan needed a friend that would help him help himself?

(The helps, there are to many of them! ARGH!)
/)//w//(\

tiggertoo

I think Dan's "...WOAH" says it all. Cyra's dressed a bit like an amazon -- I'm sure Dan appreciates it.  :mowhappy  I'm thinking Cyra will shrink down, laugh, then ask Dan if he liked her dramatic entrance.

Awesome - and I agree - this needs to be a desktop. Happy 1000th Amber!

inuhanyo

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on May 10, 2009, 02:54:36 PM
Can't wait to see where this is heading.  And Dan?  Mind your manners, Cyra might not be as tolerant with rudeness as Fa'lina is!

One of the virtues of such an awesome entrance is, Dan's going to be too impressed to be rude, for a while.   And Cyra's friendly self introduction helps in that regard as well.

Tapewolf

Quote from: tiggertoo on May 10, 2009, 03:15:53 PM
I think Dan's "...WOAH" says it all. Cyra's dressed a bit like an amazon -- I'm sure Dan appreciates it.  :mowhappy  I'm thinking Cyra will shrink down, laugh, then ask Dan if he liked her dramatic entrance.

Depends what she wants.  If we take Fa'Lina's line to Abel as gospel, the deeds of her clan are one of the main reasons 'Cubi have such a bad name among Beings and other Creatures.  That doesn't really speak well for her.

Now maybe she just wants to help him because she loves all her children, no matter that he wants to go around protecting people instead of gutting them.

Maybe she's even realised that what they've been doing in the past isn't sustainable as a way of living and wants to turn the clan around.  Rebrand it, so to speak.  In that case, Dan could be the first of a 'new breed of 'Cubi' who actively defend Beings from other Creatures.  That would certainly make Dan happy, but to be honest, I'm not hopeful.

I guess we'll find out, hopefully.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

inuhanyo

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 10, 2009, 04:01:01 PM
Now maybe she just wants to help him because she loves all her children, no matter that he wants to go around protecting people instead of gutting them.

Maybe she's even realised that what they've been doing in the past isn't sustainable as a way of living and wants to turn the clan around.  Rebrand it, so to speak.  In that case, Dan could be the first of a 'new breed of 'Cubi' who actively defend Beings from other Creatures.  That would certainly make Dan happy, but to be honest, I'm not hopeful.

I guess we'll find out, hopefully.

Taking care of her own seems the most likely motive, given her friendly greeting.  Or else she's a  Chessmaster, and is doing the friendly hello to disarm Dan's wariness, so he'll be easier  to "guide".

It would be nice if she sees in Dan a chance to shift her clan in a more sustainable direction.

If you think about it, Cyra Clan Cubi could do well in dentistry and medicine.  People in pain come to you, and you get to feed on their pain while helping them.  Just as that Siar Cubi was shown comforting the bereaved, while eating their misery.

Sunblink

Quote from: shadowterm on May 10, 2009, 02:59:10 PM
Am I the only person that thought of GLaDOS' line in portal: "Thank you for helping us help you help us all." when Cyra said Dan needed a friend that would help him help himself?

(The helps, there are to many of them! ARGH!)

Good god, now I'm going to be imagining Cyra speaking in Ellen McLain's voice all the time. THANKS A LOT >:[

Although honestly, that's not much of a problem seeing as Ellen McLain is awesome.

wtachi

Egna? She doesn't look like an Egna. *stares for a few minutes and compares to previous comic* Oh, it's Cyra!

I guess that's what I get for not memorizing all the character names mentioned in the comic. The use of fonts like this is a pet peeve of mine, though.

Tapewolf

Quote from: wtachi on May 10, 2009, 04:40:12 PM
The use of fonts like this is a pet peeve of mine, though.

She won't be able to say much like that.  Either she's going to talk very slowly (making Dan fall asleep in his dream a'la 508, or wake up or something) or else she's going to switch to a more normal mode of speech so that we get more than five words every panel  :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

BarGamer

I also request the hi-rez wallpaper of this. Cyra is HAWT!

tikitori

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_508.php

This is the biggest clue of her being a founder. If being a bio major taught me anything, it's that words like entire and all pretty much means no exceptions.

And since she's the sole survivor with headed wing-tentacles...

MT Hazard

Quote from: Ghostwish on May 10, 2009, 11:33:29 AM
Congratulations on 1000 comics, Amber. :goamber

And are the secret pages STILL secret? I mean, they must have been up for a while now. All these new folk coming in don't even know where to start.

If they ask the regulars nicely they will PM them the locations.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

tikitori

Quote from: wtachi on May 10, 2009, 04:40:12 PM
Egna? She doesn't look like an Egna. *stares for a few minutes and compares to previous comic* Oh, it's Cyra!

I guess that's what I get for not memorizing all the character names mentioned in the comic. The use of fonts like this is a pet peeve of mine, though.

It was a little difficult (especially in white!) but I think it's just for show. I love the fact she 'sounds' and looks like an absolute angel.

Anri

Quote from: tikitori on May 10, 2009, 05:15:52 PM
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_508.php

This is the biggest clue of her being a founder. If being a bio major taught me anything, it's that words like entire and all pretty much means no exceptions.

And since she's the sole survivor with headed wing-tentacles...

Pretty much this, yes. :3