Keyboards and babies do not mix

Started by Brunhidden, November 03, 2008, 08:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brunhidden

yeah, set a baby bottle on the computer desk while wife was typing and i walked away to take care of the kids (specifically eowyn, who needed to be restrained and forciply put down for a nap) and change a slightly used diaper, when i got back i noticed the bottle was leaking, a puddle dripping from the desk onto the keyboard. wife yelled, we cleaned the mess, and it was still working. however i had expected that the first thing the wife would have done would be to tip the keyboard on its side so liquid inside would drain before it did any more damage then it already did, but she did not do that till much later that night, and about a half hour after the incident i had noticed that several keys either did not work, seemed to trigger two keys or the wrong key, and so fourth.... some of the non working keys we need to log into our accounts, so i will only be able to use the internet at work before heading home in the morning

eventually we shall buy  a new keyboard, but for the handfull of you who speak to me outside fo the forum its a good heads up that i wont be around due to my own stupidity. mia would say shes sorry for being involved, but shes chosen to blarf on my robe instead, she seems to do many things to make me take my robe off, i wonder if its on purpose sometimes
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Kipiru

Don't you just hate it when that happens. My brother spilled cola on the keyboard once and also forgot to drain it and clean it in time. We've had problems with stuck buttons ever since! So I feel your pain!

Tapewolf

My immediate thought was musical keyboards e.g. the kid poured milk into a $3000 Prophet-5 or something  :B

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kipiru

What ? Sorry for the off-topic but another commissar? Anyone else get the feeling we are being taken over?

Mao

Quite so.  In fact, most people other than the owner of the keyboard don't mix.  No one is allowed to use my laptop unless they understand that by damaging it they are then obliged to go lay down in traffic for a least 24 hours.  If they live, they've earned it.

Quote from: Kipiru on November 03, 2008, 09:24:10 AM
What ? Sorry for the off-topic but another commissar? Anyone else get the feeling we are being taken over?

Yes.

Dagardo

I as well feel your pain Brun, I've went through like 10 keyboards that way (give or take) and I suppose that's part of the reason I put my keyboard on top of my monitor, It's quite a safe place actually, so long as you watch for the cord and don't pull it down. But hey, just be glad it wasn't a laptop, those things are expensive, and if you leave drinks and stuff laying around near it you really don't have any common sense. But hopefully you'll learn from the mistake and sit the whatever somewhere away from the keyboard, or move the keyboard. Just don't go through ten of them like me. :B We're being slowly taken over by Commissars and it's all Rens fault.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kipiru on November 03, 2008, 09:24:10 AM

Ask Ren about the Commissars.  If what I meant wasn't clear, here's one:

Sequential Prophet 5 on ebay

Actually it's closer to $4000.  I guess the fact that I collect audio stuff, and the memories of how used to unwind my Dad's reels of tape and pour milk into his electronics are still strong...

VSMIT

Reminds me of an old Moog synth, but without all of the cables.  You can still get small Moogs with all of the patch knobs, but I can't remember how much they cost.

Tapewolf

Quote from: VSMIT on November 03, 2008, 11:11:12 AM
Reminds me of an old Moog synth, but without all of the cables.  You can still get small Moogs with all of the patch knobs, but I can't remember how much they cost.
Enough that you wouldn't want to let the kid pour drink on those either.  The Mini was reissued a few years ago and it was approximately £3000 then.  Though if you really want a modular, people like Doepfer and Analogue Systems make the bits.

Rakala

Wow, a keyboard? There's only two ways it could get worse. If it were the screen or the hard drive.

Brunhidden

thanks for the concern, i wouldnt have posted really other then so zedd and company didnt wonder why i fell of the internet for a few days

found a new board surprisingly quick, cost twenty bucks but its spillproof!

now if only i could find one thats proof against shedding fur on it
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Kipiru

Quote from: Brunhidden on November 04, 2008, 03:36:51 PM

Now, you are wishing for miracles! :)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brunhidden on November 04, 2008, 03:36:51 PM
You can get completely sealed keyboards, but they are as a rule horrible to actually use.