Free Artist!

Started by Alteisentier, January 31, 2009, 08:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alteisentier

Well, here we go.

Nope, still no idea how to phrase it. I'll let Hazzy do it for me.

<Hazzy> Alt: "I can draw comics for you. :D"

Yes, that's exactly what I want to do. I my self am terrible at writing plot, story and characters, yet have always wanted to partake in drawing a comic, or atleast have a project to be able to work on with a regular schedule, something to fill in all my free time and give me a goal to work towards, make my art alittle more than random bursts of sketches and paintings whenever I feel like it. So.. I'm just gonna offer my self to draw a comic. Any comic, some other forumites suggested that I should just throw this question out. Reasoning that there are probably plenty of people who can write and script but can't draw, just like I can draw, but can't write a damn plot to save my life. So, yeah. Have at ye. If something serious ever comes of this i've a pair of domains already registered that I don't really use for anything but general file hosting, which could be used for hosting a comic. As long as someone could put a website together..  So yeah, i'm just wondering if anyone out there has a unique and interesting idea, and wants to team up.

Guess I should throw in a link to my art thread too. http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,4220.msg260201.html#new
*WARNING: MAY BE BRUTALLY HONEST TO THE POINT OF INSULTING YOUR FACE; MOTHER; AND POSSIBLY YOUR DOG. PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE FURTHER DOSES IF REDUCED TO A BLUBBERING PILE OF TEARS*

Valynth

At last! The time for me to leech off an artist!  To draw comics!

Damn it, I've got nothing.  Well, I've got something, but it isn't in writing yet and would take a long time to fully write-out.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

superluser

No!  Just the opportunity I've been looking for for all these years!

And with an artist who has shown himself capable of actually drawing in a style similar to the style I'm looking for!

Augh!

I'll send you a brief synopsis via PM, with a fuller synopsis later.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

techmaster-glitch

Whao...what you're offering... a free artist webcomic partnership to anyone...that's gotta be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Almost makes me wish I actually had a developed, good concept to pitch :/

I can't wait to see whatever is produced from whoever you decide to partner up with :) Your art is quite good (and I'm not just saying that because you've drawn robots :P ).

Kipiru

Wow, that should be good, I can't wait to see what comes out of it!

Lysander

Whatever the comic will be it will be good, especially if it's made of Mechs.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

GabrielsThoughts

I am a threat to your existence, since I can both write and draw... ok got something for you

CALVIN
(O.S.)Ok, so you're probably wondering where we came from, or why we can talk. The simplest answer to both these questions is Satan. Of course that would be a lie. The truth is we were created in a laboratory. Cloned from chipmunk DNA as part of a privately funded research project by the RIAA.

INT. LABORATORY
Chipmunk perspective. We see an extreme close up of a human face warped by glass, plastic, etc.

GREG
They're amazing!

The camera cuts to a cowboy shot of Greg leaning over the table peering through a clear plastic or glass shell. A scientist is standing behind him adjusting his glasses. Inside the shell the chipmunks are scratching themselves

SCIENTIST
Indeed, of the 666 embryos we created in the lab these three were the only ones to survive to maturation.

GREG
Interesting, do they do anything?

SCIENTIST
We weren't exactly clear on why the RIAA wanted to make them in the first place. In fact, the boys in the lab had a wager going to see if anyone from the RIAA was going to show up to see the final product. Guess I lost.

GREG
Well what the hell am I supposed to do with them?

SCIENTIST
Well, we could always euthanize them. But, it seems like a waste of thirteen billion dollars.

GREG
Go for it.

CALVIN
(mimicking Greg)Go for it.

GREG
Did he just talk?

CALVIN
Did he just tock?

SCIENTIST
Yes, it seams to be a result of their genetic manipulation. They can mimic just about anything. My daughter likes the little one.

AGADOR
I'm sexy, I'm Cute, I'm popular to boot.

