Axis Powers Hetalia

Started by Fex, January 19, 2009, 04:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fex

This is a Japanese manga about the world.

Every country is turned in the stereotype of that specific country.
They do crazy stuff and you can only laugh about it so funny is it.
Though not every country has been shown yet but lots have so I really recommend this comic to you guys. But because most people can't read Japanese ... just like me ^^ I have found a site which translate the comics. So have fun  :mowcookie

http://nisecal.googlepages.com/

Omega

:milklaugh

Nice, very nice. Very stereotypical, very accurate, except my country's character, though.

Fex

and what is that country then? and whats wrong with it?

Omega

The first person to guess my nation gets a cookie.

Robbychu

Italy? :U Or Canada, maybe.

I love how America is portrayed. BIGGEST ATTENTION WHORE EVER, THAT'S OUR AMERICA. :)
THIS POST WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY ALL CAPS. :)

Rheeeeeeeee...

Omega

Italy? Come now. Do I really seem that incompetent?  :confused

and not Canada either.

Edit: Those war stories about Italy are actually quite true and made me laugh many times over.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Omega on January 19, 2009, 03:34:05 PM
The first person to guess my nation gets a cookie.

Hrm. According to your IP address, it's [censored], but that'd be cheating. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Fex

Omega

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 19, 2009, 06:24:51 PM

Hrm. According to your IP address, it's [censored], but that'd be cheating. ;-]
Well, I have to give some clues, but most of them are fake.

No, I'm not the Russia either, comrade

llearch n'n'daCorna

I figured it wasn't guessing, it was looking.

But yes, as you say, you have to give some clues.

Omega

I already have! You just have to see them.

Robbychu

America? UK? Because as much as I like them, I've heard of people freaking out about how bad the representation is. Although how you could be mad when America can toss bison as a kid is beyond me... :U

Or maybe France. Because I can see how that could get you irritated if you're from there. *is totally not guessing blindly wtf are you talking about*
THIS POST WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY ALL CAPS. :)

Rheeeeeeeee...

Brunhidden

try more obscure countries, like Liechtenstein

..... i once had an English teacher who had that on every weeks spelling test
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Janus Whitefurr

For anime fans: Thank to tvtropes, I have learned that Axis Powers Hetalia will have an anime.

The most important part is that America is voiced by the same person who did Kamina, of Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann fame.

That is all.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agencyâ„¢. And possibly spy cameras.

Omega

*snore*

Wh-wha? This quiz's still on?

Quote from: Robbychu on January 25, 2009, 09:52:07 PM
America? UK?
Or maybe France.

Quote from: Brunhidden on January 25, 2009, 11:17:21 PM
like Liechtenstein

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on January 26, 2009, 01:53:40 PM
Greece?

No, no, no, nope and afraid not.

More hints:
*I have two native languages and English is neither of them.
*Beer is very expensive in here.
*My country played a more or less significant side role during the WWII, which I'd like to be made into a Hetalia comic.

superluser

Quote from: Omega on January 27, 2009, 02:19:49 PMMore hints:
*I have two native languages and English is neither of them.
*Beer is very expensive in here.
*My country played a more or less significant side role during the WWII, which I'd like to be made into a Hetalia comic.

Hmmm...given this, was your country neutral in WWII?

(but then, is Swiss beer really expensive?)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Corgatha Taldorthar

Yugoslavia? (not that it exists anymore, but one of the breakup states?)
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Omega

Quote from: superluser on January 27, 2009, 02:58:01 PM

Hmmm...given this, was your country neutral in WWII?

(but then, is Swiss beer really expensive?)

That is debateable

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on January 27, 2009, 02:58:46 PM
Yugoslavia? (not that it exists anymore, but one of the breakup states?)
no

Corgatha Taldorthar

Omega

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Omega on January 27, 2009, 03:59:12 PM
Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on January 27, 2009, 03:57:49 PM
Sweden?
Would that really make a good war story?

Swedish iron imports were a significant factor in German armament projects.

But I'm going to make a slighlty risky inference from your statement that you hail from a country that fought and will guess............... Belgium

Omega

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on January 27, 2009, 04:30:47 PM
Belgium
Miss

Another hint: This country had to fight both the Axis and the Allies during the war (though not at the same time, thank god.)

Corgatha Taldorthar

The only two countries I can think of that would fit that bill are Italy and Romania. Either of them? (possibly any Italian wartime satellites like Etheopia or Libya if you really want to be technical about it)

Valynth

*tries a shot in the dark*

Croatia?
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Valynth on January 27, 2009, 04:57:05 PM
*tries a shot in the dark*

Croatia?

At the time, wasn't it Croatia-Herzegovina? Although I'm informed that the country as such never really existed, since it's all in the mind, you know...

Omega

I'm starting to take some serious offence that the Italy was guessed twice.

None above.

I'm going to start giving the obvious clues soon.

Corgatha Taldorthar

*is annoyed at not having figured this out already.*

Ok, I'm going to write this all out so I can "hear myself think" so to speak. I have not read the comic, and I can't base what I know on what is or is not contained in it. (And I'm not particularly interested in reading it atm)

Assuming for the moment that everything Omega has said in this thread is true, we know that his country of origin has
- two national languages, neither of them English
-Fought, sequentially, against both the axis and the allies at some stage in the war.
- beer is expensive. (Not helpful for me, I don't know beer prices)
-Is not Italy, Canada, Russia, UK, France, Lichtenstein, Greece, Yugoslavia or any of its successor states, Sweden, Belgium, or Romania.

Italy, Romania, and Bulgaria were all Axis powers who later would "switch sides" as it were, due to prevailing political pressures. Italy and Romania are both out. As far as I know, Bulgaria only has one official language. Furthermore, Bulgarian troops, while their country was allied to Germany, did not actually participate in the invasion of the Soviet Union (although this did not stop Soviet troops from attacking the country when they were pushing back) so whether they warred with both sides is debateable. Put Bulgaria on the back burner for now.

Finland never formally entered into any sort of alliance with Germany or Italy, but they were co-belligerants with the Axis. Furthermore, as the tide turned, they moved to expel the German troops inside Finland. It has two official languages, Finnish and Swedish. I don't know about the beer prices, but they look like a good pick.

Thailand became a formal ally of Japan on January 25th, 1942. In June '44 they took some guerilla action against the Japanese after an overthrow of the former government. However, as far as I know, Thailand only has one official language, Thai, and is therefore disqualified.

There are a few other outlier candidates, such as the Philipines (the Japanese installed a pro-them government for the duration of their occupation, although whethere a puppet state can be considered as having fighting on both sides is questionable.) , Denmark (only one official language, but a fair amount of German is spoken, and while the country offically remained neutral, small groups of Danish people fought on both sides.) but neither of them feel quite right, and the rest even more unlikely (People's republic of Manchuria? It wasn't even a country until the Japanese set it up as an administrative easer), so I'm going to discount them for now, although in light of new information, I'll keep them in reserve.

I'm going to go with Finland.

Omega

Eibborn

I really do like the concept, but the execution doesn't quite suit me. It seems that everyone* is male, blond, gay, and chibi. I do like what the author's done with Canada, at least, and it is neat to learn quick cultural quirks and historical facts.

*Loosely speaking, of course.
/kicks the internet over