Magic

Started by blarca, January 19, 2009, 07:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blarca

I'm really sorry if this has been talked to death already, but I couldn't the answer to my question else where. 

So you know where Abel is showing a reticent Dan the joys of magic, and all of a sudden a bunch of swords appear out of thin air?  How does he do that?  I was thinking it over, and the only answers that I could come up with are that
-He created an illusion of a bunch of swords, probably by either manipulating the light or by creating a film of magic that looks like a sword (kinda like a 3D model in that they would be just a shell having no thickness ).
-He transmuted the air around himself so that it was a bunch of swords.
-He condensed his magic so that it mimicked the physical characteristics of the swords.
-He teleported them from some where else.
-He rearranged the structure of the local molecules so that they made allot of swords.

I realize that this isn't really that important  It's just that I'm trying to figure out how the DMFA magic system works, and since this was the only blatant use of magic that I could think of, I figured that it would be a good place to start.

VSMIT

I think it's the last one.  They can't be just an illusion because Abel did use those swords to hold down Merlitz during their "fight."  I don't think there's enough iron/whatever in the air to be able to make swords simply out of thin air.  I'm not sure you can condense magic to have a solid body.  From his reaction to Fa'Lina's teleporting in Abel's Story 2, I'd think that teleportation without a Warp Aci would be an arduous task, especially if moving all of those swords at the same time.

Although I could be pulling all of this out of nothing...

Tapewolf

My guess is he stuffed them into some kind of hyperrealm.  Remember the mirror trick?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

bill

you don't have to explain "magic", bro

Tapewolf

Quote from: bill on January 19, 2009, 07:40:03 PM
I think we're asking what he did, not how it was done...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tyranastrasz

Magic Origami ftw.

also, the second and fifth options appear to be almost exactly the same, but worded differently.

Naldru

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 19, 2009, 08:17:50 PM
I reckon he used Origami...
Ah yes, the dreaded origami sword of death by a thousand paper cuts.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: Naldru on January 19, 2009, 09:59:40 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 19, 2009, 08:17:50 PM
I reckon he used Origami...
Ah yes, the dreaded origami sword of death by a thousand paper cuts.
... I hope I wasn't the only one who thought "SWORD OF A THOUSAND FOLDS!!!!" (in reference to "Make Love, Not Warcraft" episode of South Park) when I read that post.

blarca

the second option that he turned the oxygen and nitrogen atoms into iron, carbon and such.  While the fifth means that he took preexisting iron and carbon atoms and condensed them into the proper shape.  Sure the last step is the same but in terms of difficulty, and skill the accomplish the two would be radically different. 

Sofox

"Science is what we pretend to understand, Magic is what we confess we don't understand."

Sunblink

Tiger_T

Well, since iron is largely regarded as 'Magic-immune' in some fantasy settings, the options where he - in some way or another- summons the iron  for the swords, seems rather unlikely.  :3
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

AmigaDragon

Quote from: blarca on January 19, 2009, 07:04:22 PM
I was thinking it over, and the only answers that I could come up with are that
-He created an illusion of a bunch of swords, probably by either manipulating the light or by creating a film of magic that looks like a sword (kinda like a 3D model in that they would be just a shell having no thickness ).
-He transmuted the air around himself so that it was a bunch of swords.
-He condensed his magic so that it mimicked the physical characteristics of the swords.
-He teleported them from some where else.
-He rearranged the structure of the local molecules so that they made allot of swords.

You forgot one option :shapeshifters , He could have shapeshifted them from himself like Aary's outfit change. They don't need to be as hard and sharp as real swords to have a realistic appearance.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Kipiru

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 19, 2009, 07:50:28 PM
I think we're asking what he did, not how it was done...

With an incantation, with just a thought, by clapping hands- I really can't understand people who try to see logic or physical laws in magic! That's why it is magic- it's impossible by any realistic explanation!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kipiru on January 20, 2009, 03:19:22 PM
With an incantation, with just a thought, by clapping hands- I really can't understand people who try to see logic or physical laws in magic! That's why it is magic- it's impossible by any realistic explanation!
Maybe my last point was unclear.  I think (hope) we're trying to figure out what Abel is capable of doing, not trying to explain the mechanism he uses to do it.

Turnsky

hard to believe no body even considered that it all may just be an illusion, i mean Abel -does- love confusion, does he not?

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Sofox

It was considered that it was an illusion; the conclusion was that it would be pretty hard to pin Merlitz to the floor with "illusions".

Lego3400

The summoning of swords took place at SAIA while the fight with P-ducky  took place at lost lake. Those were likely some of Dan's many swords

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Lego3400 on January 21, 2009, 08:36:47 AM
The summoning of swords took place at SAIA while the fight with P-ducky  took place at lost lake. Those were likely some of Dan's many swords

... What has P-ducky got to do with the fight with Merlitz? Merlitz was at SAIA as well...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Alondro

The swords were all Zanpaktou!  Abel is really an Espada!!   D:
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

AmigaDragon

Umm... okay, whatever those are...
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: Alondro on January 21, 2009, 09:15:22 AM

GASP! :O

...I wonder how he got through training with hemophobia? O.o

Tiger_T

>:3 Very carefully. :rolleyes
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Madmann135

Espada are hollow that gained the power of the shinigami.  Visoreds (Vizard) are Shinagimi that gained the ability of hollow transformation [hollowization.  Example Kurosaki Ichigo].
Mad thinks you are thinking of the Visoreds/Vizard.

Mad has the answer and it is so simple. 
Abel used teleportation and hammer-space.
With Dan, Abel wanted to stress the usefulness of magic so he used the weapons he had in hammer-space and weapons he knew that were nearby and teleported them into his tendrils.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Madmann135 on January 22, 2009, 01:47:02 AM

Espada are hollow that gained the power of the shinigami.  Visoreds (Vizard) are Shinagimi that

...I still have no idea what you guys are talking about. I guess I'll go back to my cave and sleep.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Georg Philipp Telemann - Suite for Viola da gamba & Strings (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes

Turnsky

Quote from: AmigaDragon on January 22, 2009, 03:28:59 AM
Quote from: Madmann135 on January 22, 2009, 01:47:02 AM

Espada are hollow that gained the power of the shinigami.  Visoreds (Vizard) are Shinagimi that

...I still have no idea what you guys are talking about. I guess I'll go back to my cave and sleep.

bleach nerds, best ignore them.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

AmigaDragon

If they want to drink bleach, bleach all their clothes and hair or whatever, I'll let them. :mowwink

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Dilermando Reis - Waltz: If She Asks (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes

RyuuYareYare

You take my bleach away. thats true