GREG
Do you think they know we're talking about them?

SCIENTIST
I doubt it. Mostly they're just-

MIMAS
Free the caterpillars, liberate the caterpillars.

CALVIN
Free the caterpillars!

AGADOR
Free the caterpillars!

SCIENTIST
...Annoying.

GREG
I don't know, with the right marketing we can sell anything.

SCIENTIST
You expect people to pay money to hear squeaky munchkin voices.

GREG
We control 90% of the American music industry. America listens to what we tell them too.

SCIENTIST
any way I can cash in on this as well?

CUT TO

EXT.RIAA HEADQUARTERS
We see a 2009 black Lexus hybrid enter past a security checkpoint. The driver, Greg, exchanges a few pleasantries with the guard before entering the facility. We then see the Lexus enter a reserved parking space. Greg then exit's the car with a small cat carrier and walks up to the entrance, swipes a card and enters a 12 digit code. There is a beep and the door opens.

INT.RIAA HEADQUARTERS
Greg enters an elevator. And pushes button for the 3rd floor. While he's waiting a hidden robotic arm detaches itself from the wall. The robotic arm has a scanner that passes over Greg's body starting from his feet to the top of his head; revealing internal organs momentarily as it sweeps. After completing it's initial sweep the scanner of the arm reconfigures itself momentarily morphing into a retinal scanner. After shining a laser across Greg's eyes the arm retracts.

MECHANICAL VOICE
Greg Flanders, Confirmed.

The door to the elevator slides open and Greg exit's the elevator. He then walks up to the reception desk.

GREG
Excuse me, I have a meeting with Mr.Halliburton.

MONICA
Go in, he's been expecting you.

Monica then pushes a button to unlock the door to Halliburton's office. The double doors automatically open to the outside.

HALLIBURTON
Ah! Greg, to what do I owe this pleasure.

GREG
Sir, I've discovered who was responsible for the profit drain during the last quarter, and have eliminated the problem.

HALLIBURTON
Good job number one, I take it there is something else you wanted to discuss.

GREG
As a matter of fact, there is something I felt you should see.

Greg places the cat carrier on Halliburton's desk and opens the gate. Calvin, Mimas, and Agador tentatively exit the cat carrier.

GREG
A few years ago someone from R&D decided to invest in vibro-acoustic aphrodisiacs, Memetic audio physics, and hypno-acoustic melodies. Unfortunately, after it was approved the whole project was apparently forgotten.

We see Calvin sitting patiently picking his nose. Mimas has apparently mummified himself with the tape dispenser and Agador is busy messing with the stapler

HALLIBURTON
I see.

GREG
Allow me to present the Squirrel Nut Slackers!

CALVIN
Hey guys, Check out this green thing I pulled out of my nose.

Calvin stares amazed at the booger in the palm of his hand.

MIMAS
Cool!

Mimas trips over his feet as his left foot gets stuck on sticky tape and falls on his face.

AGADOR
Mine!

Agador rushes Calvin and eats the bugger off of Calvin's palm. Mimas is still fiddling around with tape.

CALVIN
Eww!

MIMAS
(whining)Awe! I wanted some.

GREG
Boys!

CALVIN, MIMAS, and AGADOR
What?

GREG
Show Mr.Halliburton the routine.

(dancing the kangaroo hop)Circle, circle, dot, dot I just got my cootie shot.

Once the chipmunks have their rhythm down they stop dancing and Calvin begins to sing.

CALVIN
Who's the one to take you in at night, and told you everything was gonna be all white...

It was Mama.

CALVIN
And, who's the one that would understand if you broke that vase in the living room.

It was Mama. Oh, mamma.

CAlVIN
And, who's the one that wood undersand-

HALLIBURTON
I've heard enough. They can't carry a tune.

GREG
They've already cost the company thirteen billion dollars, and I've only had them an hour. Imagine what we could accomplish if I had them for a week.

