Two things I want in anime

Started by Howl, April 09, 2009, 11:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howl

1 - Less of those anime effects. Repeating things three times, a bunch of lines as the background, the only good one is the Luminescent Blush (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LuminescentBlush), because it doesn't get in the way of everything.

2 - An anime in based in Medieval Europe. Preferably without the pre mentioned effects.

insidexml

I've read manga that're based in Medieval Europe. Or at least Europe a few centuries ago.

Does that count?
"My existence is comprised of somebody else's delusions. It's the exact opposite of the past. How completely ironic."

-Baroquemonger

"Humans that tried to trespass on God's domain, and a god that simply appeared in the realm of humans. Which of these is more sinful?"

Howl

Either one to itself is fine. But [adult swim] showing Inuyasha so much some time ago got me sick of the feudal japan thing. I like Medieval Europe better, too.

Turnsky

Quote from: Minishear on April 09, 2009, 11:08:46 PM
1 - Less of those anime effects. Repeating things three times, a bunch of lines as the background, the only good one is the Luminescent Blush (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LuminescentBlush), because it doesn't get in the way of everything.

2 - An anime in based in Medieval Europe. Preferably without the pre mentioned effects.

you can start by getting off adult swim and looking up some real anime, instead of regurgitated crap.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Howl

*doesn't get anime network or the sort*

Zina

Try reading manga.
It wont have ANY of those effects.

Valynth

Quote from: Zina on April 10, 2009, 03:43:47 AM
Try reading manga.

I wish I had such a place, but alas, I be in 'Bama, the American capital of Xenophobia and tarifs.
I wonder if Georgia has any open housing...
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Turnsky

Quote from: Zina on April 10, 2009, 03:43:47 AM
Try reading manga.

but then he'll complain about there not being any color  :U

i don't get anime channels either, but there's little thing known as bittorrent....  :B

Howl

I ain't downloading anime. It'll take up space that I could be using for something else.

Turnsky

Quote from: Minishear on April 10, 2009, 05:33:04 AM
I ain't downloading anime. It'll take up space that I could be using for something else.

your google-fu is weak.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/

Arcalane

Quote from: Minishear on April 10, 2009, 05:33:04 AM

Oooh, quantum storage! You never know whether or not it's in use 'til you look at it! Sure ain't our problem. :P

Mao

Quote from: Arcalane on April 10, 2009, 05:42:55 AM
Oooh, quantum storage! You never know whether or not it's in use 'til you look at it! Sure ain't our problem. :P

No no, that's Schrödinger's usb drive you're thinking of.

Howl

Tapewolf

Quote from: Arcalane on April 10, 2009, 05:42:55 AM

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why Single Electron Memory is a very bad idea.  Also it's contributing to the unreliability of modern components - whereas a bit state used to consist of a cloud of thousands and thousands of electrons, it's now down to hundreds or dozens, and quantum effects are actually starting to become a real problem.

[I'll let you have your joke back now]

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

JackLee1978

1.Berserk
2.Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight
3.Escaflowne
4.Louie the Rune Soulder
5.Sorcerer Hunters
6.Those Who Hunt Elves
7. Slayers

I recommend waiting for Right Stuf to have a sale on anime and manga

Alondro

Quote from: JackLee1978 on April 10, 2009, 11:53:31 AM

1.Berserk
2.Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight
3.Escaflowne
4.Louie the Rune Soulder
5.Sorcerer Hunters
6.Those Who Hunt Elves
7. Slayers

I recommend waiting for Right Stuf to have a sale on anime and manga

Escaflowne is in the present day, set on the magical world of Gaia, which has a mixture of Medieval/modern/magic tech, which shares some sort of orbital parameters with Earth, upon which Isaac Newton lives as Emperor Dornkirk and wants to use the Fate Prognostication Engine to create his ideal future of order using the power of Atlantis that the Draconians hid away after they nearly wiped themselves out. 

Not exactly Medieval Earth setting.   :3 
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Alondro on April 10, 2009, 12:16:21 PM
Escaflowne is in the present day, set on the magical world of Gaia, which has a mixture of Medieval/modern/magic tech, which shares some sort of orbital parameters with Earth, upon which Isaac Newton lives as Emperor Dornkirk and wants to use the Fate Prognostication Engine to create his ideal future of order using the power of Atlantis that the Draconians hid away after they nearly wiped themselves out. 

*looks askance at his Escaflowne dvd*

Right. I'll just... think about that a bit.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Arcalane

Quote from: Alondro on April 10, 2009, 12:16:21 PMEscaflowne is in the present day, set on the magical world of Gaia, which has a mixture of Medieval/modern/magic tech, which shares some sort of orbital parameters with Earth, upon which Isaac Newton lives as Emperor Dornkirk and wants to use the Fate Prognostication Engine to create his ideal future of order using the power of Atlantis that the Draconians hid away after they nearly wiped themselves out. 

You forgot the giant robots. They were pretty awesome giant robots too. :3

Alondro

Quote from: Arcalane on April 10, 2009, 02:26:41 PM
Quote from: Alondro on April 10, 2009, 12:16:21 PMEscaflowne is in the present day, set on the magical world of Gaia, which has a mixture of Medieval/modern/magic tech, which shares some sort of orbital parameters with Earth, upon which Isaac Newton lives as Emperor Dornkirk and wants to use the Fate Prognostication Engine to create his ideal future of order using the power of Atlantis that the Draconians hid away after they nearly wiped themselves out. 

