Bad movies of 2008

Started by GabrielsThoughts, December 17, 2008, 11:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azlan

I have placed a hit on the people who ruined the scifi classic The Day the Earth Stood Still.  It isn't Keanu's fault he is a bad actor, he just has no talent... I take pity on the poor man.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Caswin

Quote from: Azlan on December 18, 2008, 05:13:27 PM
I have placed a hit on the people who ruined the scifi classic The Day the Earth Stood Still.  It isn't Keanu's fault he is a bad actor, he just has no talent... I take pity on the poor man.
Hey, Keanu Reeves has one character he can play right.  That character is "Keanu Reeves."  Sometimes, it works. (See Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure for Keanu Reeves done right by Keanu Reeves.)

Although now that I think about it, he seems like he might have a much more plausible career in the "supporting character" business.  I'm not sure how he got to be the recurring star he is.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Caswin on December 18, 2008, 07:20:16 PM
Hey, Keanu Reeves has one character he can play right.  That character is "Keanu Reeves."  Sometimes, it works. (See Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure for Keanu Reeves done right by Keanu Reeves.)
He does totally-confused-and-out-of-his-depth really well.  IMHO that worked very nicely in The Matrix, and Johnny Mnemonic.  It just doesn't work in many other films.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Valynth

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 18, 2008, 07:41:28 PM
He does totally-confused-and-out-of-his-depth really well.  IMHO that worked very nicely in The Matrix, and Johnny Mnemonic.  It just doesn't work in many other films.

I believe "the good actor knows what he can act in what setting."  Sadly, most stars don't know what they can act, due to the over-inflated egos that allow them to be the centers of attention on stage and the results are lack-luster performances.  Keanu just doesn't seem to know what he's good at.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

ShadesFox

Is this like how Bruce Willis plays Bruce Willis man in all of his movies? 
The All Purpose Fox

superluser

Quote from: ShadesFox on December 18, 2008, 11:36:35 PMIs this like how Bruce Willis plays Bruce Willis man in all of his movies?

I do believe you're forgetting 12 Monkeys.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zorro

Wall-E was one of the best movies this year.  I didn't want to see it based on the advertising and ended up seeing it and loving it, see it before you discard it. :cool

Worst movie of the year was that damn Momma Mia!  I was Forced to watch that steaming pile of crap on the flight back from MFF and I want a refund for the whole plane ticket as compensation for THAT assault on my ears!  Jeez lets create a flimsy ass ed plot to stirng a bunch of ABBA songs together.  But they thought it better to use badly sung covers of ABBA songs!  [Too bad there is no ear and mind rape smiley to put here]

Jairus

Quote from: JackLee1978 on December 19, 2008, 10:48:45 AM
This sent a chill down my spine.
... I've never even watched Cowboy Bebop, and that terrifies me for some reason. The Day The Earth Stood Still scared me too.

PS: Before you crucify me for never having watched Cowboy Bebop, I know that it's one of the classics of anime and a very well put together show. I've just never had the time/incentive to watch.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

thegayhare

actualy I'm not a fan of cowboy bebop... it's a good show I just don't like it,  but I'm pretty sure this won't be a good thing

superluser

Quote from: JackLee1978 on December 19, 2008, 10:48:45 AMThis sent a chill down my spine.

As much as I dislike Keanu, he just might be perfect for the role.

One of the things that Spike Spiegel always had going for him was that he pretended to have no clue what was going on and that he was completely inept.

Now *that* is the role Keanu Reeves was born for.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... I have this sudden wonder what the Matrix films would be like with a hero like that.... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 19, 2008, 02:07:56 PM
... I have this sudden wonder what the Matrix films would be like with a hero like that.... ;-]

"Bang."

Dude... that would be SO AWESOME!!!! None of this "martial arts" stuff and flying around, just mind bullets!
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

llearch n'n'daCorna

.. I meant "inept and clueless", actually.

Rather than just looking inept and clueless.

Yugo

That's telekinesis Kyle!

Really, what I'm glad for is that Eddie Murphy denied being cast as the Riddler. That would just be tragic.
https://www.weasyl.com/~boximus<br /><br />My Weasyl!

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 19, 2008, 03:04:54 PM.. I meant "inept and clueless", actually.

Rather than just looking inept and clueless.

Well, that's what you had, then.