HALLIBURTON
Get rid of them. They're disgusting, and I can't see anyone willing to pay hard earned money to see a bunch of mutant gerbils singing on stage.

GREG
That's not a problem we could use view screens and-

HALLIBUTON
I'll make this easy for you. I'll contact PETA and they'll do the job for us.

GREG
But sir, PETA kills the animals it rescues.

HALLIBUTON
What's your point?

GREG
Wouldn't it be easier and more cost effective to abandon them in a park somewhere? I'm sure they wouldn't last the night.

HALLIBURTON
I like the way you think.

FADE OUT

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Lysander on February 01, 2009, 10:34:10 AM
Whatever the comic will be it will be good, especially if it's made of Mechs.   :januscat
Oh yes, indeed. In fact, one of the half-baked concepts I've got bouncing around my head involves mech/robots, which Alt is excellent at drawing :3

Makes me a little jealous, really. But I do want to see whatever comes of this.

EDIT: Oh, and uh, GabrielsThoughts? If that's your webcomic concept pitch, 1), you should probably make a summary overview of the concept's premise, not a script, and 2), you should probably PM it to Alteisentier, not post it here.
Just some suggestions...

Alteisentier

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on February 01, 2009, 02:03:38 PM
Quote from: Lysander on February 01, 2009, 10:34:10 AM
Oh yes, indeed. In fact, one of the half-baked concepts I've got bouncing around my head involves mech/robots, which Alt is excellent at drawing :3

Makes me a little jealous, really. But I do want to see whatever comes of this.

EDIT: Oh, and uh, GabrielsThoughts? If that's your webcomic concept pitch, 1), you should probably make a summary overview of the concept's premise, not a script, and 2), you should probably PM it to Alteisentier, not post it here.
Just some suggestions...

I don't really mind if this thread becomes a free for all of ideas, shout out whatever random crazy things lurk in those minds. Such lengthy scripts are probably best for PMs though. :P
*WARNING: MAY BE BRUTALLY HONEST TO THE POINT OF INSULTING YOUR FACE; MOTHER; AND POSSIBLY YOUR DOG. PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE FURTHER DOSES IF REDUCED TO A BLUBBERING PILE OF TEARS*

Dekari

Oh no....an opportunity that I should attempt to partake in ><

Yet, I probably won't try too hard to make an attempt.  I mean, come on, it would mean I would have to stop being lazy and finish out my writings.  I like being lazy. :boogie

But, have a look if you want.
I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Thanks go to Kipiru and Rhyfe for the art work used in avatars.

http://drakedekari.deviantart.com/

Ryudo Lee

This would be a fun opportunity to turn one of my RP's into a comic.  The best one that comes to mind is my most recent, Brotherhood of the Machine.  I was going to write it into a sci-fi novel after the initial play-through, or make it into some sort of D20 Modern module... but this would be much more interesting.  Of course, there would be a few issues to work out, getting permission from the players to use their characters, and it couldn't be started until the Rp is done, which at this rate would take a long time.  Thoughts on this?  I'm sure one or two of the BotM players are watching this thread.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Lisky

... you are correct, and i have absolutely no issues with someone turning darkshine into a comic character... i pulled the first picture of the character himself because i have a fixed rough draft, along with a secondary draft i'll have up tomorrow...

If you want something darker, i can PM you Viesigar's story... either that, or if you want something where the main character isn't a sociopath with 0 accountability i can also send you either something on a collection of troops known as The Enigma Battalion, or i can send you a few of my short stories based on missions of the Shadow Hand... i'd love to see how someone else visualizes them

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on February 01, 2009, 10:32:06 PM
Thoughts on this?  I'm sure one or two of the BotM players are watching this thread.

I'd have no objection whatsoever.  I can provide references for Dorcan if need be.

