Scary Games with effects that Lasted...

Started by Turnsky, October 03, 2008, 11:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turnsky

kind of inspired by the movies thread over in another part of the forum, but dedicated to the video game end of Scary..

For me, i'll haveta Cite three:

Condemned 2 .... BEAR!  :<

FEAR..

And clive barker's Undying..

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Do you want to clarify that?  Are we talking about games with graphical effects that haven't dated, or scary situations that still give you the creeps?

Because if it's the latter, I nominate SS2.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Akisohida

Eternal Darkness. The *Sklish..sclorp..* sound zombies made.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Turnsky on October 03, 2008, 11:37:44 AM
Condemned 2 .... BEAR!  :<

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!! D:

It's even worse if you get caught. The death animation in first person... guuarrgh.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Lushin

/happiness.exe
Command failure: Command unkown

Failure. Abort. Retry. Fail.

Mao

The Silent Hill series.  I was still in my teens when I played the first one, and being a bit of a junky on scaring myself I waited until I was home alone for a weekend, and rented the game.  I played most of the day and well into the night and it just so happened that the old grandfather clock in my house went off (2 am I think) just at the same time as the air raid siren went off in game... and we all know what that means.  It was also of course summer so summer storms were quick to arrive and surprise!  We lost power seconds later.  It came back minutes after that, but sleep wouldn't come for a few hours despite how tired I was.

Ryudo Lee

Clive Barker's Jericho

That game still creeps me out, no matter how many times I play it... great shooter tho.  The environments make Doom 3 look sterile.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Dannysaysnoo

Alone in the Dark 5. The humanz were really scary, coming at me all "WARG" and all.

Rakala

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. Never listen to the bestiary of that game while alone.

.....it has no eyes.....

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 03, 2008, 11:45:29 AM
Do you want to clarify that?  Are we talking about games with graphical effects that haven't dated, or scary situations that still give you the creeps?

Because if it's the latter, I nominate SS2.

primarily the latter.

Kitsune Ascendant

not quite as scary to me now, but when I first played heretic, there was this room in the first episode, second map. It has some undead warriors (those axe-throwing things) behind a fake wall. Only problem is, the floor behind the wall is high enough that it seems like a real wall. So basically you enter the room, kill the easy enemies, and all of a sudden have axes flying at you from nowhere. I was horribly afraid of that room for the longest time.
I may be a bit young to be worrying about it so much, but I'm not changing this sig until I find true love.
yappities by silverfoxr, and are awesome.  Thanks!

Janus Whitefurr

Also, the Chzo Mythos series of games. Classic adventure style yes, but the horror elements are done very nicely. And sometimes violently. Simple background music and visuals can combine into something freaky.

Yahtzee's games > Yahtzee's reviews.

ithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurts
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Angel

Hmmm... barring American McGee's Alice (more cool than scary, though parts were disturbing), even though this isn't really a horror game...

The transformation scene(s) in Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask still freak me out. Just plain disturbing and scary. Especially Link's reaction when he sees himself, or that scream he does when he puts on the masks...
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Toric

Eternal Darkness. The random hallucinations mostly weren't bad if you knew that SOMETHING unreal was going to happen, but one set event stands out in my mind. The bathroom hallucination. *Shudders*
Yap by Silver.

Akisohida

Quote from: Toric on October 07, 2008, 12:52:28 PM
Eternal Darkness. The random hallucinations mostly weren't bad if you knew that SOMETHING unreal was going to happen, but one set event stands out in my mind. The bathroom hallucination. *Shudders*

The bathroom has the most 'eeek!' type of shock value but there was one that beat it for 'Oh shi-!' value; the Memory Card one. I was playing it on a friends memory card and went to save, only to have the game say 'Memory corrupt: Reformatting Memory Card' I was like  :aack :eek '....Reformat done!' O.O CRAAAAAAP! Then it showed it as a madness vision and I nearly cried with relief.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Zet

Any FPS with a darkly lit level that a flashlight barely helps with,

but I'm gonna say HL2 the zombie town. Everytime my flashlight need a recharge I would hide in a corner with my shotgun... THOSE MOANS SHOULD NOT BE NOISES SHOULD NOT BE SOMETHIGN YOU HEAR EVERYTIME YOU TURN A CORNER! 'A'