Spike looked for all the world to be a bumbler, but as the opening scene here shows, he was anything but.

Neo was supposed to be extremely clueful, but because he was played by Keanu Reeves, he looked clueless and inept.

So both works featured savvy protagonists who appeared to be inept--though one was by accident while the other was by design.

(Incidentally, one of the better reviews of the Matrix series, as well as a fun way to circumvent NDAs)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Er... yes, my point was, I wonder what the Matrix sequence would be like with an inept hero _by design_...

(also, I don't speak German, so the opening scene was a little difficult to follow...)

Alondro

Spike was once quite skilled.

He acts inept in the series more to cast away his past self than simply because he's an idiot.   :3

Kind of like Vash in Trigun.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Tezkat

Put me down as another who thought that Wall-E was a brillant movie.

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on December 17, 2008, 12:24:37 PM
Quote from: Black_angel on December 17, 2008, 12:21:51 PM
Space Chimps. Another one I have to hate on principle. It's probably a great kid's movie, but I wouldn't see it if you paid me.

BUH. Oh god how could I forget this one. Honestly, Blackie, from what I heard, it isn't even a good kid's movie.

Heh. So... everyone hates this movie, but nobody's seen it? :animesweat

As ashamed as I am to admit it, I watched the movie. Found it kinda entertaining, actually. Don't get me wrong. It's a bad movie. Really bad. The sort of bad that only happens when the filmmakers are actually trying to make something So Bad It's Good. However, I do believe it's possible that, in order to enjoy Space Chimps, you need to be under 10 years of age, slightly touched in the head, and/or under the influence of mind altering substances. I qualified for at least one of those at the time of the viewing. Your mileage may vary. >:]

Quote from: JackLee1978 on December 19, 2008, 10:48:45 AM
This sent a chill down my spine.

Keanu issues aside... Why must people keep trying to make live-action versions of their favourite anime? :dface It so rarely works...

(I honestly can't think of many successful examples. Death Note, perhaps?)
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Colgatecrusader

has anyone mentioned beverly hills chewawa yet?
I'm just really loyal to my brand... what can I say? Dental Hygiene is important.

Angel

The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Colgatecrusader

I'm just really loyal to my brand... what can I say? Dental Hygiene is important.

yakanaj

James and I really like Wall-E, but I do agree with the rest of the films mentioned.

radarnocturn

Keanu issues aside... Why must people keep trying to make live-action versions of their favourite anime? :dface It so rarely works...

(I honestly can't think of many successful examples. Death Note, perhaps?)

[/quote]

I heard the Cutey Honey one was good, the live action version.

radarnocturn

Wall-E was good in my opinion.  Those robots showed better emotion than I've seen many actors do in ages.
Wanted was a comic book movie, and I want the comic (they were super villians that ruled the world, not assassins), and I'm not sure I wanna see the movie
Saw V, was good as it revealed how it got his assistant and I swear, the tablesaws scene was freaky!
Deathrace was a remake, and while I havn't seen it, I wanna see the original.

Colgatecrusader

My friends actually said that Deathnote wasn't very good, one of them had never even read the manga. She was confused as hell.

Alondro

Oh yes, some more epic awful movies from this year:

The Happening
The Ruins
10,000 BC

That these movies got greenlighted is evidence that studio execs all suffer from severe brain damage.   :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Rakala

Wanted completely deviated away from the comic. I can't even explain all the differences. I thought the movie had too little action and also too much ridiculousness. I really disliked where they got their hits from in the movie.

Sunblink

Quote from: Alondro on December 30, 2008, 09:52:58 AM

The Happening
The Ruins
10,000 BC

That these movies got greenlighted is evidence that studio execs all suffer from severe brain damage.   :B

Oh damn, I forgot all about those. Actually, The Ruins looked really scary from the trailer, so I was pretty disappointed to see that it was actually quite bad.

Studio execs might not have brain damage, but the majority of them have absolutely no understanding of what people are looking for in a good movie. :B

Angel

Quote from: Alondro on December 30, 2008, 09:52:58 AM

The Happening
The Ruins
10,000 BC

I think The Happening suffered from a case of Good Idea, Bad Directing and Script. That being said, when I saw it, I thought it was okay. Not great, but didn't make me throw up like some movies. (I'm looking at YOU, Kangaroo Jack.)
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!