You forgot the giant robots. They were pretty awesome giant robots too. :3

I was just focusing on the underlying plot and basic setting.  If I got into the Melefs, then I'd have to describe the drag-energists, which some sort of biogenic limitless power crystal thingees (kinda like Evangelion S-2 engines, but not as powerful) are either taken from dead fossilized dragons or live ones (Pyroduck would be a bit miffed at this, I suspect) and used as power sources for the giant robots and other things. 

See, I had to describe it.  Now I'm going home cuz I've been at work since yesterday morning and I'm tired.   :P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Caswin

Quote from: Turnsky on April 10, 2009, 12:05:17 AM
you can start by getting off adult swim and looking up some real anime, instead of regurgitated crap.
You mean Astro Boy, Death Note, Big O and Gigantor weren't real? 'A'
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Minishear on April 09, 2009, 11:08:46 PM1 - Less of those anime effects. Repeating things three times, a bunch of lines as the background, the only good one is the Luminescent Blush (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LuminescentBlush), because it doesn't get in the way of everything.

Berserk answers both

But I personally don't see a big problem with anime effects. Some cartoons abuse slow motion for the same purposes, and action lines is much better than the cartoons on the past that made up long running scenes with repeated backgrounds
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Pagan

Quote from: Caswin on April 10, 2009, 02:51:30 PM
You mean Astro Boy, Death Note, Big O and Gigantor weren't real? 'A'

Dunno about the American version of Death Note or about Gigantor or Astro Boy, but Big O is good. Make no mistake.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Jack McSlay on April 10, 2009, 04:56:08 PM
Berserk answers both

But I personally don't see a big problem with anime effects. Some cartoons abuse slow motion for the same purposes, and action lines is much better than the cartoons on the past that made up long running scenes with repeated backgrounds

Medieval Europe didn't have steampunk arm cannons and BFSes that put a zweihander to shame. *cough*

And frankly, to respond to the original post, if you want something different... look it up, research, and then go -buy- it. I've found some fun anime that way.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Turnsky

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on April 11, 2009, 12:56:58 AM
And frankly, to respond to the original post, if you want something different... look it up, research, and then go -buy- it. I've found some fun anime that way.

but that would be too easy, you know he'd want it spoonfed to him.  >:3

Alondro

Speaking of anime (or badly regurgitated anime-made-into-live-action, as it were) the Dragon Ball movie opened in wide release last week.

I have to ask myself:  Why? 

I saw it fan-subbed.  It was bad enough without what I'm told was a horrible dubbing job.  The movie is an anal rape of what was already well acknowledged as an over-the-top cliche series (though fun enough in its own way).  The movie had nothing even worth turning into a joke.  There will be no "IT'S OVER 9000!!" jokes coming out of this.  Egoraptor will not parody the movie.  It is so horrible you just want to stab the portion of your brain where the memory is burned into your synapses and purge it forever. 

I am amazed how much crap like this gets greenlighted.  I really need to find the suckers they're robbing and get some bling for myself!  As i've said before, I can make a crappy movie for HALF what the others guys are getting!  It's a bargain!    :deal

Howl

I'm taking the time to watch Onmyou Taisenki now.

In Europe? No.

Effects? Heavy on them.

Oh well, it has something I was looking for.

Rakala

I think the main aspect you need in an anime is that it has to definitively end at some point. Otherwise things just get more and more longwinded and ridiculous and you just lose interest. Similar to Inu Yasha or Dragonball Z.

Howl

Dragon Ball Z: The only anime that spends fifteen episodes charging an attack.

Caswin

Bear in mind that Dragonball Z did end eventually.  In fact, its creator wanted to end it twice before that, but The Powers That Be made him write two more story arcs.

On that note, for what it's worth, I can, in reasonably good conscience, recommend Dragonball.  To name a few of its advantages: the first season covers a great deal more plot than its successor in half as many episodes, a fight lasting more than one episode is a special event, the power levels (so to speak) are within human comprehension, and it can be pretty funny sometimes.

(And for the uninitiated: Fifteen episodes is an exaggeration.  An attack would take, at most, one episode to charge.  And it would have to be a big attack.  I am fully aware that this is not really helping the show's case.)
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Tezkat

Quote from: Alondro on April 13, 2009, 10:25:09 AM
Speaking of anime (or badly regurgitated anime-made-into-live-action, as it were) the Dragon Ball movie opened in wide release last week.

I have to ask myself:  Why? 

Gawd, that thing was horrible. I mean really, really, really, really bad. A movie that was actually good may have been too much to ask for, but I'd kinda been hoping for sucktastic So Bad It's Good film. That would have at least entertained me. But no. It's just a few anguished hours of my life that I'll never get back. Think extra long episode of Power Rangers, only with even worse acting and writing. Ugh. :dface

Quote from: Minishear on April 13, 2009, 01:33:52 PM
I'm taking the time to watch Onmyou Taisenki now.

In Europe? No.

Effects? Heavy on them.

Oh well, it has something I was looking for.

Cute furries? :kittycool

You'd be hard pressed to find a series that was any more Japanese than Onmyou Taisenki. :animesweat

Out of curiosity, were you looking for actual historical pieces or merely fantasy shows with a European aesthetic? The latter are probably more common than their medieval Japanese counterparts simply because the popular fantasy genre is all Tolkien's fault. :3 The former... not so much in the Middle Ages. Aside from retellings of Arthurian legend, most of those shows are set after the Renaissance.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...