Tipod

I'd say Harvester, but that was really more disturbing/messed up than genuinely scary.
Barring that, The Suffering; every now and then, the game would flash a still image of the main character dying, a monster, flashback, or whatever accompanied by a screeching noise, often when in cramped or dark places. Really, I'm not sure if it was more annoying or spooky.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Brunhidden

this may not qualify, but its a fun story that is at least on topic

way back in the day i had a PS1 before they ever thought they would have to use the 1. yeah, the kind you had to set upside down to run for some reason. my brother had a copy of 'ultimate doom'. we put them both together in the basement, dirrectly underneath my older sisters room. we then took some small speakers and coroded wire to wedge in the rafters. my brother proceded to enter the cheat code to dirrectly warp to a very late level called 'tower of babel' which is just a really big courtyard with a number of medium to heavy enemies.... and one gigantic mother of all badass minotaur with a robot leg and a rocket launcher arm. my brother would then kill everyone but that last enemy, while i had the volume on the lowest setting. i would then slowly raise the volume, the only sounds in the game being the sound of the 'click-whirr-thump' of the one legged monster slowly stalking you and the creepy ambianc music (its hard to remember how good the music was on that game, just barely there enough to make medium scary demons into pantwetting if you have the lights out, maybe give you nightmares too).... a little evil on our parts, especially as i was listening for her to open her door, which was the sign to turn off our gear and hide.

but my sister deserved it, being nine years older then me and three years older then my brother she bossed us both relentlessly, a few nightmares is the least we could do for payback after a full summer of her giving us all the chores our parents gave her.

.......now i want a soundtrack from that game of just the creepy ambiance music
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Ryudo Lee

Then you will probably enjoy The Dark Side of Phobos, which is a Doom remix compilation album on OCRemix.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

King Of Hearts

Parasite Eve 1... the opera scene. Havent seen anything like it before so that was pretty much etched in my subconscious.

Vidar

Haven't played many scary games.

F.E.A.R had some good "holy shit" moments.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Teroniss

Dead....Space.....creepy........need.....towel..... :erk

Nikki

The only thing in a video game that has truly scared me in a video game is in Halo: Combat Evloved.

When the flood first jumps out at you. The first time i played it.

I think i screamed loud enough that i made my dad's ear ring for a few hours after (I was playing co-op with him).

But now i love the flood and think of them as cute, cuddly wittle tentacle-y teddy bears =B

I've been dying to play the Silent Hill Games...i wanna know how much louder i can scream.

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Turnsky

Quote from: Teroniss on October 17, 2008, 03:33:15 PM
Dead....Space.....creepy........need.....towel..... :erk

o/` "Twinkle Twinkle little star...." o/` yes, i got to that part.. the setting alone was creepy, the song being whispered through the halls, made it downright UNNERVING

Gamma

Only one I find scary is Dead Space.
I got it last night and today was just was sent back to the infirmary. I love how you hear voices at any given time, and possibility of insanity, feels so familiar. :mwaha

I'm playing on the PC, so far it's fun and has had many oh s!!! moments, the only time it can creep me right now is if I play it with the sound up and at night. Like I was last night, that, was, scary. The nasty things that they do to bodies, one word torso-shooter. Engineering was just the tip of the ice burg!

Doom3 was a joke, FEAR was almost scary, I have yet to play System Shock 2 I have it though, I watched my brother go through Silent Hill 2 so it got ruined. A game that doesn't have the OS moments, HL2 Ep2 at the mines that vort made me jump off the damn ladder!

By the way, I hate children.
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

bill

As a rule, I'm not a scripted sequence fan in FPS games, but goddamn, the Ocean House Hotel in Bloodlines is still scary, no matter how many times I do it.

The part where the kitchen tries to kill you  :cry

Corgatha Taldorthar

Part of this was because when I played Diablo, I was still something of a child, but when the Butcher goes "Ahhh Fresh Meat!" and then proceeds to kill your character in about 6 seconds, it sends a chill down your back.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Howl

Bonus points if it's not a survival horror.

I got nothing.

Turnsky

Howl