**EDIT**

As for not starting until it's finished, I strongly disagree.  If the project goes ahead, Start as soon as possible.  As someone who's already doing a writing->comic conversion, I can say fairly safely that you've already got enough material to keep you going for years and years of weekly updates, taking 'Project Future' as a guide.

My suggestion would be to break what you have so far into arcs and chapters (this is what I did with PF).  The first arc would be the recruitment and the first mission.  The second arc the second mission and so on.  Unless you're doing daily updates or the RP goes on extended hiatus, I can virtually guarantee that you'll be producing new material much, much faster than you're converting it into comic format.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ryudo Lee

Hmm, Tape has a good point.  I don't foresee BotM falling off the face of the earth like my old rp from The Nice did.  I have a story to tell here and I want to see this one through, be it through the RP or some other medium, be it a book or webcomic or what have you.

In the end, it's a matter of if Alteisentier even wants to work on this idea (or any webcomic artist at that).  Isn't that what this thread is about, finding a project he'd like to attach himself to?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on February 02, 2009, 12:08:59 PM
Hmm, Tape has a good point.  I don't foresee BotM falling off the face of the earth like my old rp from The Nice did.  I have a story to tell here and I want to see this one through, be it through the RP or some other medium, be it a book or webcomic or what have you.
Quite.  If it does somehow wither away, you can always continue as a scripted story.

QuoteIn the end, it's a matter of if Alteisentier even wants to work on this idea (or any webcomic artist at that).
Very much so.  Either way, I hope it works out - it would be fun to see.

**EDIT**
If you're serious about it, start writing the script for the comic.  Even if it falls through with Alt, the script will still be handy should you find another artist.  I can give you more details on what I did if it's useful, but OTOH as you say, I don't really want to clutter Alt's thread with this one project  :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dekari

For the benefit of everyone here, I have a few questions for you.

Looking back at your art work, it seems that your strong areas are Demonic, Dragon (and dragon like beings), and Mecha.  With that in mind, I want to ask you, what do you want to draw?  What kind of stories interest you?  Do you want to work on something your used to or something new?

I ask these questions because I think if you are going to team up with someone and make a comic, I, like everyone here, would rather see you working on a project that you enjoy working on.

A script can always be changed to fit the art style....however an art style should never be changed to fit the script.
I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Thanks go to Kipiru and Rhyfe for the art work used in avatars.

http://drakedekari.deviantart.com/

Alteisentier

Quote from: Dekari on February 02, 2009, 12:32:30 PM

Looking back at your art work, it seems that your strong areas are Demonic, Dragon (and dragon like beings), and Mecha.  With that in mind, I want to ask you, what do you want to draw?  What kind of stories interest you?  Do you want to work on something your used to or something new?

I ask these questions because I think if you are going to team up with someone and make a comic, I, like everyone here, would rather see you working on a project that you enjoy working on.

A script can always be changed to fit the art style....however an art style should never be changed to fit the script.

Quite a good point, when it comes down to it I've never really been much for cute of fuzzy things and in honesty i'd probably be more drawn (haha pun) to doing a more serious styled comic than a comedy or skit based one. Anything with a theme in robotics or sci-fi, future type of stuf would be a bonus. Though while I like dragons I've no preferance on doing a furry comic over one featuring normal people.. I'm totally up for working outside my comfort zones though.

Mao

If Altei draws it, you can count me as a viewer.... wait... that's not a deterrent is it?

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Alteisentier on February 02, 2009, 03:13:32 PM
Quote from: Dekari on February 02, 2009, 12:32:30 PM

Quite a good point, when it comes down to it I've never really been much for cute of fuzzy things and in honesty i'd probably be more drawn (haha pun) to doing a more serious styled comic than a comedy or skit based one. Anything with a theme in robotics or sci-fi, future type of stuf would be a bonus. Though while I like dragons I've no preferance on doing a furry comic over one featuring normal people.. I'm totally up for working outside my comfort zones though.

That pretty much describes Brotherhood of the Machine.  Interested?